BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

46 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Accepting the fact that Morton has made some individual errors that have proved costly (yesterday chief amongst them, it was right in front of my temp seat in the JW Upper & was suicidal), he's not alone in that.  Can I suggest to those criticising why we signed Morton that they listen to GB"s interview with the Assoc of Sporting Directors that is posted elsewhere on this forum?

It explains exactly why he was signed, which was to bridge the gap between experienced midfielders leaving at the end of last season & the likes of Wharton & Garrett coming through. He's 12 months ahead of both in his overa development & age, so a 12 month loan made sense given the budget & timescales GB & JDT had to work to, but next season will likely be founded on Wharton, Garrett, Travis& Buckley plus 1 other. To me that's rational, common sense, forward / succession planning which has been missing from this club for a decade.

Additionally, Morton himself has said on record that he wasn't expecting this many appearances, so it can hardly have been written into his deal that he gets them! The main reason for that has been the drop off-in form of Buckley & Travis, which proves that reliance on just your own (younger) players isn't always successful so loans are required to supplement that, like all other clubs at our level given the fact that established Prem clubs have about 40 senior players in their books at any one time

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory about penalties for lack of minutes, jobs for the boys, stats over eyes etc??

Edit: that post wasn't directed at you Exiled by the way, I realise on re-reading that it could've come across that way!!

By that logic, Lewis Travis is 5 years ahead of Morton in development. Morton has been a poor signing, and maybe Broughton should accept that like he did when he decided to let the "number one striker target" Hirst leave this window. It's quite reasonable to assume that Morton is the first name on the teamsheet to avoid financial penalties, but I guess it could just be due to poor judgement from JDT. 

• Like 2

morton was built up like another harvey elliot when he signed,it`s  turning out he`s not very good,thats why there are barbed comments,i don`t think he`s that much better than garrett or adam wharton,given the fact he`s supposed to be ahead of them in development it`s not acceptable,he`s not our player and he`s stopping the two of our players from gaining experience

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:
36 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Report about Ike Ugbo and us interested. Think there could be a good shout that he comes here. I know he’s know Edun well if that’s anything to go by…

3E0EEC1A-606B-4AD1-920F-4BADC3E26A95.png

One stat I picked up from this link was Dwight Gayle having scored1 goal in 21 leagues so far this season. IIRC he was being touted as a good transfer option by several people on here pre-season. Proof that every transfer is a risk ultimately....

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we chased for weeks last summer and got nowhere with it. 

I think we will sign better before the deadline closes

Big call 

I think we won’t.

Hope to be wrong and your optimism is well placed for once rather than blind naivety!

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

You know and I know the point being made 😉

Yeah I know lol.

It was reported at the time Obafemi didn't want to move up north.I still don't think it was a money thing as we were paying Gallagher more in wages than Obafemi was on at Swansea.The club also went as high as 24 per week to Lenihen and that's from his mouth.. 

Anyway hopefully we can bring in a forward before deadline 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Always nice to see a bit of balance.

Morton is clearly the current whipping boy when plenty of others in the team have regressed somewhat. Morton will have a good career but admittedly requires further development in decision making and physicality. 

Anyone suggesting he's League one standard at best I think will ultimately be proved wrong.

I am not really bothered what Morton becomes in the future. He is not good enough for Blackburn Rovers in the here and now. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Yeah I know lol.

It was reported at the time Obafemi didn't want to move up north.I still don't think it was a money thing as we were paying Gallagher more in wages than Obafemi was on at Swansea.The club also went as high as 24 per week to Lenihen and that's from his mouth.. 

Anyway hopefully we can bring in a forward before deadline 

Fair play to you islander 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Repectfully, I disagree.

CM is where you control games from. Our CM's are as weak as the proverbial.

42 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

I have to disagree CM manage the game. Our midfield AND defence spend so much time knocking back and forth that the opposition have time to set themselves up to defend. Our forwards are then trying to to beat two and three defenders at a time. The CM need to know when to support the defence, when to slow a game down and when to stretch and game. Take a look at yesterday Dack was constantly looking forward and was JRC, Buckley did try (crazy that he was pulled rather than Morton) but all the out balls went mostly to Morton who EVEN when there was no one around him knocked the ball back to the defence. Birmingham could then get two banks of four around our forwards. 

Fair enough. I absolutely agree that the CM's control and manage the games. I think we did that yesterday, our possession shows that, as does 8 eight shots on target. 

But ultimately, yesterday as an example, Brereton was given a chance to score and finish the game off, but didn't. He also missed a glorious opportunity against Bristol City last week which puts us 1 up. Gally whenever he had the ball yesterday just gave it away which is a recurring theme.

Broughton's point about needing 'game changers' is spot on. Our game changer last season and the first half of this season was Brereton. With his goals dried up, and we can't rely on Dack too much so soon, we need a striker or two who are in-form.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Report about Ike Ugbo and us interested. Think there could be a good shout that he comes here. I know he’s know Edun well if that’s anything to go by…

3E0EEC1A-606B-4AD1-920F-4BADC3E26A95.png

Wait, Brereton-Diaz is often "playing out of position"?

Tell me you don't want Blackburn Rovers without telling me you don't watch Blackburn Rovers. He gets bullied playing centrally.

• Like 2

May be alone in this, but I don’t rate Obafemi and don’t think he’s a good character from what’s been written about him. One or two things, fine, but he’s consistently got problems around him. Don’t think he’s invested enough to contribute when the chips are down.

I cannot imagine that anyone wants to be leaving business late in a window/near to deadline. I’ve done some of my best work at the wire but I usually have a lot of factors under my control and I’m not relying on inaction/underperformance from competitors, so we have our work cut out.

The more time I spend with this, the more apparent that the blame is squarely at boardroom level. With a proper corporate infrastructure and genuine custodians at the ownership level, we’d be much further along. I do personally believe that the footballing structure is one to stick with, both Broughton and Tomasson. Broughton’s job is a 5-year one and Tomasson probably 3-year. Major failures (relegation dogfight, probably) curtail both but probably little else, so long as progress is made. I think this season is one of growing pains and it’s disappointing viewing but I’m more accepting. I think I’m being generous, but I would say that the minimum standard is kicking the figurative and/or literal shit out of Burnley in March. Anything less on that day needs to be atoned for.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Morton was a decent signing for me, nothing against him, played a significant role in getting us into the top six. But we should be able to drop him when hes off form. Thats the issue for me.

It must be a financial penalty thing.

I have no idea if he's contracted to play games, if he is thats poor from our side, simple as that.

Morton is suffering a downturn in form, like 7/8 other players in the first team, nothing more than that for me.

The same happened last season at the same time and will continue to happen until we are able to bring in better players with more consistency. If the current crop could play at a high level all season they'd not be playing for Blackburn Rovers, they'd be playing at a higher level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

But there are big flaws in Broughton’s logic here. Bridging the gap by replacing experienced Championship midfielders with a player with a couple of token premier league appearances and the odd second string cup game seems pretty pointless to me. Morton may well be one year further in in his development than Garrett or Wharton, but that one year is pretty insignificant when they are all miles behind Rothwell, and that 12 months of odd cameos and bench warming isn’t going to replace the experience of a Bradley Johnson.

If we’d loaned Isaac Hayden, Hamza Choudhury, Jeff Hendrick, or even Callum Styles - like other teams in the Chanpionship have - the argument of short term experience works. There are loads of Tyler Morton’s (20 year old loanees with very little first team exposure) littered throughout the Championship, but very few are as integral to their parent teams plans. Compared to Hannibal at Birmingham - who played in the World Cup and is undeniably further along in his development - Morton is used far more often. Of course, 20 year olds are the cheaper option, which will no doubt have been more of a factor than all the stuff Broughton came out with in that podcast.

Any loan should be a short term fix, and loaning a 27 year old to play week in and week out rather than Morton and giving him 90 minutes most games would not block a pathway any more or less. This loan is benefitting Liverpool and Tyler Morton far more than it is Blackburn Rovers. He doesn’t deserve to be in the team on current form, and I couldn’t give a toss about his development. Might as well let our own players accelerate their development and learn from their mistakes.

I actually think Morton would start for most teams in this division, and don't think that overall he is as bad as is being made out.

Besides, we've tried the experienced route before with the likes of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Goodwillie, Guthrie, Wes Brown, Stokes, even Johnson himself) but they've hardly worked out as hoped, so if you're looking at a season-long bridge why not try someone fresh, young, with good pedigree who has something to prove to his parent club?

And if it was Wharton who had been making the mistakes Morton has, he'd hardly be getting an easier ride for it from the critics. Look at the criticism Vale is getting for example; if wharton comes into the team too soon & performs like Morton he'd be crucified on here and would hardly be greeted with, "at least he's one of our own". What would that do for his development??

Money is undoubtedly part of the reason behind it Morton over Choudary / Hendrick etc,, but Broughton has hardly been quiet about those limitations since he arrived has he?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gav said:

I have no idea if he's contracted to play games, if he is thats poor from our side, simple as that.

Morton is suffering a downturn in form, like 7/8 other players in the first team, nothing more than that for me.

The same happened last season at the same time and will continue to happen until we are able to bring in better players with more consistency. If the current crop could play at a high level all season they'd not be playing for Blackburn Rovers, they'd be playing at a higher level. 

Yeah whats weird is there are a lot of alternatives to Morton, four or five in the squad but he starts every week despite being very average for a long time (last time he was consistently good was back in October/early November I think) and recently turning into a bit of a liability.  

Agree thats no different to quite a few others. Difference is he has started 27 of 28 games I think. We know its feasible for loaning clubs to put stipulations in. Seems it must be happening to me.

• Like 4