BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Of course I would, he's been excellent when called upon, bad day at the office today, like the team had against Fulham, look at us now.

Posters have been looking for a reason to be proven right, Pears has just given them that platform for a week or so.

Mowbray will be next on the hit list, you watch.

What's Pears ratio of decent games to absolute howlers now? 2 howlers, 3 decent ones, what a GK and who knows maybe they'll create a new stat, howlers per match. He was shocking Gav, I'm a better keeper than Pears.

13 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

We win that to keep our push going...nobody will remember the FA Cup then. 

I'm willing to wager Pears will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Van Hecke took a kick to win the FK we scored from. I assume he'll be fine.

Mowbray said he was struggling and would have come off if it went to extra time. Nyambe injured (again) too along with Pickering. Absolutely grim day and we've got real problems now.

Why was he sticking his right leg out like that? He jumps then on his way down sticks his right leg out as stretched as possible, which meant all his weight went onto his left leg which carried him, and the ball, into the goal.

Utterly bizarre.

1649545216_Screenshot2022-01-08at18_13_01.png.c642555c5b3571dbc6e864747127698c.png

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

wigan are ****,unless we commit footballing suicide they won`t score,we just need to step it up and put the game to bed

Prophetic.

Rovers were a class above Wigan without playing well yet lost due to an utter goalkeeping horror show. If you ask me we wouldn't be talking about a loss if Travis had made decent contact when he had an open goal or Buckley had squared it to Brereton.

Did Pears save a single shot? It could be a career defining performance for him. 3 mistakes, 3 goals conceded. I've seen plenty of goalkeepers have awful games but Pears's performance was exceptionally bad. He was lucky to get away with another mistake too. If the Wigan player was looking at the ball he would have had an easy finish.

The final ball was non-existent. I don't think one pass made it to its destination.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We’ll lose this. Mowbray doesn’t do cup games! 

He hasn't won an FA cup game since 2017. 5 losses in a row. 

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Completely agree. Johnson Travis Edun Pears Dolan

Trusting in those players will not lead to promotion

I thought that Travis was OK, I agree with you on the others. Dolan and Edun get some reprieve as they weren't in their preferred positions. Johnson was terrible. He was so erratic and panicked.

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

You never saw Matt Dickens and John Butcher then.....

Pears was excellent in the league which is where our focus should be.

I did Gav  today was shocking  - 1st goal  difficult to say as possible could have swerved but the 2nd goal is just beyond believable - I hate to call keepers as know any mistake is always jumped on in that position but that was an easy take to day and it was a joke - honestly never seen anything like that in my life including my playing days.

Felt sorry  for Dolan being asked to play a position which he is obviously never going to be able to fulfill -manager error again.

Annoying factor is without even getting into first gear   we had this won once we took took the lead  - Wigan  had not really troubled us at all  - then we just said here you go and seemed to  give  up and go all casual

• Like 1

I feel really let down by Rovers today and that is primarily down to questionable attitudes from some of our players. Against a poor Wigan side too many just weren't at it as the tempo was slow and players wanted too many touches. Scoring first I believe actually helped Wigan as we went even further down Easy Street and allowed Wigan back into the game and ultimately chucked the game away. As strong as we've been as a unit recently today we simply weren't as players struggled with the simple things. I heard on the radio coming back that we haven't progressed beyond the third round in five years. That is an absolute disgrace for a Championship club.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I didn t realise Mowbray was in the sticks Rev ..ridiculous statement.

That team was a lot stronger than people on here even wanted him to play !

I know Mowbray can't be blamed for an all time poor performances from Pears (well, apart from signing him in the first place) but apparently a number of established players weren't at the races today either which is more my point.

It can't be pure coincidence we keep losing to sides a division or two below us in the Cups. You can't put it down to bad luck every time.

If we go up this season who cares about today? If not, it's something that needs addressing however.

8 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Pears was bad, real bad, but let’s not pretend this hasn’t happened to better keepers at higher levels.  

https://youtu.be/oF_EMVroX5w

No-one is pretending that.  
Just that it’s the worst rovers goalkeeping performance most of us can remember by some distance.

The worry is what happens if Kaminsky gets injured? Or just misses 2 games through COVID?  With a strike rate of 2 bad games in 4 can we take that risk.

I’d replace the  kid  we sent back to Liverpool with a loanee keeper.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

Not entirely surprised by the result. I was nervous about the likes of Edun and Johnson coming in again after the Fulham horror show. That said, we have been poor in cups for a number of eras.

I'm a Mowbray sceptic overall and his selections reminded me as to why - even if they weren't key to the defeat. Starting Gallagher as a wide forward is a discredited choice that Mowbray won't give up.

It makes no sense to play Bradley Johnson at centre back. This selection is reminscent of last season's efforts to shoehorn the elder 'statesmen' in Bennett, Evans, Downing and Holtby in every game. If need be, play Barnes, Magloire or Carter who are, at least, defenders. (Scott Wharton's cover is an issue as he plays LCB and I'm not sure we have anyone comfortable there).

Dolan at RWB seems like an unnecessary experiment. Put James Brown in there, if fit. Buckley's done a job there too. Or play Nyambe, if fit.

As was mentioned above, Travis needs a rest. He's played every game, I think. Where's Davenport?

Ultimately, Pears cost us but it's hard to be too harsh. He's barely played a game and expected to come in. He did well in the previous outing but this one might just confirm that he's not ready for a first team spot.

MWith Kaminski likely to be coveted by other clubs and his contract winding down, I think the future goalkeeper position is a worrying one for Rovers. All the other reserve goalies seem to be heading out, leaving Pears the obvious successor or a new signing

Edited by riverholmes

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Disappointing but hardly season breaking. Not going to blame the manager for a Karius-esque performance in goal. Beat Cardiff and this is forgotten. 

It won't be forgotten by me and I'd wager a few thousand others. It wasn't the defeat as much as the manner of it and my worry is the attitude which cost us today becomes a mindset.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Gav said:

Of course I would, he's been excellent when called upon, bad day at the office today, like the team had against Fulham, look at us now.

Posters have been looking for a reason to be proven right, Pears has just given them that platform for a week or so.

Mowbray will be next on the hit list, you watch.

That will all depend if the tinkering starts and the usual death spiral materialises.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

No-one is pretending that.  
Just that it’s the worst rovers goalkeeping performance most of us can remember by some distance.

It is the worst I've seen since I began watching in 1963.

Let's not forget Wigan also hit the bar when it was easier to score, also from a Pears basic blunder.

I wonder what odds he got?

• Like 1

First match I’ve missed for a while, though I’ve seen the Pears clips. 
I’ll skip over that as everyone is in agreement. 

I just can’t believe that starting line up. I’d love a cup run don’t get me wrong, if you’d asked me over the last 5 years or so when we seem to exit 3rd round but also be sat 12th in the league.
But why the hell is he playing Brereton over Butterworth or Lenhian over Carter/Magloire or Travis over Johnson etc etc etc.

Disappointing result, maybe a blessing in disguise though I never want to see us lose. Silly from Mowbray risking so many of our first 11 and pathetic “hands tied” comments afterwards 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Disappointing but hardly season breaking. Not going to blame the manager for a Karius-esque performance in goal. Beat Cardiff and this is forgotten. 

I'm worried about us beating Cardiff now. Some players seem to have adopted the lazy attitude we had before our good run.

I hope Wharton and Nyambe are back, we're going to have Pickering out which is a blow.

Edun isn't the answer at wing back and nor is Dolan.

I hope we sign some decent players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Khadra should start every game.... he's way better than Dolan or Gallagher.... Brereton maybe back to Brereton for two games now...need to get Diaz back...

And yet Brereton still scores if Buckley lays off the easy ball instead of being greedy.

That's what BBD has been this year.

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That will all depend if the tinkering starts and the usual death spiral materialises.  

Tony had a free pass from me today but you always worry something like this is always bubbling under the surface. Today was reminiscent of many league matches and seasons in the recent past.

Hopefully past lessons are learned and today has acted as a stark reminder of what not to be doing.

• Like 2