BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Carabao Cup 23/24

55 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

New ground for many. Relatively local. Opportunity to stand on a terrace. League 2 opposition so young players will get another chance. 

Top draw, no complaints.

It has terracing? Thought that wasn't allowed in the pro leagues.

If we were at home I'd agree it's a terrific draw. But away, with the young team we will likely put out...I can see us coming unstuck here, which would also of course be a bit embarrassing. I think psychologically it's very different for the youngsters to turn out in front of a hostile crowd at a cruddy little ground, probably a bog of a pitch, than playing in front of a supportive crowd at a proper stadium on a newly stitched pitch. Harrogate have started the season well too.

At the very least I expect it'll be a test for them. Could be character building. And I get that people want to go to a new ground. But personally, my consideration of whether it's a good draw is always down to if I think we'll progress, and I have a bit of a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing to worry about, but I don't think we'll thump them.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If we were at home I'd agree it's a terrific draw. But away, with the young team we will likely put out...I can see us coming unstuck here, which would also of course be a bit embarrassing. I think psychologically it's very different for the youngsters to turn out in front of a hostile crowd at a cruddy little ground, probably a bog of a pitch, than playing in front of a supportive crowd at a proper stadium on a newly stitched pitch. Harrogate have started the season well too.

At the very least I expect it'll be a test for them. Could be character building. And I get that people want to go to a new ground. But personally, my consideration of whether it's a good draw is always down to if I think we'll progress, and I have a bit of a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing to worry about, but I don't think we'll thump them.

2000ish seats, 3000ish terracing.

Ķ

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Terracing (old style that is, as safe standing is now allowed) is only banned in the top 2 divisions, so Epl and championship. League 1 and 2 is fine. From my understanding most of the ground is terracing at Harrogate.

I agree in part, but football is also about supporters. We've never played them before, it's close by, new ground, so it'll be a fun away day for our fans. Far better then some dreary tie like stoke at home or the like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

In that case I think that stand holds 700.

(My other half works in Harrogate)

I believe there's building work going on and Morecombe who play them the week before have only been given just over 400 tickets. Whether we get slightly more remains to be seen but its gonna be tough either way.

• Like 1

• Backroom

1875 membership purchased. Wasn't going to bother this season as I didn't think I'd need it. Don't want to run the risk of missing this one though especially with potentially only getting 400 tickets!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Jordan/Orville, went from never missing a game; cups, friendlies, abroad… to him and his lad supporting someone else 🤷‍♂️

I used to sit near him in the BBE - some wild tales of efforts to get to overseas friendlies. I have no idea how anyone can then just sack it off for another club.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Please to see that this messageboard is still going strong. With the upcoming match at Harrogate, thought now was the right time just to pop on to clear a few things up. 

In 2008 I suffered a stroke which lead to me missing several matches. I discharged myself from hospital to attend the FA Cup match up at Blyth Spartans (Jan 2009). This was a bit of an error which led to me spending another month in hospital. I was subsequently diagnosed with a rare blood disorder, which was the cause of the stroke. I now receive constant treatment for this, and this will continue for the rest of my life. It meant that I was unable to drive, and whilst I was able to attend some matches, it just wasn't the same. In Oct 2009 a had a son Daniel, however suffered a further, more serious stroke, in Jan 2010. Fortunately I was able to make a full recovery, however it did make me consider a lot of things. The enjoyment of going to footy with mates wasn't there, and it was difficult to attend games. I managed to get my son to a few Rovers games however it was far from easy. 

When my son was 3 he wanted to go to a another game, and as I grew up in Harrogate, and would often go to Town games when Rovers weren't playing, I thought it was a good idea to take him there. This was at a time when the crowd was around 300, and in comparison to a club like Darwen. They played in the National League North, and would normally finish around mid-table. Anyway, Daniel loved it, and we were well looked after and visits became more frequent. We bought our first season tickets in 2013, and I became more involved with their supporters club. I was enrolled on to the committee and as the crowds grew, I started arranging the supporters travel. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to climb the leagues and eventually end up in the EFL. 

I still keep in touch with lots of Rovers fans through Facebook, and look out for their results. Wish everyone here all the best, and hopefully some of you can get tickets. You'll get between 400-600.

Jordan (Orvil)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

I used to sit near him in the BBE - some wild tales of efforts to get to overseas friendlies. I have no idea how anyone can then just sack it off for another club.

I used to come over on the train with a young lad from Manchester who was a mad Rovers fan. He had the crest tattoo etc, he went everywhere. All his family were real City fans. We they got relegated to the old Div 3 and Rovers got promoted back to the Prem he packed Rovers in and became a City fan ! Maybe he knew something ?

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

He was quite poorly wasn't he?  Not sure if that played a part.

14 hours ago, SamTheShrew said:

Totally agree. I had on talkSPORT, trying to tolerate cundy and o’hara, but even they weren’t doing it. Dreadful show. Resorted to evening standard live feed 

Sorry but cundy and o'hara are entertaining listening.  Not quite as good as goldstein and cundy.