BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 27/9/23 Carabao Cup

There were 2,000 in there for Walsall, that is plenty to make opening a few toilets and a couple of the bars viable. It also provides a choice for supporters, you know the people that *are* a football club.

The fact the club is now attempting to cut costs for such piddling savings does not bode well. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Out of all our summer signings, why didn't we sign Telalovic on a loan with a view to buy? A bit of a risk to sign him permanently, but guessing he's not on daft wages.

Great result and a good draw. Was hoping for an easier fixture and at home, but with 5000 in attendance it might be better to beat Chelsea at their ground.

I wonder which ends they are closing and if the shed end looks okay empty on TV?

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I never heard my Dad swear, ever. The only time I heard my Mum swear I was in my early 20s.

I learnt what a twat was and much worse as a kid in the late 1950s in the primary school playground.

Nowts changed.

Good to have you back 😊

I never heard Abbey swear either..

34 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, Christina isn't just a PA for Steve, she also works for Mike Cheston and does a number of other roles at the club.  Like many who work at the club they seem to have a variety of roles that they fill.

Except for the fat leech, who doesn't appear to have any 'job' worth talking about, other than looking for ways to undermine the club.

41 minutes ago, pedrob2014 said:

I thought Hill looked good strong and powerful and good pace which we lack at the back.  I think S Wharton needs a complete break away from football for a period of time.

I really dont get whats happened with Scott. He was superb season before last but seems so off it these days. I cant think of a young established player having such a drop off in form except Jansen and obviously he had a serious head injury. I dont think Scott had a major injury? Anyone know of anything that moved him from being superb prospect to fourth choice so quickly?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Funny how opinions can vary so much, I thought Tronstad was excellent, my best players from last night in order of bestest were:

1.  Morgan

2.  Markanday

3.  Siggy / Tronstad 

The rest...

Tronstad massively helped shore us up, and in my opinion exactly what we have been missing recently.  I will be shocked if he isn't paired up with Travis on Sunday.  We need a proper CDM given the way we play and that is either Tronstad or Travis, Wharton is not a CDM.. he is a CM, he makes mistakes right now and needs protecting so he can play and develop.

The thing with Wharton is on the ball, he is our only player that can pick the ball up in deep positions without regularly losing it. Moving him either further forward or out of the side to me makes little sense. What needs to be tweaked is to get another player regularly as deep as him when we dont have the ball. Even if Wharton was a seasoned pro who had experience of picking up the right positions off the ball, he would struggle to do it alone. It could require a third midfielder but at the very least it needs Tomasson to reign in plans to have Travis so advanced, especially if we have 4 ahead.

I also think Rankin Costello might be needed. Brittain has put in some good crosses but he doesnt help to link the time by drifting into midfield (something Pereira at Leicester is the best in the division at doing) like Rankin Costello, giving us an extra body.

50 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would be tempted to go for the below if Leonard isn't fit. Extra body in midfield, look to out compete them. Fair enough no number 9 but the front three all scoring.... not carrying players who are not goal threats up top. Worth a go, can always bring a proper 9 on.

Wahlstadt

Brittain      Carter     Hyam    Pickering

Travis     Wharton    Garrett

Sigurdson    Szmodics    Moran

I did think that, but that has a front 3 of whom none are in their natural position. It involves putting in our main 3 attacking players at the cost of any balance even allowing for talk about fluidity etc. 

Leonard may be a doubt anyway, and to be honest is not himself a player that youd want regularly starting at this level. If we do stick in a third midfielder, then I would at least have Sigurdsson left and Moran right.

58 minutes ago, pedrob2014 said:

Telalovic wasn't the best last night but to be fair to him he did want the Penalty he tried to get the ball but Siggy was having none of it and took it JRC aslo wanted to take it but nobody was getting ball of Siggy

Markanday has to be ahead of Dolan tried to take players on and looked to play direct rather than Dolans 26 twirls and then pass ball back.

Tronstad looked far better last night won some great challenges and looked like he is taking on board what is being asked with some good forward passes rather than sideways and backwards like JDT criticised him for.

I thought Hill looked good strong and powerful and good pace which we lack at the back.  I think S Wharton needs a complete break away from football for a period of time.

Regarding the pen - to say that the lad really wanted to take it it was a poor pen. Any keeper guessing the right way would save that all day long. You’ve got to go higher. I suspect he won’t be taking the next one. How many is that we’ve missed recently ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I really dont get whats happened with Scott. He was superb season before last but seems so off it these days. I cant think of a young established player having such a drop off in form except Jansen and obviously he had a serious head injury. I dont think Scott had a major injury? Anyone know of anything that moved him from being superb prospect to fourth choice so quickly?

It's the move from a back 3 to a back 4.

It highlights his weaknesses - I suspect Van Hecke is the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

5 live ignored us too. Ours was the only game they didn't have a reporter at last night.

Don't blame 5 live. Their reporter wanted to sit in the Blackburn End but it wasn't available.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The underlying subject matter was the alleged swearing in the JW stand last night and then how kids can be exposed to this at school and not Abbey's vocabulary, but you would have to have read the thread to follow the thread.

In the 80's one of the first places as a kid you would hear foul language and see aggression and occasional violence was at a football match.

Any football match not just Ewood but park games and even school playing fields.

In 2023 the first place kids of any age will encounter any or all of the above is when they switch on their phones, log into their social media accounts on their laptops or access their digital games.

A few FFS's in the JW upper is the least of anybody's worries.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I though Etete was the stand out for them. Robinson played deeper and scored from range but Etete was a very good focal point, scored an excellent goal and caused in particular Wharton all sorts of problems. Was the opposite to Telalovic.

Sorry that’s who I meant not robinson. Just googled him and got the wrong lad 😅

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

Isn't the Shed end,  now the away end ?

Probably. I used it, as it is a part of the ground I knew, but that said, if the tickets are on sale or no return, Waggott will probably close it, based on the number we last took to Chelsea for a cup time.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's the move from a back 3 to a back 4.

It highlights his weaknesses - I suspect Van Hecke is the same.

Ah yeah you're right. He was great in that back three with Lenihan and JPVH.

Still I can't really see why he isn't good in a back four. He's got good all round attributes.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The underlying subject matter was the alleged swearing in the JW stand last night and then how kids can be exposed to this at school and not Abbey's vocabulary, but you would have to have read the thread to follow the thread.

He read it fine haha did baby Abbey..   he's got me sarcy trait

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

In the 80's one of the first places as a kid you would hear foul language and see aggression and occasional violence was at a football match.

Any football match not just Ewood but park games and even school playing fields.

In 2023 the first place kids of any age will encounter any or all of the above is when they switch on their phones, log into their social media accounts on their laptops or access their digital games.

A few FFS's in the JW upper is the least of anybody's worries.

My lad from 3 ( his 1st game was the barca one ) was weened in the blues bar and Blackburn End and had what happens at rovers stays at rovers drummed into him.

• Like 3

Scott was good in a back three and it decent in the air. As an actual footballer he is terrible but he is an older head and not bad back up for this level. I thought he had a much better second half but was really poor in the first. 

Semir was desperate to score last night but was just a yard or two off. Shows passion and was desperate to take the penalty which could've been the kick start he needed.

Tronstad was excellent and actually looked alot better moving the ball forward too. Moran brilliant and should've had a hat trick.

As for the draw,  I keep envisioning szmodics scoring at Stamford bridge. He loves an away goal.

• Like 3

From the very early signs, it looks like we may have upgraded on Diaz/Dack with Siggy/Moran. Both are very good players. It's a shame we weren't able to sign Siggy on a longer deal as he'll be in demand next summer with the way he's started here. 

If we can get Siggy, Ennis, Moran, Szmodics playing regularly as our front four then we will do well and score lots of goals. Markanday is also starting to look like a half decent player, which maybe isn't a surprise given he was very highly rated at Spurs. Got a way to go before he can start games though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

From the very early signs, it looks like we may have upgraded on Diaz/Dack with Siggy/Moran. Both are very good players. It's a shame we weren't able to sign Siggy on a longer deal as he'll be in demand next summer with the way he's started here. 

If we can get Siggy, Ennis, Moran, Szmodics playing regularly as our front four then we will do well and score lots of goals. Markanday is also starting to look like a half decent player, which maybe isn't a surprise given he was very highly rated at Spurs. Got a way to go before he can start games though. 

That is a hell of a statement so early on. Brereton got 14 goals and Dack got 4 goals just in the league, 17 and 8 in all competitions so 18 (25) between them last season.

To upgrade, they need more than that, and are currently on 1 league, 4 in all competitions. Big ask.

That front 4 relies not only on the impossible ie Ennis being fit on a regular basis but again, it might look good on paper but there is no balance because 2 of them want to play in the same position.

• Like 1