BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

Rovers gloves on for a chilly morning walk, Rovers shirt ready for the game. I’m all in.
This isn’t just a cup game for our players. It is a career game.  A chance to catch the eye.  A chance to make the headlines. A chance to become a legend. 

Those chances don’t happen very often. Yesterday has gone, tomorrow isn’t here. All we have is today.  Let’s do this Rovers.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Update;

Home Tickets sold so far (via the ticket map SVG);

Jack Walker - 7,273
BBE Lower - 4,630
Riverside - 2,540
Total - 14,443

Looking at a decent attendance, can also expect a good few to buy their tickets on the door.

Right now that's an attendance of 22000 which is great. Tickets can be bought up to 6.30 pm so I think there might be 23000 on. I know that Rovers have turned away a lot of people too, people who don't have a buying history but the suspicion is that most of them were Newcastle fans. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Update;

Home Tickets sold so far (via the ticket map SVG);

Jack Walker - 7,273
BBE Lower - 4,630
Riverside - 2,540
Total - 14,443

Looking at a decent attendance, can also expect a good few to buy their tickets on the door.

how many are Newcastle bringing?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Has Swag not copied the Mackems and decorated the Darwen End lounges in black and white? After all he is a geordie. 

Don't be daft. We don't do ground renovation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Right now that's an attendance of 22000 which is great. Tickets can be bought up to 6.30 pm so I think there might be 23000 on. I know that Rovers have turned away a lot of people too, people who don't have a buying history but the suspicion is that most of them were Newcastle fans. 

Yeah I looked on their forum and a few of them were yapping about buying tickets in the Home stands, there'll be a few scattered about no doubt!

7 minutes ago, sverrehh said:

how many are Newcastle bringing?

~7500, the whole Darwen End.

Edited by TheRevAshton

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have been told that in light of the West Brom v Wolves match there will be a zero tolerance approach by the police and stewards to any Geordie infiltrators. Ironic really as we have had one as our CEO for the last six years.

Thank god - I’ve emailed for three separate games now complaining about away fans in the home end and corporate section, glad someone’s finally doing something about it. 

• Like 3

I'll believe it when I see it. Assuming there are possibly 100s of Newcastle infiltrators spread around the ground it will require a big police and stewarding operation to weed them out and get them out of the ground. Will Waggott pay for that and are they up to the job anyway. My guess is nothing or very little will be done

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

As an American, I’m still somewhat shocked my English cousins cannot integrate crowds. We’ve never had to segregate based on fans support, home/away, etc. 

Have they always been segregated there? 

Not always, but it would cause absolute chaos if it wasn’t segregated. The segregation is also why we have something unusual to American sport - atmosphere. 

6 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

As an American, I’m still somewhat shocked my English cousins cannot integrate crowds. We’ve never had to segregate based on fans support, home/away, etc. 

I dont think its an english thing per se - fans dont integrate in football generally globally (Italy, Spain, Argentina, Germany etc). Rugby, cricket etc all integrate fine in the UK and abroad. Why that is? Not really sure... I would guess combination of being very popular and teams tending to be geographically very close to each other meaning very easy for huge numbers of away fans.

In US sports teams tend to be located very far away from each other. Rovers have 12 professional clubs within an hours drive...

14 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

You need to do some background reading on the hooligan problems in the 1970s and 1980s

Football is tribal here, and animosities run deep. 

Edited by jim mk2

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Not always, but it would cause absolute chaos if it wasn’t segregated. The segregation is also why we have something unusual to American sport - atmosphere. 

Bah, you ever been to a Texas/OU game? The Cotton Bowl is half Longhorns, half Sooners, with fans of each sprinkled in everywhere. Or Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins?! 

y’all don’t have a lock on “atmosphere”. As much as I love my adopted sport of English footie, it’s not the ultimate in passionate crowds. Every NFL stadium here, is bigger than every English ground, with the exception of maybe Wembley.

In fact, we have a good dozen or so college stadiums larger than EVERY ground in the UK- Texas, Michigan, A&M, Tennessee, Ohio St., Alabama, the Coliseum in Los Angeles., etc. College stadiums are much louder than NFL stadiums, too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Bah, you ever been to a Texas/OU game? The Cotton Bowl is half Longhorns, half Sooners, with fans of each sprinkled in everywhere. Or Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins?! 

y’all don’t have a lock on “atmosphere”. As much as I love my adopted sport of English footie, it’s not the ultimate in passionate crowds. Every NFL stadium here, is bigger than every English ground, with the exception of maybe Wembley.

In fact, we have a good dozen or so college stadiums larger than EVERY ground in the UK- Texas, Michigan, A&M, Tennessee, Ohio St., Alabama, the Coliseum in Los Angeles., etc. College stadiums are much louder than NFL stadiums, too. 

I used to produce all of the NFL coverage through DAZN in North America including the Super Bowl. Also did Boxing and Baseball, which I couldn’t for the life of me get into.

American Sports certainly gets the numbers, but in terms of atmosphere it’s completely different. It’s more aligned to an experience in the States, the atmosphere is generated through excitement and a social media culture of “I was there!” whereas sport in the UK - especially football - is very much based around tribalism and aggression. I do like the Tailgates, though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

I used to produce all of the NFL coverage through DAZN in North America including the Super Bowl. Also did Boxing and Baseball, which I couldn’t for the life of me get into.

American Sports certainly gets the numbers, but in terms of atmosphere it’s completely different. It’s more aligned to an experience in the States, the atmosphere is generated through excitement and a social media culture of “I was there!” whereas sport in the UK - especially football - is very much based around tribalism and aggression. I do like the Tailgates, though. 

Yeah I love American Football and have been to multiple NFL and College games (albeit perhaps not the stereotypical 'atmosphere stadiums'). But the atmosphere is miles away from proper football, it's all forced and artificial i.e. blasting music and speaker systems for the crowd to get loud for a 3rd down so it's just people screaming for 30 seconds. Give me a Football away end every day of the week. Large Stadium =/ Good Atmosphere. 

I see lots of other Sports doing this now....watched some Rugby recently and they were blasting out tunes between scrum resets. Cricket have done it for a while but at least that's a long and different format.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, J*B said:

Clearly a long time since you ventured to Ewood then...

I'll get me coat.

Just now, Old Codger said:

Clearly a long time since you ventured to Ewood then...

I'll get me coat.

Ewood admittedly has a very poor atmosphere, although that’s mostly (in my opinion) because of the way the club has been run and the knock on effects of targeted attacks on the most passionate of our fans along with misinformation to the majority of our fan base. Still, it’ll be much better tonight than most MLS games where any atmosphere is mostly engineered by “ultras” working alongside the clubs PA system. 

None of this is intended as a dig by the way. It’s just two totally different cultures. 

• Like 1

Yeah, we’re going to have to disagree on this. Rabid & disagreeable fans are everywhere, & everybody think their opponents fans are worse than their own. 

I wore my Rovers shirt all over London & Liverpool, nobody got aggressive with me. People behave differently inside old Trafford or Anfield on a Saturday than they do any other day of the week/ in fact, I’d hazard to guess many Rovers fans in this forum are close friends with those of burnley, Preston, ManC, Bolton, Liverpool, etc. 

9 minutes ago, superniko said:

Yeah I love American Football and have been to multiple NFL and College games (albeit perhaps not the stereotypical 'atmosphere stadiums'). But the atmosphere is miles away from proper football, it's all forced and artificial i.e. blasting music and speaker systems for the crowd to get loud for a 3rd down so it's just people screaming for 30 seconds. Give me a Football away end every day of the week. Large Stadium =/ Good Atmosphere. 

I see lots of other Sports doing this now....watched some Rugby recently and they were blasting out tunes between scrum resets. Cricket have done it for a while but at least that's a long and different format.

College games aren’t artificial…marching bands, cheers, students, etc. 

As a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan, I detest what jones has done to Cowboys gameday- it’s pretty much as you said, loud blaring music over speakers, etc. Cowboys stadium definitely lacks “atmosphere”. But, when the fans get loud, 90,000+, I don’t think anything in old Trafford or Anfield can top it.