BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

jim mk2

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really are in the poop. 2 points off relegation with a tough run in.

The only consolation is that there are 9 points separating 8th and 22nd, and 5 points between 13th and 22nd. What a bonkers division!

Anyone could go down. We NEED to find a run of form but we could be looking at the highest points tally for relegation.

Said yesterday a point wasn't good enough but I wasn't too concerned

It looks a little worse now but still massively in our own hands

Trouble is our own hands look decidedly shakey.

Most of the teams below us are fighting like mad and in good form.

Face facts, there's every chance we're going down.

• Backroom

The problem is for half a dozen games now we haven't even looked remotely likely of winning

Yesterday was no exception we didn't ever look like winning the game

I'm not sure whether the players lack the heart or whether they simply don't care. For a good portion I'd suggest it was the latter, but for a few of them it's definitely the former. The team has been filled with a combination of losers, wasters and players who simply aren't good enough. Kean AND Appleton contributed to this, though obviously Kean holds the majority of the blame.

Only a few weeks ago we were talking about sneaking 6th (well, I wasn't, but others had more optimistic outlooks) ... now we're two points off relegation and I'm guessing still at the bottom of the form table. Going down this season would take Venky's incompetence to a whole new level.

• Backroom

Trouble is our own hands look decidedly shakey.

Most of the teams below us are fighting like mad and in good form.

Face facts, there's every chance we're going down.

When have I not faced the fact? I know there's every chance and our form is awful but for a day or two at least we are outside the drop zone and that's what matters, each and every game now is massive and the home games simply must win.

It's a shame for bowyer coming into this mess but we have to be better than yesterday

Remaining fixtures:-

Blackburn Rovers Fixtures

Cardiff V Blackburn Mon 1 Apr 15:00 Championship
Sheff Wed V Blackburn Sat 6 Apr 15:00 Championship
Blackburn V Derby Sat 13 Apr 15:00 Championship
Blackburn V Huddersfield Tue 16 Apr 19:45 Championship
Watford V Blackburn Sat 20 Apr 15:00 Championship
Millwall V Blackburn Tue 23 Apr 19:45 Championship
Blackburn V Crystal Palace Sat 27 Apr 15:00 May 2013
Birmingham V Blackburn Sat 4 May 12:45

I'd say we'll get a maximum of 4 points.

I hope I'm proved wrong, as 4 points or less puts us right in the relegation mixer. It's also significant that our next two games are away and therefore our next home game could see us in the bottom 3.

Bottom line is I don't think the players have got the balls for it.

The only consolation is that there are 9 points separating 8th and 22nd, and 5 points between 13th and 22nd. What a bonkers division!

Anyone could go down. We NEED to find a run of form but we could be looking at the highest points tally for relegation.

For that reason alone I don't think we'll go down.

Not sure why everyone has gone into Private Fraser mode because other teams have picked up a result today. Next week there's a good chance they wont.

I didn't think there was any lack of heart or commitment from the team yesterday either. At worst we were solid and fairly well organised

Hate to say this but I think we are gone.

Can anyone honestly see where the next win is coming from ?

We need a minimum of 6 points, possibly 7 or 8 the way others teams are successfully fighting.

Can only see us getting even worse, if that's possible, as the pressure is piled on.

• Moderation Lead

We need a minimum of 6 points, possibly 7 or 8 the way others teams are successfully fighting.

Can only see us getting even worse, if that's possible, as the pressure is piled on.

We haven't been in the bottom three at any point this season, and still aren't. 13th place is 3 points away, and we have a game in hand....

Fair enough we've been poor for a while, but the highlighted bit can only really be applied to Bristol City at this point.....

We are bottom of the last 6 form table with 2 pts

We have taken 6 pts from the last 8 games.

With 8 games to play we are in deep, deep kean, cannot see anything for us at Cardiff,

Sheff Weds next week crucial game, lose that we will probably be in bottom 3.

Oh dear, Oh dear what a sorry state we are in.

Been thinking this for quite a while now Mercerman. We're classic relegation material, don't score anywhere near enough goals and anyone, absolutely anyone can score against us. Blackpool could have had three or four yesterday.

Most of us said that as well. In fact I distinctly remember saying when Appleton was appointed we might as well have stuck with Bowyer if that was the best we could do.

Also, where did Shebby say he wanted to stick with Bowyer? Did he not say he wanted to hire a manager on a 6 month contract and also say a new manager was going to be announced at the start of January? Seemed to me like Shebby didn't have a clue what he wanted.

Sorry prob my mistake....best I can find is this article where SS suggests an intention to stick with GB till the end of January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20898430

2 points...

1. Why announce no new manager until after the transfer window shuts?

2. SS was dead right on the short contract suggestion. Could be a massive boost in his struggle for power. If we have to pay much out for Appleton then I'd imagine Shagnew wont be too popular down Pune way.

Been thinking this for quite a while now Mercerman. We're classic relegation material, don't score anywhere near enough goals and anyone, absolutely anyone can score against us. Blackpool could have had three or four yesterday.

?????

They rarely looked like troubling us until they scored.

One might suggest that is how it should be to keep supporter interest to the end. The Prem should take note.

?????

In fairness to Den Kean pulled off at least two top drawer saves whilst I can't recall their man making any. We had gilt edged chances alright but both times we failed abysmally. btw Jones must take a lot of responsibility for us chucking two points away for spooning over when he should have simply squared it to the unmarked Rhodes stood on the 6yd box in front of an empty goal.

?????

Games last 90 mins Rev. First half free header from a corner - should have scored. into second half injury time - another free header from 8 yards out and he heads it straight at Kean when he should have won the game for them.. Prior to that Ince almost scored when Kean palmed the ball upwards and it luckily went wide. For a spell rovers were all over the place.

For some reason I don't believe we will go down this season despite everything I've seen this season suggesting the opposite. Ultimately it will come down to the players on the pitch. Are they prepared to fight to stay in this League or are they not too bothered as many know they won't be here next season anyway. The performances of Williamson and Kane were encouraging yesterday and are the sort of players that we need to be looking at bringing in during the summer. We need players who are hungry and who will battle. Virtually every side I've seen in this division this season is made up of that type of player. The quality in the Championship is desperately poor.

Sadly, I think even if we survive this season we will simply be delaying the inevitable. Circus Venky seems intent on the total destruction of the club through their own stupidity and I see no signs that they have a clue what to do to try to improve things.

Agreed. It's the scoring (or lack of) that I'm worried about. We had two gilt edge chances yesterday and didn't look close to taking either.

We are bottom of the last 6 form table with 2 pts

We have taken 6 pts from the last 8 games.

With 8 games to play we are in deep, deep kean, cannot see anything for us at Cardiff,

Sheff Weds next week crucial game, lose that we will probably be in bottom 3.

Oh dear, Oh dear what a sorry state we are in.

That is why it was so important we sacked Appleton when we did imo. Despite the indignation of the press at another manager biting the dust after ten or so league games.

Having taken a look at the table you'd think that Ipswich on 49 and the teams above that on 50 or more should have enough points to limp home regardless of how they finish the season.

From memory there's then three teams including ourselves on 47 points two teams below that then the three teams currently occupying the relegation slots.

It's any three from those eight on 47 points or less imo. Quite ludicrous however to make statements Like "we're gone" at this stage imo although I think there would have been a very good chance of it had we persevered with Appleton.

One might suggest that is how it should be to keep supporter interest to the end. The Prem should take note.

After the last two seasons, I'll take a boring midtable one. Just for the rest!

Win on Monday against Cardiff and we're safe to all intents and purposes.

Another loss and a few wins for the teams below us and the table will start to look extremely hairy. If it isn't already.

A reasonable or good finish to the season and we would be well into the top half of the table.That's how tight the table is and the landscape will alter completely on a match by match basis until the end of the season.

Archived