BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

jim mk2

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No evidence of this being true whatsoever. In fact, all current evidence points to the exact opposite being true.

You could be right but it's all academic now. I would say our chances of beating Blackpool in the next match have increased. I think that's all the owners are concerned about right now - not getting relegated.

Don't think we would have got relegated under Appleton but the owners didn't want to take that risk. Perhaps if I was in charge we would have kept Appleton and gone down? Tough call to make.

• Backroom

You could be right but it's all academic now. I would say our chances of beating Blackpool in the next match have increased. I think that's all the owners are concerned about right now - not getting relegated.

Don't think we would have got relegated under Appleton but the owners didn't want to take that risk. Perhaps if I was in charge we would have kept Appleton and gone down? Tough call to make.

I am convinced Appleton was taking us into oblivion - this season or next. No manager at any respectable level of football would employ the type of tactics he attempted, over and over again. He wasn't in 'survival mode' as some have suggested, because that style of play was sending us one way and it wasn't up. We may not have the best squad in the division but I'm led to believe they are professional footballers and I'm positive they are able to do more than lump it up to the opposition centre-back.

The strange thing is, Appleton didn't start off like that. He and the team got progressively worse as each game occurred, and he never made any visible attempt to change the way we were playing. He didn't bark out orders from the touchline as I was expecting, he just did a frightening imitation of Steve Kean by standing there with his hands in his pockets staring sullenly at the ground.

Something may have gone on that none of us are privy to, but I'm absolutely sure that under Appleton we were destined to fail.

I am convinced Appleton was taking us into oblivion - this season or next. No manager at any respectable level of football would employ the type of tactics he attempted, over and over again. He wasn't in 'survival mode' as some have suggested, because that style of play was sending us one way and it wasn't up. We may not have the best squad in the division but I'm led to believe they are professional footballers and I'm positive they are able to do more than lump it up to the opposition centre-back.

The strange thing is, Appleton didn't start off like that. He and the team got progressively worse as each game occurred, and he never made any visible attempt to change the way we were playing. He didn't bark out orders from the touchline as I was expecting, he just did a frightening imitation of Steve Kean by standing there with his hands in his pockets staring sullenly at the ground.

Something may have gone on that none of us are privy to, but I'm absolutely sure that under Appleton we were destined to fail.

I have to agree absolutely with you there DE.

Appleton lacked the charisma and confidence in his ability to manage our players; many of whom are international players lets not forget. He could not get them to perform.

I have seen many young teachers struggle to get their classes motivated. Players like pupils need to have confidence in their manager/teacher otherwise standards drop alarmingly.

Bowyer seemed to have the ear of his players before and i hope so again.

We have 9 games left which will define the future of the club; its much more than a relegation battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Think we'll struggle to get to 50 points after watching that, it's 50-50 on us going down for me.

That's tragic in itself, but moreso for me as I was going to bung 50 quid on it at circa 100-1 earlier in the season.

Interesting that Millwall are only 3 points ahead of us yet pundits yesterday were saying they are totally safe, whilst we are still panicking about the possibility of relegation. Now I know that we have a very tough run in and who knows what the people running our club may do to mess it up, but surely we can limp to another 3 or 4 points at some stage and put ourselves safe.

• Backroom

I think we'll stay up but I think we would have done under Appleton, just hope we do it a bit more comfortably and not limp over the line at the last minute

With rovers you just never know but I'm backing us to get a win on Monday

We could do with Sheffield Wed- Barnsley being a draw today and Peterborough kicking Cardiff to death in a blood bath before losing 1-0. ' Boro beating Wolves away would be great also. We're on 47 points, I think we'll need another 6 to be safe. Bristol City appear to have one foot in the grave but all the others are making a fight of it. Our game with Sheffield Wed will be massive.

Interesting that Millwall are only 3 points ahead of us yet pundits yesterday were saying they are totally safe, whilst we are still panicking about the possibility of relegation. Now I know that we have a very tough run in and who knows what the people running our club may do to mess it up, but surely we can limp to another 3 or 4 points at some stage and put ourselves safe.

May need a few more than that.

Interestingly and worryingly The bottom of PL table on 26/03/2012 was as follows:

P W. D. L. F. A. Pts

Rovers. 30 7. 7. 16. 43 62 28

Bolton. 29. 8. 2. 19. 33.58. 26

QPR. 30. 6. 7. 17. 33 53. 25

Wigan. 30. 5. 10. 15. 27 55. 25

Wolves. 30. 5. 7. 18. 31 65 22

With 5 away from home of the 8 games remaining and some tough opposition to boot, it's starting to have a familiar feel.

IPads!!

More like 6 or 8 points from 8 games I would reckon. Considering we have taken 4 points from the last 8 it's a worry. Most of the other teams down there are picking up points now.

I know Singh made a mistake with Berg after Kean left and it might stir the sh1t on here but if we had done as Shebby Singh wanted and stuck with GB I feel relegation would not be a threat or even an issue. The murky appointment of Appleton by Shagnew screwed us over big time.

discuss....... :o

• Backroom

Most of us said that as well. In fact I distinctly remember saying when Appleton was appointed we might as well have stuck with Bowyer if that was the best we could do.

Also, where did Shebby say he wanted to stick with Bowyer? Did he not say he wanted to hire a manager on a 6 month contract and also say a new manager was going to be announced at the start of January? Seemed to me like Shebby didn't have a clue what he wanted.

• Moderation Lead

Most of us said that as well. In fact I distinctly remember saying when Appleton was appointed we might as well have stuck with Bowyer if that was the best we could do.

Also, where did Shebby say he wanted to stick with Bowyer? Did he not say he wanted to hire a manager on a 6 month contract and also say a new manager was going to be announced at the start of January? Seemed to me like Shebby didn't have a clue what he wanted.

I was under the impression that Bowyer was going to stick around until the end of the season, then Shagnew went and appointed Appleton, unbeknown to SS....

Archived