BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

13 minutes ago, Silas said:

Would City play with Fernandinho or Rodri up front? 

I guess the use of ‘up front’ gives some wriggle room, but the point still stands, City play with no strikers.

Bristol City played a 16 goal striker at full back last week at Ewood.

Neither of us are employed in football I assume, these decisions explain why….

Edited by Gav

24 minutes ago, Gav said:

They still play with no strikers, if that’s the stick to beat the manager with its pretty flimsy….

Sadly not as flimsy as our recent scoring record. 

Also given you often talk about how we can't compete with parachute money (which I also disagree with btw but that's for another day) it seems a bit odd to then compare us to City. 

• Like 2

When you can afford the quality of players that Man City have, you can afford to be a little more unorthodox / left field in how you set up.

When you have a squad of players who aren’t exactly goal laden, you’re best off sticking to basics and keeping it simple.

The logical thing to do today was to set up how we did in the second half on Tuesday, at least in formation if not personnel.

Gallagher certainly should’ve started centrally.

Today’s first half was reminiscent of Tuesday’s first half, minus the one goal deficit, with the players looking increasingly lost as it went on.

When Mowbray finally changed it, we were very fortunate to still be in the game, (credit to Kaminski).

Unfortunately, Gallagher then fluffed his lines, and what followed had an air of inevitability about it.

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

I’ve been unmasked! 😂

Those are the sorry statistics, though in some seasons have been followed by an uptick in results.

I like Mowbray as a man, his ethics, his history and his personality. I guess it’s just more of the same and another disappointing January-March run.

If he stays, you’d put money on the same being true in 2022/23.

I lost you there, the moment you said 'personality'

36 minutes ago, martonrover said:

When you can afford the quality of players that Man City have, you can afford to be a little more unorthodox / left field in how you set up.

When you have a squad of players who aren’t exactly goal laden, you’re best off sticking to basics and keeping it simple.

The logical thing to do today was to set up how we did in the second half on Tuesday, at least in formation if not personnel.

Gallagher certainly should’ve started centrally.

Today’s first half was reminiscent of Tuesday’s first half, minus the one goal deficit, with the players looking increasingly lost as it went on.

When Mowbray finally changed it, we were very fortunate to still be in the game, (credit to Kaminski).

Unfortunately, Gallagher then fluffed his lines, and what followed had an air of inevitability about it.

I couldn't keep tabs on the game too much today, how did he line the team up?

3 hours ago, Gav said:

10yrs of Venky ownership den, you surely understand that every manager they've appointed is a symptom, not the disease. 

Nothing improves until these rats sod off back under the rock. 

Everyone agrees with you on that but they will go when they want to, if ever.

Mowbray can be sacked immediately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I couldn't keep tabs on the game too much today, how did he line the team up?

Gallagher on the right hand side of attack, again, with the equally ineffective Buckley in the deeper central position and Dolan on the left hand side of the three.

Their keeper may as well have stayed in the dressing room in the first half.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

They still play with no strikers, if that’s the stick to beat the manager with its pretty flimsy….

1 hour ago, Gav said:

but the point still stands, City play with no strikers. Bristol City played a 16 goal striker at full back last week at Ewood.

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Sadly not as flimsy as our recent scoring record. 

Also given you often talk about how we can't compete with parachute money (which I also disagree with btw but that's for another day) it seems a bit odd to then compare us to City. 

We don't play without strikers, Gallagher played down the middle today, I was giving the poster some wriggle room, by stating  even the best clubs in the land play with no strikers, its the modern way.

On your 2nd point, if you think we can compete with Fulham and Bournemouth awash with Premiership money then good on you.

@Gav The stick being used to beat Mowbray is the sides inability to score goals. Playing left wing backs as a right forward and Johnson in attacking positions is just contributing to the main problem. Whichever way you look at it, some of the stats would be pathetic for a relegation-bound club - 0 goals in 7 away games. 6 goals in the last 14 games.

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm sure that means something to you Hasta, but you'll have to explain to the masses?

For some reason when I quote 2 posts it doesn’t let me type underneath the quotations on my iPad. I thought I could edit  the post but that didn’t work either.

Edited by Hasta

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

We don't play without strikers, Gallagher played down the middle today, I was giving the poster some wriggle room, by stating  even the best clubs in the land play with no strikers, its the modern way.

On your 2nd point, if you think we can compete with Fulham and Bournemouth awash with Premiership money then good on you.

He played down the middle for about 40 mins just so we are all on the same page

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think you’re confusing strikers with guys wearing football shirts.

So let's say Mowbray leaves in the summer, which I doubt will happen. Who do you think his replacement will be?  

And I don't mean who you'd like to see but who they will actually appoint. 

Whoever it is will be left with half a squad and a rebuild job with little to no funding.

I don't know what will happen but the future looks incredibly bleak.

It’s always been the lack of culpability with TM that’s got to me. He’ll never put his hands up - not even for one of his famed death spirals - preferring to throw individuals under the bus  (Raya, Nyambe et al), blame the ref, the quality of opposition left backs, poor budgets, injuries, covid - the list is endless.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

So let's say Mowbray leaves in the summer, which I doubt will happen. Who do you think his replacement will be?  

And I don't mean who you'd like to see but who they will actually appoint. 

Whoever it is will be left with half a squad and a rebuild job with little to no funding.

I don't know what will happen but the future looks incredibly bleak.

tbh i really do think they`ll give him a new deal,the only way tony is leaving the club is off his own accord,if he does **** off back to whitley bay or wherever he lives then it`s an impossible job of predicting what venkys will do,to me though,another 3 years of mowbray will see me off and i guess i won`t be the only one,what i really want is venkys gone,i`ll gladly take administration and relegation if it means our club is rid of them

• Like 3

2 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Its difficult to defend TM,

Before a ball was kicked this season, with the sale of Amstrong, and what turned out to be a poor transfer window (lack of perm signings or a replacement striker) I had us at best 17th or 18th, especially after last seasons capitulation.

At that point, i felt Mowbray and Waggott should go. I felt we had finally downgraded to the point that we were gonna be reliant on the academy, which has proven to be the case.

We had a decent start to the season, above the expectations/confidence that our business warranted. Then came the Fulham hammering, followed by an unbelievable run when others were faltering. 2nd in the table, you had to pinch yourself.

Having blown the summer window, we now had the January window, we were second, players would be busting a gut to sign you'd think??? 

However we had Rothwell, Lenihan ,Nyambe with deals not signed, and a total lack of imagination from the manager and board in strengthening out position with players to get us to the promised land. TM telling the world we dont play with centre forwards, and justifying a pathetic seasons of business.

Breretons Indian summer of goals and other teams inability to string any decent form together had propelled us to an unlikely position. However, how ever unlikely it was. It had happened, we were there on merit, and barring a complete disaster play offs at that stage looked a minimum. 

However, predictable tactics, no plan B, stubbornness to admit he is wrong, has seen him and the idiots who employ him oversee a remarkable fall, and produce relegation form since Xmas. False 9 will go down as Blackburns answer to the metatarsal.

Regardless of summer expectations and our current position, it was their poor business in the summer which set those expectations, and not because we are a poor side.

The football on show since Xmas has been poor, its not get off your seat stuff. More noise has been generated as we've blamed refs and everything else bar the board and manager.

The players have given their all in the main, but they are now showing signs of, they dont know what they are being asked to do, where they should be, or what the plan is.

You can point at at our 15 or 16 clean sheets, and state we are hard to beat. However on the other side of the coin we've become toothless.

A continuation of playing players out of position, players who are not good enough and tactics the opposition have the whole week to master how to play against is a recurring theme.

The club is no further along than the day he arrived. Its plasters, a bit of hope and if he does go this summer, he goes leaving rovers where he found us. In the Championship, and a long way from the premier league given the players due to leave this summer

Really good summary, I feel. By comparative standards, albeit, in a poor quality league, we have an embarrassment of riches. We've just had three players called up to the U21s or U20s of some of the biggest football nations. We spent money on a back up left back in Edun and when that didn't work out we signed Giles on loan from the Prem. With Nyambe and JRC needing back up, we signed Zeefuik and Brown.

Edun, Harry Chapman and Jacob Davenport were all signed for transfer fees and none regularly get into the match day squad these days.

We're not the big spenders we once were and Mowbray has made some good signings. Yet, we have brought in a lot of players and spent money throughout the squad. We also had a strong U23 side, competing in the top league, that didn't develop and is now being dispersed but still has some promising individuals.

Despite all this, we resort to, as Glen mentions, players out of position, having their self-belief and development ground down, as performances and results stutter.

We can hope we pick up and get into the play offs but it'll take management to get out of the way and let the players express themselves.

Edit: In the second half of the season, last year, Harvey Elliot was dropped to the bench and Mowbray desperately rotated Trybull, Evans, Downing and others to get a result. In a way, options only add to his uncertainty, it seems. During our strong run this season, with injuries, he didn't have many options. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tbh i really do think they`ll give him a new deal,the only way tony is leaving the club is off his own accord,if he does **** off back to whitley bay or wherever he lives then it`s an impossible job of predicting what venkys will do,to me though,another 3 years of mowbray will see me off and i guess i won`t be the only one,what i really want is venkys gone,i`ll gladly take administration and relegation if it means our club is rid of them

What a sorry state the game is in when we are hoping for administration. 

I want to see not just our club but every single club owned 51% minimum by fans/members.  

These clubs are over a century old institutions and are the lifeblood of the communities and areas they represent. They should not be treated as commodities to be bought and sold by the super rich to suit their own agendas.

The people's game has now become the rich people's game.

Until their is real change in the way the game is run and legislated our story will keep repeating itself time after time, club after club. 

This change can only come from the ground up. All fans of all clubs need to unite and take a stand and take back what is ours. Because without the fans football will be just another game. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Its difficult to defend TM,

Before a ball was kicked this season, with the sale of Amstrong, and what turned out to be a poor transfer window (lack of perm signings or a replacement striker) I had us at best 17th or 18th, especially after last seasons capitulation.

At that point, i felt Mowbray and Waggott should go. I felt we had finally downgraded to the point that we were gonna be reliant on the academy, which has proven to be the case.

We had a decent start to the season, above the expectations/confidence that our business warranted. Then came the Fulham hammering, followed by an unbelievable run when others were faltering. 2nd in the table, you had to pinch yourself.

Having blown the summer window, we now had the January window, we were second, players would be busting a gut to sign you'd think??? 

However we had Rothwell, Lenihan ,Nyambe with deals not signed, and a total lack of imagination from the manager and board in strengthening out position with players to get us to the promised land. TM telling the world we dont play with centre forwards, and justifying a pathetic seasons of business.

Breretons Indian summer of goals and other teams inability to string any decent form together had propelled us to an unlikely position. However, how ever unlikely it was. It had happened, we were there on merit, and barring a complete disaster play offs at that stage looked a minimum. 

However, predictable tactics, no plan B, stubbornness to admit he is wrong, has seen him and the idiots who employ him oversee a remarkable fall, and produce relegation form since Xmas. False 9 will go down as Blackburns answer to the metatarsal.

Regardless of summer expectations and our current position, it was their poor business in the summer which set those expectations, and not because we are a poor side.

The football on show since Xmas has been poor, its not get off your seat stuff. More noise has been generated as we've blamed refs and everything else bar the board and manager.

The players have given their all in the main, but they are now showing signs of, they dont know what they are being asked to do, where they should be, or what the plan is.

You can point at at our 15 or 16 clean sheets, and state we are hard to beat. However on the other side of the coin we've become toothless.

A continuation of playing players out of position, players who are not good enough and tactics the opposition have the whole week to master how to play against is a recurring theme.

The club is no further along than the day he arrived. Its plasters, a bit of hope and if he does go this summer, he goes leaving rovers where he found us. In the Championship, and a long way from the premier league given the players due to leave this summer

Great post, summed up my feelings to a tee 

• Like 1