BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Fulham (a) - 5/3/22

Just now, tomphil said:

The key next season is pricing them right along with showing real ambition to build on this season and go one better if we miss out, whoever is boss.

I have little faith that'll be the case though it'll be very much carry on as usual and see where we land. That approach doesn't sell STs as we've seen last summer. Especially when they keep upping prices as well.

We’ll be showing real ambition when Rothwell, Nyambe, Lenihan, Khadra, JPVH, Poveda and Giles all leave… 

I’m pretty pessimistic with most things Rovers, who isn’t after the last few years but I can’t believe some of the stuff I read at times. 

Take a step back, we’re 4th in the league with 11 games to go (10 of which are against 11th or lower in the league). Even the most optimistic person on this board wouldn’t have said that at the start of the season. 

We lost to Fulham away - toughest game of the season - bring out the pitchforks if we get < 6 points from the next 3 home games 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Are the "pitchforks" out solely because we lost away at Fulham? The underlying worry is the fact that for 2 months, we have had next to no goal threat. 3 goals in 11 games is certainly beyond todays performance in which we seldom if ever looked like improving that tally. With our main striker whose absence has been a major contributing factor to this run not back for at least 5 more games, I think the problems on show today certainly run far deeper than a frustrating but solitary defeat today and are a genuine cause for concern.

We’ll see how it plays out. Should have had 4 versus Swansea and obvious issues with Sheff United. Agree we were shite against West Brom, Forest, Luton and Hull (the latter Mowbray changed the team)  

Just don’t think we should overreact too much to today. I’ll be first in line if we fuck it up in the next few matches. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superniko said:

We’ll see how it plays out. Should have had 4 versus Swansea and obvious issues with Sheff United. Agree we were shite against West Brom, Forest, Luton and Hull (the latter Mowbray changed the team)  

Just don’t think we should overreact too much to today. I’ll be first in line if we fuck it up in the next few matches. 

I dont think that at least the majority are overreacting to today. I think the problems from the last 2 months were evident again today but I certainly dont sense an overreaction to today in isolation.

You mention the Swansea game, but the inability to take chances even when we do create them is a huge part of the problem we are suffering in regards to a lack of goal threat.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We’ll be showing real ambition when Rothwell, Nyambe, Lenihan, Khadra, JPVH, Poveda and Giles all leave… 

That's why pushing the boat out for a quality loan addition, with some scoring pedigree, when 2nd in the league - and the main man tied up with Chile - was vital.

Now that would have been ambition.

• Like 7

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that at least the majority are overreacting to today. I think the problems from the last 2 months were evident again today but I certainly dont sense an overreaction to today in isolation.

You mention the Swansea game, but the inability to take chances even when we do create them is a huge part of the problem we are suffering in regards to a lack of goal threat.

But if you look back to earlier in the season, those Swansea chances were dropping in the net. It’s classic xG despite whether people hate that analysis or love it. 
Look today, QPR losing at home to Cardiff etc. We’re not going to finish in the top 2, but let’s be realistic, we can do what we have to finish in the top 6. 
Then let’s just enjoy it, it’s been a shite 10 years, I remember being in a pub in Brentford when we were relegated to League 1. Fuck I’d like to be in a boozer in Huddersfield/Sheffield/Middlesbrough or south London in May. 

Agree it’s worrying we’re not scoring but we are doing enough to win the games to see us in the playoffs (Battered QPR at home despite 1-0 and should have beaten SU….)

• Like 1

• Backroom

Not sure if it’s purely because he’s from Liverpool but there mild hysteria about Neco Williams hitting the bar on twitter, we’d have never heard the last of it had he actually scored 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, superniko said:

But if you look back to earlier in the season, those Swansea chances were dropping in the net. It’s classic xG despite whether people hate that analysis or love it. 
Look today, QPR losing at home to Cardiff etc. We’re not going to finish in the top 2, but let’s be realistic, we can do what we have to finish in the top 6. 
Then let’s just enjoy it, it’s been a shite 10 years, I remember being in a pub in Brentford when we were relegated to League 1. Fuck I’d like to be in a boozer in Huddersfield/Sheffield/Middlesbrough or south London in May. 

Agree it’s worrying we’re not scoring but we are doing enough to win the games to see us in the playoffs (Battered QPR at home despite 1-0 and should have beaten SU….)

We didnt do enough to beat Sheffield United though, its about results not chances created. The flaws of the measurement of expected goals that I could go into is one thing that doesnt seem relevant here, but even accepting that in certain games we did create enough chances to score, eg v Swansea, that brings us to the main problem that we cant finish them chances! Most of them chances were dropping in the net through Brereton earlier in the season, and without him as we will be for the next 4 critical games at least, those chances are less likely to end in the net when players who clearly arent as clinical are having them.

We all want to enjoy the play offs but people are having justified doubts as to whether we will reach them.

I agree with 'Niko that we should judge the season after the next 4 critical games. 

I agree with both sides of this discussion, but what we could have done better is for review in May/June, but all we can do now is be positive, especially at Ewood, and collectively see where we can get to. 

At the QPR game, there were 2 fans behind me that criticised and despaired at nearly everything we did, and I really felt that they had been affected by the general pessimistic, negative vibe that has been steadily growing across social media. 

I have been really really disappointed by our form since half time on 2nd Jan, but I have seen the genuine shoots of recovery since Brammall Lane, and am prepared to stay optimistic, at least for the 3 uber-critical home games. 

Don't worry, I'll still criticise individual selections, and performances, but like Superniko and many others, I think we'll do enough against these 11 less able sides.

• Like 2

Hugely disappointing.

We conceded two gifted goals and Kaminsky lucky he didn't get done from the half way line (terrific effort from the Fulham lad).

IMO, Zeefuik looks like an injury always waiting to happen, as for Pickering, poor, poor, poor,

Midfield costing us badly - think Johnson needs to be put out to grass whilst Travis is just a very average player with a bit of attitude.

Laughable up front.

Think we are an average side in a bang average league though with our run-in, still expect a top six finish.

Not expecting Dack to come under serious consideration until April - understand he's quite some way off coming into first team contention.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Pathetic performance. Don't think any of them fancied it today. Only Johnson played with the right attitude and looked as if he believed he should be on the same pitch as the the opposisition. The rest of our team were like frightened rabbits.

Second half, Fulham were in cruise control and 3rd gear and we still didn't make much impression.

Don't think we will finish in top 6.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

Pathetic performance. Don't think any of them fancied it today. Only Johnson played with the right attitude and looked as if he believed he should be on the same pitch as the the opposisition. The rest of our team were like frightened rabbits.

Second half, Fulham were in cruise control and 3rd gear and we still didn't make much impression.

Don't think we will finish in top 6.

At this rate we'll be lucky to finish in the top half.

Very disappointed in the result, but had a great day out. Thought the fans were wonderful and probably deserved a better performance. It’s been a while since I have been to an away game in London and to see so many Rovers fans, shouting and singling like they were, was something special.

I thought the ref was weak and was very disappointed he did not clamp down on the tricks Harry Wilson got up to. He deserved a booking for inciting the crowd like he did and should have been at least warned after the first goal.

Its a shame the Gallagher goal was offside, as it could have set up a grandstand finish.

I thought Johnson and Travis both had decent games and was very impressed with Gallagher’s work rate.

In isolation, this game was always going to be one of our toughest, so like a few, will hope we can convert some of our chances over the next 4 vital games.

I fly back home to Spain this morning, so will be watching the next few on TV and back for the Blackpool game, by which time, we should know if our top six ambitions are realistic or not.

Hopefully the season won’t fizzle out from here, as I would love a trip back to London for a play off final. 

• Like 3

Does make me laugh that everyone is pinning there hopes on the next 3 home games.

We have gone nearly a quarter of a season now scoring only 3 goals, conceding 8, taking 12 points from the last 33. 

We aren't going to suddenly start scoring goals to beat these frustrating mid table sides, we'll get 4 points at best and plod on.

Another classic Mowbray run.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont know if he has implicitly said that, I havent seen that quote. I read that we might set up a game for him, maybe if we could set one up in the next day or 2 then he could at least get 90 minutes ahead a potential sub appearance v Bristol City.

Anyway, what I am putting is what I would like to happen. Not what will necessarily happen.

Given that we now have 3 games in 7 days first team wise, Is this just going to be under 23 behind close game? 

11 hours ago, alcd said:

He's not worth 3 million buttons. He cost Hertha about 4m euros and was obviously a total flop there so why on earth would be valued at 3m now? 

I have posted what the agreed fee was reported by local media. Thats it. 

I will leave you with it whether he was a flop at Hertha Berlin or not. 

Interesting reading on here. IMO yesterday showed how far behind the Premiership we are - let's not kid ourselves Fulham have Premiership quality throughout their team, they have made good use of their parachute payments - they look a level above all teams in the Championship. 

For me Mitrovic should have been booked for several off the ball challenges. He may be a good striker at this level - but played like a school yard bully - and the referee let him get away with it.

Taking what few positives there were - some lovely pieces of skill from Dolan (who otherwise was largely anonymous), defence did ok (aside from the goals), Gallagher made a difference when he came on, we didn't concede 7.

Yesterday was always going to be tough - and we have another tough match on Tuesday which will be more of a barometer of our chances of top 6 than yesterday was.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mitrovic’s a cheat. I had to laugh at his attempt to do Kaminski early on when he pretended to be hurt himself. The guy’s a con man. Still he got away with it. The ref fell for it hook, line and sinker. They obviously though Kaminski could be rattled.

It made me smile when the sky pundit said that he had been very clever there when he flicked his foot out to try and get a penalty ,what he should have said is he tried to cheat there and should be booked for it.

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Does make me laugh that everyone is pinning there hopes on the next 3 home games.

Maybe, just maybe it's because we have one of the best home records in the league?

Free scoring we are not, but we're capable of winning the next 3 home games even if it's 1-0 in each.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Yes, I took TM's line that Fulham are "well coached" as a sly dig at their play acting and the rest.

Yeah, but our players just stood around and let it happen. As usual.

Fulham were in the ref’s face all the game. And with the linesman. Sooner or later that pays off.  We needed to do the same.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

We have gone nearly a quarter of a season now scoring only 3 goals, conceding 8, taking 12 points from the last 33. 

We aren't going to suddenly start scoring goals to beat these frustrating mid table sides, we'll get 4 points at best and plod on.

Another classic Mowbray run.

I agree that we probably won't win more than one of the next three. Just can't see this midget front line causing any problems for either Millwall or Derby. If you don't score you then don't win.