BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not far off, but I definitely wouldn't change the system. We need the stand-ins to know how to play our new way too.

A fair point.

I think the emphasis here would be on attacking and taking the game to Wigan.

I also think that Nyambe is really top of the list (behind brereton) of ayers that should be rested. He's prone to muscle injuries, he's given a large workload and we haven't got another right back/right wing back that is currently fully fit. So then you look at who can play right wing back and it's probably buckley who I wouldn't be risking either. Play a back 4 and you've way more options. I would like to see young carter have another go because he did okay at right back earlier In the season. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but as one of the surprisingly decent number of Rovers fans with a WN postcode, I thought I'd start the match thread for our (well, not mine obviously) short trip south in the cup this Saturday. As an aside, I've had a fairly complicated relationship with the club of my hometown over recent years. It was simple enough to wish them well when they were miles below the Rovers in English football's pecking order. Even when they found themselves in the same division - almost entirely because of the generosity of wealthy Rovers fan Dave Whelan - it was hard to dislike them too much when they were a source of an easy 6 points and the simplest of local away trips. All this changed after one of the more eventful games in our recent history in 2007, where a Santa-Cruz hattrick wasn't enough to stop a 10-man Rovers going down to a 5-3 defeat. Despite our record at Ewood remaining very strong (that game in 2012 notwithstanding), this fired the starting gun on a truly woeful run of form at their place. We haven't won in 10 attempts at the JJB/DW Stadium, stretching back to a routine 0-3 win almost fifteen years to the week, including a goal from a young Matt Derbyshire.  A simply unacceptable record against a jumped up non-league team.

Back onto the here and now, whilst we have bigger fish to fry, there are grounds for optimism in finally putting our recent run at Wigan to bed. Rovers are flying, and possibly a mere few months away from returning to our rightful position of at least two divisions above the Latics in the football pyramid. That said, after a year or two off the pitch that I wouldn't wish on the fans of any club, even genuine local rivals like Burnley, Bolton or Morecambe, they too seem to be on the up under new ownership. Callum Lang in particular has been banging them in, and with the form of both teams this has the makings of cracking cup tie.

Impossible to predict the XI of cup fixtures, but hopefully we'll get the proper balance with giving some squad players a runout whilst being confident of getting into the next round. Ideally I'd like to see something like this, with Butterworth getting decent time on the pitch too:

Kaminski

Carter     Ayala     Van Hecke

Nyambe                                               Edun

Johnson    Davenport

Dolan          Buckley           Gallagher

A sold out away end seems unlikely at this point, but the price of tickets are very reasonable so hopefully a decent crowd will see us through to the next round. 

I would replace Nyambe with JRC, but agree with the rest of your selection

Id stick with the 343 but rotate the full team.

Pears 

Lenihan   Ayala.   Carter.

JRC.     Johnson.   Davenport Edun 

Gallagher   Butterworth.   Dolan

Only would keep Lenihan as we don't have another defender to play right CB.

Still a good side imo. Don't think anyone there would let us down.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Id stick with the 343 but rotate the full team.

Pears 

Lenihan   Ayala.   Carter.

JRC.     Johnson.   Davenport Edun 

Gallagher   Butterworth.   Dolan

Only would keep Lenihan as we don't have another defender to play right CB.

Still a good side imo. Don't think anyone there would let us down.

I don’t think JRC is ready fitness wise and if we’re going to play Gallagher at least play him up the middle instead of out on the wing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

16 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

A fair point.

I think the emphasis here would be on attacking and taking the game to Wigan.

I also think that Nyambe is really top of the list (behind brereton) of ayers that should be rested. He's prone to muscle injuries, he's given a large workload and we haven't got another right back/right wing back that is currently fully fit. So then you look at who can play right wing back and it's probably buckley who I wouldn't be risking either. Play a back 4 and you've way more options. I would like to see young carter have another go because he did okay at right back earlier In the season. 

I think we have to stick with the 343 tbh. It's our identity now. Id look to play someone from the 23s if JRC isnt fit. I know Pikes on loan but there has to be somebody? Wonder if the young lad from Ireland could be dropped in from the sky?

47 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm in Lanzarote at the moment. Anyone know if it's being shown on Rovers TV? 

I may be wrong but I don't think that the FA Cup is on RoversTV.

Its on a lot of international TV including some of the big players (US/Aus) so will be easy to 'obtain'......... anywhere

https://m.livesoccertv.com/match/4215076/wigan-athletic-vs-blackburn-rovers/

Good effort. I do find it strange that we would only get an extra 500 allocated yesterday, sold out in no time, and now have to suspend sales until Saturday.

Would have made more sense to sell as many as possible today and tomorrow and then make a decision Friday on sales on the day.

Maybe they wanted to make sure that there were more than enough to sell on the day.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Good effort. I do find it strange that we would only get an extra 500 allocated yesterday, sold out in no time, and now have to suspend sales until Saturday.

Would have made more sense to sell as many as possible today and tomorrow and then make a decision Friday on sales on the day.

Maybe they wanted to make sure that there were more than enough to sell on the day.

Wigan dont worry about the exact number of pies to order.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We have a maximum of 1,300 available on the day.  I was in the Club Shop yesterday and the Wigan tickets were flying out and a few 1/2 STs still being sold.

15 mins on the train for me from Preston and straight into the excellent Wigan Central bar.

Edited by Bad Boy

Surely it would be easier from Wigan’s point of view to send us as many as possible (say another 500 considering it’s only Thursday morning) and get them sold beforehand, instead of a horde turning up on the day without tickets?

Nowt as queer as football club logistics…

Edited by Mattyblue

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Surely it would be easier from Wigan’s point of view to send us as many as possible, get them sold beforehand, instead of a horde turning up on the day without tickets?

Exactly.  We can easily shift 1,300 on the day.

They are being sold from their main ticket office as well so imagine 100’s of tipsy Rovers fans turning up. 

I would have expected they would want to try and manage the crowds rather than creating problems.

I blame SW, TM and the V’s for this god almighty mess 😳

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Surely it would be easier from Wigan’s point of view to send us as many as possible (say another 500 considering it’s only Thursday morning) and get them sold beforehand, instead of a horde turning up on the day without tickets?

Maybe keeping the options open for those that want to leave a decision to until the day. With covid restrictions changing ( 7 days isolation instead of 10 with two neg tests) some wont know until the day whether they can actually go or not. Plus the ultra cautious who just want to know they re negative before buying a ticket and knowing they can  actually attend and not waste money by buying in advance .

Sign of the times ..