BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Fulham (a) - 5/3/22

Poor result, giving teams around us a chance to potentially make ground on us. The next 3 home games are critical, 6-9 points are a must, but I can't see how with a total absence in goal threat.

Going forward, we never, ever looked like scoring, even in the supposedly "brave" second half Fulham were in third gear and never unduly worried, we were at arms length. The closest we came was through Giles when he made the wrong decision to shoot, and with a run and hopeful shot in the first half and a couple of decent deliveries too, he was the least ineffective (double negative needed) out of the starting front 3. Khadra appeared disinterested and kept losing the ball, we improved when Gallagher came on. Dolan is all energy, all action, but 9 times out of 10 he doesn't do anything productive, for all the unnecessary stepovers he has to influence games far more to justify a regular place. Travis was the better of the 2 in the middle but neither were great.

Defensively, Van Hecke had his poorest game for a long, long while, kept trying to nick the ball from Mitrovic with no success and very poor in the build up to the first. Lenihan was absolutely braindead to pick up a yellow when the game was long gone, a ban seems inevitable, Wharton was possibly the pick of the bunch. Pickering's lack of pace was exploited on a number of occasions, Rankin Costello grew into the game and was better than he has been but still look off it and his supposed delivery has yet to come out. Kaminski's error was pathetic, the second time in 3 games that he has made an error like that. Looked shaky after that too.

• Like 2

Appalling display from Kaminsky, when you're playing the best team in the League you need everyone at the very least to do their jobs competently and not make any basic mistakes and he failed to do that today.

Up until his howler for the first I thought we competed well but given the current lack of goals in the side if we conceded the first goal it was always likely to be game over and so it proved.

Five points from twenty one and the January transfer business looks more horrific by the week. Can't wait until the end of the season and Mowbray hopefully sods off.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Kaminski was still going backwards when Wilson was running onto it. By the time he decided to change direction it was too late. Then he just decided to lie down. Was an easy one to save imo.

He should have just ran out and got there first.

Kaminski lacks bottle. Should have got there first and cleaned out Wilson. Kaminski like Pickering has been grossly over-rated. Is there a slower full back in this league? Up front its schoolboy stuff. Dolan and Khadra just want to show off their playground tricks. Just can't see where the goals are coming from even when Dias returns. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Poor result, giving teams around us a chance to potentially make ground on us. The next 3 home games are critical, 6-9 points are a must, but I can't see how with a total absence in goal threat.

Going forward, we never, ever looked like scoring, even in the supposedly "brave" second half Fulham were in third gear and never unduly worried, we were at arms length. The closest we came was through Giles when he made the wrong decision to shoot, and with a run and hopeful shot in the first half and a couple of decent deliveries too, he was the least ineffective (double negative needed) out of the starting front 3. Khadra appeared disinterested and kept losing the ball, we improved when Gallagher came on. Dolan is all energy, all action, but 9 times out of 10 he doesn't do anything productive, for all the unnecessary stepovers he has to influence games far more to justify a regular place. Travis was the better of the 2 in the middle but neither were great.

Defensively, Van Hecke had his poorest game for a long, long while, kept trying to nick the ball from Mitrovic with no success and very poor in the build up to the first. Lenihan was absolutely braindead to pick up a yellow when the game was long gone, a ban seems inevitable, Wharton was possibly the pick of the bunch. Pickering's lack of pace was exploited on a number of occasions, Rankin Costello grew into the game and was better than he has been but still look off it and his supposed delivery has yet to come out. Kaminski's error was pathetic, the second time in 3 games that he has made an error like that. Looked shaky after that too.

A very fair and realistic summary.

• Like 1

Free hit ??

Doesn't sound like it anymore.

Anyway it looked first half like we'd learned nothing from the 0-7 even before Kamisnky's howler. The false 9 bull doesn't work against these lot especially when it's a player who isn't a false 9. ( who is apart from Dack? ).  That front like we started with offers nothing against opposition like Fulham it was painful watching.

Far better second half and worthy of a point imo although in truth Fulham took their foot off the gas and played in 2nd gear all day.

A predictable but costly defeat helped in no small part by going about it wrong in 1st half.

17 minutes ago, booth said:

The frustration with Mowbray is how he initially set the team up. Although unspectacular, we didn't give them as much joy in the second half. Can we speculate that had TM got it right first half there'd have been more chance of a draw?

But can’t we say that about every manager in the league? Usually, the better team wins. Also, as frustrating as TM can be, I don’t know what a better set up might’ve been. I’ve wanted Gallagher (not a fan) and Rothwell (love him as a player but badly out of form) to be dropped so, even though we played better in the second half, it’d be hypocritical of me to say we should have played them from the off. Johnson was brought in to try and bring some muscle defensively. With Gallagher out, Giles was out on the right in the hope he could cut in and have shots rather than cross it in from the left to our small attackers. Makes sense to me.

Today was all about us trying not to concede against a far superior team. We did via a couple of mistakes. If that hadn’t have happened the game might’ve panned out differently. I’m just not going to lose any sleep over it. Mentally, for me, our season starts now.

14 minutes ago, J*B said:

They’re not the ones missing their targets every single quarter. FFP is almost designed to stop clubs like ours being successful. Until the management team - not the ownership - can work out how to generate significantly more money then we will never be able to financially compete whether we have Venkys, an American billionaire, a Middle Eastern investment group or are fan owned. 

They came into the club with the remit to get wages under control, they sacked Nelson, Salgado and many more towards that aim and look where we are.

They should write off the debt they created and sod off, hand it over to the fans, I agree with you on that point J*B.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I just don’t see any further progression for this season and I don’t believe that we are capable of sustaining a play off spot challenge. Injuries and mistakes are killing the season

And a total absence of attacking quality. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I just don’t see any further progression for this season and I don’t believe that we are capable of sustaining a play off spot challenge. Injuries and mistakes are killing the season

I suppose we gave it a nice run, better than at any time since I came aboard Rovers fandom (2013). Our next three games should determine our layoff hopes. 

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

They came into the club with the remit to get wages under control, they sacked Nelson, Salgado and many more towards that aim and look where we are.

They should write off the debt they created and sod off, hand it over to the fans, I agree with you on that point J*B.

We’d be on the verge of administration within 90 days. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

A QPR and Luton win (by 2 clear goals in Luton's case) and we are out of the top 6.

and not that long ago we were fully in charge of the second promotion spot.

That transfer window really costing us.

• Like 1

TM on Zeefuik: “Deyo is struggling, he’s on crutches, we’re trying to get a boot on him, he’s struggling quite badly. “He can’t put his foot on the ground.”

JRC at RWB for the foreseeable then. A pairing of him and Pickering at LWB has to be the slowest wing backs in the history of football.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, J*B said:

The owners spent 16m quid, the absolute maximum they could get away with, to buy the training ground they already owned off the football club so that we didn’t fail FFP dramatically due to huge overspends by the current senior managements and the impact of COVID. They can’t spend money that they’re not allowed to spend. 

They didn't spend £16m on the training ground. It's just an accounting exercise that won't even work unless the EFL accept that 20 acres of land without planning permission is worth that much.

• Like 1

Not a great result or performance but I still think we have enough for the play offs. Lacked firepower but with Diaz Rothwell and Dack out it was always going to be uphill.

Fulham is a funny old ground with very civilised support. Easily the best team in the league but will be straight back down because that style of play from the back football will get picked apart a division higher.

Now is when the real test of our credentials comes not many challengers left to play and lots of mid tablers. 
COYB

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

Are you against the ffp rules then? 

I think I’d be very annoyed if I was a multi billionaire that simply wanted to make a really good football club yet I was restricted about how much money I can spend. Is that an answer?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

TM on Zeefuik: “Deyo is struggling, he’s on crutches, we’re trying to get a boot on him, he’s struggling quite badly. “He can’t put his foot on the ground.”

JRC at RWB for the foreseeable then. A pairing of him and Pickering at LWB has to be the slowest wing backs in the history of football.

Isn’t Nyambe only 2 weeks? Otherwise give it to the godfather of soul for the time being. We surely signed him to play him?

1 minute ago, J*B said:

I think I’d be very annoyed if I was a multi billionaire that simply wanted to make a really good football club yet I was restricted about how much money I can spend. Is that an answer?

There is no evidence that Venkys are committed to making "a really good football club" or that FFP is the thing that is stopping them. They wouldnt authorise a desperately needed 2m pitch revamp which isnt even relevant to FFP.

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

We’d be on the verge of administration within 90 days. 

With respect that’s nonsense.

But give me non league football to get rid of these inept owners.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

With respect that’s nonsense. 

In the latest accounts wages to turnover are at 200%. That’s before any further expenditure. Who is paying for that?

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

In the latest accounts wages to turnover are at 200%. That’s before any further expenditure. Who is paying for that?

Venkys came into the club vowing to reduce wages and get finances under control, how did that work out?

I know of 2/3 groups that are interested in buying the club right now. 

Id take administration right now to get rid of them.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1