BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

Why is Mowbray seemingly incapable of winning a Cup tie - even one against a side from a Division or 2 below us?

It can only boil down to attitude, whilst ostensibly he has picked a decent looking side today he obviously doesn't care about the Cups and this attitude transmits itself to the players.

If we somehow gain promotion no-one will care less. However if we don't and we collapse to mid table in the remainder of the season I will maintain my stance that he is a poor manager and that he is paid to manage us in 3 competitions and not just one.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The FA Cup really matters to the older generation, and I hate this "concentrate on the league stuff". A cup run and good league form go hand in hand, and I wouldn't be surprised if we go into a Tony death spiral from here

It's lost so much of its lustre that I see it akin to international weekends these days.

It obviously shouldn't be like that. It should be exciting to have another competition to go far in, irrespective of league form. But as it is I'll be more than happy if we win our next league game and get the rest periods for the run-in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The1mattjansen said:

It's lost so much of its lustre that I see it akin to international weekends these days.

It obviously shouldn't be like that. It should be exciting to have another competition to go far in, irrespective of league form. But as it is I'll be more than happy if we win our next league game and get the rest periods for the run-in.

The cups are meaningful and valuable to premier teams with large squads full of quality players (clearly not us).  It provides them chances to give minutes to squad players that need to be sharp if called upon. It’s also important for low tier teams to get an opportunity to compete against those in higher leagues. For a cash strapped, short sides championship team with ambition of promotion it’s really a waste of effort. 

still when you run most of your first team players out there, you want a good performance to keep momentum going. 

Edited by yankfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think it's very harsh to knock Dolan because the manager tried him out at RB or RWB.

I commented at the start of the game that I hoped Tinkerman Tony wasn't back.

I think overall Dolan has done very well overall in his correct position.

Pears I agree on, ludicrous signing and length of contract.

Dolan hasn’t played well all season, let’s be real. I think his touch is poor, outmuscled so easily, can’t play on the half turn, doesn’t look quick at all anymore, and the grit and hussle has gone. Sorry but that’s what I’m seeing. Closer to a loan out than a starting spot on a team going for promotion.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think it's very harsh to knock Dolan because the manager tried him out at RB or RWB.

I commented at the start of the game that I hoped Tinkerman Tony wasn't back.

I think overall Dolan has done very well overall in his correct position.

Pears I agree on, ludicrous signing and length of contract.

Strange that Mowbray kept him there for the entire game. The lad clearly can't defend and wasn't effective going forward from that position, so why the hell was he kept there?

• Like 3

To be honest we looked totally solid and in control up until the Pears Show. We've been saying it a lot recentky but if we'd had some better decision making in the final third we should have scored a couple more.

That said have to say Edun and Dolan didnt convince in the wing backs and Johnson was absolutely diabolical at left CB. Really hope Wharton stays fit!

Think Pickering has been a bit under rated in here and losing him for a month could be a big issue.  Edun could get targeted a bit. With Nyambe likely off too wouldn't be surprised if our previously super solid defence gets a lot shakier.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why is Mowbray seemingly incapable of winning a Cup tie - even one against a side from a Division or 2 below us?

My guess is a timeshare that needs to take in late Jan/ early Feb every year. Will be sat there now watching Swansea v Southampton with fingers crossed for a Swansea win, Whitley Bay caravan Park here we come 🙂

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Quite poor today that but i wasn't really expecting anything else and for me Diaz and Travis would've been the first ones i rested.

Wigan as per usual leaving a foot or shoulder in every challenge yet Rovers get bookings. Heavy pitch, rough house team, Wigan is a shithole who only get excited when Blackburn are in town.

Not sure why a keeper needs resting especially when hes just come back but lets pray the number 1 is in for the rest of the season. Pears was everything i feared he would be before he had his good stint as stand in in the league.  Just goes to show how well protected he was.  He should be out on loan now lower down he needs regular games to iron out that nonsense.

Overal though not bothered we've gone out i think a late losing goal is better than chugging around another 30 mins. I hope Mowbray has got some of his tinkering out his system as well. Anything other than a return to the reliable starting line up will come under heavy scrutiny.

We looked knackered again today which is a worry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Dolan hasn’t played well all season, let’s be real. I think his touch is poor, outmuscled so easily, can’t play on the half turn, doesn’t look quick at all anymore, and the grit and hussle has gone. Sorry but that’s what I’m seeing. Closer to a loan out than a starting spot on a team going for promotion.

He was great against Swansea in the first match and good for the first month. Form and confidence lost since then. 

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I have to say I have never witnessed such a shocking goalkeeper performance in my life Pears was awfully ducking shocking 

You never saw Matt Dickens and John Butcher then.....

Pears was excellent in the league which is where our focus should be.

Edited by Gav

Just now, Gav said:

You never saw Matt Dickens and John Butcher then.....

As I said above, Dickens played ok that game against Wolves then made 1 mistake which cost us the game and he was remembered for it forever..

Pears just made 3, the second of which was far worse than Dickens. So I actually agree with @1864roverite. That will go down as the worst goalkeeping performance I’ve seen from a rovers keeper.

(The Dickens mistake for those that haven’t seen it)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Haven’t seen it from anyone over 5 years old to be fair

I played in my School first teams from age 11 and then amateur football so probably a 25 year period in all and I never saw a goal like that ''walk-in''.

Saw some howlers but nothing as bad as that.

The fans at Wigan saw a bit of history and will probably not see the likes again .......

The pain is eased a bit with Burnley and Newcastle losing.