BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I agree totally with everything you say about Mowbray but Lambert played us. He 100% thought he was getting the Celtic job at the end of his time with us.

His having that exit clause in his contract was geared towards what he thought his next job would be and little to do with his dignity or Venkys running of the club. 

Like Rev, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

He wanted assurances that didn’t materialise. If he had been given the Rhodes money to spend things could have been very different. Instead, it just backed up his original concerns.

I trust Lambert’s judgement over Venkys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

From the moment he walked into the club he raises expectations and knew what was needed for promotion.

He produced a detail report of his short, medium and long term plans for the club.

1) Yes, a better manager than him!

2) Did he? Says who?

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Like Rev, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

He wanted assurances that didn’t materialise. If he had been given the Rhodes money to spend things could have been very different. Instead, it just backed up his original concerns.

I trust Lambert’s judgement over Venkys.

Again, this theory about him being told he could have the Rhodes money to spend is pure conjecture. For all we know he could have been parachuted in specifically to sell Rhodes.

Has his subsequent record not put you off him?

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for sharing.

Personally I'd take that very much with a pinch of salt as part of Lambert's PR and charm offensive to make himself look good in advance of moving to his next job.

I do remember him saying "This Club has got to decide which way it wants to go" a lot whilst doing absolutely nothing about renewing contracts.

Then walking out thanks to a clause in his contract which he'd inserted. I don't believe a word he said with the benefit of hindsight.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for sharing.

Personally I'd take that very much with a pinch of salt as part of Lambert's PR and charm offensive to make himself look good in advance of moving to his next job.

I do remember him saying "This Club has got to decide which way it wants to go" a lot whilst doing absolutely nothing about renewing contracts.

Then walking out thanks to a clause in his contract which he'd inserted. I don't believe a word he said with the benefit of hindsight.

Im sure the owners were backwards like they have remained and will continue to remain, but Lambert as you touch on is the king of PR. 

Any manager will have a plan, it doesnt warrant praise until it is proven by results to be successful. He has done various terrible jobs in recent years and still at times has spun things to avoid any blame coming back to himself until it is too late.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for sharing.

Can't renew contracts of players when the owners dont allow it. Lambert wanted to Graham situation sorted quickly as he was his main striker he wanted. How many of those out of contracts did you want to keep?

Lambert never trusted Venkys to deliver on their promises so wanted the get out clause. He was promotion push the season after but the owners didnt want to finance it. 

Lambert has pick some awful manager jobs since leaving Rovers. 

Anyway Rev, who would you like to see replace Mowbray?

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

So, essentially we just got Lambert earlier in his downward trajectory than we got Coyle or Mowbray. They all achieved about the same. 

Thats not true. Lambert got Wycombe to the fa Cup semi final.  Took Norwich to two promotions.  Did a good job at villa overall under difficult circumstances.  Hes leagues better than Mowbray or Coyle.  I believe with the right backing he would have had rovers in the playoffs.  Venkys don't like managers who have some balls that's why they got shut of him. Every other appointment has been  managers who are happy to go along with whatever they say. 

• Backroom

Lambert was theoretically a good appointment at the time. After leaving us he did alright at Wolves (pre-mega investment, remember), was only at Stoke for 4 months and didn't improve them, and admittedly did an awful job at Ipswich. I'm not convinced he would have done much more for us than GB, based on his track record post-Rovers. 

It is curious that he evoked such a strong reaction on here, considering he's one of the few managers to actually speak some truth about the club and the owners in the past decade. Any half-decent manager would have kept the squad he left us with in the Championship in 16/17. Even Mowbray nearly managed it. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Thats not true. Lambert got Wycombe to the fa Cup semi final.  Took Norwich to two promotions.  Did a good job at villa overall under difficult circumstances.  Hes leagues better than Mowbray or Coyle.  I believe with the right backing he would have had rovers in the playoffs.  Venkys don't like managers who have some balls that's why they got shut of him. Every other appointment has been  managers who are happy to go along with whatever they say. 

You've listed his achievements and they aren't much different to Mowbray's. And Lambert's career since Rovers suggests he would have got us nowhere near promotion, more likely relegation. 

Boothroyd's sole promotion from the Championship and subsequent 20th placed finish in the PL was even a couple of years before Mowbray did the same. His record post-Watford should have meant he was nowhere near the England set-up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anyway Rev, who would you like to see replace Mowbray?

If I were the owners I would always have had the view that the manager is the most important person at the Club and that money in that respect should be no object.

My shortlist would read something like:

Experienced names:

Bilic Jokanovic Hughes

Younger managers

Cowley Ainsworth Neil Critchley

• Like 3