BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

They’ve got a lot of players at the likes of Juventus, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and other clubs in Europe playing regularly.

If they all gel, they will be a force, make no mistake about it!

Every decent national team has players at TOP clubs. The USA is not a country we should be modelling our youth development pathways from.

It costs around $3000 a year for kids to play competitive soccer in America. Just 11% of boys and girls registered in clubs are from households that earn less than $25,000 a year. Meanwhile, more than one-third are from households that make more than $100,000 a year.

The US model is built on a pay to play system, which limits their talent pool. They are a country 10x the size and population of our own, with probably one tenth of the quality we have. Replicating a US system would be an unforgivable step back for the FA.

The EPPP has issues, PL2 Under 23's football has it's issues, but the system we have in place in England in 2021 is far superior to what's going on over the pond. For every Christian Pulisic you can put forward from the USMNT, we've got 5 players rivalling that.

Edited by JoeH

52 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The US team aren't shocking, and neither is the MLS. 

They aren't Brazil 1970 but they are solid. They are predominantly young, with the majority of the squad now playing in Europe. If they find a goalscorer they will cause teams problems at the next World Cup.

One of Rovers best ever players was American. Ryan Nelsen played their for a few years too. The MLS isn't the Premier League but it is a decent standard of football that is getting better.

I could opine for days on talent development of for sports in the USA. Up to u18 the USA's footballers are on par with anyone else in the world. It's after that where it needs fixing. 

As a league the MLS is a poor League but your national team at the moment has some very good young players coming through and I think come the 2026 World Cup (part of which will be played in the US) the US could well be viewed as contenders. Come 2026 the likes of Pulisic, Reyna, Dest, McKennie, de la Fuente, Weah, Sargent, Robinson, Musah and Adams are all going to be around their peak. However quite a few of those players have been developed outside of the US and very few of them have played MLS.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It seems that we dont have the money to even afford freebies, but there are some bog standard Championship players still available. Looking at that list, the below stick out, but I am sure that many will have lingering injury issues, hence why they havent been snapped up yet such as Bennett and Brady, or perhaps other question marks such as Mendez-Laing. Players like Wilshire, Sturridge, Dann etc are likely unrealistic for a mixture of injury and financial reasons, and there will be others who could be wild card options like Ntcham and Izquidero who again are likely to be unrealistic.

LB: Yuri Ribiero, Joe Bennett, Neil Taylor

CB: Kean Bryan

Attacking Midfield: Marco Stiepermann

Winger: Kadeem Harris, Robbie Brady, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Junior Hoilett

Most of the useful ones will have been snapped up by now, but with some, they may have less risk than say a Khadra who is a total stab in the dark, simply because whilst we know that they might not be stand outs, they are proven to be able to do a solid job at this level.

I'd say Bennett and Brady are coming to terms with the fact that their next contracts will not be on the level of their last ones. I'd say Brady was on at least £40,000 a week 

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

One of Rovers best ever players was American. Ryan Nelsen played their for a few years too. The MLS isn't the Premier League but it is a decent standard of football that is getting better.

Just to clarify Ryan is A New Zealander who started his footballing life at Christchurch United. So no relevance to the debate. I’m still to be convinced at the American model. They’ve had no success in the last 20 years that they’ve operated this model. Rich kids make up majority of places, not the talented.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Do we need another CM?

I think if we do sign a central midfielder, it has to be one that is attacking and can get goals. Longstaff I don't think fits the bill.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say Bennett and Brady are coming to terms with the fact that their next contracts will not be on the level of their last ones. I'd say Brady was on at least £40,000 a week 

I think Brady will struggle to get a club because he is made of glass, a big reason why I wouldn't have him here. Bennett hasn't recovered from a serious injury too, so both the type that may have appealed normally but with injuries, we should ignore.

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Every decent national team has players at TOP clubs. The USA is not a country we should be modelling our youth development pathways from.

It costs around $3000 a year for kids to play competitive soccer in America. Just 11% of boys and girls registered in clubs are from households that earn less than $25,000 a year. Meanwhile, more than one-third are from households that make more than $100,000 a year.

The US model is built on a pay to play system, which limits their talent pool. They are a country 10x the size and population of our own, with probably one tenth of the quality we have. Replicating a US system would be an unforgivable step back for the FA.

The EPPP has issues, PL2 Under 23's football has it's issues, but the system we have in place in England in 2021 is far superior to what's going on over the pond. For every Christian Pulisic you can put forward from the USMNT, we've got 5 players rivalling that.

Amen. We have players in Holland France Germany that can't get in the England under 21s.  Usa have some decent players but alot of dross too

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think if we do sign a central midfielder, it has to be one that is attacking and can get goals. Longstaff I don't think fits the bill.

I think Brady will struggle to get a club because he is made of glass, a big reason why I wouldn't have him here. Bennett hasn't recovered from a serious injury too, so both the type that may have appealed normally but with injuries, we should ignore.

Brady has scored some important goals for Ireland, but I don't think he is that good to be honest, even before the injury record. Interesting to see where he ends up 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Lewis Holtby signed 2-year deal at Holstein Kiel

When you look at the clubs our departed players have gone to, it does make you realise what dross they were. Holtby gone to a club I've never heard of in the second division of German football and the rest below via Rich Sharpe. 

Of those released by Rovers in the summer: Downing (retired), Bennett (Shrewsbury), Mulgrew (Dundee United), Evans (Sunderland), Holtby (Holstein Kiel), Bell (Luton). Of the loanees: Harwood-Bellis (Anderlecht) and Douglas (Lech Poznan).
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

When you look at the clubs our departed players have gone to, it does make you realise what dross they were. Holtby gone to a club I've never heard of in the second division of German football and the rest below via Rich Sharpe. 

Of those released by Rovers in the summer: Downing (retired), Bennett (Shrewsbury), Mulgrew (Dundee United), Evans (Sunderland), Holtby (Holstein Kiel), Bell (Luton). Of the loanees: Harwood-Bellis (Anderlecht) and Douglas (Lech Poznan).

Holtby wasn't complete dross, just didn't do enough. Don't think his heart was in it - especially after his wife gave birth back in Germany. I think his plan was always to go back there. TM makes out it was a club decision to not offer a new contract, but I'm not so sure. Holtby probably already stated his desire to leave. 

Bit harsh on Downing too, was good the first season and barely used the following - pointless bringing him back.

The rest were deadwood and it was always clear they would have to drop down. Evans though, thought he might have been able to get another Championship club.

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Holtby wasn't complete dross, just didn't do enough. Don't think his heart was in it - especially after his wife gave birth back in Germany. I think his plan was always to go back there. TM makes out it was a club decision to not offer a new contract, but I'm not so sure. Holtby probably already stated his desire to leave. 

Bit harsh on Downing too, was good the first season and barely used the following - pointless bringing him back.

The rest were deadwood and it was always clear they would have to drop down. Evans though, thought he might have been able to get another Championship club.

Holtby was a big disappointment. A very talented and technically gifted player, who unfortunately only showed glimpses. Circumstances didn't help him much. A shame as he seemed like an enthusiastic 'good guy'.

Wish him all the best

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I never said we should model anything on anyone, that’s your thing. 
You said their national team was shocking, which I disagreed with, as have others to be fair. I’ll leave it there.

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

'That good'? I said affordable and 'could be useful'. Not exactly a high bar, I'm literally thinking of plugging gaps in our squad.

Why did nobody else clamour to sign Nelsen or Samba or Tugay or Friedel or Graham or Mulgrew or Dack or Kaminski 'if they are that good'? All players we signed without battling another club.

We need players who will add quality. Yes there are few free players who might but depends on wages demands. 

How many of us ever heard of Nelsen or Sambe before Hughes signed them? 

Tugay and Friedal was known to Souness through past connections of managing them.

Kaminski was scouted for ages and recommend by our former head of European scouting Glyn Chamberlain

6 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Mr Nixon has just confirmed we are looking into free agent Kean Bryan (centre-back) along with Middlesbrough 🙄

Would be fairly good signing and could possible fill in at left back if need be

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Would take him as he is quality midfielder and someone Mowbray wanted to sign  last January on a permanent deal

52 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Just to clarify Ryan is A New Zealander who started his footballing life at Christchurch United. So no relevance to the debate. I’m still to be convinced at the American model. They’ve had no success in the last 20 years that they’ve operated this model. Rich kids make up majority of places, not the talented.

No relevance? He played at a US university with Rovers signing him after he played a few seasons n the MLS. He wasn't the finished article by any stretch when he left New Zealand. 

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I never said we should model anything on anyone, that’s your thing. 
You said their national team was shocking, which I disagreed with, as have others to be fair. I’ll leave it there.

I'm not defending the American model either. It has massive issues. However, like you, I take issue with calling the USA team "shocking". 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

As a league the MLS is a poor League but your national team at the moment has some very good young players coming through and I think come the 2026 World Cup (part of which will be played in the US) the US could well be viewed as contenders. Come 2026 the likes of Pulisic, Reyna, Dest, McKennie, de la Fuente, Weah, Sargent, Robinson, Musah and Adams are all going to be around their peak. However quite a few of those players have been developed outside of the US and very few of them have played MLS.

I do agree with you that for the USA to make it big either the MLS needs to start offering big money to players, although that will trigger memories of the old NASL arms race and eventual bankruptcy, or ship as many off to Europe quickly. It's currently the latter. 

My biggest gripe with the MLS is it's lack of relegation. There are now enough teams to have 2 divisions. However, the commercial aspect and desire to fall in line with other US sports sadly leads me to believe that it will never happen, although the US fan would welcome it.

I also support England but living in the USA I do hope that the USA does well as they not only compete against other teams, but their own country too.

In comparison to England, which is what this conversation was originally about, the USMNT IS shocking. A country with 10x the population of ours, with nothing to show for it. The quality of the league is poor, the quality of the national team is nothing like ours, and the youth development has major flaws.

After the confirmed early summer interest in Ntcham, he is the one I really want to finish our midfield recruitment.

Mowbray, to be fair, does like his annual "high profile" 11th hour free transfer. Jack Rodwell, Lewis Holtby and Daniel Ayala the past 3 seasons. 

Ntcham is one to monitor until he signs elsewhere. I don't give it a 0% chance with each passing day he goes unsigned.

• Like 1

Two games in and Mogadon is coming out with this shite: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-team-news-forest-21332142

Did the club release 12 players without the smoggie simpleton realising? Who could have known that when that many leave it would leave holes in the squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

If there were some way of totting up the cumulative wages of that group when with us in comparison to what they will be on now I'm sure the contrast would be enormous, truly highlighting the financial mismanagement of the current regime. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

After the confirmed early summer interest in Ntcham, he is the one I really want to finish our midfield recruitment.

Mowbray, to be fair, does like his annual "high profile" 11th hour free transfer. Jack Rodwell, Lewis Holtby and Daniel Ayala the past 3 seasons. 

Ntcham is one to monitor until he signs elsewhere. I don't give it a 0% chance with each passing day he goes unsigned.

Not sure I agree with you, seen ntcham a good few times for Celtic having worked in Glasgow at football games, he goes from looking really good to disinterested and a liability. There is no consistency there and we have too many like that currently for my liking 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19519380.blackburn-rovers-transfer-search-set-go-wire/

It seems like we are going to try and get experience through the market after all, but it requires the risk of waiting as long as possible at which time the parent club will become more desperate. We do desperately need experience if possible although 3 games will have passed before the end of the window, and his experienced loanees last year were shit, I hope he doesn't go back for the useless Trybull. Also, he wanted Ben Davies from Liverpool but we couldn't afford him.

This doesn't imply that he is going to get the funds to get in a proper replacement for Armstrong either, although maybe that is taking the below too literally:

“I’m pretty confident that by the end of the window we’ll have probably filled our loan quota and hopefully we might have signed one or two young players.”

3 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Two games in and Mogadon is coming out with this shite: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-team-news-forest-21332142

Did the club release 12 players without the smoggie simpleton realising? Who could have known that when that many leave it would leave holes in the squad.

He implied last week or the week before that he didn't know that it would be solely relying on kids on loan, and perhaps that the players released were done so because of their wages and he didnt have full say on that.

11 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

They are doing even less training than usual - is that possible 🤔😉

• Like 2