BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Nottingham Forest (a) 18/8/21

Got to say an excellent start to the league campaign from Mowbray and his team. 7 points from 9, two of those games away from home. Ayala a colossus and the more we see of him, the better our defence this season. Excellent cameo from Chapman. Should Kaminski have done better with their goal? Buckley getting into the right positions but he really should have scored at least once tonight. Must be our best start to the season for a decade?

I'll never work out the Dolan in the centre and Gally on the wing thing, though...West Brom will be the toughest test yet though, swap Dolan and Gally around for that, for the love of god Tony!

• Like 2

Love how football is so weird. I don't think a single fan would have predicted a strong start to the season given the players we lost and the lack of players brought in.

But here we are.... 7 points from 9....

Anyway - I really feel Buckley is under rated. He's our best passer, got good bite in the tackle (made a couple of really good ones today), can carry the ball forward and beat players, picks up good positions. Should have scored one today but he gets in the right spaces. Him, Trav and Rothwell is such an enjoyable midfield.

Carter looks good. And while Armstrong is an exceptional striker and a big loss, it's obvious how much better the forward line is at pressing without him. Some really outstanding pressing today from all the front three which Forest couldn't cope with.

Really looking forward to West Brom.

• Like 1

Ground out a good win 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Some really good performances from a number of players benefiting from a run of games, and fair play to Chapman who took his chance tonight.

As I’ve mentioned before I think in part the smaller squad has helped on two fronts:

• Less squad rotation so players have settled into their respective roles
  • Less reliance on loan players who aren’t as invested in the club

A positive start to the season.

Two potential hurdles:

• TM might put Ayala and Lenihan upfront on Saturday.
  • WBA look very good.
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Love how football is so weird. I don't think a single fan would have predicted a strong start to the season given the players we lost and the lack of players brought in.

But here we are.... 7 points from 9....

Anyway - I really feel Buckley is under rated. He's our best passer, got good bite in the tackle (made a couple of really good ones today), can carry the ball forward and beat players, picks up good positions. Should have scored one today but he gets in the right spaces. Him, Trav and Rothwell is such an enjoyable midfield.

Carter looks good. And while Armstrong is an exceptional striker and a big loss, it's obvious how much better the forward line is at pressing without him. Some really outstanding pressing today from all the front three which Forest couldn't cope with.

Really looking forward to West Brom.

Shame Buckley can't take good goalscoring opportunities

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That was hard won.  Delighted with the way we are defending.  When fit, Ayala is exactly what we've missed.  Gallagher put some shift in once playing down the middle, he's lost on the wing.  

Finally, a doff of the cap to Chapman.  That was a super cameo both going forward and defensively.  Surprisingly it came from him playing in his natural position in the wing. Long may that continue.

The 2 fullbacks also did well. 

Well done rovers and it would be churlish not to congratulate Mowbray.

I think Chapman came on at wing back in a 352, so a reasonably mental move, but it worked.

We've got to be fair to Mowbray, his tactics are still odd but they are doing the business atm. So credit where its due.

For what it's worth I really like the switch to 352 mid game. Both Millwall and Forest have really struggled with it when we changed. I feel it gives us a totally new option.

A great win and a very nice start to the season, and fair play to Mowbray, I don't think he is suddenly the man to take us forward and I think a few of his decisions even in victory are curious but he deserves credit if we win.

Travis was absolutely superb, man of the match for me. Ayala is an excellent defender at this level and him and Lenihan were excellent at the back, proper defenders and the goals are a bonus and something that they need to add. Such a shame that they again failed to get a clean sheet, Pickering was otherwise good but he shouldn't have let him cut inside. Carter did look like a centre back out of position but in the circumstances, he more than justified his selection with an excellent performance. Kaminski fairly untested.

Rothwell had that one superb run and pass but was otherwise fairly quiet, and Buckley missed a couple of guilt edged chances. I also think that it is refreshing to see us become a threat from set pieces, but in open play we look fairly toothless. We need some recruits in attack, out wide and from midfield to add a goal threat, Dolan looks well short at this level although the position doesnt suit him nor Gallagher who worked tirelessly. Brereton was really poor too, his performance level in the first 4 games has been substandard, goals will always take precedent but he is not a totally transformed player after his goal v Bolivia, lets be frank. I thought Chapman was superb off the bench and I would go Chapman right, Brereton left and Gallagher central at the weekend.

• Like 4

Great Result! The lads really battled and worked for that. Thought we deserved it, Forest didn’t have any serious chances of note, even their goal came from nothing. Wish I could of been there in the away end! 

West Brom is gonna be tough. Think we’re gonna have to go direct to bypass their press.  

Kaminski 

Nymabe/Pike Carter Ayala Lenihan Pickering

Buckley Travis Rothwell

Gally Diaz

This has to be our lineup on Saturday imo In a  5-3-2/3-5-2 formation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Been out playing football myself and just managed to catch up now.

Very good win and continues the strong start to the season so far. Really happy that we’ve had both centre backs scoring too!

However, WBA will be one hell of a test on Saturday, can’t believe how convincingly they’ve swept Sheffield United aside! 
(Especially considering they’d be one of the promotion favourites!)

Have you seen the goals in the WBA game? That keeper for the blades looks terrible.

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah, but it feels to me like he will start scoring regularly soon. On the cusp. 

If you get in the right places they come through eventually.

Aye he wasn't even getting in these positions previously, if he nails the shooting he will be a real asset. Bang one on and I'm sure more will follow....

• Like 1

What a good result, just got in and feared the worst when I logged on.

Well done Rovers , will be a different game on Saturday though.

Two defenders scoring so I'm presuming set pieces?

Far better start to the season than I ever imagined, avoid defeat against WBA would be a seriously good result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

That's what we are up against these days. Seems some are hell bent on blindly defending for some reason.

And some are hell bent on never giving him any credit .

Did you give him credit in the Swansea game?Any credit for the wonderful pass which led to our opening goal.

He played alright tonight notthing special but not awful either which you seem intent on making out , his finishing was poor but he isn't the first player in the world to miss a couple of chances.He is getting into good positions

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

And some are hell bent on never giving him any credit .

Did you give him credit in the Swansea game?Any credit for the wonderful pass which led to our opening goal.

He played alright tonight notthing special but not awful either which you seem intent on making out , his finishing was poor but he isn't the first player in the world to miss a couple of chances.He is getting into good positions

I don’t know what he was doing for that chance he missed. He side footed it when he should have give it the laces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t know what he was doing for that chance he missed. He side footed it when he should have give it the laces.

Agreed he should have finished it off but he still played his part in our win.If he keeps getting into those positions then he will get a few goals 

• Like 1