BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Yes true. But Forest were massively underperforming before he took over, which I don't think anyone can say we are given the shambles we were on the summer and the position we're now.

Plus he did that using the loan market very heavily (which is frowned upon by many on here but is the reality of modern football) and, most importantly, under an owner that actually cares for the club & wanted success.

Spot the difference and let's not make GB & JDT scapegoats for the real problem.

I know what the problem is and hopefully everyone else does too but Tomasson and Broughton are complicit by talking about a three Summer transfer window project. That is where my objection is. This is football and there are more variables than any other business making it extremely difficult to make and plans. Unless you are a mega rich Premier League club then I believe it's too difficult to plan for the next few months never mind years.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I know what the problem is and hopefully everyone else does too but Tomasson and Broughton are complicit by talking about a three Summer transfer window project. That is where my objection is. This is football and there are more variables than any other business making it extremely difficult to make and plans. Unless you are a mega rich Premier League club then I believe it's too difficult to plan for the next few months never mind years.

I remember our squad in preseason when they came in and think 3 windows was a fairly optimistic statement tbh.

• Like 1

Obrien would be a bonkers signing. Best CM in the league in his day, or at least up there.

Cook would be a no from me. I think we’re pretty well stocked with decent CBs, the only one that would be worthwhile brining in would be VanHecke.

Any names for the striker? 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Spot the difference and let's not make GB & JDT scapegoats for the real problem.

Obviously there must be some money available as the recruitment team of which GB is a key component have been scurrying around failing to land their chosen targets. It's not been a case of "we're not even looking to add anyone because we've  no money."

Secondly, money was really badly spent In summer imo. £1.8m plus add ons for Szmodics to sit in the treatment room? £10k p.w. in wages for Hirst to never feature? Mola? God knows how much it's costing to loan Morton out. Won't be cheap if the estimates of £1m for HALF a season plus full wages for Sorba Thomas are correct which in itself doesn't strike me as particularly good value either.

So yeah, let's not let GB off the hook for not doing his job and revert back to the default position of automatically blaming everything on the owners. There's little doubt in my mind that if we were going down the DOF route we should have picked an actual experienced DOF rather than a recently out of work Academy Director but nevertheless you'd expect GB to have an actual working knowledge of the market and where there are gems to be unearthed and bargains to be found.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But Venkys have spent a decade decimating us & have undone everything Jack built, besides the academy. That being the case, and with the academy being a long term project by definition, then any return to growth has to have that as it's bedrock & therefore must be central to the longer term.

The club has to balance short term potential for promotion against long term regeneration, especially as an unfashionable club in a poor economic area with new sustainability rules coming in and with a hardcore fanbase of 8 or 9 thousand fans, half of whom wonder why they bother as it is. Yes show ambition this season & aim to go up, but don't risk the longer overall strategy of growing with firm foundations, which is what was written on the tin when GB& JDT arrived in the summer.

Here's hoping we can get some good deals over the line today. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But Venkys have spent a decade decimating us & have undone everything Jack built, besides the academy. That being the case, and with the academy being a long term project by definition, then any return to growth has to have that as it's bedrock & therefore must be central to the longer term.

The club has to balance short term potential for promotion against long term regeneration, especially as an unfashionable club in a poor economic area with new sustainability rules coming in and with a hardcore fanbase of 8 or 9 thousand fans, half of whom wonder why they bother as it is. Yes show ambition this season & aim to go up, but don't risk the longer overall strategy of growing with firm foundations, which is what was written on the tin when GB& JDT arrived in the summer.

Here's hoping we can get some good deals over the line today. 👍

The half that wonder why they bother will probably be long gone rather than waiting on the ‘jam tomorrow’ journey. Without them, and the thousands more that have been lost, the club will be on life support well before any destination is in sight 🙈

• Backroom

As others have said, if playoffs aren't the ambition this season then what are they asking the fans to pay significant money to watch? A developmental team? They can do that for much less with the U23's and U18's. 

It really is disgusting sometimes how they take what's left of the fanbase for granted, treating the fans' hard-earned money like it's essentially worthless - all whilst the lot of them get paid far more than they ever have or ever will deserve.

• Like 8