BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

1 minute ago, aletheia said:

I’d hazard to guess many Rovers fans in this forum are close friends with those of burnley, Preston, ManC, Bolton, Liverpool, etc. 

Probably true, but you won't here it here 😄

Ha ha, fair enough! 

Even though my son graduated from Reading, he’s a Liverpool fan, through & through. he tolerates his old Blackburn Rovers dad, he knows we’re likely not to be any competition to his reds anytime soon. 

At least we can share our mutual love/admiration of King Kenny Dalglish, Harvey Elliott, et al. 

8 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I wore my Rovers shirt all over London & Liverpool, nobody got aggressive with me. 

London has a transient population who never stand still long enough to perceive anything much other than where the next gap in the traffic / queue is, and you could walk round painted blue and white and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Back to this evening. I've had to disappoint two ardent barcodes who wanted to go to the game with me, as I felt it might get awkward for all kinds of reasons regardless of the score if they were ensconced with me either in the JW Upper or Riverside. Sadly, even these days and in my 60s, I've still got one eye / ear open for the prospect of things kicking off, although I have certainly no appetite for wading in like I might have when I was in my teens and 20s.

I think we are going to get battered this evening, with perhaps a consolation goal to take away some of the pain. Oh of course I'll be delighted if we can somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat, but let's face it, this is probably the end of the line this year, for this group of players.

Bring on the barcodes.

Send on the chickens.

Gird your loins with Waggott Out banners

Shout out for Lancashire and all that might have been.

COYB! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aletheia said:

I’d hazard to guess many Rovers fans in this forum are close friends with those of burnley, Preston, ManC, Bolton, Liverpool, etc. 

Probably true, but you won't hear it here 😄

I had better come clean. My business partner is from the other side.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Bah, you ever been to a Texas/OU game? The Cotton Bowl is half Longhorns, half Sooners, with fans of each sprinkled in everywhere. Or Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins?! 

y’all don’t have a lock on “atmosphere”. As much as I love my adopted sport of English footie, it’s not the ultimate in passionate crowds. Every NFL stadium here, is bigger than every English ground, with the exception of maybe Wembley.

In fact, we have a good dozen or so college stadiums larger than EVERY ground in the UK- Texas, Michigan, A&M, Tennessee, Ohio St., Alabama, the Coliseum in Los Angeles., etc. College stadiums are much louder than NFL stadiums, too. 

Read the book Dirty Northern Bastards by Tim Marshall. It's been around for a few years so some of it is outdated now, but it is available in the USA.

It gives a decent insight into some of the songs/rivalries/atmosphere at football stadiums in the UK. The USA has none of what is written about.

Rovers do get a mention as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Right now that's an attendance of 22000 which is great. Tickets can be bought up to 6.30 pm so I think there might be 23000 on. I know that Rovers have turned away a lot of people too, people who don't have a buying history but the suspicion is that most of them were Newcastle fans. 

It is nice to see 20k+ plus in Ewood, however, some perspective called for.

If I recall correctly, we averaged 25k+ in 5 or 6 seasons when in PL with a highest average of 27k round about 94/95/96

Also, we had 42k on Ewood for the FA Cup match against City back in 1967 when the ground really rocked particularly when Big Jim Fryatt soared to head an equaliser for Rovers.

Biggest Ewood attendance since 1960 was 54k for a cup replay against Burnley in 1960 - unfortunately, my dad thought I was too young for that match.

How times have changed.

11 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

London has a transient population who never stand still long enough to perceive anything much other than where the next gap in the traffic / queue is, and you could walk round painted blue and white and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Back to this evening. I've had to disappoint two ardent barcodes who wanted to go to the game with me, as I felt it might get awkward for all kinds of reasons regardless of the score if they were ensconced with me either in the JW Upper or Riverside. Sadly, even these days and in my 60s, I've still got one eye / ear open for the prospect of things kicking off, although I have certainly no appetite for wading in like I might have when I was in my teens and 20s.

I think we are going to get battered this evening, with perhaps a consolation goal to take away some of the pain. Oh of course I'll be delighted if we can somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat, but let's face it, this is probably the end of the line this year, for this group of players.

Bring on the barcodes.

Send on the chickens.

Gird your loins with Waggott Out banners

Shout out for Lancashire and all that might have been.

COYB! 

Send in the Raos...

Don't bother they're here.....STILL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If I recall correctly, we averaged 25k+ in 5 or 6 seasons when in PL with a highest average of 27k round about 94/95/96

Also, we had 42k on Ewood for the FA Cup match against City back in 1967 when the ground really rocked particularly when Big Jim Fryatt soared to head an equaliser for Rovers.

Biggest Ewood attendance since 1960 was 54k for a cup replay against Burnley in 1960 - unfortunately, my dad thought I was too young for that match.

How times have changed.

15 March 1960

Dobing and McLeod in extra time.

In the first game, we came from 3 down to level it for the replay. The first was a dubious pen 😉

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

How times have changed.

City match was in 1969? I woz there

We're all celebrating a 20k plus crowd tonight but it seems a long way from the end of the 2011-12 season when I remember in particular for personal reasons an end of season game against lowly Charlton Athletic in front of about 27k.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

City match was in 1969? I woz there

We're all celebrating a 20k plus crowd tonight but it seems a long way from the end of the 2011-12 season when I remember in particular for personal reasons an end of season game against lowly Charlton Athletic in front of about 27k.

You are correct!

Some leeway called for when recalling events of some 55+ years ago!

The buzz around that match was amazing - the magic of the cup!

I seem to recall 'Big Mal' being interviewed on 'Sportsnight With Coleman' before the match was played saying words to the effect it would be all done and dusted by half time!  Like him or loathe him. 'Big Mal' was a personality and the likes of him, Shanks and Cloughie brought real colour to the game. 

Some great articles on our front page about today's game ...

The usual Delap's Derbies ... https://brfcs.com/magazine/articles/they-played-for-rovers-and-the-magpies/507

Old Programmes: https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/programme-passions-newcastle-united/505

and a look back at previous FA Cap ties between us and the Toon: https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/rovers-v-newcastle-the-fa-cup-history/506

Remember, BRFCS.com is more than just a forum ...

• Like 2

More evidence cheaper tickets work even when it's live on the BBC.

By the way in case it doesn't get mentioned on there x500 times per min Newcastle from their borough population of c8ook and 50k home crowds are bringing 7 thousandish.

Beware of the relentless todger waving in the away end and sycophantic drooling from the commentators.

COYB

Rovers  1    Toon 1  at the end of 95 mins...

Edited by tomphil

22 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I believe the crowd at Ewood (vs Oxford?) when Rovers went up from League 1 was 28,000. 

Many fans were chanting to the band-wagoners, “where were you when we were “sh!t” was clearly audible on TV. 

There was that chant but it was aimed at those who invaded the pitch twice. The majority of the invaders came from the Darwen End and were clearly not regulars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aletheia said:

15 March 1960

Dobing and McLeod in extra time.

In the first game, we came from 3 down to level it for the replay. The first was a dubious pen 😉

Nothing dubious about it. I was there!

• Like 1