BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

I don't think we improved at all last season. We had a good run and the teams around us all had bad spells. Otherwise we would've been nowhere near. How we were still in contention with a handful of games to go is incredible. Which is why it was such as massive missed opportunity. We will have to he ten times better to get another shot at the automatics or failing that at a play off place. Every season there is a team or two who over achieve ie Luton and Huddersfield this season just gone. Barnsley before that. This is what we should be aiming to do. We can't compete with parachute payment's and even if we do get players in, we won't spend a fortune. 

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't want a "transition" season - I want a competitive team fired up and ready for the new season. Life is short and alot of older fans don't have many seasons left. For me, the new man needs to hit the ground running

I don't want a transition season either, but given the amount of time taken to appoint both JDT and Broughton, I think that's going to be the likely outcome. Had they both been appointed a month ago my expectations of them would be higher. 

They've not been set up for success with a depleted squad needing fairly major forays into the transfer market. Had they been afforded a period of time for planning their jobs would be far easier. 

• Like 4

Tomasson still not confirmed, so we move onto page 369! The 400 target is now looking unlikely, but 375 in play?

For those playing along at home, naturally.

My feelings are a mixture of excitement and trepidation, not unlike almost every manager we've appointed since Souness if I'm being honest. Hughes, Allardyce and Mowbray at the better end of the scale, to Coyle and Kean at the bottom.

Interestingly, JDT will become only Rovers' second foreign manager, and first without any historic links to the club. 

Danish managers in the Championship over the last ten years are rare.

Leeds' Thomas Christiansen 2017/18 season who was sacked with Leeds in 10th place and a winning percentage of 42.9%

and

Brentford's Thomas Frank in 2018/19 season, who started as assistant, before taking over from Dean Smith and leading the Bees to promotion a couple of seasons later.

Danish links with Rovers

Preben Arentoft (1971-74)

Per Frandsen (1999-2000)

John Jenson - Assistant Manager - (2011)

Lars Jacobsen (2009-10)

Per Pedersen (1997-98)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Danish links with Rovers

Preben Arentoft (1971-74)

Per Frandsen (1999-2000)

John Jenson - Assistant Manager - (2011)

Lars Jacobsen (2009-10)

Per Pedersen (1997-98)

remembered we've had a few good uns from Malmo too, Olsson, Andersson (Anders and Patrik), Antonsson...

Sadly the English one Hodg'son' we got ended up being crap but Dahlin was a nice acquisition back in the 90s

5 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Somebody's been at Wiki already!

Personally, I'm not getting excited until I see him holding a Rovers scarf aloft. I remember similar with Warnock.

image.png.1593980b23b17c13bec028ec77cc8dbb.png

So is it most likely to be JDT then?

Perhaps JDT has realised what he’s letting himself in for (the most badly run, dysfunctional club in the country) and now pondering whether it’s a good idea before it’s to late?

Edited by pomster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Why don't you ask all the journalists who were writing and posting about it?

Anyhow, don't worry about me - also took a punt on JDT when he was 6/1 and will be handsomely in profit!

Honestly couldn’t write how ridiculous this is.

When the fun stops, stop.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, pomster said:

Perhaps JDT has realised what he’s letting himself in for (the most badly run, dysfunctional club in the country) and now pondering whether it’s a good idea before it’s to late?

The hold-up is for his work permit. That’s why Kompany hasn’t been confirmed as Dingle manager yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

The hold-up is for his work permit. That’s why Kompany hasn’t been confirmed as Dingle manager yet. 

But surely you announce him and add subject to be a work permit being granted.

I know we have seen some daft things at the club but surely after 5 weeks of a managerial search surely we have done our due diligence and know wether JDT meets the criteria for a work permit or not.

Read Kompanys isn't all to do with work permit issues he was applied for citizenship apparently

24 minutes ago, Butty said:

Yep. Believe I’ve read Sharpe saying JDT shouldn’t have similar issues on that front.

Announcement tomorrow I would imagine.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

We certainly weren’t massively improving from February onwards. 
Yes, of course the point of not renewing Mowbray’s contract should be to find someone who can take us further, within a reasonable timeframe, but you still have to factor all circumstances into the equation.

Even Farke only managed a mid-table finish in his first season at Norwich.

I will grant you that 15th wouldn’t be encouraging.

It seems illogical to focus on a chunk of the season rather than judge based on the entire season. We did improve, we finished 7 places higher.

Mowbray was correctly let go but he was a safe pair of hands, the key to rolling the dice is to surely hope for the top 6, not take steps back.

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

I don't think we improved at all last season. We had a good run and the teams around us all had bad spells. Otherwise we would've been nowhere near. How we were still in contention with a handful of games to go is incredible. Which is why it was such as massive missed opportunity. We will have to he ten times better to get another shot at the automatics or failing that at a play off place. Every season there is a team or two who over achieve ie Luton and Huddersfield this season just gone. Barnsley before that. This is what we should be aiming to do. We can't compete with parachute payment's and even if we do get players in, we won't spend a fortune. 

We finished 7th places higher, we definitely did improve specifically last season, no matter how much we can speculate about other teams or dismiss the importance of a series of wins in a good run which contributed to that final league finish.