BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can anyone explain to me why modern keepers attempt to make saves with the wrong arm?

Pears would have found it much easier to save the 3rd if he'd gone for it with his left arm.

Its modern coaching theory so will be in the books Ben reads......

The 3rd one was the sort you see in amateur football, players takes an unlikely pop shot, in this case a floater, keeper out of position and bemused and does SFA.

The 1st was rank bad keeping.

The 2nd was surreal. I actually went into a bit of shock, thought I'd fallen asleep and dreamt it. Then went through a ''WTF just happened'' experience and realised I was wide awake.

After Ayala  scored I thought ok, it finishes a draw and Pears redeems himself in the pen shootout.

Silly me ... We Are Rovers!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Not entirely surprised by the result. I was nervous about the likes of Edun and Johnson coming in again after the Fulham horror show. That said, we have been poor in cups for a number of eras.

I'm a Mowbray sceptic overall and his selections reminded me as to why - even if they weren't key to the defeat. Starting Gallagher as a wide forward is a discredited choice that Mowbray won't give up.

It makes no sense to play Bradley Johnson at centre back. This selection is reminscent of last season's efforts to shoehorn the elder 'statesmen' in Bennett, Evans, Downing and Holtby in every game. If need be, play Barnes, Magloire or Carter who are, at least, defenders. (Scott Wharton's cover is an issue as he plays LCB and I'm not sure we have anyone comfortable there).

Dolan at RWB seems like an unnecessary experiment. Put James Brown in there, if fit. Buckley's done a job there too. Or play Nyambe, if fit.

As was mentioned above, Travis needs a rest. He's played every game, I think. Where's Davenport?

Ultimately, Pears cost us but it's hard to be too harsh. He's barely played a game and expected to come in. He did well in the previous outing but this one might just confirm that he's not ready for a first team spot.

MWith Kaminski likely to be coveted by other clubs and his contract winding down, I think the future goalkeeper position is a worrying one for Rovers. All the other reserve goalies seem to be heading out, leaving Pears the obvious successor or a new signing

It's not harsh, he is paid to be the backup Gk for a club that is 2nd in Div 2. It was embarassing. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He actually should have saved the 3rd quite easily.

It’s a tip over the crossbar for any other goalkeeper but he’s too far forward, napping not expecting a shot. Wigan saw we had shoot on sight policy on offer and they buried us. Lesson learned 

Eh, this forum probably needed a good vent haha...

Shame that Carter or Davenport couldn't get some gametime. I'm guessing they were the Covid players?

13 minutes ago, superniko said:

Regardless of Dolans talent / non-talent. Who the hell would play him as a wing back? 
Not quite Gallagher right back levels but not far off.

(Didn’t watch the match so it’s a blind comment)

It kinda worked okay in the first half as Lenihan was often overlapping and providing defensive support on the right. I think part of why the back 3 has been working well for us is Lenihan has been thriving with the increased flexibility it gives him. But then Lenihan went off and van Hecke was a bit more awkward in support on the right. And it was simply a poor game from Dolan.

Probably more an indication of how far off JRC still is that he didn't even get subbed on... Shame Chapman's cup tied as maybe would've been one last opportunity for him to impress.

Don't mind it for the sake of giving Nyambe a rest. And would've gotten away with it in the end if it wasn't for Pears' horrorshow...

Edited by RoverCanada

The co-commentator on the BBC said Pears was the worse performance he’d seen in nearly 50 years watching football. Have to agree. I’ve never seen anything as bad as that. It’s a career ending George Weah’s cousin never again type performance.  

• Like 5

The most frustrating thing is that realistically, we defended well throughout the entire match, limiting them to a few crosses and not much else. Pears moves into the inglorious Duffy club for single-handedly throwing away a game for Rovers. I’ve just watched the highlights of Newcastle’s match where Cambridge’s keeper pulled off a succession of blinders. To say I took no enjoyment would be an understatement. I hope Wigan get the most mundane and pointless away draw in the next round or that an extended cup run knocks them of course in their promotion race so we don’t have to play them next year. We might as well waive the away fixture. To quote his autobiography…even Heskey scored the last time we won there. Tommy K back in next week, hopefully some positive transfer news in the coming days and we can put this pie eating nightmare to bed. ‘Dispear of hands’ should be the headline 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, booth said:

Why was he sticking his right leg out like that? He jumps then on his way down sticks his right leg out as stretched as possible, which meant all his weight went onto his left leg which carried him, and the ball, into the goal.

Utterly bizarre.

1649545216_Screenshot2022-01-08at18_13_01.png.c642555c5b3571dbc6e864747127698c.png

I was behind the goal and I could clearly see he’s stood behind the line trying to catch and hold onto the ball, I turned to the guy next to me and we could’ve believe what we had just witnessed.

Goalkeeping rule 1 is don’t ever stand or put your body behind the line.

I thought goal 1 was pathetic too from that angle. And 3 is a tip over the bar if your positioned right. 

As soon  as Wigan cottoned on to free goals going as gifts they were well aware how to win this game ie long balls.

Poor game and didn’t need need to be. It’s becoming a ‘thing’ that we don’t do 4th rounds (5 years…ouch!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

The co-commentator on the BBC said Pears was the worse performance he’d seen in nearly 50 years watching football. Have to agree. I’ve never seen anything as bad as that. It’s a career ending George Weah’s cousin never again type performance.  

Knowing TM he’ll play him in the next game just to get his confidence back, because TM sees himself as a “nice guy”. 

Bad day, but the best day to have it , as we were due one .

Khadra is soooo clinical , wish he was our player. 

Granted if the Pears howlers didn't happen it probably would have been a  90 min win.

I must admit when we were 2-1 down , I was OK with us going out . Just looking at the bigger picture . 

Hopefully that's the kick up the ass , without effecting league. 

Just another point when everything goes great,  everything and every player seems X % better than they are . 

Bit like Disney's Cinderella ,  🎃 to stagecoach etc just hope in 2022 things don't revert to previous 😂

• Like 1

Its cool though, these Gks, they easy to replace, just like RBs. As the club moles keep telling you. 

Dolan at RB? Today you see what happens when you play an attacking minded player at RWB. No defenxe - he got beaten pillar to post. Nyambe aint putting up for that shit!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Been playing and watching since 1961. I’ve lost count of how many goals I’ve seen. That goalkeeping error for the second goal was a new one for me. It was as though the ref had blown up for a foul and play had stopped. Could be a career ending performance.

It was like somebody threw the magic boomerang (for the older ones amongst us) and momentarily everything stopped. I had to do a double take as he was stood inside the goal with the ball in his hands. It was bewildering.

In fairness to Pears I watched his reaction at full time and he turned to the Rovers fans and held his hands up in a kind of 'my fault' gesture.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

It was like somebody threw the magic boomerang (for the older ones amongst us) and momentarily everything stopped. I had to do a double take as he was stood inside the goal with the ball in his hands. It was bewildering.

In fairness to Pears I watched his reaction at full time and he turned to the Rovers fans and held his hands up in a kind of 'my fault' gesture.

I think he worried about being clattered by Wigan incoming.

As in chickened-in

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its cool though, these Gks, they easy to replace, just like RBs. As the club moles keep telling you. 

Dolan at RB? Today you see what happens when you play an attacking minded player at RWB. No defenxe - he got beaten pillar to post. Nyambe aint putting up for that shit!

Dolan is not a defender , was just there because of lack of options and needs game time . 

Anyone can see Dolan is not a planned replacement for Nyambe in defence/ wb

What a very dissapointed day after Rovers played well and being conformable for the first 58 minutes in which we was the only team who look like winning. 

Rovers started with Dolan at right wing back as Nyambe was injured an Rankin Costello not fully fit. Apart from that Everybody played in the correct team and we played a strong team. 

First half we have a great chance to score with Buckley who should have squared the ball. But we were the better team and looking most likely to score. Gallagher went off for Khadra for a slight Groin Injury. Then at Half time Lenihan came off for Johnson came on. I would have played Ashley Philips instead, 

Johnson performance second half was shocking poor. 

We shouldn't have conceded to this Wigan team who scored their 3 goals down to Pears poor performance. Now I not going to slammed him cos He has kept 3 clean sheets this season and played a role in our good performance and very good league results. Also why didn't Wigan players get booked for inciting the Rovers fans after their 3 goals.   

Rovers still have chances with Rothwell and Brereton chances plus Ayala header goal. 

I'm gutted not to be in the next round of the cup. 

The Rovers fans was magnificent today. Never stop supporting the players, singing and backing the team. Rovers fans are fantastic 

COYB!

• Like 1