BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

image.thumb.jpeg.d692cb6dde57df21fadf1acf4af6771c.jpeg

I was searching this morning for Coventry City forums to find their views on Mowbray. It’s quite bizarre how in 2016 their fans are having the exactly the same discussions that we did during the start of a Mowbray death spiral. Looking at the results and positions briefly it’s almost like a carbon copy of his time with us. 

As someone else asked previously, why does this happen? Many of the Mowbray apologists blame injuries, bad luck, lack of funds in January etc, but the common denominator is Mowbray. Does he himself not notice the pattern? His mood after January always reflects the results, does he mood affect the results or the results affect his mood? Does he get bored after January? From what I know of Mowbray, he won’t for one minute believe(or at least admit)it’s his own fault and anyone that questions he will face his wrath. The LET and Radio Lancashire would never have the balls to ask the question. Or the CEO for that matter. 

Maybe a psychologist could sort him out? Or maybe he wouldn’t listen to advice and tell them he’s wrong. 

Maybe we could look at bringing in a second manager. Let Mowbray manage until January and then let him have a break for the rest of the season. I imagine his record minus January onwards is pretty good throughout his career. 

https://www.thefootballforum.net/threads/mowbrays-last-supper-coventry-city-v-colchester-united.10423/ 

• Like 2

I said that before, let Mowbray be in charge summer to Jan then let him have his holidays and family time.  Leave the backroom staff in charge for the rest of the season.

I 100% bet the bad cycle would be broken there is something more to it involving him for sure,  as far as i'm concerned it's because he'd rather accept it than admit and change it.

Too stubborn for his or should i say his teams own good his go to option just like his subs when losing has always been throw people on for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

mowbrays main problem was the massive belief in himself he was a top class manager,it explains the bizarre formations and condescending attitude he had for fans and the press,of course he was`nt a top manager or coach,he was an average one at best and a poor one imo,thats why we never got a consistent run of results going,he was intent on changing things around because of his own ego,he was`nt a good enough communicator or tactician and his players were also not good enough to carry out his various tactical machinations

The Hedges situation sums up Mowbray's difficulties in recent years. He seems to have signed a useful player, at least, technically, clearly gifted but then can't get the best out of him. In Hedges case, he wasn't included in the team until the season had got away from us. Mowbray has claimed that Hedges wasn't ready for some reason but nor was Gallagher, ready as a right winger and he was a fixture in the team.

The same might be said of Buckley. His wonder goal on Saturday was all the more impressive because he started it by beating a man and hitting a cross-field pass, before getting it back. He's got a lot of attributes but it seems that he's most suited to the deeper role where he can play those passes - rather than as a forward. Moreover, he lacks conviction at times and is clearly not ready to be a forward - and may never be one, though, he had an impact there during the winning run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbrays main problem was the massive belief in himself he was a top class manager,it explains the bizarre formations and condescending attitude he had for fans and the press,of course he was`nt a top manager or coach,he was an average one at best and a poor one imo,thats why we never got a consistent run of results going,he was intent on changing things around because of his own ego,he was`nt a good enough communicator or tactician and his players were also not good enough to carry out his various tactical machinations

So he must just ignore the results over the season? His overall record isn’t anywhere near top class and at times is very low class. 
If he was a chef, his restaurant would go downhill after Christmas and he’d blame the customers palates. He has the ego of José with the results of Stanley Ternant!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d692cb6dde57df21fadf1acf4af6771c.jpeg

I was searching this morning for Coventry City forums to find their views on Mowbray. It’s quite bizarre how in 2016 their fans are having the exactly the same discussions that we did during the start of a Mowbray death spiral. Looking at the results and positions briefly it’s almost like a carbon copy of his time with us. 

As someone else asked previously, why does this happen? Many of the Mowbray apologists blame injuries, bad luck, lack of funds in January etc, but the common denominator is Mowbray. Does he himself not notice the pattern? His mood after January always reflects the results, does he mood affect the results or the results affect his mood? Does he get bored after January? From what I know of Mowbray, he won’t for one minute believe(or at least admit)it’s his own fault and anyone that questions he will face his wrath. The LET and Radio Lancashire would never have the balls to ask the question. Or the CEO for that matter. 

Maybe a psychologist could sort him out? Or maybe he wouldn’t listen to advice and tell them he’s wrong. 

Maybe we could look at bringing in a second manager. Let Mowbray manage until January and then let him have a break for the rest of the season. I imagine his record minus January onwards is pretty good throughout his career. 

https://www.thefootballforum.net/threads/mowbrays-last-supper-coventry-city-v-colchester-united.10423/ 

He’s a lazy minded git, or he gets bored or complacent.

Or maybe he just stumbles upon a winning formula and when he’s found out he has no idea how to change things.

Being stubborn seems to be his biggest failing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

He’s a lazy minded git, or he gets bored or complacent.

Or maybe he just stumbles upon a winning formula and when he’s found out he has no idea how to change things.

Being stubborn seems to be his biggest failing.

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

The Coventry forum from 2016 is a mirror image of here. He is a serial under achiever.Too old in the tooth now to change his ways.. no way should he be getting even a rolling contract.

The forum I posted was a general football forum for all teams, but that thread was a carbon copy. They called him the fraud on the their, accused of brain washing the fans. They also mentioned  taking the CEO with him. Waggot I presume? 

It’s just crazy how some fans lap up all the shit coming out of his gob. He’d probably walk straight into Coronation Street. He’d be pretty decent I reckon. Maybe that’s too far to travel thought. Is Byker Grove still going? 😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, goozburger said:

Today's drip feed from the LT. Doesn't want to manage in Scotland. Wants to manage in this league or higher.

Please, Venkys, cut the cord now and put us all out of his misery!

I'd sack him at the START of a 5 year contract if he'd said this:

https://twitter.com/OTDHUFC/status/1524048316648108033?s=20&t=P_qOubP7nw6q2ANHvCGn6g

• Like 1

As Sheffield Wednesday plan for another season in division 3, with the biggest budget in the division and the highest paid player, I think it’s worth pointing out…….

Promotions are hard work, budgets and money guarantee nothing.

Cheers Tony, Doncaster, a night Rovers fans will never forget.

9FF5482D-6D78-4727-B8EA-9A85B65B022B.jpeg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Was that when we came 2nd?

Martin Allen - Under the Cosh. In part 2 at 51 mins Mad Dog explains the difference between promotion and going up as champions.

Its short and easy to follow so even on here can be understood ...  maybe.

Nice piece on Dack at Gillingham follows that.

On 11/05/2022 at 17:28, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd sack him at the START of a 5 year contract if he'd said this:

https://twitter.com/OTDHUFC/status/1524048316648108033?s=20&t=P_qOubP7nw6q2ANHvCGn6g

Last week a development coach, this week a PL in waiting.

Football's Walter Mitty.

He has as much chance of the PL as getting that statue built.

Fat and Slim, and Slim fecked off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Was that when we came 2nd?

Its short and easy to follow so even on here can be understood ...  maybe.

What Sheff Weds, Ipswich and Pompey would give for a 2nd place and promotion.

Stupid comment.

Edited by Gav

I'm sure they'd also give anything to have the biggest budget in the league and retain a mostly championship squuad for a season.

Maybe they'd even appreciate our owners instead of the ones they've got.

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure they'd also give anything to have the biggest budget in the league and retain a mostly championship squuad for a season.

Like Sheffield Wednesday you mean…..

The promotion season has been and gone now. 4 years ago which is an eternity in football.

Good achievement, well done, pats on the back and deserve a crack at the Championship, which he's had and then some.

Mowbray's a very lucky man that a whole 4 years on from finishing 2nd in the 3rd division with Blackburn Rovers that fans are still harking on about that being his big accomplishment, seemingly getting extra credit because there are some examples of other 'big' clubs who haven't done that.

Also no mention of mighty Rotherham who bounce up and down with regularity with a fraction of what Mowbray had here.

• Like 3

Always said that the 2017 relegation was the best thing to happen to Mowbray, but the worst thing to happen to the club because a huge portion of our fanbase seem to think that is our natural level now. Seems to have killed any ambition with a lot of folk.

I think of Mowbray had kept us up in 2017, a lot of folk who have him down as a saviour today would have been fed up of him long ago.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Like Sheffield Wednesday you mean…..

I doubt it's comparative to what was on offer here at the time.

Many factors come into it having the biggest income doesn't mean they have the biggest budget plus they are still suffering from an overspend on crap.  Our lot had gone someway to getting that down in wages terms although paying peanuts brought in monkeys. 

Also what external debt are Sheff W saddled with and payments on that ?   Something we weren't lumbered with due to the nature of Venkys funding, that will stick in your craw but it's a fact.

Here Mowbray was able to maintain a squad with a raft of players still on double figure wages even after relegation reduction clauses kicked in.  He was able to offer them promised contract extensions on promotion as a nice bonus as well.  Then he had room to bring in several others on loan one being from Newcastle on 19k pwk before contribution.  Add in committing a fee worth around a million for the best player in the division.

Then shall we mention an academy costing 3 million a season starting to churn out players to fill the squad ?

Whilst i 100% there's more to it than just the budget and management ability plays a part i can't help but notice you alter your narrative to suit more than Mowbray does.

When it comes to top 6 Championship it's all about budgets yet when it comes to trying to get promotion from league 1 it suddenly isn't all about budgets.

Keep digging.

My take on it was we were 2nd and to mowbray that was it,job done ,whereas a manager with some ambition would realise a club like ours ,the opportunities for silverware would be few and far between and would have gone all out for the top spot.All thru mowbrays tenure that has been his way .I recon had we made the playoffs he would have been shown up to be the ambitionless bloke he is

• Like 1

It was a good achievement, no question as you can very easily get stuck down there, however we also got lucky, us and Wigan aside it was a very weak league, I mean, Shrewsbury were our biggest rivals!

Now you’ve got Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Portsmouth, L1 masters Rotherham  all around the top 6.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It was a good achievement, no question as you can very easily get stuck down there, however we also got lucky, us and Wigan aside it was a very weak league, I mean, Shrewsbury were our biggest rivals!

Now you’ve got Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Portsmouth, L1 masters Rotherham  all around the top 6.

Agreed. Not to diminish our achievement in any way, but we got relegated at a time when L1 was pretty weak. Us and Wigan were by far the best teams in that division, and we came second despite (imo) playing quite poorly for portions of that campaign. 

Do we finish 2nd with the likes of Wigan, Rotherham, Sunderland, Sheff Weds, current day Wycombe/Oxford/MK Dons, Ipswich and Portsmouth to compete with? I'm not so sure. 

Sunderland and Ipswich probably should have gotten themselves back up by now with the resources at their disposal, but I think Sheff Weds were just unfortunate to drop into an unusually strong L1 division this season. 

Edited by DE.