BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just got back from the game and I am disappointed with the result and performances today. 

we started the game well and should have scored in the opening 5 minutes with Dack and Hedges shots, but Bristol City came in the game and created a few good chances. Rovers just couldn't get going and we lack tempo and bite today in the first half. Hirst had a great chance to scored but didn't. Bristol City took a deserved lead after catching us on the counter. 

Second half we made 2 changes and started ok but then Bristol City caught us on the counter again with another goal. Dolan scored and it was good ball by Edun to Dolan who scored the goal. Good finish by him. Then we again shot ourselves by conceded again. Rovers kept going and scored again from Good pass by Dolan and Brereton-Diaz did the rest. Shamed we did keep at 2-1 for more than we did cos it could have different game. 

Hirst had a decent game with a couple of good runs, put himself about and had a great chance to score. I was surprised he was taken off when he was, and I would have taken Adam Wharton off for Vale and gone 2 up front with Buckley and Morton in centre midfield. 

Vale, Edun Dolan and Buckley had an impacted on the game. Dolan scored a goal and assist today. Vale's movement and link up play helped the team. Buckley can spot a pass. Edun won the ball back and set Dolan up for his goal. 

I thought Hyam shown why we signed despite us conceding 3 and losing. 

Bristol City front 3 used their clever movement and runs to exposed our back 4 and get down the side/gap between the Full back and centre back. They deserved the win. 

Rovers kept going and fighting to the last minute and not the result I wanted but we moved to the next game and lets go and beat Wigan next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵

Was it Dolan fault it didn't or down to the head coach then? 

Considering that both the performance and result was crap, did no individual warrant any criticism from you?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There are alternative solutions to playing Vale there who couldn't score in non league and is so far off the level.

Markanday if fit should have been on the bench ahead of him.

Vale had an impact on the game, some good link up play tonight and shown again why JDT likes him. 

Markanday isn't a number 9 striker, is he?

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There are alternative solutions to playing Vale there who couldn't score in non league and is so far off the level.

Markanday if fit should have been on the bench ahead of him. Alternatively, Hedges should have been left on knowing that Hirst wouldn't last and either he or Dolan could go centrally. Dack should have been left on too.

Dack was brought off as he's had a lot of minutes and was tired according to JDT. (he also wasn't playing well). Hedges was awful and no wonder he was hooked. He's also not a striker. 

Vale came on because he was the back-up striker. He just isn't ready. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Fair summary from the Chadster.  Not sure what your point is?

I don't compute how such a poor performance and result that was even described as "disappointing" by the poster in question led to a detailed report in which no individual received any criticism.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Vale had an impact on the game, some good link up play tonight and shown again why JDT likes him. 

Markanday isn't a number 9 striker, is he?

Aside from one pass to Brereton, Vale was typically ineffective.

What does he do well? Slow, weak, technically poor, not a goal threat.

Not his fault, just playing well, well above his level.

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Dack was brought off as he's had a lot of minutes and was tired according to JDT. (he also wasn't playing well). Hedges was awful and no wonder he was hooked. He's also not a striker. 

He certainly isn't ready, he is so far off it is untrue. There were alternative solutions available that could have been used.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Fair summary from the Chadster.  Not sure what your point is?

We were battered today, off the pace from the first whistle, surely you recognise that?

I guess that is his point.

Edited by Gav

19 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's fit enough to run out for the U21s and during cup matches, but not in the league. I wonder if JDT just doesn't fancy him?

Exactly.

If this was a TM performance, selection and tactics he'd quite rightly get it in the neck.

No one is asking for JDT to be sacked but from our point of view he has to be acknowledged as part culpable for what is going on out there. To me he is massively tactically naive to what goes on in this league as tough and rough as it can be the Championship is also very technical. You can't over egg it though with such a bunch of young, new and inexperienced players.

Back to something basic please, if he knows how.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

Just seen our 2nd goal as I had left by that point. It reminds me to question why is Brereton played so wide now. He’s more left mid than an attacker. He’s almost glued to the touchline at times.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Onwards and upwards. JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵

I find JDT to be tactically naïve. The performances are bad because of the way he sets the team up and the way he asks them to play. That's the third time in the last 5 league games we've conceded 3, and we also look fairly toothless going forward. 

The desperation subs he makes at H/T are a worry too. It suggests he gets it wrong from the start quite often. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly.

If this was a TM performance, selection and tactics he'd quite rightly get it in the neck.

No one is asking for JDT to be sacked but from our point of view he has to be acknowledged as part culpable for what is going on out there. To me he is massively tactically naive to what goes on in this league as tough and rough as it can be the Championship is also very technical.

maybe one of the senior pro`s will tell him that your not in sweden anymore,the game in england is full on every week,even the bottom sides in the league don`t roll over

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He blew to indicate the goal as the ball had crossed the line before Kaminski stopped it with his legs. I saw him quickly glance at his watch for confirmation that the ball had crossed the line and he immediately whistled to signal the goal.

Brereton's part in giving away the free kick that led to the goal infuriated me. It was the most stupid, irresponsible foul imaginable and we paid a heavy price for his idiocy. And the 'wall' consisted of Dolan, utterly pointless. There is one similarity between Mowbray and Thomasson which is irritating as both have/had everyone back for corners and don't offer an outlet to counter if we win the ball.

Yes, the challenge was right in front of me. It was lazy from BBD. 

I thought Kam saved the first one with his legs that you mention and then their lad stuck the rebound in the top corner...then the whistle blew so I thought it was to disallow the goal. 

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He's 21 and should be showing much, much more.  He's just not good enough - there's no spark there in fact I don't think there's anything at all.

If you are good enough then you are old enough as Phillips and Wharton have proved.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If you are good enough then you are old enough as Phillips and Wharton have proved.

The reaction to Wharton at Blackpool was typically and deservedly over the top, he was excellent on the night against an awful Blackpool side.

Today he was average at best, looked out of his depth at times against a physical team that came to play.

We shouldn’t be filling the first team full of 21yr olds, following ‘The Venky’ model, it’s a road to ruin and JDT will learn that sooner rather than later.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

maybe one of the senior pro`s will tell him that your not in sweden anymore,the game in england is full on every week,even the bottom sides in the league don`t roll over

By the sounds of it he'll be determined to do it his way so lets hope we can tread water whilst his style is implemented and players get used to it.

A full season and preseason and another 2 windows things should look a lot more settled next season. I'm uneasy though as i'm not convinced he's a settled side kind of guy.

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Today he was average at best, looked out of his depth at times against a physical team that came to play.

Big surprise the 18 year old looked out of his depth v physicality ....Manager should have known this and brought him on last 30 today, the kid must have felt drained after his week 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just got back from the game and I am disappointed with the result and performances today. 

we started the game well and should have scored in the opening 5 minutes with Dack and Hedges shots, but Bristol City came in the game and created a few good chances. Rovers just couldn't get going and we lack tempo and bite today in the first half. Hirst had a great chance to scored but didn't. Bristol City took a deserved lead after catching us on the counter. 

Second half we made 2 changes and started ok but then Bristol City caught us on the counter again with another goal. Dolan scored and it was good ball by Edun to Dolan who scored the goal. Good finish by him. Then we again shot ourselves by conceded again. Rovers kept going and scored again from Good pass by Dolan and Brereton-Diaz did the rest. Shamed we did keep at 2-1 for more than we did cos it could have different game. 

Hirst had a decent game with a couple of good runs, put himself about and had a great chance to score. I was surprised he was taken off when he was, and I would have taken Adam Wharton off for Vale and gone 2 up front with Buckley and Morton in centre midfield. 

Vale, Edun Dolan and Buckley had an impacted on the game. Dolan scored a goal and assist today. Vale's movement and link up play helped the team. Buckley can spot a pass. Edun won the ball back and set Dolan up for his goal. 

I thought Hyam shown why we signed despite us conceding 3 and losing. 

Bristol City front 3 used their clever movement and runs to exposed our back 4 and get down the side/gap between the Full back and centre back. They deserved the win. 

Rovers kept going and fighting to the last minute and not the result I wanted but we moved to the next game and lets go and beat Wigan next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵

Was it Dolan fault it didn't or down to the head coach then? 

What impact did Vale have? Giving the ball away? Not being mobile? He was shit 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

An absolute shambles for the second home game running and some real worrying signs both from the players and from the manager.

Tomasson got his team selection wrong today, Travis at right back was an ongoing disaster, he signed a centre back this week but even if you say right he has gone unchanged from Wednesday, his subs and decision making on the back of that were shocking.

Defensively, Hyam was the best although his part in their first was really naive. Not sure what game the person who awarded the man of the match was watching, Carter was somewhat out of his depth including a ludicrous pass in the second half that put Wells in. Pickering is an easy scapegoat at the moment, he was neither particularly good nor one of our very worst performers and Travis as mentioned was a massive liability throughout.

Both of the midfield two really struggled, Wharton's touch was off and he kept slipping and/or losing it and Morton was horrendous, kept giving the ball away and trying stupid passes. Hedges often takes one touch too many, neither him and Dack were great but why take them off at half time? Brereton was really poor but did again score and also made runs that repeatedly weren't found.

The 2 forwards, wow. Hirst aside from one decent run in the first minute had a very poor debut, he kept getting caught offside, he was weak, he couldn't hold it up and he never looked like scoring. And Jack Vale, why he keeps getting minutes under a manager who had such a great history as a striker himself is scandalous, he has literally nothing good to his game, no pace, no strength, technically poor, summed up by that shot at the end. Why is Markanday behind him?!

And the subs made no sense, there was a blatant weakness in our defence that was ignored at half time, we had a Tomasson signed centre back on the bench, why ignore him? Dolan had an impact but Buckley was not an upgrade on Dack.

Completely agree. A lot to ponder for JDT

• Like 2