BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Brentford don't have an Academy so why are they being brought into a discussion about Academies?

You said apart from Barnsley 'the other teams at the top are full of players bought when those teams were in the Prem'. I'm just pointing out that is wrong in regards to 4 other clubs currently in the top 6 including Brentford who have never been in the Premiership.

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What happened to his comment about signing defenders permanently this season?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19138535.permanent-defensive-signings-rovers-summer-transfer-agenda/

‘Not expecting a big pot of cash to spend’.

He’s already had that to be fair....

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

There are outliers but on the whole across the Championship you're wrong - ably demonstrated by the fact we have as many or more Academy Graduates in our 1st XI squad than every other team in the league. We just have a shit manager. 

How about Norwich are they outliers as well. Another category one academy who in recent years have had the likes of Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey. This summer they made £40 Million on two of those we wouldn't get that for our entire squad. Swansea another cat 1 academy have in the last two season made £25 million plus add ons, on James and Rodon. They also have the likes of Roberts, Cabango in the team this season. Why are these other category 1 academy Championship clubs manging to produce higher quality players than us?

18 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He's reached the point where they've stopped backing him by the looks of it. The Venksters will presumably now go in to sell mode like they did when they'd had enough of Bowyer. 

I've liked your post, although I don't like it, I agree with it.

It does look that way with his comments, however, what I don't understand, is why they do this.

Just pot him & get someone new in rather than turning off the taps - keeping him does no-one any good &, from the Vs point of view, just wastes another £20m on another pointless season!!

• Like 1

Just now, windymiller7 said:

I've liked your post, although I don't like it, I agree with it.

It does look that way with his comments, however, what I don't understand, is why they do this.

Just pot him & get someone new in rather than turning off the taps - keeping him does no-one any good &, from the Vs point of view, just wastes another £20m on another pointless season!!

It's odd if it's how it looks. Maybe they just reach the point where they lose faith and decide to ostracise whoever is in charge. There was a post by a @phili back in January that said there was a breakdown in comms between Mowbray and the owners and had been since late last year. 

Maybe they are about to pot him, or just as likely give him a new deal.

He's starting to look a bit gaunt to me in the recent pictures of him. Maybe he's under more pressure than we know?

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

How about Norwich are they outliers as well. Another category one academy who in recent years have had the likes of Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey. This summer they made £40 Million on two of those we wouldn't get that for our entire squad. Swansea another cat 1 academy have in the last two season made £25 million plus add ons, on James and Rodon. They also have the likes of Roberts, Cabango in the team this season. Why are these other category 1 academy Championship clubs manging to produce higher quality players than us?

We won't know what they're worth until we sell them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's odd if it's how it looks. Maybe they just reach the point where they lose faith and decide to ostracise whoever is in charge. There was a post by a @phili back in January that said there was a breakdown in comms between Mowbray and the owners and had been since late last year. 

Maybe they are about to pot him, or just as likely give him a new deal.

He's starting to look a bit gaunt to me in the recent pictures of him. Maybe he's under more pressure than we know?

He’ll be here as long as the training ground proposals are on going, a new manager could come in and totally disagree with them. It smacks of coyles season this when the taps were turned off 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

His main flaw is he's won 1 match in the last 12. We are underachieving - massively

Snobbery? 

So we should be in the Top 6 then, like Barnsley? But you said our players weren't good enough for the Top 6? I'm confused. 

We are underachieving, but the main underachievement for me is the state of the squad considering the resources spent. I think any manager who could get our squad into the top 6 would also be overachieving, which reflects badly on the squad built by Mowbray. 

I dont think Barnsley necessarily have a "top 6 squad" either and indeed are overachieving but at the same time, they do have some good players at this level and I wouldnt necessarily say that they have a worse squad on paper than us, thats just my opinion though.

That is going off on a tangent though from my main point that the academy and being Category 1 status is justified solely by the number of graduates we have within the first team, and I do not want it to be downgraded. Just because my opinion is that there are no stand out assets amongst them and that they have such big roles (like with the Derby graduates) partially because of the average standard of the squad, neither of those points are in any way a criticism of the academy or an allowance for our academy to be downgraded. You may feel that some of them can and will be sold on for big money at some point, and fair enough if so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What happened to his comment about signing defenders permanently this season?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19138535.permanent-defensive-signings-rovers-summer-transfer-agenda/

Christ.

Firstly, if there is any 'call' to be made on Armstrong for the next game, that call needs to be that he sits it out. We have nothing really to play for anymore and he is our only remaining 1) source of plenty of goals and 2) asset we could sell for a lot. If he picks up a serious injury now, we are goosed.

But worse than that...it's going to be a summer of loan signings?! Again?! How is that even going to work? We already have a bunch of players on loan who will likely bugger off. 4 isn't it? And the max you can have is 5. On top of that a huge chunk of the team are going to be out of contract as things stand. Bringing in the max loanees and losing the current ones only gives us a surplus of 1 to compensate for all the out of contract players. Yes, some of them might sign new deals, but there are quite a few most of wouldn't want to sign. And it's a lot of negotiating to go, on that many deals, with us moving at a seemingly glacial pace.

Those comments, with our head of recruitment also gone, make this summer and next season look like an enormous impending disaster. It makes me want to find if I can get odds yet on us going down next season.

If they have even the merest sense of planning, you'd think they'd have identified all of this. The only ways to make it work would be to either get almost everyone expiring onto new deals, or to meet the shortfall with youth players coming through. If we are depending even slightly on the latter, they need to start getting more pitch time NOW.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Christ.

Firstly, if there is any 'call' to be made on Armstrong for the next game, that call needs to be that he sits it out. We have nothing really to play for anymore and he is our only remaining 1) source of plenty of goals and 2) asset we could sell for a lot. If he picks up a serious injury now, we are goosed.

But worse than that...it's going to be a summer of loan signings?! Again?! How is that even going to work? We already have a bunch of players on loan who will likely bugger off. 4 isn't it? And the max you can have is 5. On top of that a huge chunk of the team are going to be out of contract as things stand. Bringing in the max loanees and losing the current ones only gives us a surplus of 1 to compensate for all the out of contract players. Yes, some of them might sign new deals, but there are quite a few most of wouldn't want to sign. And it's a lot of negotiating to go, on that many deals, with us moving at a seemingly glacial pace.

Those comments, with our head of recruitment also gone, make this summer and next season look like an enormous impending disaster. It makes me want to find if I can get odds yet on us going down next season.

If they have even the merest sense of planning, you'd think they'd have identified all of this. The only ways to make it work would be to either get almost everyone expiring onto new deals, or to meet the shortfall with youth players coming through. If we are depending even slightly on the latter, they need to start getting more pitch time NOW.

Have we not got 4 players out on loan getting pitch time ? When Mowbray said make a call on Armstrong, perhaps he meant go around to his house to pick him up.

Edited by rigger

48 minutes ago, rigger said:

Have we not got 4 players out on loan getting pitch time ? When Mowbray said make a call on Armstrong, perhaps he meant go around to his house to pick him up.

Worrying if we are going to rely on all four of those when none have really shown it sufficiently at this level yet. And it would still leave us with a significant shortfall of playing staff, especially experienced ones.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Worrying if we are going to rely on all four of those when none have really shown it sufficiently at this level yet. And it would still leave us with a significant shortfall of playing staff, especially experienced ones.

Where we are at the moment, we have to make the best of what we have got. If we got rid of Mowbray I think we would be improved in all departments. We could perhaps play players in their preferred positions.

42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Horrendous crowds in prospect next season even if only a third of the stadium is open.

Horrendous crowds will be there next season if TM is in charge. No season ticket for me for 2021/22,the football is dross and I cannot stomach more of TMs drivel.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Horrendous crowds will be there next season if TM is in charge. No season ticket for me for 2021/22,the football is dross and I cannot stomach more of TMs drivel.

If Mowbray is still at Ewood next season, I won't be. People outside the club will blame it on the supporters. Lets get as many as possible down to watch the U23s, to prove we support the Rovers, it's  Mowbray we have a problem with.   

Edited by rigger

12 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Just setting out on the road to 11th - 15th, knowing that despite what they may say in Aug by Dec he'll be shrugging his shoulders  again doesn't get the juices flowing.

So recruitment is data driven but in football you sign players based on what you see on the grass.

So happy that's been cleared up.

The man can spin a yarn that's for sure.

It also occurs to me that as it's loans to come how can you be on a Journey when you don't have the bus fare?

Mowbray: '' this club have invested a lot of money on different systems, data-driven systems that cost quite a lot of money that spill out the names of the footballers who spit out the names of the players we want to play'' - OK I will be honest, he fucking well lost me with that and I don't know who did the spilling or spitting.

Barmpot managers never work well.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

So recruitment is data driven but in football you sign players based on what you see on the grass.

So happy that's been cleared up.

The man can spin a yarn that's for sure.

It also occurs to me that as it's loans to come how can you be on a Journey when you don't have the bus fare?

Mowbray: '' this club have invested a lot of money on different systems, data-driven systems that cost quite a lot of money that spill out the names of the footballers who spit out the names of the players we want to play'' - OK I will be honest, he fucking well lost me with that and I don't know who did the spilling or spitting.

Barmpot managers never work well.

And Barnsley is his new go-to reference for the journey we're on. He's ditched the Liverpool comparisons.🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

In a 10 year period that isn't at all an impressive amount there are clubs in the Championship who over the last few years have eclipsed that amount with just one sell. 

There hasn't been any real quality come through for a long time, where are the next Phil Jones, Damien Duff, David Dunn, Jason Wilcox, James Beattie, Damien Johnson, Martin Taylor, Junior Hoilett, Martin Olsson? All of those came through the system and all had decent to very good careers as Premiership footballers. It's been over a decade since we have produced a single player of that standard. Why is that? 

You look at players like Paul Gallagher, Alan Judge both came through at Rovers and have had good career's in the second tier. Those 2 are better players than the ones we have seen come from the academy to first team in recent years.

The players we are producing at the moment to me are more on the level of Marlon Broomes, Frankie Fielding, Jonathan Douglas, Jay McEveley and Neil Danns. They were all decent run of the mill Championship players but nothing more, today though that standard seems to be evidence of a brilliant academy set up.

Bearing in mind that we could almost field an entire Academy XI and stay in this league, that's pretty impressive. 

We haven't produced a great player for a while - but I think that's mostly down to the competition we face for signatures in the North West. 

18 hours ago, bluebruce said:

How do we get to 13 million?

I can think of Hanley for 5 million, Raya for 3. The lad who went to Leicester for 1. Then a bunch that sold in the 500k or less region - O'Connell, the youth keeper we sold (to Liverpool? Everton?), Mahoney...think there might be one or two more I'm forgetting.

Are we counting Olsson, is that why? Seen him mentioned a few times here. I guess technically he counts, but he was a few months off being 18 when we signed him halfway through the season. I think we paid a fee, and he made his debut the next season, so tbh it seems a bit generous. We hardly 'made' him.

I think people should keep in mind that in the past when we brought through all the players mentioned, we could offer them a direct route to Premiership football. This not only makes it harder to attract youngsters, but it means we can't develop them with Premiership games when we give them a chance. This also reduces the profile of said players, meaning that when they sell, they sell for less than players who have 5-10 Prem games under their belts. It also means the calibre of loan we can get them is at a lower level because of this perception. Some pretty average youngsters get a shot in the Championship, and I'm sure at times this is due to perception. How often do Championship sides borrow youngsters from other Championship academies? That's not just down to academy status. I could be wrong but I don't think Derby send youth players on loan within the Championship and they have a top academy too. Our youngsters of course need to break into our first team to get exposure at this level.

Also, I think people are forgetting that a lot of these still have time on their hands, whilst we are looking at the ones from yesteryear when their careers are over or nearly over. 

Which is why I'd heavily lean on the Academy if I was the manager.

I'd have as strong as a starting XI as finances allowed and have the bench filled with Academy players. It's a great sales pitch for people on the fence about which Academy to sign for - if you're any good you're going to get playing time in the Championship with Rovers. 

Obviously we already have several Academy graduates in said starting XI, which helps.