BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - Monday 8th May

Going to this having splashed out prior to seeing us fall apart as we did last season.

No faith in a win to be honest, why would I when we have gone on such a long winless run, seldom even looking like scoring. And even if we do, I can't see the 2 other teams failing to win. So going down with little hope but hopefully I will witness a huge shock.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Going to this having splashed out prior to seeing us fall apart as we did last season.

No faith in a win to be honest, why would I when we have gone on such a long winless run, seldom even looking like scoring. And even if we do, I can't see the 2 other teams failing to win. So going down with little hope but hopefully I will witness a huge shock.

Similar to Peterborough in the play-offs not Derby. Or Cambridge staying up. Keep the faith.

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Similar to Peterborough in the play-offs not Derby. Or Cambridge staying up. Keep the faith.

Peterborough had 6 wins from their last 10 games.
Cambridge had 5 wins from their last 10 games.

Teams in form at the right time at the end of the season.

I fear we’ve far less chance than I’d have given either of those at the start of today.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

As long as there’s a chance, I’m enthusiastic about this game. I have to go to work, but I will be able to see the first half before I go. Hopefully, we are still in it at HT, and I can sneak a glimpse at ESPN+ occasionally. 

Anxious, but excited, nonetheless! 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

I don't have Sky so, arguably, I've no status in a debate like this.

But if I did pay Murdoch, I almost certainly wouldn’t pay him to watch tomorrow's game. Watching the game at the ground, I'd feel that my chanting all the chants and cheering the team on might ‐ just possibly! - make a difference. Chanting all the chants and cheering the team on from my settee would only serve to alienate my next-door neighbour for the discordant racket I'd make!

Comcast bought Sky nearly 5 years ago. owners of NBC in America 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Dead right. For the first time in a long time we are going into the last game with something to play for rather than some of the meaningless affairs we have had in recent times. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but surely every Rovers supporter has to be looking forward to tomorrow. Otherwise what's the point of being a supporter?

It’s barely registering that we have a game with me, because I just can’t see everything falling into place.

Had we got into to this position with a good run, I’m sure it would feel different.

Im totally relaxed with very low expectations, but I’d love to be pleasantly amazed.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, martonrover said:

It’s barely registering that we have a game with me, because I just can’t see everything falling into place.

Had we got into to this position with a good run, I’m sure it would feel different.

Im totally relaxed with very low expectations, but I’d love to be pleasantly amazed.

I was about to reply to @arbitrowithout practically the same reply. From where we were, and how we have shot ourselves in the foot, it just feels a huge anticlimax. 

I know that, across the three games, a couple of goals in our favour by 3.15 tomorrow would change all that. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

I agree, there should be more excitement for tomorrow but the recent weeks have been frustrating and to me the players haven’t shown enough to prove they really want it! JDT hasn’t really looked too bothered. The Preston and Coventry games were 2 games where we should have been more professional and seen the games out.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Prepare to be amazed 😃😃

Of course we can look back over the season and particularly recent weeks and ask what if but my wider point was that we are still in with a shout albeit an outside one. Who knows what will happen but it will be a nervous afternoon for the four clubs who have a chance. All we can do is control what we can and win. We are due a big slice of luck so let's hope we get our payback tomorrow.

• Like 5

Tomorrow's referee is Craig Pawson who is a Select Group One referee, on the International list and is very experienced. Every decision against Millwall will be met with hostility from their fans and he will need to be strong and not allow himself to be intimidated.

Hopefully we are discussing the football tomorrow and not him.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Prepare to be amazed 😃😃

Of course we can look back over the season and particularly recent weeks and ask what if but my wider point was that we are still in with a shout albeit an outside one. Who knows what will happen but it will be a nervous afternoon for the four clubs who have a chance. All we can do is control what we can and win. We are due a big slice of luck so let's hope we get our payback tomorrow.

I agree re - the luck, but you have to make your own, and we just don't threaten the opposition's goal enough.

It would make no sense for us to win that game tomorrow after such a wretched run.

I find it genuinely interesting that there are two trains of thought here going into the game, and really hope my gut feeling is wrong.

• Like 1

Whatever happens tomorrow the top 6 was blown way before with very poor way too casual efforts at the likes of Rotherham, Stoke and Brum.  Alongside the many sloppy extra time equalisers recently.

So not putting too much despondency on it if we get pumped tomorrow because the odds of a win are very against us, never mind the other results.

At least the season has stayed alive until the death which is something we've been pinning for for years whilst in the grip of midtable water treading being the only aim.

• Like 5

We've been a victim of our own 'success' this season - by being in/around the top 6 all season and then stuttering at the death, it feels like a failure.

Had we made a late run for it and been in tomorrow's situation, on the last day, we'd have been delighted.

Important to apply context; to be in with a chance of the play offs with a game to play represents a good season for us, particularly so in a transition season.

I think we'll win tomorrow, but it won't be enough. And to be completely honest, even if we made the top 6, Boro are going up this season.

As a final point, for anyone 'not arsed' about tomorrow's game...maybe you need to take up a new hobby. Days like tomorrow are exactly what football is about.

• Like 4

You could say the exact same about expectations last season though.

I suspect that next season will likely feel like a transitional one with our main goalscorer leaving for free, a reliance on begging and borrowing in the market and yet more kids breaking through.

If we fail to make the play offs having been in there for most of the season, I wouldn't consider it a success really, just like I didn't last season.

• Like 5

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You could say the exact same about expectations last season though.

I suspect that next season will likely feel like a transitional one with our main goalscorer leaving for free, a reliance on begging and borrowing in the market and yet more kids breaking through.

If we fail to make the play offs having been in there for most of the season, I wouldn't consider it a success really, just like I didn't last season.

Expectations last season ended around February, unless like me you realised we fecked it up in January.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Andy said:

As a final point, for anyone 'not arsed' about tomorrow's game...maybe you need to take up a new hobby. Days like tomorrow are exactly what football is about.

There’s a huge difference between “not arsed” and not at all hopeful.

If it was still in our own hands (klaxon) I would definitely be more nervous / excited.

Even just relying on one result would be grounds for a bit of hope.

As I stated before, it’s interesting that some supporters still feel genuinely  hopeful.

I really hope their instincts are correct.

• Like 2

I think Swansea will get at least a draw. While Sunderland Mowbray seems a lot more interested in his job then Rovers Mowbray was for at least his last 3 years with us, we all still know he is more than capable of a monumental collapse or an uninspired nothing performance. PNE can be really hard to beat when they want to be, and they are at home. There’s every chance it comes down to us and Millwall.

I know we’ve supposedly had loads of “must win” games lately, but this one actually is do or die. The last couple that were genuinely that (Leicester and Sheff Utd) were incredible performances and we’d have won both but for bad substitutions.

It’s definitely more hope than expectation, but I’m believing.

• Like 1

Weird feeling, as there is some excitement based on the fact that there is still a chance.

Then I remember the dismal run we have been on leading up to this and the golden opportunities we have thrown away. That's when the hope starts to fade.

We've had far too many meaningless final days, so the fact tomorrow has everything to play for is a big plus.

However, I can't help but feel disappointed at how we have got into this position from where we were. We should have been sat comfortably inside the play offs with all the chances we have had.

I can't console myself with "nobody expected us to be in this position" or "it's about next season". We have been in a good position for most of the season, credit to JDT and the players for that. Once in that position, we should have seen it through. It's not all on the manager though, as he was severely let down in January by those above him.

For once under this lot's reign, let's hope something big goes our way tomorrow. I'm not expecting us to do it, but there's always that small chance.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Weird feeling, as there is some excitement based on the fact that there is still a chance.

Then I remember the dismal run we have been on leading up to this and the golden opportunities we have thrown away. That's when the hope starts to fade.

We've had far too many meaningless final days, so the fact tomorrow has everything to play for is a big plus.

However, I can't help but feel disappointed at how we have got into this position from where we were. We should have been sat comfortably inside the play offs with all the chances we have had.

I can't console myself with "nobody expected us to be in this position" or "it's about next season". We have been in a good position for most of the season, credit to JDT and the players for that. Once in that position, we should have seen it through. It's not all on the manager though, as he was severely let down in January by those above him.

For once under this lot's reign, let's hope something big goes our way tomorrow. I'm not expecting us to do it, but there's always that small chance.

I heartily endorse this post. 

I’m just excited to still be in the playoff hunt. I’m hopeful enough to believe it possible, but realistic enough to not expect a great result. I am convinced the players & Tomasson will give their best. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I can't wait for this game and hopefully we win and get that playoff place. Even if we don't I think this season has been a success and enjoyable watching a new head coach starting his first season at this level, bringing good young players through, some good football at times and 2 very good cup runs. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not like BBD has done owt for months anyway. 

Bringing young good players is part of our footballing strategy and one that we excellence at doing. 

why are begging in the market? 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its deffo been a success this season with a new head coach in charge, new style of play and 2 very good cup runs. 

48 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think Swansea will get at least a draw. While Sunderland Mowbray seems a lot more interested in his job then Rovers Mowbray was for at least his last 3 years with us, we all still know he is more than capable of a monumental collapse or an uninspired nothing performance. PNE can be really hard to beat when they want to be, and they are at home. There’s every chance it comes down to us and Millwall.

I know we’ve supposedly had loads of “must win” games lately, but this one actually is do or die. The last couple that were genuinely that (Leicester and Sheff Utd) were incredible performances and we’d have won both but for bad substitutions.

It’s definitely more hope than expectation, but I’m believing.

I think both Swansea and PNE will at least get a draw against WBA and Sunderland. Down to us to get that win. An early goal from us would deffo help the Rovers players and fans 

• Like 1

For those that believe in the supernatural or physics my friends cousin believes she has powers to see the future 😂

I asked for the results of west brom, Rovers and Preston 

Millwall 1 - 2 Rovers 

Swansea 2 - 1 West brom 

Preston 1 - 1 Sunderland

I've already placed a bet on those exact scores so I can let her know she owes me money ha!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can't wait for this game and hopefully we win and get that playoff place. Even if we don't I think this season has been a success and enjoyable watching a new head coach starting his first season at this level, bringing good young players through, some good football at times and 2 very good cup runs. 

Its not like BBD has done owt for months anyway. 

Bringing young good players is part of our footballing strategy and one that we excellence at doing. 

why are begging in the market? 

I think its deffo been a success this season with a new head coach in charge, new style of play and 2 very good cup runs. 

I think both Swansea and PNE will at least get a draw against WBA and Sunderland. Down to us to get that win. An early goal from us would deffo help the Rovers players and fans 

Brereton is still our top scorer and no one else has stepped up just like last season when his goals when fit earnt us many points and when he was out (or this season out of form/preparing to leave) none of our other attackers stepped up with a reasonable goal threat.

We have never had a functioning, coherent strategy under Venkys.

Begging isn't to be taken literally, but we are seemingly dealing in frees and loans, and likely will have a team with a very low average age again, ergo more talk of development, transitions, projects, journeys, whatever business speak is chosen.

I wouldn't see a season in which we have been in the top 6 all season and then fell apart in the last quarter to fall out of contention to be successful, especially considering that we are supposed to be transitioning into a better side over time.

• Like 2