BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

2 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Pearce's managerial record leaves a hell of a lot to be desired BUT, he is a huge advocate for developing the younger generation - he peddled the importance of the younger England teams for many years.... failing miserably with them at many a major tournament I may add.  If the V's are looking at this idea of utilising and developing the academy, Pearce may be someone you would look at for a role upstairs.  I always think he speaks well when I hear or see him on the media, seems to be an intelligent guy.

22 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That's exactly what I thought reading that article.  Small to no budget, not bothered about winning, just put players in the shop window. 

Back to being an agents vehicle.

You have to wonder yet again why the own the damn club if that's all they want.

It really looks like all they want if for is to waste a certain amount of money every year whilst getting a bit back every now and again from transfers. Meanwhile some in the middle continue to make money from commissions whilst others draw wages.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Gone off Ainsworth 😄

Screenshot_20220513-174946_Facebook.jpg

Dunno, looks like he has a team of players who can barely pass, yet he got them to 6th! Got to the same playoffs as MK Dons did, and knocked them out. Substance over style every day for me.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Blackburn rovers are a much bigger club than Burnley.  Eff the dingles 

I had to laugh, just good ol’ derision & contempt, sometimes says it all, lol. 

I’m probably the most recent Rovers convert on this board. I converted all the way from Texas, when I was 51 years old (I’m 60 now). I never knew the Rovers when they were Englands champs, or winning a League Cup, or playing in Europa. I never even knew them under Big Sam, Hendry, or Kean. 

I chose the Rovers (or, maybe they chose me?) But, I didn’t choose them because they were champs. It’s the easiest thing in the world to choose a team that’s winning big. I didn’t fall in love with Liverpool, Arsenal, or either Manchester club. I certainly didn’t fall for Chelsea, or Tots. I’ve been to Blackburn, one day, and to Ewood, one time. Never been to burnley.

I’d like to believe we’re a much bigger club, but the reality is, Blackburn is a bigger city, with a larger stadium, more hardware, and possibly more adherents. But burnley has been in the PL 9 years, while we’ve languished in lesser divisions for a decade. 

Maybe we can soon say we’re a bigger club and it won’t ring so hollow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Paul Senior was never a head of football operations really he was just a temp consultant hired to do a bit of dirty work.

Totally true. I'm a teacher (in East London) and he rocked up in a local authority meeting the year after he left rovers as a consultant to them regarding special needs. I was convinced it must be a twin. I emailed the head of the local authority to say why is someone who works in football being paid 600 a day to talk about kids with special needs... I emailed a photo of him at rovers.  Never saw him again. Tbf his cv suggests he's done similar but blagger of the highest quality 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Michael Carrick is being linked with Lincoln job and he is reported has interested in the job. 

A director of football is responsible for much more than just transfers and he is going for all of footballing structure. 

Nixon never said they was a shortlist already but Rovers planned to interview 6 candidates. This is where you aren't properly following the story. Sharpe has said we have had over 60 applications for the job. So that suggests to me this is sort after position but we have to appoint the right person for the head coach that we want they to fill

I have had a few bets on the next manager of us and that I have picked up some good odds on a few. 

Transfer recruitment was an example of the sort of task that a head coach wouldn't be responsible for, not a sole job description. Carrick was an example of a rookie manager, my point was that it might be easier to justify employing a rookie or a no mark as a head coach under the proviso that he has less responsibility anyway under that particular structure.

The 6 man shortlist was an easy headline that was very premature but is ultimately not far off being impossible to disprove, in order to get people to read his nonsense. The general consensus is that we are still taking in applications and haven't narrowed everything down yet, although that doesn't stop people from harassing journalists for hourly updates and micro-analysing the betting odds.

I have no confidence that either of these job roles will be filled by competent people or indeed with any speed or efficiency. Lets hope I am proved wrong against all historical examples.

21 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

We’ve had a lot worse than him to be fair. At least he got rid of Coyle and had the decency to bugger off when we were embarrassingly relegated to the third tier.

1 hour ago, Gavrover said:

Totally true. I'm a teacher (in East London) and he rocked up in a local authority meeting the year after he left rovers as a consultant to them regarding special needs. I was convinced it must be a twin. I emailed the head of the local authority to say why is someone who works in football being paid 600 a day to talk about kids with special needs... I emailed a photo of him at rovers.  Never saw him again. Tbf his cv suggests he's done similar but blagger of the highest quality 

Well i believe his wife was a registered agent so that's how he gets into football the game is infested with these suited corporate plonkers.

The guy at Sunderland in the first documentary strikes me as a Senior type just trying his hand at running a football club. Clearly hadn't the first clue what he was doing yet had license to spend somebody else's money and no doubt get a cut of the action.

Then we wonder why so many clubs end up falling foul of the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funny-old-game said:

Over 900 quid a day and they're looking for a new interim for the role...maybe I should apply! My CV can't be too much less suitable for the job, and two of my sisters are teachers. C'mon Highland Council, what do you say? I'll even do it for just 700 a day, bargain!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

As close ago as when Kilgalllon was here he said after he left that nobody knew who was doing what at Blackburn behind the scenes. 

If you need to know something you have to go through director of this that and the other then still get nowhere.

It is still like that today. About a year ago a respected figure in football got in touch with a relative of mine and said the following:

"Who the hell do I speak to at your football club? I can't get through to anybody. Who am I supposed to contact? Who is in charge of running the club?".

Bear in mind, said relative is a regular Rovers fan, like most of us on here, with no contacts at Ewood. The football person was so hacked off by the lack of communication, that he contacted my relative in the hope that he might be able to help in some way, simply due to him being a Rovers fan. The person also said Rovers were a joke behind the scenes.

We all have an idea as to how shambolic the operation is at Ewood, but to see somebody within the game say it too really drives it home. Everything that Mowbray has said upon leaving confirms it is still true to this present moment.

This Director of Football talk might sound exciting in theory, but it isn't for me with this lot in charge of it. It immediately screams Farke and Webber to many of us. We should be all over that as those two appointments might just be the "winning" moves that we need.

Do I expect them to do that? Not even a little bit. The talk of Stuart Pearce as a possible D.O.F is an alarm bell for me. I would be stunned if they landed us any of Farke, Dyche or Carvahal, all top appointments at this level, as it would go against almost everything they have done over the last 12 years. I would love to be wrong and for any of those three to come in though, obviously.

Based on a hunch, I think it could end up being:

Director of Football: Les Reed

Head Coach/manager: Nigel Adkins

2 hours ago, Gavrover said:

When he went from here an ex colleague of mine emailed me as he had turned up at the Council where he was a Director. Seems that he worked in LA for quite a bit.

No wonder local councils are in a financial mess. My council employed some pratt to "sort things out". I think she was on nearly a thousand a day. Utterly ridiculous. And she made a reet mess.

Local Authorities pre 1974 were run properly by a solicitor (Town Clerk), an engineer (Borough Surveyor), a doctor (Medical Officer) and an accountant (Borough Treasurer). The general public didn't get ripped off.

P.S. Sorry to go off topic.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It is still like that today. About a year ago a respected figure in football got in touch with a relative of mine and said the following:

"Who the hell do I speak to at your football club? I can't get through to anybody. Who am I supposed to contact? Who is in charge of running the club?".

Bear in mind, said relative is a regular Rovers fan, like most of us on here, with no contacts at Ewood. The football person was so hacked off by the lack of communication, that he contacted my relative in the hope that he might be able to help in some way, simply due to him being a Rovers fan. The person also said Rovers were a joke behind the scenes.

We all have an idea as to how shambolic the operation is at Ewood, but to see somebody within the game say it too really drives it home. Everything that Mowbray has said upon leaving confirms it is still true to this present moment.

This Director of Football talk might sound exciting in theory, but it isn't for me with this lot in charge of it. It immediately screams Farke and Webber to many of us. We should be all over that as those two appointments might just be the "winning" moves that we need.

Do I expect them to do that? Not even a little bit. The talk of Stuart Pearce as a possible D.O.F is an alarm bell for me. I would be stunned if they landed us any of Farke, Dyche or Carvahal, all top appointments at this level, as it would go against almost everything they have done over the last 12 years. I would love to be wrong and for any of those three to come in though, obviously.

Based on a hunch, I think it could end up being:

Director of Football: Les Reed

Head Coach/manager: Nigel Adkins

Yep it will just be whoever the tame agents get through the door there'll be no real plan to it.

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So Colour me stupid, but what specifically does a director of football do!

I think everything a manager does except coaching and matchday stuff.

26 minutes ago, bazza said:

No wonder local councils are in a financial mess. My council employed some pratt to "sort things out". I think she was on nearly a thousand a day. Utterly ridiculous. And she made a reet mess.

Local Authorities pre 1974 were run properly by a solicitor (Town Clerk), an engineer (Borough Surveyor), a doctor (Medical Officer) and an accountant (Borough Treasurer). The general public didn't get ripped off.

P.S. Sorry to go off topic.

This is garbage.

29 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So Colour me stupid, but what specifically does a director of football do!

In an ideal world you'd assume they deal with football operations within the club and deal with all the stuff so the manager/coach can just manage the first team.

In reality it's just a term and will mean different things in different clubs, here it could mean anything from sorting out car park passes to counting unsold pies.

• Like 1