BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bradford City (a) 23/08/2022 League Cup

22 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Eek.

There's no physicality in that side whatsoever.

Yeah, have to agree. Not sure we would have ever had a shorter and lighter front four? Or actually entire side? 

Things I will be looking out for.... 1) Is Annesley bad as everyone says, 2) can Dack show he can press his way into the first team, 3) how do Morton and Wharton do - probably we need to get one of them into the first team to shore up midfield, so that's an interesting battle. 4) Szmodics, Vale and Dolan have struggled in the first team - can Markanday show he's the guy who can do the "short, tenacious, quick" role with much needed added quality and goal threat. 

Can't believe we have no centrebacks, and no back up for Travis, yet we have Sammie, Dack, Dolan, Markanday and Vale all vying for the number 10 shirt (and none of them being that convincing in it).  Totally mad.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Expecting a comfortable Bradford win, with us likely to rotate. As we know, Hughes is the man when it comes to roughing up the opposition. Plus he is fond of this competition.

He might not have the quality of player he once had, but I expect his physical players to make this another embarrassing night to add to the long collection of them under these owners. It's literally men v boys looking at the likely line ups.

2-0 Bradford.

28 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Lancslive Predicts:

-----------------Pears

JRC----Anneysley--Pickering--Edun

----------Morton---Wharton

Markandy------Dack-----Dolan

-----------------Vale

That's up there with one of the poorest back 4's we'll have seen in a long time.

Happy (poor choice of word) to be reminded but have we had a worse set of defenders in the last 30+ years? Genuinely, without exaggeration, I can't think of a worse-looking back 4. Even when we had some stinkers (ability, attitude or both) there was at least one redeeming presence.

I've told my Bradford-supporting mates they could be in for an exciting evening.

What about the younger of the Wharton brothers playing.  I liked the look of him, give him another go.

4-0 to the Bantams, sirry, U just think things are going to get a lot worse befire it get's better.  Henning Bergesque run coming up.  

Edited by USABlue

Fear for this one. Don’t usually advocate playing a fully weakened team and wish we would give the cups a real go but I just don’t see any option other than to put that line up out above and give it a Gary bowyer and hope for the best.

hopefully we might actually have some players for the next round of the gods smile upon us tonight 

• Like 1

Well, I'd say we are likely to concede as things stand, so the best form of defence we have may be to attack and hope we can edge it on having 'better quality' players, albeit somewhat green.

One thing we can't afford though is a heavy defeat - that will just put heads down all round, and as we know, football is a confidence game as much as it is one of skill and labour.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and go for a narrow defeat, 4-3 to Bratfud, with Vale notching a brace and Dack nodding in at the death to reduce our discomfort on paper.

Whappen to the early season optimism? The false dawn of a new beginning? Lady luck got her knickers in a twist? Peaked too erm, early? lol!

Give it a good go, though Rovers!

COYB!

Whilst the defence does look shit (Annesley being a wildcard), I think the midfield and attack has enough to beat a League 1/2 team.

Dack has a point to prove, as does Markanday - and Vale will be desperate to get his first goal of the season.

Morton and Wharton in the middle will be streets ahead of whatever Bradford have.

• Like 1

Due to negligence on recruitment and contracts we seem to always reach this stage in the League Cup. What should be an opportunity for us to progress in the competition against a 4th division side is now seen as an unwanted distraction and a risk owing to our threadbare squad. I will be going over expecting us to struggle as we field a team of kids.

Maybe one day we will be able to actually go for it in the cup, but think we need rid of these diabolical owners and friends for that to happen. Until then we will face the same situation every August - not enough players as we've let a load go and haven't sorted our recruitment out.

And before anyone says 'that's just the way it is in the Championship' - no it isn't - a glance at the other sides tonight will show that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Eek.

There's no physicality in that side whatsoever.

This is something to be discussed. 
Werent Mark Hughes’ Rovers known to be… shall we say, physical?

I bet Bradford play us this way today. Rovers lad ms from what I see are generally nice, inoffensive fellows. 

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Due to negligence on recruitment and contracts we seem to always reach this stage in the League Cup. What should be an opportunity for us to progress in the competition against a 4th division side is now seen as an unwanted distraction and a risk owing to our threadbare squad. I will be going over expecting us to struggle as we field a team of kids.

Maybe one day we will be able to actually go for it in the cup, but think we need rid of these diabolical owners and friends for that to happen. Until then we will face the same situation every August - not enough players as we've let a load go and haven't sorted our recruitment out.

And before anyone says 'that's just the way it is in the Championship' - no it isn't - a glance at the other sides tonight will show that.

100%. As much as we moan about early cup exits, it’s always a thinly disguised blessing. Today I’m hoping that we pick a team containing players I know aren’t up to the job, because we can’t risk the ones that are.

• Like 2

The excitement is non-existent for this evening, to be honest. I think I'd rather be mowing the lawn, rain permitting, or maybe even in the rain, rather than watching this...

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Is this on iFollow? Match Centre suggests it is (can see the "watch live" button) but I'm not sure?

Don't think it is. The Hartlepool match also showed up as "watch live", but when you selected it said "Match is not available" or something similar.

As far as I know cup matches is not part of the iFollow subscription/rights. Think Rich Sharpe also said that there wouldn't be any streaming in this match too.