BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

59 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Rubbish. Nothing like him.  Obviously you have no idea what type of player he is.  I'd say he's more like a Dolan figure, links rhe play nicely and decent pace...

I agree with you. The eye test is enough to tell anybody that Gelhardt is nothing like Hirst. One is lively, tricky on the ball and can cause defenders problems, the other is George Hirst. Wigan will be getting a good player there.

• Like 3

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1719419/Newcastle-transfer-news-Everton-Leeds-Championship-Ben-Brereton-Diaz-Premier-League

So it looks like nobody is buying Diaz for 15 million quid. 
They will all pick him up on a free at the end of the year when alt least one may be in the championship. 

At a time when strikers are being signed for 4 times the money minimum, why risk missing out? 

As for us, Venkys are trusting that 15 million is worth sacrificing if we make the playoffs with Diaz goals. Good for them. 

We supposedly have an army of crack operators in the recruitment area. We should have had options lined up by now. Transfer chat could be another 300 pager before the shoe drops. 

Edited by bigbrandjohn

12 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1719419/Newcastle-transfer-news-Everton-Leeds-Championship-Ben-Brereton-Diaz-Premier-League

So it looks like nobody is buying Diaz for 15 million quid. 
They will all pick him up on a free at the end of the year when alt least one may be in the championship. 

At a time when strikers are being signed for 4 times the money minimum, why risk missing out? 

As for us, Venkys are trusting that 15 million is worth sacrificing if we make the playoffs with Diaz goals. Good for them. 

We supposedly have an army of crack operators in the recruitment area. We should have had options lined up by now. Transfer chat could be another 300 pager before the shoe drops. 

Lol at that article calling 15 million 'eye-watering'. Fuck off, it's bugger all to Prem clubs, especially Newcastle if they genuinely do want him. If he were fully under contract it wouldn't even be eyebrow-raising. It's the going rate for a player with his track record at this level the last 18 months. It's only the contract situation that makes it seem a lot, but as you and others have said, he can only go to one club. There are foreign clubs sniffing too, who could move now to stop these domestic teams from even being in the bidding. He's only going to want a much bigger wage and fees if he moves for a free too.

You'd also think they'd Everton and Leeds would want someone right now to help with their relegation struggle. Even if they still got relegated, they'd be going down with a proven Championship attacker who knows the league. Personally I think that, assuming they think he's good enough, they're idiotic to not be testing our resolve with at least a 10 mill bid even if they think 15 is a stretch. They've probably all paid more for youth team prospects. Hell, even we paid 7 mill for him before he had shone consistently in this league, and we're chamber pot poor.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, imy9 said:

That line about Broughton, on what do you base this on? One loan transfer made with a few weeks to go of the transfer window? Of the three permanent transfers one is probably player of the year contender so far, one is a massive upgrade at RB (his injuries have been unfortunate) and Sammie who has made some contribution in goals and assists. This summer is where I’ll judge his transfer record but his role is across the football club and not just transfers. 

My opinions are based upon what I see:

• Hyam - undoubtedly an excellent signing
  • Brittain - looks promising though seems very injury prone.  Is he really that much better than Nyambe?
  • Szmodics - Think Posh really saw us coming.  Doesn't contribute enough and Championship might well be a league too high for him
  • Morton - too much hype for me about a very average player.  At 20, not a star in the making - otherwise would be knocking them bandy in the PL by now.  Worryingly, blocking the development of Adam Wharton
  • Hirst - scary, scary, scary.  Our prime  striking target and actually we looked to buy him.  A huge disaster.
  • Mola - runs Hirst close in the disaster stakes
  • Travis / Buckley - new lengthy contacts for two increasing liabilities

If I was reviewing Broughton's performance it would be no more than a 2 out of 10.

Think football is full of bullsh1tters and sadly, I think Broughton and JDT have added to the numbers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Lol at that article calling 15 million 'eye-watering'. Fuck off, it's bugger all to Prem clubs, especially Newcastle if they genuinely do want him. If he were fully under contract it wouldn't even be eyebrow-raising. It's the going rate for a player with his track record at this level the last 18 months. It's only the contract situation that makes it seem a lot, but as you and others have said, he can only go to one club. There are foreign clubs sniffing too, who could move now to stop these domestic teams from even being in the bidding. He's only going to want a much bigger wage and fees if he moves for a free too.

You'd also think they'd Everton and Leeds would want someone right now to help with their relegation struggle. Even if they still got relegated, they'd be going down with a proven Championship attacker who knows the league. Personally I think that, assuming they think he's good enough, they're idiotic to not be testing our resolve with at least a 10 mill bid even if they think 15 is a stretch. They've probably all paid more for youth team prospects.

If Newcastle are buying, price just doubled.

Newcastle see themselves in the Champions League next season and in the Super League when it happens.

With all due respect to Ben he doesn't fit those expectations.

Not when they can afford whomever they want .... ok they have the downside of being a shitehole but money sorts that out.

He is a fit for both Everton and Leeds now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

• Brittain - looks promising though seems very injury prone.  Is he really that much better than Nyambe?
  • Szmodics - Think Posh really saw us coming.  Doesn't contribute enough and Championship might well be a league too high for him
  • Morton - too much hype for me about a very average player.  At 20, not a star in the making - otherwise would be knocking them bandy in the PL by now.  Worryingly, blocking the development of Adam Wharton
  • Hirst - scary, scary, scary.  Our prime  striking target and actually we looked to buy him.  A huge disaster.

If I was reviewing Broughton's performance it would be no more than a 2 out of 10.

Think football is full of bullsh1tters and sadly, I think Broughton and JDT have added to the numbers.

I think JDT, has improved quite a few players:

Pickering

JRC

Dolan

I genuinely believe the following aren't up to it:

Szmodics

Travis

Hirst

The following have potential:

Buckley

Mola - think he lacks confidence.

Still unsure

Morton - far too many errors and lapses in concentration.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

2 out of 10? 

He managed to get deals for A Wharton and Phillips sorted out.

All our players,Dack and Brererton aside are tied down for the foreseeable. 

On recruitment Broughton and JDT were late to the party ,staff from the Mowbray era still prominent.He has now recruited a new head of recruitment and other staff to work on bringing player's in.Surely he needs a bit longer before he can be judged properly?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You are not far wrong on the player analysis.

The club are currently active in getting wages off the books so hopefully that is a step towards incoming.

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Wow. Just wow.

I agree there are bullsh1tters in football, but how you can argue with a straight face that GB and JDT are amongst them is impressively poor judgment & is just peddling a narrative that everything at the club is rotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

Some of the comments on here have suggested he is not even a professional footballer(!)

He most certainly is a professional footballer, but what 'comments on here' have suggested is that from his 1st kick for Rovers, til his last, he didn't for one second show any ability to justify paying him to play football. At any level. 

Is that more palatable? 

We just say what we see, and deal in facts. Those are the facts, in the eyes of 98% of unblinkered Rovers fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

Wow. Just wow.

I agree there are bullsh1tters in football, but how you can argue with a straight face that GB and JDT are amongst them is impressively poor judgment & is just peddling a narrative that everything at the club is rotten.

Correct. Can anybody imagine an impartial observer from outside looking at those running a club who have no parachute payments but have risen to third in the table clear of all the other clubs who do not have parachute payments meriting 2 out of 10 for their performance ?

• Like 2

If Diaz was still banging them in like he was at the beginning of the season, maybe a team like Everton would take a gamble at 15 million. The fact is he isn't at the moment so can't see anyone paying anywhere near that. If he comes good and gets another ten goals between now and the end of the season. It was worth the risk especially considering it isn't our money. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Those contracts are very much enforceable as things stand and are fairly commonplace. They don't literally prevent the player from being dropped, but they impose financial penalties if the player doesn't play a certain amount of games (I assume if the player is injured or otherwise suspended there is no penalty). I'm not sure on the ins and outs of real world penalty arrangements, I'd imagine they vary, but on FM (20 at least) there is an option for a monthly fee if the player plays, and another fee can be set for if the player doesn't play (on the game, clubs will almost always accept the same fee for both, but I think that's an oversight).

Loaner clubs don't attach those clauses where they can't play against the parent club anymore, because NO players are allowed, by the rules of the game, to play against their parent clubs anymore. This was introduced to prevent conflict of interest. Imagine if you borrowed a club's goalie, and he let in a couple of howlers against them, you'd be suspicious as hell.

Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at it through a small prism. I hadn't thought about financial penalties.

I should have thought more cynically on the parent club scenario too. In my mind a player would want to try his heart out and prove his worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I would expect a number of clubs were alerted to BBD around Xmas 2021, for obvious reasons, but his record in 2022, was less stratospheric, and his 90 min performances as clubs are considering whether to take the plunge, have been mediocre, against average Championship defences. 

He's not right at the moment, and it's difficult to judge whether that is physical (which is what it looks like), or mental, or both. 

Either way, in terms of making the prospect more attractive, his value to other clubs at the moment is akin to the perceived value of our half season tickets as we tearfully streamed out of Ewood after the PNE mauling....

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at it through a small prism. I hadn't thought about financial penalties.

I should have thought more cynically on the parent club scenario too. In my mind a player would want to try his heart out and prove his worth.

The worst thing in the world for a player is to know that he’s in the team every week irrespective of performance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

If Diaz was still banging them in like he was at the beginning of the season, maybe a team like Everton would take a gamble at 15 million. The fact is he isn't at the moment so can't see anyone paying anywhere near that. If he comes good and gets another ten goals between now and the end of the season. It was worth the risk especially considering it isn't our money. 

It will only prove worth the risk if we achieve promotion, even if BBD scores 30 more goals.

It's not 'our' money, but we are part of the club and care about its fate, which is inextricably tied to how much money is in the budget. So of course it matters to us. Never understood the 'it's not our money' argument.

• Like 1