BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Nottingham Forest (a) 18/8/21

Pleased with the win, 

massive performances from Ayala, travis and Carter 

room for improvement - rothwell and brereton need to step up and get consistent 

jury still out- Buckley . I really can’t make my mind up if he is useful or the next Lowe 

pickering- good delivery but I was expecting marauding runs to the byline and whipping it in as well as better defending- at fault for the goal to a point, let the shot come in. 

let’s hope this isn’t another false dawn, we have been down this road way too many times. For the record I’m not expecting anything from wba but it’s how we bounce back that’s important 

Let’s hope for further good news in the coming days with transfers 

• Like 1

Buckley definitely isn’t the next Lowe. He’s only 21 for god sake.

Whats with this board and writing off youngsters? We aren’t Chelsea that can loan them out for a while and bring them back.

Hes a very good footballer and he’s only going to get stronger and better. 

We aren’t going to buy anyone better with our budget.

• Like 4

I can see why TM plays Dolan up top. He’s a total pest. His pace and quickness cause real problems at this level. Not convinced he’s well suited there against a side like Millwall, but creates problems for sides trying to possess the ball and creat their attack from the back. Just wish there was a way that he could be a best to the center backs and then drop to provide cover so SG or BB could be an outlet when the press is beaten. I know it’s impossible for him to cover that much range. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Whats with this board and writing off youngsters? We aren’t Chelsea that can loan them out for a while and bring them back.

Take the stick out your ass, Lowe was 21 too at one time, and by 21 these days you should be well on your journey  In footballing terms. What’s with this board and the folk that take offence to every little criticism or concern. Snowflake culture to the max. For the record I was saying I am still on the fence with Buckley, how you got offended by that I do not know , waiting for it much 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Take the stick out your ass, Lowe was 21 too at one time, and by 21 these days you should be well on your journey  In footballing terms. What’s with this board and the folk that take offence to every little criticism or concern. Snowflake culture to the max. For the record I was saying I am still on the fence with Buckley, how you got offended by that I do not know , waiting for it much 

Sorry he’s not Steven Gerrard.

Sounds like your issue is with the board, don’t bring a 21 yr old footballer into it.

31 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

I think Lowe was captain of the England U21s........has Bucko even had a sniff of that?

Although I suppose Lowe was.a Premier League player at some point.  .

Slight improvement over the last couple of games but let's see how he goes over the next 10 games.  Needs to make a shot count soon.

Two disappointments for me tonight. I don’t think Gallagher will be any more effective in the middle than out wide. He can’t control a ball with any part of his anatomy, can’t beat a man, has no tricks, and his heading is weak and directionless. Oh, and a bloke six inches shorter pushed him around. Rothwell - fabulous bit of skill to set up Bucko, but he could have had four assists for them losing the ball needlessly in the middle of the park with us pushing forward.

4 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Sounds like your issue is with the board, don’t bring a 21 yr old footballer into it.

Posters like yourself yes, footballers will get criticised, split opinion, booed etc, part of the game and one that I feel fans that pay and love the club are entitled to. 
At the moment I wouldn’t even say he is Anthony Gerrard, he has some qualities but lacking in others, all potential at the moment 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Just really hope everyone can be patient. West Brom will win this division at a canter this season so hopefully even if we do come away with 0 points we can still get behind the lads. 

They won't like our high pressing game though, and they'll want to play with the ball which suits us big time right now.

I dont think that questions need to be ask about the patience of the Ewood faithful at this stage. No suggestion that we wont be patient in the ground. Questioning things on here is a different matter.

Not sure that West Brom will want to play with the ball too much. Under Ismael, a bit like his Barnsley team it seems that everything will be 100mph. Against Bournemouth, they played the ball forward quickly and were dangerous from set pieces, even regularly taking long throws. Very direct and in your face side, not one that will fanny around at the back for too long.

1 hour ago, Dolly blue said:

Couldn’t stand Mowbray before tonight….still can’t ….but that’s 3 great points for our club …well done the boys in the shirts, and well done all who travelled.

You must admit though that his new strike force of Ayala and Lenihan brought home the bacon!!! Genius!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Buckley should’ve scored today, but I’m encouraged by the fact he seems to get into decent shooting opportunities. If he keeps doing that, a goal will come. If he scores a single goal this season that’ll be more than Trybull, Downing, Travis and Evans managed between them last year. He’s clearly worked on the physical side of things lately, and you can see the difference.

The stick he gets from some is bizarre to me. 

To be fair, bar Downing who seldom played, the other 3 are defensive midfielders. Buckley needs to start scoring goals from midfield to justify regular selection in an advanced role. I think hes a mixed start, excellent for a half v Swansea before tailing off, invisible at the weekend, much more involved tonight although no end product.

15 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

How did @Bbrovers2288 write off Buckley, he literally said that he was split on him? Certainly didnt warrant the sarcastic Gerrard comparison.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Two disappointments for me tonight. I don’t think Gallagher will be any more effective in the middle than out wide. He can’t control a ball with any part of his anatomy, can’t beat a man, has no tricks, and his heading is weak and directionless. Oh, and a bloke six inches shorter pushed him around. Rothwell - fabulous bit of skill to set up Bucko, but he could have had four assists for them losing the ball needlessly in the middle of the park with us pushing forward.

Agree 100% on Gallagher, don't understand the clamour for him to go up front tbh, he's absolutely useless and has regressed massively from his initial loan spell here. And he was only average then. Shouldn't be in the starting X1 at all.

If any of the existing staff should get a chance up front, surely it should be Brereton.

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Gallagher looked better when we went 352 towards the end. Could suit him more to play as part of a two more centrally rather than on his own either up top or wide right. Means he has more to aim at with flick ons etc.

When we switch to him and Brereton as a pair in a 352 it suddenly make us quite a physical direct side which is a good change to have up our sleeve.

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Hi Everyone, can we just remember that we all support the same team and it’s a real shame people can’t bask in the glory of that and instead look to settle old scores.

Can we aim not to do that please?

Hi Everyone, looks like while I had the audacity to sleep, people ignored the above.

Also, when reporting posts, please can we not tell the mods to ‘warn this poster’ that’s something we will decide thanks!

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Seems a loose definition of writing off, or is it a determination to be outraged at someone with a different view?

As far as I can see, people en masse, are commenting on Buckley’s performance in one match, rather than saying ‘he’s totally shite and he will never make a footballer’.

If everyone was saying the latter, I would agree that was too harsh and he was being written off, but that isn’t what’s happening, is it?

• Like 2

Must admit that I was pleased last night that I went back on my decision not to do away games this season.  Thoroughly enjoyed the trip last night - apart from the journey back and the usual motorway problems that seem to accompany mid-week games.

I thought Ayala was outstanding in the centre of defence and totally agree with arbitro that Carter should be retained this season and be part of our squad.  Playing at right-back he handled most things thrown at him.  Must admit that I'm far from convinced about our left-back who seems somewhat one-paced and rather too easily beaten.

It was a good team performance with Travis being an absolute workhorse in midfield.  With Buckley and Rothwell not having a tackle between them it's left to Travis to do the donkey work and he covered every blade of grass last night putting in the sort of tackles needed in midfield.  

Last night showed results are everything.  Forest fans clearly unhappy with Hughton - even singing 'you don't know what you're doing' at one point when he made a substitution.  Rovers fans cheerfully chanting for 'Mowbray's blue and white army' and the usual 'Mowbray is our king' nonsense.   

Some things don't change - Gavin Ward is still an exceptionally poor excuse for a referee.  Some of his decision making is beyond baffling.  

• Like 6

We still look disjointed and unbalanced and keep going behind however we looked more stodgy and workmanlike.

This is what you need in this league maybe the manager has finally got to grips with it. Better to be getting pats on the back from your own fans for grinding out points doing the ugly stuff. Than getting plaudits from opposition managers who've just beaten you for trying to play the right way and being nice.

Carter must stay and the possession based game must stay in the sin bin.

• Like 1