BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

All those asking for a replacement for Wharton - where would they fit in? To me, we always play 3 in central mid. Szmodics has the attacking role nailed on, Moran is better in the centre as a back up. Holding is Tronstad and probably Garrett as back up. That leaves one role, which JRC was great in prior to his injury. We then gave Ayari backing up who apparently can play all 3 roles. 

Yes injuries will occur and have. But who would be dropped? Perhaps JRC to rwb/RB but then Brittain is out - and he had a great link up with JRC. Then there's also Buckley to return

As much as Wharton going is sad, replacing him isn't the priority to me - other positions are higher priority. The bigger issue is if we don't spend a reasonable (10m+) of what was brought in as that's what the model needs to be. It evidently won't be in this window but the purse strings must be loosened in the summer or there will be no defending the approach of the club. 

Edited by alex l

2 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

You understand he had a 5 year contract here right? Players hold all the power, if he didn't want to go... he wouldn't have gone.

Yep, hence him being pressured to leave. He was asked to leave before the end of last season.

Just now, alex l said:

All those asking for a replacement for Wharton - where would they fit in? To me, we always play 3 in central mid. Szmodics has the attacking role nailed on, Moran is better in the centre as a back up. Holding is Tronstad and probably Garrett as back up. That leaves one role, which JRC was great in prior to his injury. We then gave Ayari backing up who apparently can play all 3 roles. 

Yes injuries will occur and have. But who would be dropped? Perhaps JRC to rwb/RB but then Brittain is out - and he had a great link up with JRC. 

As much as Wharton going is sad, replacing him isn't the priority to me - other positions are higher priority. The bigger issue is if we don't spend a reasonable (10m+) of what was brought in as that's what the model needs to be. It evidently won't be in this window but the purse strings must be loosened in the summer or there will be no defending the approach of the club. 

They're shite.  I want us to use some of that cash to reinvest and improve the squad. The current bunch are doing nothing but sending us down

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

Without hyperbole, one of the most soul destroying days I've experienced as a rovers fan

Being of a certain vintage I can't quite stretch that far TheWeasel, but I hear you brother.

Unless Ewood is going into meltdown on Saturday I'll not going.

This sale was avoidable, sell Diaz, sell Rothwell, sell Leniham, don't let the Blackburn lad with Rovers in his blood leave you stupid ****s.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 9

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

@rigger who's the next academy grad to step up? We currently have Garrett, Tronstad, who's the next best academy player?

Atcheson. Similar level to Phillips in JDT’s first season imo. Probably Roy (Rory?) Finneran after that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

As close to saying “I don’t want to leave” as he could say in the circumstances 

IMG_4888.jpeg

If the club had a shred of ambition he’d be happily lining up for us for at least a couple more years, doing his absolute best to get us promoted.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The sad thing is he's young enough for this to be all he's ever known.

The great club we once were was before his time. 

Incorrect. Read his first interview for Palace and he references coming into the the club and being inspired by Samba, Santa Cruz, Ryan Nelsen.

We are a shadow of a team and players that good now and as long as we have these criminals in charge of our club, we will NEVER get back there.

Wake up people! This is the new normal. Selling once in a generation talent for peanuts in comparison to what he’ll be worth after only a handful of Premier League appearances. All for NONE of the money to be reinvested back into the playing squad and we’re now two home grown midfielders light and heading for League One either this season or next

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Being of a certain vintage I can't quite stretch that far TheWeasel, but I hear you brother.

Unless Ewood is going into meltdown on Saturday I'll not going.

This sale was avoidable, sell Diaz, sell Rothwell, sell Leniham, don't let the Blackburn lad with Rovers in his blood leave you stupid ****s.

Fuming is an understatement, not felt quite like this since the bold headed rat was around.

Certain people knew in advance we were going to have our cash cut off, yet didn't plan for it and instead looked at the squad before the end of last season and just started pencilling out names. And here we are.

Got a nice coach though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I don't disagree that they put a shift in, but that can't be the only qualifying criteria for our centre midfielders. Neither have pace. Neither can carry a ball. Neither are particularly creative. If we don't bring in at least two quality centre midfielders I'd not bet against us going down.  Crazy.  

A season in which we've seen: Buckley, Travis, Breo, Wharton and potentially Gallagher walk out the club  and brought in.. Trondstadt (Who I really rate) and a load of lightweight, cheap loans..  you're asking for trouble.  From a midfield of academy graduates that had an affinity with the club and fans in Travis, Bucko and Wharton to a midfield packed with lightweight, non-descript loanees- you're asking for trouble. What a dreadful strategy. 

Tronstad passes the ball forward more often than not. He's very constructive in his approach to the game. Garrett is young and learning on the job, but has a good left foot and looks comfortable in a more offensive role. We also have JRC who can slot in and be more attacking than Tronstad. Usually central midfielders don't rely too much on pace and neither Tronstad nor Garrett are directly slow and especially Tronstad covers a lot of ground.

Tronstad is probably behind only Szmodics in the 'race' for player of the season. 

Ayari didn't look too great at first glance so ideally I would like one more body in with Buckley coming back, although he's a bit of a wildcard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alex l said:

As much as Wharton going is sad, replacing him isn't the priority to me - other positions are higher priority. 

You’ll change your mind by 10 past 3 on Saturday when our centre backs are passing straight to the opposition, or as Garrett/Moran/Ayari gets dispossessed turning away from our goal 30 yards out.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, booth said:

Yep, hence him being pressured to leave. He was asked to leave before the end of last season.

Being pressured to leave would be illegal and the lad could have taken legal action against whoever pressured him to leave.

Truth is he was told a deal has been agreed and the club are happy for him to seek pastures new. No coercion, intimidation, threats or physical force. So no forcing him out at all.

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sheff wed cancel negotiations with mcguire and they`ve moved on to sign ian povedo from leeds,good luck with that,if he`s not injured then he`s overweight and unfit,a complete waste of time when he was here

If sheff weds have pulled out I hope Mcguire is checking skyscanner for cheap flights back. 

• Like 2

We dont need a body, we need a quality player. Weve lost a brilliant talent and also our captain who was a seasoned performer in teams near the top of the league and has since moved to 2nd in the league. Garrett is quite far away from being ready for regular football at this level. Energetic and aggressive but so limited, poor on the ball. Ayari is a number 10 who got sent back from Coventry, he doesnt play that position. JRC is our only fit RB.

Sick of this mentality of oh well x y and z can "do a job" there.

• Like 4

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

Without hyperbole, one of the most soul destroying days I've experienced as a rovers fan

This is up there with the day we sold Duff. Or that game vs Bolton (14/01/06) when Jansen returned as an away player.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont need a body, we need a quality player. Weve lost a brilliant talent and also our captain who was a seasoned performer in teams near the top of the league and has since moved to 2nd in the league. Garrett is quite far away from being ready for regular football at this level. Energetic and aggressive but so limited, poor on the ball. Ayari is a number 10 who got sent back from Coventry, he doesnt play that position. JRC is our only fit RB.

Sick of this mentality of oh well x y and z can "do a job" there.

According to Ayari he is a 6 or an 8,he said it in his interview upon joining and said that's where he had played in Sweden.

I'm not suggesting he should replace Wharton or is good enough to play that role for us but he came here to play in those positions,said as much in his interview and presumably he would have discussed with the club his role before signing, so the club along with Ayari are thinking he can fill in there