BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (a) - 20/3/22

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The only one of those that Mowbray appointed was Venus. 

Lowe and Benson were already at the club and were promoted from lower positions when Coyle's gang cleared off and Johnson moved over from the u23s.

Of course he will say he picked them, or is happy to work with them, but no manager is going to admit that they have had to work with people imposed on them. Especially not one with skin as thin as Mowbray.

Damien Johnson was appointed Mowbray 2 and half seasons ago

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Maybe read my actual post instead of misquoting me then, I said most damaging, been here for the longest time without actually doing very much good for the here and now and future. Truth is they are all crap managers , mowbray makes tactical headscratchers much more than the other two from my memory however. 
so before calling it nonsense please make sure you understand my point because clearly you don’t here.

squad capable? Iv seen nothing but dross from us since Xmas, literally nobody that can show any composure or put the ball into the net. And if you don’t score lad, well , you don’t win games 

Why you take into the entire season not the small part of the season that suits your point. 

I understand the point you made thanks and I think you are wrong on it

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Damien Johnson was appointed Mowbray 2 and half seasons ago

Why you take into the entire season not the small part of the season that suits your point. 

I understand the point you made thanks and I think you are wrong on it

Before Xmas all we had doing it was brereton and even he has dried up. The Chile thing might be good for his confidence but it’s not great for our club that he is so unavailable from it. That being said we shouldn’t be relying on one player , replacements weren’t found or poor recruitment have caused this to be the case.

the way you answered the previous post shows clearly you didn’t understand or read my post correctly in that you were trying to dissect levels of crapness between the managers 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Incoming FACT.

The death spiral run last season was statistically worse than Coyle. Think that makes him worse at football management.

No it doesn’t. You’re just using one run from his managerial career to suit your argument. Far too small of a sample size.

• Like 3

Tony Mowbray is a better manager than Steve fecking Kean and Owen Coyle. 

Ridiculous I’m even having to say it, but no surprise as some of of you have completely lost the plot in recent times and with it all perspective…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Tony Mowbray is a better manager than Steve fecking Kean and Owen Coyle. 

Ridiculous I’m even having to say it, but no surprise as some of of you have completely lost the plot in recent times and have lost all perspective…

Mowbray may well be better than Kean or Coyle, but he is still, in my opinion, a poor manager, at our level. 

• Like 4

• Backroom

Taking full seasons into account Mowbray has never come close to relegating us, regardless of the death spirals and terrible runs of form and numerous negative records set during his tenure. Poor manager, yes, but not on the level of Kean and Coyle, both of whom effectively doomed us to relegation with their decisions and results. Kean moreso than Coyle obviously, but I'm absolutely sure we would have gone down under Coyle's "leadership" if he'd been allowed to continue wrecking the club. 

Frustration towards Mowbray is completely understandable in light of recent events, but equating him with Kean or Coyle is nonsense. He's more on the Bowyer level of not good enough, but not a total disaster either. 

Mowbray's place in Rovers history is complicated. Got us out of League 1 at the first time of asking and signed some very good players for us. Achieved some excellent results and during certain periods we've played some good stuff. However was also unable to save us in 16/17, set a number of terrible records including our heaviest ever home defeat, has almost surely blown our best chance of promotion in a decade and is likely to leave us with an emancipated squad in need of a hefty rebuild. The Brockhall saga is also a black cloud over his reign which I won't forget. 

A lot more detail could be added but I suppose my view is that Mowbray's tenure is ultimately a mixed bag, whereas Kean and Coyle's tenures brought nothing but negative, severe consequences which set the club back immeasurably.

• Like 4

Lets not talk about Mowbray in the same breath as Kean or Coyle as one was a narsissistic conman the other a goon.

He was a breath of fresh air for a few seasons but hit his glass ceiling at full pelt 2 years ago. Since then hes just been floundering around trying to hang on to his journey as long as possible. This season he had his hand forced after years of easy street and hit on a formula that worked well with what he had for once. Sadly once it went wrong he hadn't the first scooby what to do about it. Either on the pitch or in the window so his natural revert to type instincts kicked in.

What he does now could be the most important thing hes done in the last 4 years as Rovers boss because after this season there'll likely be another downgrade. I think though having fans back this season and actually having to graft on matchday instead of slumbering the pressure of a good season has got to him.

I bet he dreams of midtable obscurity in front of 9k silent fans and talk of ignoring the league, being happy at 1-0 reverses because he's a development coach who only cares about individuals progress.

Remember all that ?  Because it was only last season he was labeling himself as such.

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For me re-appointing Mowbray would the equivalent of appointing Coyle. We know what he’s capable of and it’s not good enough. It never has been for me. I bailed out temporarily when we appointed Coyle. I didn’t watch us, I didn’t take any interest in the club or football apart from looking at the scores at 4-55 on a Saturday. I didn’t come on this site.

Being really honest I felt a lot better for it. My weekends weren’t ruined any more.

This is the first year I've taken any real interest since Kean was appointed. 

I couldn't have named a single player we had for the last few years. 

I have come back and I see nothing has changed. The cancerous infestation that is Venkys still remains and so does all of the symptoms that come with it.

• Like 1

Mowbray wasted so much time trying to implement that tippy tappy stuff. Yet the truth is the best goal we have ever scored of that nature came under Coyle in September 2016. A 25 pass team goal away at Derby. Mowbray can only dream of such goals.

I'm going to say something which maybe nobody will agree with. This is not a wind up, it's only my opinion. If Mowbray was potted tomorrow and replaced by Coyle, I believe Coyle would finish the job off from this position and get us up through the play offs.

Hear me out. He'd have a better squad to work with. He'd have a stronger defensive unit at hand. He's an attacking manager, that's his nature and he would not be afraid to go for it. He plays players in their proper positions and actually uses strikers in his system. He'd most likely get Gally going again too.

Coyle would have got us two strikers in the January window just gone, IMO. Heck, he got us a glut of them when he was here earlier. He almost certainly would not have been so arrogant and blase to turn down strikers, throw away a real chance of promotion, and then stubbornly claim that he doesn't regret his January business, or lack of it. Chuck into that pinning our fall on "young lads who've never been near the top end".

I'm not calling for his return, even though it might sound like that. I'm so hacked off by Mowbray throwing away our best chance in years to go up and him not being the least bit bothered about it.

A crap manager who isn't even interested in promotion. 3-1 up against Derby and he has a face like a smacked backside. Tinkering and back to his bizarre tactical self at Reading and he's active and happy. That's not the type of individual I want to see managing our club. The arrogance of the man compounds matters, so much so that it's got me seeing Coyle in a more favourable light. Needless to say, a change is badly needed in the summer.

Edited by SuperBrfc

16 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The only way we'll end up in the play off would be with a new manager bounce.

We needed a striker in January but that didn't happen so hopes of a new manager are unrealistic.

This is Blackburn Rovers nowadays 👎

We will get something better - the Diaz bounce. I don't know why - but I think he will come back and continue his rise from £7m flop to superstar striker - and in process provide the goals to get us in the play offs.

6 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

We will get something better - the Diaz bounce. I don't know why - but I think he will come back and continue his rise from £7m flop to superstar striker - and in process provide the goals to get us in the play offs.

That’s asking a lot of a player who’s been out for many weeks with injury. Weren’t his goals drying up before his layoff? I went to the West Brom game where he got injured and we looked toothless then. I wouldn’t bank on Ben B to save out season though it obviously helps to have him back because he will give the team some shape and Tony might give up on some of his daft formations 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

That’s asking a lot of a player who’s been out for many weeks with injury. Weren’t his goals drying up before his layoff? I went to the West Brom game where he got injured and we looked toothless then. I wouldn’t bank on Ben B to save out season though it obviously helps to have him back because he will give the team some shape and Tony might give up on some of his daft formations 

I think his trips to play for Chile, especially the one at high altitude, had taken their toll. I agree that we should not pin our hopes on him, but think he had burned out and a break may have done him good.

I have already gone on record to say the play off hops are gone, so don't think it will make any difference, in terms of the play off chances, but I would like to see a few goals and the odd win, before the end of the season, if nothing else.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2022 at 21:47, simongarnerisgod said:

Pulis was mentioned a few pages back. There's a real possibility of him replacing Mowbray at some point, due to his agency connection. I'm not enthused by the idea, but he isn't one to throw away opportunities to win and then just shrug it off, so he would be an improvement on Mowbray

there is no b****t with pulis,it won`t be pretty or subtle but he`ll win us games and tell us the truth if we don`t,anyone not putting 100% in or just not good enough will be jettisoned quickly

and just think - Mark Hughes is currently plying his trade at Bradford............