BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 5/11/23

10 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Tronstad was excellent again today. He's made a massive difference since coming into the side. He doesn't do anything outstanding but he smells danger well and always seem to be in the right place to pick up the loose balls. He's also very neat and tidy on the ball and rarely loses it. Really good signing. 

Water carrier but every team needs one. 

• Like 4

• Backroom

Thoughts on the coach home...

Really happy with the result, obviously. Could hardly believe it when we were 2-0 up after 15 minutes. Norwich fans were enraged after the second goal and spent the rest of the game chanting against the manager/board, as well as booing their own players. I'm sure that helped. 

Funny to hear Duffy booed by Rovers' fans every time he received the ball. Well deserved. 

Norwich utterly shocking defensively, no wonder they've conceded so many. With a proper striker on the pitch we could have scored five or six easily. 

Felt they could also have scored two or three with how open our defence was at times, but they had zero presence up front and repeatedly made poor decisions in the final third. 

Did not enjoy our attempts to pass it out from the back. Lost count of how many times we played ourselves into trouble doing this. A better team would have punished us. 

Wahlsted looked dodgy throughout to me. Didn't inspire confidence.

Hill was superb. Moran busy throughout. Szmodics a constant menace. Dolan made life difficult for them, just as he did last year. 

The situation leading to the sending off was borne from complacency, presumably due to being 3-0 up, but I wasn't convinced from where I was that it was a foul or a red. Wharton looked like he got the ball first to me, but I haven't seen a replay so could be wrong. 

Regardless, the sending off changed the game. For the first ten minutes after the sending off it was like our entire defence had been red carded, as Norwich were suddenly all over us. Fortunately they weren't able to score during that period and we were able to settle down after that and see the game out professionally. 

Overall another lovely trip to Carrow Road. If only we could play them there every week. 

• Like 7

I think Wharton was a red tbh, as much as I would like to say he was hard done by, last man and he took the player from behind, if he wasn’t going to get the ball I’d rather he just let the Norwich player through , after that we were under the cosh but defence coped well albeit a few nervy moments. A better tactician would have got Norwich wide and whipping balls on top of Leo , I’m really rooting for him to be good but he really needs to sort out his crossing as that just invites panic. Why oh why did we bin kaminski 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Water carrier but every team needs one. 

I think I'm on with own re: Tronstad.

All this mention of him being 'excellent', I just don't see anything more than as you say, a 'water carrier'. 

A slighly better version of Evans, IMO. And certainly no better than Travis at all.

He hardly got involved today, the games just seem to pass him by from what I see.

But what do I know, and who cares, cos we won 🙂

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

All this mention of him being 'excellent', I just don't see anything more than as you say, a 'water carrier'. 

A slighly better version of Evans, IMO. And certainly no better than Travis at all.

He hardly got involved today, the games just seem to pass him by from what I see.

Travis without the hassle. I like Lewis but he seems to want to have a fight with everyone - including the referee

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I think that undersells him a bit, to be honest.

He's keeps the ball moving; the link between defence and attack.
It's a simple, but vital, role - and one you miss when they're not there.

Pleased to see Semir score a hat trick today, he definitely knows where the goal is and deserves a match or two to show what he can do (rather than 10 minutes here and there).

Backing Leo to having a dominant game on Friday.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I think Wharton was a red tbh, as much as I would like to say he was hard done by, last man and he took the player from behind, if he wasn’t going to get the ball I’d rather he just let the Norwich player through , after that we were under the cosh but defence coped well albeit a few nervy moments. A better tactician would have got Norwich wide and whipping balls on top of Leo , I’m really rooting for him to be good but he really needs to sort out his crossing as that just invites panic. Why oh why did we bin kaminski 

Scott got the ball, but I agree on Kaminski. Stupid decision to let him go.

5 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Tronstad is a lot more disciplined than Travis but let's not take anything away from him, he was really good when he came on today and dug in.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I thought Tronstad overall did fine in his role. Initially he started further back, but he soon shifted a bit further forward as we realised Norwich did not pose a significant attacking threat. Not sure if it was JDT who made that call or if the players just felt comfortable enough to do so on their own. The vast majority of their chances in the first half came through self-inflicted mistakes on our end as opposed to anything they did. Second half was understandably back to sitting deeper as we fell back to defend the lead with ten men. 

Tronstad is very very tidy on the ball, passes it left and right with ease with both feet. Far far better on the ball than Travis and he is also in great form. He's been key to nearly all of our recent wins for me.

Travis can only pass with his right, has less range and awareness. Great battler and sh*thouse but that's about it.

• Backroom

Also sounded to me like Norwich fans were also booing Duffy at the ground, but it was hard to tell. Could definitely hear our lot giving him stick. Norwich fans may have been joining in considering the mutinous mood. 

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Tronstad was excellent again today. He's made a massive difference since coming into the side. He doesn't do anything outstanding but he smells danger well and always seem to be in the right place to pick up the loose balls. He's also very neat and tidy on the ball and rarely loses it. Really good signing. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that since he has come into the 11 we have won 4 from 5. 

Like you say he smells danger really well and keeps the ball ticking over nicely, short and simple. One thing I absolutely love about him is the intensity he closes people down on the edge of the box. It's something that posters on here have bemoaned for years about other players but he really throws himself at the ball, and I love it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Money, due to our "geopolitical" issues.

More of a reason was he wanted to leave. Had the chance to go to the top division. For anyone who suggests we should just reject all bids and keep him, not only does it mean an unhappy player but probably squad. Nobody would renew without a release clause if they thought the club would prevent them going up a division 

• Like 3