BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Walsall (h) - 8/8/23 - Carabao Cup R1

I think it's brilliant to seeing Rovers have an identity/playing style after years of Mowbray changing each week to combat opponents rather than making teams worry about us. There will be times where we play needless challenges but often those seemingly pointless passes are to keep the ball moving in order to open up space/shift players around the pitch. I'm a disciple of the Michels/Cruyff school so the way we play pleases me no end, seeing it implemented and taken on board by academy lads through to the first team is fantastic and something which should be celebrated.

I didn't think 15 years ago this would be an ambition that any would aspire to but we could genuinely be the next Brentford with this system of play and instilling an identity at all levels of the club. 

• Like 4

Some things that stood out to me last night.

Did Brittain think it was another friendly?
Fantastic pass from Wharton to Hedges to set up Ennis's goal.
Where the hell has Gilsenan come from, and can he do it against Championship teams?

Speaking of Ennis, it was nice to finally see a striker getting into good positions when the ball went forward. Haven't had that for a while. We need another couple of defenders, CB and LB. Really poor last night.

• Like 4

As I've said many times one of most important parts about winning these games (outside of the obvious - progression, prize money etc) is that it gives the likes of Barnes, Batty, Gilesenan, Garrett etc games against strong league 1 and league 2 opposition. Games like this are worth 10x those u21 games for their development.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Game starts 7-45pm. 2nd half starts 9.05pm after 5 mins extra time. Game finishes pretty much on 10pm after 9 minutes of extra time.

Anyone taking half an hour to get home from there, and many would take more, and you're home for 10-30pm.

Its a bit late for mid-week isn't? 

I know it wasn't a school week but regular Championship games and possibly FA Cup games will be.

And---suppose they'd equalised and we had penaltiy shoot-out? That's the rule in the League Cup isn't it?

But FA Cup is extra-time and pens isn't it?

Not sure of the rules but I am sure those responsible need to look at earlier kick-offs midweek or attendances will be way down.

You need a new watch 47er. The game finished at 9.45 - I was back in my car in Mill Hill at 9.55 and home in Penwortham by 10.20.

I thought the first half 5 minutes was if anything not enough. There were 4 goals, a short injury break for Gilsenan and some time wasting by Walsall. And the second half was 8 minutes, not 9 and that was with 3 goals and 9 substitutions.

Incidentally I see the clock was left running at the end of each half, which didn't used to be allowed. I assume that the rule has changed and that's for the better for me as everyone can see how long is left.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

didn't think 15 years ago this would be an ambition that any would aspire to but we could genuinely be the next Brentford with this system of play and instilling an identity at all levels of the club. 

The difference is in the ownership. We could be set up to do exactly what Brentford have done at the football level but Venkys will always find a way to stuff it up. I don't want to be a wet blanket, I want it to be as you describe but factoring in Venkys saves you grief down the track.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AspRover said:

La Masia, bizarrely. How he's ended up here I have no clue. As for whether he can do it in the championship I hope we get to find out soon!

His position should help his cause as we’re not exactly blessed with wide creative types. He needs to be on the bench at the expense of Batty for Saturday.

Pleasantly surprised with how well Walsall turned out. Some young ones thrown in for them too who'll give their manager a headache in the league now come Saturday. I still don't think Rovers got out of second gear though, and with a bit more huff and puff it could've been a much more comfortable scoreline. 

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

You need a new watch 47er. The game finished at 9.45

No, I need a new memory.2 nd half started earlier than I said. But that doesn't detract from my principle point. Penalties and you wouldn't have been home as early would you? 

Also depends how close to Ewood you park. Took me 20 mins to walk back to the car up and off Livesey Branch Rd and set off. And this is with a small crowd remember.

But if you don't think night games should start earlier then you don't, its just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

No, I need a new memory.2 nd half started earlier than I said. But that doesn't detract from my principle point. Penalties and you wouldn't have been home as early would you? 

Also depends how close to Ewood you park. Took me 20 mins to walk back to the car up and off Livesey Branch Rd and set off. And this is with a small crowd remember.

But if you don't think night games should start earlier then you don't, its just my opinion.

Well obviously not, but that wasn't my point.

Normally I bring a friend who is nearly blind and we park behind the Blackburn End. Very close, for him, but it means sitting round after the game. By the time we are let out and I've taken him home to Longton it's usually close to 11pm by the time I get home - probably be later this season.. Last night I reverted to the place in Mill Hill I've parked since the 70s, which is a 10 minute walk. The good news is that my friend had an operation on his eye yesterday so hopefully hindsight will improve a bit.

In truth it doesn't make a lot of difference to me what time the evening kick-offs are, being retired. I know it always used to be a rush to get to a night game after work and that is the balance that has to be found between those like you who don't want a late night and those that struggle to make it for 7.45 or 8.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Well obviously not, but that wasn't my point.

Normally I bring a friend who is nearly blind and we park behind the Blackburn End. Very close, for him, but it means sitting round after the game. By the time we are let out and I've taken him home to Longton it's usually close to 11pm by the time I get home - probably be later this season.. Last night I reverted to the place in Mill Hill I've parked since the 70s, which is a 10 minute walk. The good news is that my friend had an operation on his eye yesterday so hopefully hindsight will improve a bit.

In truth it doesn't make a lot of difference to me what time the evening kick-offs are, being retired. I know it always used to be a rush to get to a night game after work and that is the balance that has to be found between those like you who don't want a late night and those that struggle to make it for 7.45 or 8.

Hindsight is always 20/20 😁 (Sorry I couldn’t resist!)

🤞everything went well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

The difference is in the ownership. We could be set up to do exactly what Brentford have done at the football level but Venkys will always find a way to stuff it up. I don't want to be a wet blanket, I want it to be as you describe but factoring in Venkys saves you grief down the track.

They’re the “ added degree of difficulty “.

24 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We are ball number one in tonight's draw. This round is still regionalised and takes place around 10.15 on Sky following the Burtonv Leicester match. The games will be played w/c August 28th.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/august/09/carabao-cup-draw-to-take-place-tonight-/

There is a distinct advantage of being in the Northern Section.

Possible draws for Rovers against 5 rather mediocre Premier League clubs, 4 Championship Clubs, and 12 L1/L2 clubs with two Championship v L1 ties to be settled tonight.

Southern Section on paper is tougher including Chelsea and Spuds being rewarded for last season's endeavours by entering the draw at Round 2!  

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I was meaning more in the playing style and development model implemented by the coaching side of things, I totally agree that the ownership and corporate side will do their best to completely cock it up!

12 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Didnt watch last night, would people say Gilsenan is better than Markanday or Dolan? 

Very good offensively. Instant control two quick feet can see a pass. Not so good defensively as yet which was why Batty was exposed.

• Like 1