BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tony had a free pass from me today but you always worry something like this is always bubbling under the surface. Today was reminiscent of many league matches and seasons in the recent past.

Hopefully past lessons are learned and today has acted as a stark reminder of what not to be doing.

Yes IF today acts as the brutal reminder not to experiment and over think things and prevents it happening in league games, then much as I love a good cup run, it probably is worth going out. 

But it is a stark reminder of what TM is capable of. Players out of position, suspect players being used. 

As for Pears there's poor and then there's not of professional standard. Having that in his locker makes you very wary of having him in your team. Like other poor keepers it's not that they can't have good games - it's a case that they are capable and will throw in utterly unprofessional performances that are negatively game changing from out of nowhere. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I played in my School first teams from age 11 and then amateur football so probably a 25 year period in all and I never saw a goal like that ''walk-in''.

I was sat square behind the nets, fifth row up from the front.

I got to witness the Pears horror show from very close quarters. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. In fact, I’ve never seen ‘owt like it in my 55 years following the lads.

As a season ticket holder at the DW for the Rugby League, I generally come away from the stadium in a happy mood. Not very often when watching the Rovers. Wigan have become a bit of a bogey team, especially at their place. 

• Like 2

Putting an optimistic slant on it you learn more in defeats than victories. So what did moggadon hopefully learn: Dolan cannot play right wing back, neither Johnson nor Van Hecke can't play the Wharton role, Pears simply cannot play again, I’d like to say before he went off Gallagher showed what he usually shows out wide i.e. simply not up to it. But the manager just won’t accept that one.

Hopefully mistakes that he might have made in more crucial games can now be avoided.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I was sat square behind the nets, fifth row up from the front.

I got to witness the Pears horror show from very close quarters. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. In fact, I’ve never seen ‘owt like it in my 55 years following the lads.

As a season ticket holder at the DW for the Rugby League, I generally come away from the stadium in a happy mood. Not very often when watching the Rovers. Wigan have become a bit of a bogey team, especially at their place. 

More than a bit. We haven't won there in the past 12 visits including today.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Super JRC was on the bench....why not play him if he's so good...?

TM said prior to match , the choice was 20 min in first team game  or 70 min  in under 23 match and the 70 min would be more beneficial for his recovery 👍

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was like somebody threw the magic boomerang (for the older ones amongst us) and momentarily everything stopped. I had to do a double take as he was stood inside the goal with the ball in his hands. It was bewildering.

In fairness to Pears I watched his reaction at full time and he turned to the Rovers fans and held his hands up in a kind of 'my fault' gesture.

I remember playing in one game were our goalkeeper flung himself full length horizontally to catch a shot in both hands. It was a jaw dropping save. As he was still in midair he tried to clutch the ball to his midriff and accidentally threw the ball into the back of the net. Even the ref was laughing. This was a lad who later played pro for Rochdale and, funnily enough, Wigan.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Buckley has been used on the right side a few times this season so why didn't he play there and Dolan in his role. I thought Mowbray hung Dolan out to dry today. I said a few weeks ago that my fear is that Mowbray will make illogical changes and over complicate things. There were a couple of signs of that today.

I don't think there were many options today .

Sure Buckley could have done WB and Dolan or Johnson starting in the  middle . But it's swings and roundabouts , neither wound be perfect.  

Personally I'm not too worried about going out , a good dose of realism at a time when something can be done about it.

A few unlucky games like today with injuries etc and our optimum will be gone . We need squad strengthening as it won't be as smooth sailing second half .

• Like 2

We’re out of the cup because of one man. Tommy K in goal and it finishes 2-0. Move on. Positive vibes create positive outcomes for a young group. Hopefully we don’t have to handle Aynsley in goal again.

Looking at some our keepers down the years, Mimms, Arnold, Gennoe, Filan Flowers, Jones, Bradshaw, Butcher, Dickens, Kelly, Given and the rest Inhave never seen as bad a series of mistakes, not even in Sunday league football, not in junior or secondary school and not even in the playground.

Its a horrid run of games and results in wiggin which has an Indian sign over us!

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In fairness to Pears I watched his reaction at full time and he turned to the Rovers fans and held his hands up in a kind of 'my fault' gesture.

Tony, we didnt need him to offer his confession. In fact,  if he’d performed like that at Blacksnape in the Darwen Amateur League he would have got twatted in the changing room and told not to bother going to the pub after the game.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, superniko said:

Jesus that’s bad. 
I still have memories of Reid’s screamer and Roques hat-trick. Maybe they were the last wins!

Roque’s hat trick was very much a defeat. They had a lad called Bent who also laid claim to the match ball that day…..

Edited by oldjamfan1

10 minutes ago, slowmo said:

I don't think there were many options today .

Sure Buckley could have done WB and Dolan or Johnson starting in the  middle . But it's swings and roundabouts , neither wound be perfect.  

Personally I'm not too worried about going out , a good dose of realism at a time when something can be done about it.

A few unlucky games like today with injuries etc and our optimum will be gone . We need squad strengthening as it won't be as smooth sailing second half .

None were ideal but I thought there were much better options than the one Mowbray took. Dolan just didn't look comfortable either defensively or going forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Tony, we didnt need him to offer his confession. In fact,  if he’d performed like that at Blacksnape in the Darwen Amateur League he would have got twatted in the changing room and told not to bother going to the pub after the game.

And if he had gone to the Pub he's be twatted there too

• Like 1

no room for sentiment in the pro game,you can`t rely on pears so get shut as he`s a liability,everyone can make a mistake but three in one game  is not  the required standard of a profesional footballer,reminds me of paul mckinnon,the striker so far off the standard it was clear to see,you can`t be carrying anyone at our level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

You never saw Matt Dickens and John Butcher then.....

Pears was excellent in the league which is where our focus should be.

His performance today made John look world class. I remember hearing a story that John was in the bogs at the Cav and a team mate told him to at least keep hold of it so as not to soak his shoes. This lad must be walking around in piss smelling shoes.

As a side note Johnson was fucking useless, Magaloir (spell can’t be bothered) has a mistake every match. Johnson took it to another level. For fuck sakes don’t give him another match. My mate who watches Derby couldn’t believe we gave him a contract. When is he out of contact?

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

None were ideal but I thought there were much better options than the one Mowbray took. Dolan just didn't look comfortable either defensively or going forward.

True 👍  I forgot Dolan was even on the pitch most of first half. 

Bigger fish to fry this season.

Willing to cut TM some slack today.

If Pears didn't do his thing, it could have been a fairly simple win , with a patched up team in some positions. 

Best time to show the lack of quality squad depth,  is when something can be done about it . Hopefully the rest of the month will be positive on that front. 

4 minutes ago, slowmo said:

True 👍  I forgot Dolan was even on the pitch most of first half. 

Bigger fish to fry this season.

Willing to cut TM some slack today.

If Pears didn't do his thing, it could have been a fairly simple win , with a patched up team in some positions. 

Best time to show the lack of quality squad depth,  is when something can be done about it . Hopefully the rest of the month will be positive on that front. 

I had a real worry when Lenihan went down as it looked really serious. He carried on but wasn't quite right and hopefully withdrawing him was precautionary. Our defence has been the bedrock of the recent form and in fairness only Van Hecke from the three was the only one on in the second half albeit on the right. Mowbray found a balance between Van Hecke, Lenihan and Wharton which has worked incredibly well. An injury or suspension to any of them will kill us as evidenced today. And I'm dreading an injured Kaminski after today. We are treading a fine line here which could be exacerbated by further departures this month.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think he worried about being clattered by Wigan incoming.

As in chickened-in

I think so too, that's why he stuck his leg out to keep the incoming Wigan player away. He wasn't concentrating on catching the ball.

• Like 1