BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It definitely has. 

Everyone thinks everything was GBs fault and SW looks clean as a whistle.

In reality it's probably all SW.

Theoretically, Broughton was in charge of footballing operations as DOF and Waggott was or is primarily in charge of the Commercial side of the operation.

They've both stunk the place out.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Amidst all the cryptic nonsense, you said it in that way (it wasnt true) to cover all bases, knowing that if you said it then you could be called up on it if/when it turned out not to be true.

You really don't get it, do you.

I hear / get told some things, just like there are others on this MB who do, and where appropriate (without risk of either breaking confidences or compromising others) I will post if I think there is something in it.

If you think Broughton has been an active DOF since February and it's been 'business as usual' for him then I think you are totally deluded.

I don't give a feck what you think and if you don't like what I post then just put me on ignore.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Except here.

Same was said about Mowbray. "But who could we possibly replace him with?"

We replaced Mowbray with a manager who got exactly the same number of points in his first season - 69 - as Mowbray got in his last and then threw a tantrum the next season to the detriment of the club.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 11

What concerns me in all this is the effect it’ll have on the current managerial team. Make no mistake about it if Eustace decides to leave he will have suitors given he kept our heads above water last season. He may even have suitors now who are well aware of the circus that is Blackburn Rovers. We can’t afford to be looking for a new manager so soon after appointing the current one.

Just another day in the life of a Blackburn Rovers fan. Utter chaos and turmoil are never far away. I’m just considering wether supporting Rovers is worse than knocking nails through the back of your hand.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

For me this pretty much boils down to who has the ear of the owners and who has a hotline to them. I doubt whether Tomasson, Silvester or Broughton ever had any direct contact with the owners but Waggott and Suhail do - frequently. There is a lot of ruthless self preservation going on here and it reminds me of the days of Kean, Agnew and Anderson when the owners wouldn't listen to anyone else and the turmoil that followed was inevitable. The full should have started at the very too like any normal business - ask yourself why it wasn't.

Anderson sold Venky's a vision of low costs, free transfers and loan signings. It would not surprise me if he is still has the ear of the owners because it appears nothing has changed

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What concerns me in all this is the effect it’ll have on the current managerial team. Make no mistake about it if Eustace decides to leave he will have suitors given he kept our heads above water last season. He may even have suitors now who are well aware of the circus that is Blackburn Rovers. We can’t afford to be looking for a new manager so soon after appointing the current one.

Just another day in the life of a Blackburn Rovers fan. Utter chaos and turmoil are never far away. I’m just considering wether supporting Rovers is worse than knocking nails through the back of your hand.

Agreed, on all points. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He won't be leaving of his own accord. This is the biggest job he will ever have. Plus he is clearly Waggott's man.

Edited by Ewood Ace

I think it is abundantly obvious from his last interview that Broughton knew his days were numbered here and he was using the interview to make it clear what his views were.

His departure probably means the owners and their stooges have zero intention of following Broughton's recommendations and if they aren't going to do that when they've got £30 million+ sloshing around following sales then they never will.

"I have been told the Court case won't impact on our transfer business going into the summer"

"We already have clear plans of what we are trying to do"

"The way the club is structured is the decision making process always goes through the Board of Directors back to the owners"

"The board are completely clear on what my feelings are about what we need to do going forward"

"As I'm not a director of the club I am not able to sign transfers off, so they have to be present when that challenge is going to be hit. But you have to ask to make sure the Club gives you the absolute support to get the simple part of the transfer over the line"

"My recommendation to the board is there are four areas to invest in. First of all transfer fees, then wages, third to invest back into the academy and the infrastructure and don't try and blow it all at once" 

Park to one side your views on Broughton's capabilities and whether his business to date has been good enough. 

I cannot see any logical reason why he would not want us to reinvest and try to get better as a club. It would be the making of him if he somehow found a way to navigate this club to promotion or unearthed some more Szmodics'. He'd be on his way to a PL job one way or the other. 

There's certainly no reason on his side of the equation to support financial cutbacks, downsizing, and all the rest of it. We know that since he arrived he has put in place a considerable setup. He hasn't done that for the fun of it or because he wants to waste money. He's done it to try and get the club somewhere.

Now that might work or might not but on the other side of the equation we have Venkys and Waggott. The architects of our demise who it suits very much indeed to downsize, downscale, cut back and reduce. They'd love nothing more than a cornershop style operation if it was easier to handle and cost them less. Waggott's remit is heavily based on financial cuts and savings, so why would he want ambition, spending, growth?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Gestede as a token director of football would be a pathetic attempt at trying to appease the fans, and it wont work. 

I agree but sadly I think it will work

• Like 2

Waggott hangs in there like a cockroach after the nuclear fire.

That said, Broughton deserved the sack for Wahlstedt. The only real money we had to spend and his choice of keeper almost relegated us.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

It took Mowbray five seasons to achieve his highest Championship points tally and over several windows he was given healthy budgets. Tomasson did it in his first season with a paupers budget. And he bettered anything that Mowbray did in the FA and League cups. His 'tantrum'was because he was misled on several occasions.

No real comparison unless you are just being a contrarian.

Well said.

Anybody in that position lives or dies by the signings that they make. Decent recruiters ( for want of a better word ) I would expect to get 50% of their signing right. IE players who significantly improve the existing 11 or 16 that take to the field. A really good recruiter I would expect to get 75% of their signings right. Nobody gets every signing right. I thought Juan Veron would be a great signing for Utd back in the day but he was a flop. I also though David Bentley wouldn’t do much at Rovers, I got that wrong also.

Given the mistakes made and less than adequate signings made it’s really no surprise that Broughton has be given the Black Spot. Who replaces him I don’t know. If it’s true that we only have a handful of magic beans to spend I’d suggest Chaddy. At least he’d have a long list of guys we can’t afford to sign. Something to talk about in summer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Anderson sold Venky's a vision of low costs, free transfers and loan signings. It would not surprise me if he is still has the ear of the owners because it appears nothing has changed

Somebody has their ear for sure. I think Waggott and Suhail are so much in their comfort zones as illustrated by Waggott's ambition last season of avoiding relegation. They don't want too much expectation from anybody so insult our intelligence by coming out with ludicrous statements. To him and Suhail avoiding relegation will have been sold to the owners as meeting their targets. Very few people can breach the circle of trust between them two and the errant ones.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Gregg was part of the project which changed due to the owners being unable to fund the club.

JDT and Gregg went at the same time. Gregg just been gardening.

Is that just recently, or for his whole time at the Rovers ?

36 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He won't be leaving of his own accord. This is the biggest job he will ever have. Plus he is clearly Waggott's man.

What’s it like having super powers ? Being able to see into the future must be really useful. Or maybe not.

34 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It wouldn't surprise me  one week , after avoiding relegation the goalposts , have already moved .

Maybe just maybe the owners aren't happy , that we did avoid relegation .

Never say never !

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I suspect either Broughton is being sacked due to a poor transfer record or much more likely amidst all these cut backs and having grown sick of Venkys hes had enough.

Broughton is going because Waggott didn't rate him. As soon as JDT went, Broughton was on his way. 

Broughton has been sidelined/ignored since January  but Venky's don't like to 'sack' people so they just wait for a convenient time for them to leave - with a nice NDA of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

Waggott hangs in there like a cockroach after the nuclear fire.

That said, Broughton deserved the sack for Wahlstedt. The only real money we had to spend and his choice of keeper almost relegated us.

I think a lot of us expected more signings from the Scandinavian market that supposedly both JDT and GB should know well. But ultimately we could/can pay fees but can't compete with some of the contenters when it comes to wages. A decent goalkeeper shouldn't be too difficult to find, but Wahlstedt did come with a reasonable pedigree and was thrown into the thick of it sooner than anticipated as Pears got that unfortunate foot injury. 

11 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The Director of Football isn't 'Chief Scout'.

You'd also have been better citing Wilcox 

I'm trying very hard not to lose my temper here. Just to make it clear it wouldn't be him.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

You really don't get it, do you.

I hear / get told some things, just like there are others on this MB who do, and where appropriate (without risk of either breaking confidences or compromising others) I will post if I think there is something in it.

If you think Broughton has been an active DOF since February and it's been 'business as usual' for him then I think you are totally deluded.

I don't give a feck what you think and if you don't like what I post then just put me on ignore.

Exactly. He wasn't even an active DOF in January. McFad, Fleck and Eustace were Waggott signings

• Like 1

Anyone else not be surprised by a Damien Johnson promotion to DoF? Popular with fan base, knows the academy and first team inside out, will have a very good knowledge of PL2 players as well. I for one think he is very competent and I don’t think he’d be a bad shout at all.