BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

Wigan unbeaten in 13 games, no idea what team we'll put out.

I hope we win of course for the fantastic support once again making its way to Wigan.

Wigan 1 Rovers 2 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

Don't think I've ever seen us win at Wigan.

My first visit there was the 5-3 defeat at Xmas (Santa Cruz game)

Since then think we've had a couple of draws and 3-4 defeats.

I'm expecting a strong side from Mowbray and expect us to beat them. We are a league above them and a better side.

22 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Back in our promotion campaign of 2000/01 we had a healthy cup run, all the way to the quarter finals, losing to eventual runners up Arsenal, who probably should have won, remember Michael Owen's late brace in Cardiff?

We despatched of Chester City at home in round 3, beat then Premier League Derby County 5-2 at Pride Park in the fourth round replay, before needing a replay at Ewood to see off promotion rivals Bolton Wanderers in the sixth round.

In fact we played Bolton at the Reebok twice in the same week, Saturday in the FA Cup, where it finished 1-1, though Rovers went down to 10 men after Flitcroft was sent off after just 9 minutes! Before famously, thumping our nearest rivals to automatic promotion at the time, on the following Friday night 4-1.

I suspect Souey's teamtalk was simple. If they can't beat 10 of you, what will they be like against 11?

Adding 5 games to our ''busy'' schedule didn't seem to cause any issues to that squad.

Winning is a habit and winning breeds confidence and competition.

A Rovers victory tomorrow with a series of strong performances from fringe 1st XI players like Ayala, Gallagher, Dolan, Butterworth, Edun etc... would send out a message to those currently in possession of the shirts.

I was at the Chester game.  A certain David Lowe scored for them

in fact, I’m confusing myself. This was 4-2 against Wigan in the cup in the late 90s 😂

Edited by SamTheShrew
Error

5 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Forecast was drier from around noon. Just as well it is at Wigan rather than Ewood which will be a swimming pool this morning

Absolutely lashing it down still at present  here in Wigan  - hope it does dry out ,always gets flooded around the DW /Robin park area area so don't rule anything out - don't forget your coats and bring yer masks

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Don't think I've ever seen us win at Wigan.

My first visit there was the 5-3 defeat at Xmas (Santa Cruz game)

Since then think we've had a couple of draws and 3-4 defeats.

I'm expecting a strong side from Mowbray and expect us to beat them. We are a league above them and a better side.

Steven Reid had thunderbolt at wigan on New Year’s Eve 05. Played them 12 times at the jjb since but not won in the last 11 meetings. Seems unlikely given how comparatively shit Wigan are

• Like 1

It's not a banana skin, it's a shit sandwich - no option to chow down and hope to delight the many faithful who are making the short trek to the end of the fooking world, or as it is otherwise known, Wigan pier.

Hoping for a  long overdue but very welcome ball in the 4th round draw. Whilst we can always glory in the memories of Clayton, Garner, Shearer, Reid and Tugay, may today be a time for new heroes to come to the fore! 

COYB!

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Gennoe was my hero!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Steven Reid had thunderbolt at wigan on New Year’s Eve 05. Played them 12 times at the jjb since but not won in the last 11 meetings. Seems unlikely given how comparatively shit Wigan are

12 times just at the JJB since 05? Have we really spent that much time in the same league as them? That's a bit embarrassing...except for the Prem ones of course.

In contrast to JH, I think we've only won the games I've attended there. What I think was our first game there, when we were at the time their record attendance thanks to us commandeering one of their side stands. I think we won that day but my memory can be crap. I want to say 2-0? And the Reid thunderbolt game, 2-1.

I feel bad for not attending now!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

12 times just at the JJB since 05? Have we really spent that much time in the same league as them? That's a bit embarrassing...except for the Prem ones of course.

In contrast to JH, I think we've only won the games I've attended there. What I think was our first game there, when we were at the time their record attendance thanks to us commandeering one of their side stands. I think we won that day but my memory can be crap. I want to say 2-0? And the Reid thunderbolt game, 2-1.

I feel bad for not attending now!

A good few in the prem. There was the 3-0 win New Year’s Eve (Reid). Following season another 3-0 heskey og and must have been one of the few games that lummox didn’t bag vs rovers. Since then played 11 LLDLDLDLDLL.

The strange thing about that is even though finished above us (league one) I don’t think in any of those seasons they’ve been the better team. Certainly not to go 11 undefeated at home. Hardly a partisan place to go either. 

Edited by matt83

21 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Love that goal.

An absolutely incredible hit.

That’s the first thing I think of for a Rovers Wigan game. Even despite all the bad form since (never realised we have had such a poor record against them since).

The word Thunderblaster was invented for that hit!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt83 said:

A good few in the prem. There was the 3-0 win New Year’s Eve (Reid). Following season another 3-0 heskey og and must have been one of the few games that lummox didn’t bag vs rovers. Since then played 11 LLDLDLDLDLL.

The strange thing about that is even though finished above us (league one) I don’t think in any of those seasons they’ve been the better team. Certainly not to go 11 undefeated at home. Hardly a partisan place to go either. 

The Reid one was 3-0? Someone above posted it as 2-1 and my memory for scores from so long ago is poor so I went off that.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The Reid one was 3-0? Someone above posted it as 2-1 and my memory for scores from so long ago is poor so I went off that.

I think so. But might be misremembering. Might have been the later one as well. 🤷‍♂️

Reid 1:03

Edited by matt83

I hope we put out a weakened team - give the starting 11 a rest as they've been played pretty much without rotation.

We have a sliver of a chance of getting promoted out of this god-awful division this year, let's not waste it by getting wrapped in up the magic of the FA Cup. 

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Which clownpants-wearing asshat are we getting though?

We have Tim Robinson who gave what I thought was the best refereeing performance of our season at Stoke recently.

There's the kids of death 😁😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We have Tim Robinson who gave what I thought was the best refereeing performance of our season at Stoke recently.

There's the kids of death 😁😁

The kids of death 🤣 I'm hoping that's what Wigan are calling the team we field by the end of the match!

• Like 2