BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He kept Leeds up last season when Bielsa was taking them down. Is that a bad experience now?

He did, but then he managed just 4 wins in 20 league games the following season and only managed 8 wins in 32 games overall in his time there. 

Pretty sure, from memory, he was backed pretty strongly in the summer as well.

It's an awful appointment, and if you saw anything of Leeds towards the end of his time there, they were abysmal.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

He did, but then he managed just 4 wins in 20 league games the following season and only managed 8 wins in 32 games overall in his time there. 

It's an awful appointment, and if you saw anything of Leeds towards the end of his time there, they were abysmal.

He was, including the likes of Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Kristensen and Wober who he had managed in the past.

Edited by roversfan99

Watched the highlights of the Spurs vs Brighton game. Quite stunned at the level of incompetence from both the officials and VAR. Incompetence so bad that you almost start questioning whether it's more than that. 

Tough for Brighton to take in a game that would have seen them knocking on the door for the Champions League had they won. Spurs really are very easy to dislike.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Watched the highlights of the Spurs vs Brighton game. Quite stunned at the level of incompetence from both the officials and VAR. Incompetence so bad that you almost start questioning whether it's more than that. 

Tough for Brighton to take in a game that would have seen them knocking on the door for the Champions League had they won. Spurs really are very easy to dislike.

It's not more than that, unfortunately it's pure incompetence. 

Incompetence aided by ineptitude from the Premier League. When VAR started the FA decided to adopt an NFL style central system - manned at Stockley Park - with 1 official sat in a room full of TV's in charge of reviewing all VAR decisions. Add in the lack of adhering to the FA's own "clear and obvious error" language (also used in the NFL) and it ends up being where we are today. 

Howard Webb took over the PGMOL in December. He hooked Mike Dean from VAR duties this week. It will take him time but I think that he'll improve VAR. 

I don't understand why the 4th official can't do VAR duties. I've aid that having an ex player involved would help too. 

I also wonder why referees do it. Someone (Tyrone I think) posted a really good article about Prem referees. It said that they only get paid 35 grand a year. I'd triple that for a start. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's not more than that, unfortunately it's pure incompetence. 

Incompetence aided by ineptitude from the Premier League. When VAR started the FA decided to adopt an NFL style central system - manned at Stockley Park - with 1 official sat in a room full of TV's in charge of reviewing all VAR decisions. Add in the lack of adhering to the FA's own "clear and obvious error" language (also used in the NFL) and it ends up being where we are today. 

Howard Webb took over the PGMOL in December. He hooked Mike Dean from VAR duties this week. It will take him time but I think that he'll improve VAR. 

I don't understand why the 4th official can't do VAR duties. I've aid that having an ex player involved would help too. 

I also wonder why referees do it. Someone (Tyrone I think) posted a really good article about Prem referees. It said that they only get paid 35 grand a year. I'd triple that for a start. 

There is nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, it works well generally in other countries. The problem lies with the actual VAR 's and their levels of competence. I have questioned from day one why the VAR operators have to be active or retired officials. Surely knowledge of the Laws and understanding the game are the biggest criteria for any VAR. And the 'clear and obvious error' instruction just muddies the water. A mistake is a mistake and should be corrected. That is fundamentally how the vast majority see VAR but the powers that be think they know better.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

There was a pretty poor one in the old firm game as well, though almost worth it to listen to Ally McCoist’s withering comments about the officials involved 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Bournemouth fans waxing lyrical about Rothwell on Twitter. Looks like he’s (finally) landing in the PL.

Really annoyed about that result. Don’t have any love for Leicester but I’d like Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic to go down. Their presence along with the likes of Brentford, Brighton etc in the top flight is irksome 

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Took over in 16th, finished 17th. Then was struggling in the following season hence the sacking.

So he did the job he was appointed for then

11 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I saw plenty of Leeds this season and the performances was good but results didn't match that

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He was, including the likes of Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Kristensen and Wober who he had managed in the past.

McKennie was only signed in January on loan then Marsch was sacked a week later or so

9 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

VAR was just as bad at Brentford vs Newcastle

10 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Talk about big club bias.

Had I been de Zerbi, I would have clocked the fourth official, not the opposition Manager.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

VAR was just as bad at Brentford vs Newcastle

To be fair it gave a nailed on penalty that was missed by the ref and disallowed an offside goal that was offside. The handball call is questionable but if the rules state that any contact by the scorer on their hand or arm is handball then its the rules at fault and not VAR.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

You dont need refs  doing VAR. VAR shouldn't be there to re-ref every decision it just needs someone with eyes to pipe up on the mic and say for example "I think that's hit his arm there do you want another look" the ref can then say "Yeah I saw it but XYZ" or "no I missed that bring it up onscreen" then the ref looks at it and makes a decision, not someone in a room hundreds of miles away, the red on the pitch. By all means use the VAR as a sounding board but the decision should be the refs.

What annoys me is that the ref will stand around for 2 minutes and then go to the monitor. Why not just go to the monitor as soon as its clear a decision needs to be made? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

There is nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, it works well generally in other countries. The problem lies with the actual VAR 's and their levels of competence. I have questioned from day one why the VAR operators have to be active or retired officials. Surely knowledge of the Laws and understanding the game are the biggest criteria for any VAR. And the 'clear and obvious error' instruction just muddies the water. A mistake is a mistake and should be corrected. That is fundamentally how the vast majority see VAR but the powers that be think they know better.

Doesn't matter now, the refs have played a blinder here.....VAR made the mistake and they apologise 🤣🤣🤣 

Refs have basically sorted themselves out and exonerated the on pitch refs on every contentious decision.   The on pitch ref ruled out a penalty at the time, so he was wrong too...

All of them wrong but this is the start of all this shit.  I'd get shut of VAR immediately 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Doesn't matter now, the refs have played a blinder here.....VAR made the mistake and they apologise 🤣🤣🤣 

Refs have basically sorted themselves out and exonerated the on pitch refs on every contentious decision.   The on pitch ref ruled out a penalty at the time, so he was wrong too...

All of them wrong but this is the start of all this shit.  I'd get shut of VAR immediately 

There has been millions invested in VAR and several years since it's inception it's no better (arguably worse) which speaks volumes for how it's managed. I think it's allowed referees to go into a comfort zone which takes away their gut feeling which over the years has been a real strength of the top officials. We saw two extreme examples of VAR at its worst yesterday. Brentford were awarded a penalty which the referee quite rightly initially didn't give. He was advised to go to the monitor which put him under pressure straight away. He then gave the penalty. Brighton were denied a stone wall penalty and the referee wasn't sent to the pitch side monitor. The technology is there, it works fine but the operators aren't up to the standard required. Quite how Howard Webb remedies that will be interesting.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead

Football is the only sport that technology doesn’t seem to work in, which is ironic given how much money is knocking about in it. I still think it could work, it just needs to be managed a hell of a lot better.

• Like 1

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

"I think that's hit his arm there do you want another look" the ref can then say "Yeah I saw it but XYZ" or "no I missed that bring it up onscreen" then the ref looks at it and makes a decision, 

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

And yet VAR seems to work in rugby. At rugby it seems to be that all the officials communicate with each other and come up with a collective decision, usually the right one.

Case in point yesterday in the rugby. Although shows how us as fans (in any sport) are never happy. 

Raynal was absolutely refusing to give a try until HE personally had seen the evidence/proof.

Suppose it's slightly different in football as the refs are always right up to the screen, although it is a small screen. 

Agree with the Dom though, the ref on the pitch making all the big decisions sits better with me. The technology should just be the aid to help that.