BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - Monday 8th May

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Preston's players won't have the same mentality as the fans. It will be immaterial to them that their result potentially affects us.

If Preston lose it will not be their fault that we have failed to qualify for the Play Offs.

We should not be going into today's game relying on others.

I'm quite resigned to the fact we've let it slip and need a miracle which as we know they never happen.

However i so badly don't want Mowbray in those play offs with a team that isn't even his. I don't hate old Tone but it's a real slap in the face after his last season here and lets be honest Sunderland fans are a bit annoying.

• Like 3

The scenario feels a lot more relaxed than if we'd beaten Luton and it was all in our hands. It may yet play into our hands and pile pressure on the others. 

We had to beat Millwall anyway, so that hasn't changed, I just feel we're more likely to beat them in this situation than the other. 

• Like 2

Not expecting anything today sadly, our luck is horrendous and we'd need far too much to go our way. I am however looking forward to next season IF the manager gets the backing he deserves.

I guess it's ended up similar to last season ultimately, but it doesn't feel quite as disappointing given its the first season in England for our manager, and he was badly let down in Jan.

Most importantly the players must learn from this. There's always mention of inexperience, well here we are, they've experienced what can go wrong, some of them numerous times now, learn from it and adapt.

I think (hope) JDT has now realised Adam should be the first name on the team sheet, surely he has?

• Like 2

I'd like to say enjoys this afternoon, people, but you and I both know that's the wrong word for these occasions ...

In 2001-02, we finished 7th ... we needed to beat Coventry by two clear goals to make the play-offs. We led one nil, but in the last 5 minutes, Magnus Hedman pulled off two " worldies " from Gazza's free kicks ( the only thing of note he did for us ) ... This left us on +11, and Norwich on +12. We'd scored 10 more goals than them ... 

Endure as best you can ... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm quite resigned to the fact we've let it slip and need a miracle which as we know they never happen.

However i so badly don't want Mowbray in those play offs with a team that isn't even his. I don't hate old Tone but it's a real slap in the face after his last season here and lets be honest Sunderland fans are a bit annoying.

Yes, that would be the final slap in the face.

It was clearly time for Mowbray to move on, but I think we’ve discovered the hard way that what we described as a “Mowbray death spiral” is actually a Rovers death spiral, (8 points from 10 games).

• Like 3

the problem is for rovers is that we can change from TM to JDT but sadly the owners remain. the squad is only as strong as itself and they seemingly cant score many. i see JDT ramping it up about Sam G, expect him to play today, hopefully he will get at least a goal after all his chat about him

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Yes, that would be the final slap in the face.

It was clearly time for Mowbray to move on, but I think we’ve discovered the hard way that what we described as a “Mowbray death spiral” is actually a Rovers death spiral, (8 points from 10 games).

I think that's mostly down to a team, squad like ours always needing

help in Jan and a bit of a booster which never materialises.  

Mowbray cocked that up badly last season, the suits cocked it up even worse this time and the ownership has been neglecting it ever since the parachute money was bled away.

They are the ones who need to learn as much as the team.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Neilbristol said:

the problem is for rovers is that we can change from TM to JDT but sadly the owners remain. the squad is only as strong as itself and they seemingly cant score many. i see JDT ramping it up about Sam G, expect him to play today, hopefully he will get at least a goal touch of the ball after all his chat about him

👌

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Anything can happen with this team but I feel Millwall will put them to the sword early on to make it a miserable afternoon 😕

Will be some character needed to come away from there with a win.  For me, Bradshaw could be the difference.  They have a goalscorer in form 

• Like 1

Prediction:

Swansea beat West Brom

Sunderland go behind to PNE and we take the lead....hopes are built up, as the in-play table has us 6th.....

Sunderland then go on to win with some late goals, and take 6th place (thankful for their 95th minute equaliser last weekend)

It hurts that just avoiding either the PNE (95th min own goal)  or Coventry (93rd minute keeper scoring) would have meant today would be in our own hands. If we'd avoided both, then the top 6 would already be confirmed!

EDIT: that last bit is wrong actually as Millwall and Coventry would still be able to finish above us. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 7

Can't see beyond us winning this game but still missing out due to a Sunderland win, followed by Sunderland beating Boro in the playoff final, securing a promotion for Mowbray and this board going into meltdown for 3 months debating whether it was the right decision to sack Tony.

If we don’t make the playoffs I’ll happily console myself in the fact we usually lose in that format.

I’ve seen us beaten by Chelsea, Swindon and Palace, all heartbreaking moments, nothing compares to the hurt of Palace away…..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I think that's mostly down to a team, squad like ours always needing

help in Jan and a bit of a booster which never materialises.  

Mowbray cocked that up badly last season, the suits cocked it up even worse this time and the ownership has been neglecting it ever since the parachute money was bled away.

They are the ones who need to learn as much as the team.

I agree that January’s fiasco has been a key factor.

However, I think the “project” / jam tomorrow mentality of the club also plays a part, and I don’t see that changing next season, no matter who the head coach is.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I'm happy with the way we are playing at the moment.

We have long since established an effective way of playing out from the back which no longer results in chances and goals for the opposition. This is a real success, and must be recognised. 

I am happy with the way we break the press, and create increasingly regular positive opportunities for our front 3.

It is stating the bleedin obvious to say we need to be able to create more clear chances, and score more goals, but this will come with one decent window, preferably this summer. 

I genuinely think we are not cemented in a play off place due to JDTs decision, starting at Bramall Lane, to bring more defenders on in the last 10 minutes in games where we are seemingly in control. 

This has led to a relatively solid back 4 suddenly being less confident of their positioning and planning, and this has resulted in confusion and last minute goals conceded.

It's that simple.

I know the lack of goals is the main reason for our spiral, but this substitution confusion has cost us at least 4 points.

I think Sunderland and West Brom will be nervous today, and there is a chance that if we win, we will be sixth. 

I'm happy with the JDT style, but the jury is out on whether he can learn from this season's mistakes, on and off the pitch, and keep us up there for the full 46 games next season. 

COYB ! !

• Like 2