BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Is this just the ‘general chat’ thread now? If so, can we make a Transfer one? Thanks 👍🏼

In fairness, I don’t think there’s a separate thread, it’s all amalgamated on that basis.

Anyone is more than welcome to create a separate one though, nothing stopping anyone….

4 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

So we have lost Travis and Hill and loaned in two young players with next to no experience. And we cant afford 500k so there is nothing going on?

Travis wanted out and Bournemouth recalled Hill. 

We signed young players from 2 PL clubs. Ajayi has played for Coventry this season in the Championship 

I'm sure there is plenty going on behind the scenes but very little is in the public domain

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some of us like to look at overall game, chances created, performance of the players, etc . Now I know you don't I won't discussed them with you. The end!

And for some of us, it was blatantly obvious 10 minutes into the second half how that game was starting to go. We started well, got tired, had no plan B, lost. The end.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 09.15.19.png

Edited by Hasta

2 hours ago, alex l said:

JPvH and Reed were loans, they pretty much had to leave. Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, BBD and King went as their contracts expired - another issue which has been discussed endlessly. Rhodes was desperate to leave and I believe we got 8m, so hardly peanuts. 

Acknowledge the point about the loans but i think if we had better support from the owners we could have signed them after their loans. Same for making bigger offers for Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, BBD and King. We could have made more efforts to keep them. I found 8m still low for Rhodes considering he was probably the deadliest striker outside the Premier League then. Did know he was desperate to leave.  

2 minutes ago, RoversSG said:

Acknowledge the point about the loans but i think if we had better support from the owners we could have signed them after their loans. Same for making bigger offers for Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, BBD and King. We could have made more efforts to keep them. I found 8m still low for Rhodes considering he was probably the deadliest striker outside the Premier League then. Did know he was desperate to leave.  

Not as desperate as Lambert was to sell him to reinvest as promised. That didn't go well, as some fully expected.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Rovers to listen to loan offers for 6 youngsters

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1212619190?-11198:839

I’ve always wondered why we don’t have agreements with league clubs where we can send 2 or 3 to one club at a certain level. Easier to settle, know someone in the squad and potentially play together at a higher level than u21s.

Stanley for example. I guess the reason for this is we need fee paying loans.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I’ve always wondered why we don’t have agreements with league clubs where we can send 2 or 3 to one club at a certain level. Easier to settle, know someone in the squad and potentially play together at a higher level than u21s.

Stanley for example. I guess the reason for this is we need fee paying loans.

Even Stockport or Salford, I think both have a bit of money (compared to Stanley) to pay more in terms of wages and loan fees.  Would also give Rovers better relations with these clubs if we ever did want to make a move for one of their players

Edit - Or Crewe - Are they not a team that tries to pass it about a bit? (if we wanted a team that doesn't just hoof it), and they definitely produce one or 2 players who Rovers would be/have been interested in.  Could be a good symbiotic relationship for both clubs

NB - I am thinking about the Batty's, Barnes' and Gilsenan's rather than players closer to the first team squad who would probably be better suited to a League 1 loan

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

No doubt or argument that some ex players have gone on to play and have some success (fleeting in most cases) at higher levels but there are some heavily rose tinted specs being worn too. 

Josh King for instance was a waste of a shirt 3 games out of 4.

I remembered how frightening his pace was for defenders though his finishing was from the Jason Roberts kind. There was a cup game (think against Chelsea or Liverpool) where i remembered he was the most dangerous player on the pitch.

36 minutes ago, RoversSG said:

I remembered how frightening his pace was for defenders though his finishing was from the Jason Roberts kind. There was a cup game (think against Chelsea or Liverpool) where i remembered he was the most dangerous player on the pitch.

He annihilated Stoke with his pace in 2015

King is one of the best strikers we had in the Championship, just unfortunate to be behind Gestede and Rhodes.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RoversSG said:

Back in the day Jason Roberts did a video for BBC football skills on how to convert a one-on-one. I couldnt think of anyone worse for missing them 🤣

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

King is one of the best strikers we had in the Championship, just unfortunate to be behind Gestede and Rhodes.

Really joey? Turned it on for the cameras in FA Cup I seem to recall, otherwise he was 'injured' or missing.

He was one of the worst players ever to pull on the shirt due to his attitude and his refusal to play towards the end of his time here...

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some of us like to look at overall game, chances created, performance of the players, etc . Now I know you don't I won't discussed them with you. The end!

The only thing that matters is results.

I want Rovers back in the PL ASAP - the rest is irrelevant bullsh1t.

Sadly, IMO, our club is in such a mess, and is riddled with incompetents from ownership through to management from top to bottom, that in my lifetime, the PL seems the impossible dream.

The happy clappers need to smell the coffee and get a grip on reality.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Kean

Orr   Ward   Greer   Caddis

Davenport

Feeney                               Gladwin

Brown      Stokes

Davenport is the odd one out for me. I thought he was a good player and wanted to see more of him in a Rovers shirt. So replace him with Goulon.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The only thing that matters are results.

I want Rovers back in the PL ASAP - the rest is irrelevant bullsh1t.

Sadly, IMO, our club is in such a mess, and is riddled with incompetents from ownership through to management from top to bottom, that in my lifetime, the PL seems the impossible dream.

The happy clappers need to smell the coffee and get a grip on reality.

I’d even settle for being competitive in the Championship, with a genuine ambition for promotion, and where the primary aim is to win matches.

Anyway, back on topic, wonder where Gregg is with his bag of lollipops today?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

Davenport is the odd one out for me. I thought he was a good player and wanted to see more of him in a Rovers shirt. So replace him with Goulon.

I always had the impression Davenport thought he was better than he was - record since Rovers would corroborate. Managed 25 appearances total in league 2 for Stockport and Morecambe....

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If he was behind Gestede and Rhodes he wasn't one of the best strikers we had.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rigger said:

If he was behind Gestede and Rhodes he wasn't one of the best strikers we had.

Those were the days where we played to our strengths. None of this throwing players forward with no end product and leaving us short at the back. Conway, cross, Goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Kean

Orr   Ward   Greer   Caddis

Davenport

Feeney                               Gladwin

Brown      Stokes

No place for Duffy or Murphy or Goodwillie???

We’ve had some whoppers over the last decade (or so)

• Like 1