BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

12 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Stick out the reserves, league is more important. Especially some of our stalwarts/injury prone people like Sammy, Gallagher, Pickering, Tronstad shouldn't be risked IMO.

National TV audience watching and a place in the last 8 and one game from Wembley on offer

Great idea

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

National TV audience watching and a place in the last 8 and one game from Wembley on offer

Great idea

Couldnt care lesss about a TV audience, the only thing that matters is staying up. If we hadnt got in such a mess in the league fine but risking our league status for the impossible odds of winning the FA cup, no chance.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would rest McFadzean for this game and play Koumetio. Move Hyam to the middle of the back 3. Wouldn't play Chrisene at left centre with Wharton in the middle of the back. 

Plus I would play Garrett in place Buckley with him being a sub. 

Pickering starts at left back. 

So my team would be 

Pears

Koumetio Hyam Wharton

Brittain Tronstad Garrett Pickering 

Dolan Szmodics 

Gallagher 

Subs:- Wahlstedt McFadzean Chrisene Moran Buckley Telalovic Sigurdsson Glisenan Ayari 

That team would get absolutely mullered.  Your midfield would get overrun and outclassed and we know Brittain isn't up for a scrap - and the pressure on that defence with Koumetio, had to check my diary to see if it was April 1st!

41 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Stick out the reserves, league is more important. Especially some of our stalwarts/injury prone people like Sammy, Gallagher, Pickering, Tronstad shouldn't be risked IMO.

Of course the league is important but this is a huge, huge game for Rovers and a chance to give the fans an occasion to savour.  To 'surrender' before a ball is kicked would be a humiliation on national tv and a humiliation we might not recover from.  Even if we lose, the team and the fans need to take something from the game even if it's only a little restoration of pride.

Over 50 years ago, a Southern League club knocked the mighty Newcastle out of the FA Cup at Edgar Street following a sublime Ronnie Radford strike.  The FA Cup has a unique magic and Rovers need to give it their feckin all with the strongest available 11 and let's see what happens!

• Like 6

Yeah - also from a morale perspective if the best players are not allowed to play in the most anticipated game of the season I can see that being a big problem. Resting one or two knackered players we can get away with, but wholesale dropping the first team and playing kids in a game all the senior pros will be chomping at the bit to play is asking for disillusionment.

I think we will probably play close to our best side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Have you seen any potential timescale he'll be out for? Be a shame to lose him after he only just came back.

I'm sure Andy Bayes and Elliott Jackson will ask John Eustace at this afternoon press interview about Hedges. The reply I posted was what Eustace said post interview on Saturday

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

That team would get absolutely mullered.  Your midfield would get overrun and outclassed and we know Brittain isn't up for a scrap - and the pressure on that defence with Koumetio, had to check my diary to see if it was April 1st!

Go on then what would your team been? 11 names and Formation please Mercer. O'Riordan is cup-tied and I don't want to McFadzean or Buckley pick up injury that keeps them our of any league game. Catch 22 situation here

Newcastle play 4-3-3 and I feel that we can get at their back line with Gallagher, Szmodics and Dolan by turning their backline by balls down the side of their centre backs and full backs. Defensive we have to solid and smart defending. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Of course the league is important but this is a huge, huge game for Rovers and a chance to give the fans an occasion to savour.  To 'surrender' before a ball is kicked would be a humiliation on national tv and a humiliation we might not recover from.  Even if we lose, the team and the fans need to take something from the game even if it's only a little restoration of pride.

As you would have seen on Saturday that the players gave everything for the fans, club and Eustace. The team spirit is good, but I just don't want to see someone like Buckley or McFadzean pick up an injury that keep their out for a few games. We need to stay up but I also want to beat Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I've just been to Ewood and the excitement is building. There were quite a few buying tickets, the catering vans were delivering food and the tv cameras are setting up. 

Great to hear and lets hope for 15k Rovers fans on

• Like 1

Eustace at an early stage in his Rovers tenure with people forming an opinion of him could well go down in many peoples estimation if he doesnt respect this game properly and go with a strong side.

Koumetio is left footed so is a non starter on the right of a back 3. If McFadzean is not considered (although if he does play, his lack of pace could be embarassed) then I would go to a back 4 with O'Riordan cup tied. Garrett against players like Bruno would equally be a huge risk.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Eustace at an early stage in his Rovers tenure with people forming an opinion of him could well go down in many peoples estimation if he doesnt respect this game properly and go with a strong side.

Koumetio is left footed so is a non starter on the right of a back 3. If McFadzean is not considered (although if he does play, his lack of pace could be embarassed) then I would go to a back 4 with O'Riordan cup tied. Garrett against players like Bruno would equally be a huge risk.

If they want to keep 3 CBs, there is the possibility of moving Wharton central (If McFadzean doesn't play), Hyam right and Koumetio/Chrisene left (assuming Hedges is not fit and Pickering plays left back/wing back).  

Edited by KentExile

I dont see eustace giving his 11 the "freedom" to go an play. i predict we play like an away side on the counter and he rotates 3 or 4. Wouldnt blame him for doing it either. My guess 11 he might tinker to go with to rest players:

Warsheldt

wharton hyam koumetio
brittain  tronstsd garret  chrisene

dolan           szmodics  
             telalovic

That 11 is my guess of who he may rest/tinker with. be surprised if he starts both gally and smodics, or he may just go play 60 mins, if were losing your coming off for sat. 

Edited by ruggles1995

Sounds like we are playing our strongest team tomorrow. Be interesting to see how many of our players can compete against an upper mid-table Premier league team. With a bit of luck and a more competent structure we could have been playing these teams every week.

I watched the arsenal game and they can be beaten. However, we are not arsenal, so I'm going for a hard fought 1-2 loss. Our highest attendance this season of just under 21k may also be broken.

• Like 1

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

I dont see eustace giving his 11 the "freedom" to go an play. i predict we play like an away side on the counter and he rotates 3 or 4. Wouldnt blame him for doing it either. My guess 11 he might tinker to go with to rest players:

Warsheldt

oriordan hyam wharton 
brittain  tronstsd garret  chrisene

dolan           szmodics  
             telalovic

That 11 is my guess of who he may rest/tinker with. be surprised if he starts both gally and smodics, or he may just go play 60 mins, if were losing your coming off for sat. 

O'Riordan is cup tied

• Like 2

Pears

Hyam.  Wharton. Pickering

Brittain moran Buckley GarrettChrisene

Telalovic.  Dolan

Subs: wahlsted, Fadz, Billy the kid, Batty, duru, ayari, siggy, gilsenan, gally

I'd give szmodics the night off, I'd only give gally the 2nd half and hope we aren't out of it by then. 

39 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Pears

Hyam.  Wharton. Pickering

Brittain moran Buckley GarrettChrisene

Telalovic.  Dolan

Subs: wahlsted, Fadz, Billy the kid, Batty, duru, ayari, siggy, gilsenan, gally

I'd give szmodics the night off, I'd only give gally the 2nd half and hope we aren't out of it by then. 

Is batty back and fit for the bench? I hope to see him in our lineup soon