BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan (a), FA Cup 3rd Round, 8/1/21

58 minutes ago, Scutdog said:

Could not believe how many morons were there following Rovers. Lads behind me spent most of the game trying to smash up seats. Not seen that before. 

It's genuinely embarrassing to be connected to them in any way. 2 fellas in front of me (when not in the concourse getting more beer) chatting to each other facing away from the game. Lad next to me (may have been adult-sized but certainly no need for shaving just yet) who didn't watch Rovers enough to know that it wasn't, "You are Gallagher".

Local derbies should be some of the most fun at an away game but you spend so long staring around you in complete contempt. I must admit I may start concentrating on the longer road trips and have a nice dinner somewhere rather than deal with the cretins. Hopefully Wales is back to semi-normal by the Swansea game. Meanwhile, grow the **** up and stop embarrassing Rovers!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

It's genuinely embarrassing to be connected to them in any way. 2 fellas in front of me (when not in the concourse getting more beer) chatting to each other facing away from the game. Lad next to me (may have been adult-sized but certainly no need for shaving just yet) who didn't watch Rovers enough to know that it wasn't, "You are Gallagher".

Local derbies should be some of the most fun at an away game but you spend so long staring around you in complete contempt. I must admit I may start concentrating on the longer road trips and have a nice dinner somewhere rather than deal with the cretins. Hopefully Wales is back to semi-normal by the Swansea game. Meanwhile, grow the **** up and stop embarrassing Rovers!

Couldn’t agree more! I was embarrassed to seats being smashed up - don’t know what goes through someone’s head to do that. I didn’t enjoy the game one bit, mostly because I was thinking about whether I’d want to bring my lad to an away game to watch a game with that sort of nonsense going on. 

I know all clubs have this mindless element but it seems to be increasing at Rovers away matches (as been mentioned more prevalent at local matches - which is all the more annoying as for a lot of supporters those are some of the only away games you can get to and should be enjoyable!). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Think yesterday just demonstrated how important Lenihan is to our defence which totally protected Pears in the first half. For me Pears needs to go out on loan for match day experience so he can make these mistakes elsewhere and learn not at our cost.

I thought yesterday demonstrated how important to the side Wharton (in particular) and Nyambe are. With that back 3 set up, plus RN, we've been so steady that Pears has been well protected and we've managed to win games even with him in the side.

Shuffle it up a bit and we didn't look anywhere near as composed, and asked to do a bit of work, Pears folded like a deck of cards.

A salutory  lesson to TM not to start tinkering in the League games.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Looked ropey against Barnsley and then against Huddersfield last week. We were due a loss and I just hope the reaction is as good as the Fulham one last time. Surprised how strong of a team he named to be fair and I think it definitely shows a need for some reinforcements now. Hopefully we can get a couple of players in don't want the wheels to fall off.

They look like a team a bit tired and in need of a freshen up. Maybe it's pressure and nerves? Or could it be complacency setting in and expecting the 3 points without putting in the necessary effort? Reinforcements will hopefully give them a bit of a gee up. It'll be such a shame if they mess this up.

One thing is for sure, we badly missed Nyambe, Wharton Pickering and Kaminski - and Dolan shouldn't play wing back again.

• Like 1

Honestly, before the game I was absolutely delighted with the team. I agreed with every player. Didn't grumble about any player left out. Like everyone else, I assumed that we'd put Buckley in to replace Nyambe in extremis. Dolan buzzing around their defenders as the false 9. Never in my darkest nightmares did I think that Dolan would ever go in as a defender. After a few minutes though, the warning bells were going off and it was clear that both Dolan and Edun weren't going to be up to it. Of course, I attach no blame to Dolan for not being a right back. He has neither the experience nor the physicality to cope with holding off attackers. Edun though was bought as a left back option. How could he be so poor at dealing with a winger? Bullied on every header. Unable to stop a cross. Couldn't cross properly when in position. Very worrying if Pickering is out for a stretch.

Given that this was evident in the first half, what we needed above all else was to solidify the left hand side. Except we took van Hecke away and put Johnson there. The pressure this weakness put on us eventually told.

I honestly wouldn't care too much about missing a cup run if it was Stoke or Coventry or Charlton or some such. Wigan though grinds. Each season, we seem to be a cut above them but can't beat them. It's getting tiresome.

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Zero talent. 

Dad's mate sorted it all his life.....now he's a professional footballer.   Nepotism is rife in the game.

It has been since time immemorial Sparks. Plenty of Rovers legends sons have been given contracts beyond their abilities, including those of our premier league winning management team. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It has been since time immemorial Sparks. Plenty of Rovers legends sons have been given contracts beyond their abilities, including those of our premier league winning management team. 

I do blame the academy system to an extent coupled with this....if these lads stay with junior clubs until 14/15 then it would be obvious.   They are in the system from 5/6 because the scouts want to please the ex pro daddy, be friends a bit etc, bollox to the real talent.. ..and if its a boy of a dad that played at the club, then they are guaranteed at least 10 years of top coaching and a pathway into being over promoted and potentially costing great clubs a place in the 4th round of the best cup competition in the world...   the mind boggles.

• Like 2

Really poor performance and in no way is losing any game "a positive," I went to Wigan thinking there was less pressure but it really rankled seeing us lose.

It just highlights especially in a time where a batch of Covid absentees are around the corner that we need more quality players, we have the main 11 but they will get injured, beyond that we have Ayala, Dack to come back and little else. When we miss a player or 2 out, what tends to happen is due to a very small squad, one of 3 or 4 players can come in and the time has to be re-arranged from there. The squad is starting to creak, Pickering injured, Gallagher injured, Nyambe injured, Lenihan injured, Van Hecke picked up a knock and I am unsure where Wharton was.

The time comes for Venkys to invest a chunk of the Armstrong money to get more quality in. Do they really care though? We need a striker, we need another attacking player, we need a central midfielder, (had to play the usual 3 again) we need a right wing back, possibly a centre back and definitely a keeper.

Performance wise, Pears was embarrassing, Gallagher is so injury prone and his contract renewal was a waste of time, Dolan was out of position but very poor, Edun is miles off Pickering standard and the defensive injuries are a huge worry.

Edited by roversfan99

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Cheap tickets = a day out on the vodka and charlie for Blackburns unwashed they aren't there to support 'their' team. Seen it there before and what's laughable is seeing them run away from a dozen Wigan fans outside.

Sorry did i say laughable, i meant embarrassing.

they are all spotty teenagers who think they are hard,any serious trouble and i`ll guarantee they run off quickly,couple of seasons ago at bolton,there were 20 of them acting like p****s all match,after the game  outside a  few bolton fans who were proper blokes chased them all the way to horwich parkway station,😊,they wer`nt so tough when it came to having a real fight

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Really poor performance and in no way is losing any game "a positive," I went to Wigan thinking there was less pressure but it really rankled seeing us lose.

It just highlights especially in a time where a batch of Covid absentees are around the corner that we need more quality players, we have the main 11 but they will get injured, beyond that we have Ayala, Dack to come back and little else. When we miss a player or 2 out, what tends to happen is due to a very small squad, one of 3 or 4 players can come in and the time has to be re-arranged from there. The squad is starting to creak, Pickering injured, Gallagher injured, Nyambe injured, Lenihan injured, Van Hecke picked up a knock and I am unsure where Wharton was.

The time comes for Venkys to invest a chunk of the Armstrong money to get more quality in. Do they really care though? We need a striker, we need another attacking player, we need a central midfielder, (had to play the usual 3 again) we need a right wing back, possibly a centre back and definitely a keeper.

Performance wise, Pears was embarrassing, Gallagher is so injury prone and his contract renewal was a waste of time, Dolan was out of position but very poor, Edun is miles off Pickering standard and the defensive injuries are a huge worry.

Hoping Edun was bought as they see him in a different position than back uo left back as his better performances have come elsewhere in the side.

If there are funds to bring in loans or permanents a left back should come into consideration as Edun does look a weak link there and this is Pickerings second spell out with injury now

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Scott Wharton was out with Covid same as Davenport I believe. 

Nyambe was set to start but complained about tight hamstring injury. 

Really poor performance? really? even tho we were the only team that like winning that game until 60 mins

We were winning that game all day long until Pears had a nightmare. But he will recover from this. His 3 performances in the league shows he is decent keeper but still very young and need more regular football IMO to develop his game maybe

4 hours ago, rigger said:

You say Pears's problems are not a lack of ability. I would say, decision making and command of the box are two fundamental abilities of a good keeper. Sat on a bench, is probably his best position.

If we're honest he should be sat in an office somewhere. He's not a professional footballer. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Scott Wharton was out with Covid same as Davenport I believe. 

Nyambe was set to start but complained about tight hamstring injury. 

Really poor performance? really? even tho we were the only team that like winning that game until 60 mins

We were winning that game all day long until Pears had a nightmare. But he will recover from this. His 3 performances in the league shows he is decent keeper but still very young and need more regular football IMO to develop his game maybe

This 90 minute rule for football matches is crap isn't it.

As well as the result, many Rovers fans at the game had their experience ruined by the mindless drunken, and drugged up yobs, who infested the concourse and stand like vermin. Average age about 15, IQ zero, manners zilch. Flares, bottles, beer being thrown over their own fans, and vandalism to boot. What a disgrace to the club some of our so called fans are.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Giant said:

As well as the result, many Rovers fans at the game had their experience ruined by the mindless drunken, and drugged up yobs, who infested the concourse and stand like vermin. Average age about 15, IQ zero, manners zilch. Flares, bottles, beer being thrown over their own fans, and vandalism to boot. What a disgrace to the club some of our so called fans are.

when did this happen? 

29 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If we're honest he should be sat in an office somewhere. He's not a professional footballer. 

Day to reflect ..it doesnt get any better.

Pears performance was like watching an out field player having to take the gloves. His positioning ..his body language ..everything just  didnt look right , but its not the first time.

Against Stoke when he replaced TK through injury , one of his saves he made just looked 'wrong'. He was in the wrong position and was diving the wrong way for it but through good fortune he somehow saved it. I just thought then ..hmmm ..lads a lil ropey.

I hate panning players because i know they do mean well but im sorry the lad cannot be relied on im afraid.

• Like 3

I was so looking forward to this match unfortunately it was spoilt in more ways than one,firstly I didn't arrive until late due to setting off late (family commitments)but when I did there some issues with fans behind me regarding seat numbers and they didn't half make a issue out of if.Secondly approx 4 rows behind me some clown decided to throw is beer over us and then his food and thought it was funny ,wouldn't mind but It stained a £300 jacket that pissed me off were I confronted him and he just put his arms out wide ,anyway a couple of guys behind me advised me it wasn't worth which it wasn't however not long later me and another chap went flying over the next row as it appears the same chap had started some trouble with someone else and that issue as caused me problems today with my already damaged knee as I have been in pain all day I could have took 30 years ago but at 60 it gets harder .I did find out his first name was Gary but I couldn't get any more info ,never seen him before and like me when you go to all the away games you get to know a few faces ..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pears yesterday reminded me of Peter Bonetti for England in that famous World Cup game against the Germans many years ago. Peter was a really top class goalkeeper but he went to pieces after he dived over a shot he should thrown his cap on. After that his game fell apart and he let two more poor goals in.

I saw that crap live on our first colour TV.

Fortunately at age 18 I was having a mind distracting time with a lovely girl from East Kilbride over on hols. I still remember her name as I do that game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Pears performance was like watching an out field player having to take the gloves. His positioning ..his body language ..everything just  didnt look right , but its not the first time.

Against Stoke when he replaced TK through injury , one of his saves he made just looked 'wrong'. He was in the wrong position and was diving the wrong way for it but through good fortune he somehow saved it. I just thought then ..hmmm ..lads a lil ropey.

I hate panning players because i know they do mean well but im sorry the lad cannot be relied on im afraid.

That is do harsh on outfield players 😏 , can we resign Smallwood as our No. 2 keeper and send Pearshaped on his way.

Meanwhile our Tony doesn't even want to discuss the issue.

21 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I have seen Don Martin and Ritchie Smallwood make a better fist of being in goal.

• Like 2