• Billy Davies
    • Keith Hill
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Alan Irvine
    • Paul Jewell
    • Phil Parkinson
    • Uwe Rosler

Just had a quick scroll through the last 24 hours posts and I can't see where the assumption that Joyce will automatically get the job has come from. The only "evidence" is Mani's assertion that a package has been agreed, then again Mani insisted Moyes was interested in the role but that doesn't square up with the fact that Moyes has now apparently turned down Villa because they are a Championship outfit. Was interested in Rovers but not Villa. Hmmmmm...............

If however Joyce were to get the job, very poor appointment for me. Parson likened him to Howard Kendall, but there's no comparison between the two whatsoever. Kendall was only around 34 and had no previous coaching or managerial experience when he took us over but he was obviously one of those rare people who have what it takes to be a top top manager ight from the off. Joyce is 52 and if he had the attributes to be a manager he'd surely have done it long before now. We don't want a bloke having a mid life crisis seizing his one and only and last chance of managing a Club with us and the Burnley and Manchester United links do nothing to endear me to him either. If we were going down the give it an under 21 coach route 'd rather we gave it Damien Johnson. Not that he'd want it as I understand he's happy where he is but at least he is Rovers through and through, young, and his career is still on an upward curve.

If Warnock has indeed turned as down we need to consider revising our position or if it is irretrievable we need to approach Davies. Beyond that, not sure what to do.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to another poster those talks have already taken place???

Apologies - just gone back through the thread and seen Mani's earlier post. I would think he's correct and more up to date than I am.

Like Lambert then?

Great example because (if you believe the press) as soon as he realised he wouldn't have millions (or so is reported) he was off reputation intact.

Great example because (if you believe the press) as soon as he realised he wouldn't have millions (or so is reported) he was off reputation intact.

Surely more or less anyone out of a job would take the role if you paid them enough and foolishly allowed them to insert a get out clause into their contract allowing them to bail after a few months if things didn't go swimmingly from the off like we did with Lambert.

• Backroom

Blackburn Rovers is clearly still seen as a very good job because people outside of the Blackburn & Darwen bubble know nothing about whats gone on here over the past 6yrs, they think its just been bad luck and bad advice like Lambert did, but he was soon off when he realised.

Joyce probably can't believe his luck,

"this lot won the Premiership in 95 and league cup in 2002"

Its a dream job for a 3rd rate coach!

But an absolute nightmare for the fans.

Whilst valid points I can't help but think 3rd rate coach is being a little harsh

UNITEDS B TEAM = GLASS HALF FULL, FOR YOU?

FIRST REFUSAL ON THE PLAYERS UNITED DON'T WANT ?

We need to accept where we are.... and that is no where near Man united .... so yes at this time... Uniteds B team = A good championship side....First Refusal = for players that dont make the grade in the prem but are good potential championship players = yes

Whats your problem we dont compete with Man u these days... and wont until we are promoted, and are an estabilished prem side.

Joyce was interviewed yesterday. Package agreed. He's asked for certain things re whole set up of the club etc. Wants to build the club from top to bottom. If he gets the right answer, the deal is done!

FYI - tough, tough guy. No messing and certainly no puppet.

&, realistically, no manager

Just had a quick scroll through the last 24 hours posts and I can't see where the assumption that Joyce will automatically get the job has come from. The only "evidence" is Mani's assertion that a package has been agreed, then again Mani insisted Moyes was interested in the role but that doesn't square up with the fact that Moyes has now apparently turned down Villa because they are a Championship outfit. Was interested in Rovers but not Villa. Hmmmmm...............

If however Joyce were to get the job, very poor appointment for me. Parson likened him to Howard Kendall, but there's no comparison between the two whatsoever. Kendall was only around 34 and had no previous coaching or managerial experience when he took us over but he was obviously one of those rare people who have what it takes to be a top top manager ight from the off. Joyce is 52 and if he had the attributes to be a manager he'd surely have done it long before now. We don't want a bloke having a mid life crisis seizing his one and only and last chance of managing a Club with us and the Burnley and Manchester United links do nothing to endear me to him either. If we were going down the give it an under 21 coach route 'd rather we gave it Damien Johnson. Not that he'd want it as I understand he's happy where he is but at least he is Rovers through and through, young, and his career is still on an upward curve.

If Warnock has indeed turned as down we need to consider revising our position or if it is irretrievable we need to approach Davies. Beyond that, not sure what to do.

Actually Rev, Kendall was already making a reputation as player coach at Stoke when he left them to join us as player manager. To compare Kendall's appointment to the proposed move for Joyce really is a bit misleading. Kendall's reputation in the game was first class and by the time he arrived here he was already associated with - and had been a big factor in Stokes promotion back to the first division. With all due respect to Parson, you really can't compare absolutely "any" inexperienced youth team manager that were linked with, to Howard Kendall's appointment here.

If he's appointed its going to be a loooong hard season, the thick Muppets have probably looked at karanka at boro, real Madrid b team coach/assistant taken boro up, difference is he has money and works for a club run properly, I despair T these @#/?s I really do, never @#/? learn, love to line them all up including Cheston and shoot them. Still I bet chaddy is creaming his pants at this appointment!!!

We need to accept where we are.... and that is no where near Man united .... so yes at this time... Uniteds B team = A good championship side....First Refusal = for players that dont make the grade in the prem but are good potential championship players = yes

Whats your problem we dont compete with Man u these days... and wont until we are promoted, and are an estabilished prem side.

I cant comprehend that.

In your original post, you were advocating for Rovers to become a "Feeder club to Manchester United."

There's a huge difference between that and loaning a few players from them.

Feeder/ partnership = Reprehensive to any football fan, let alone one with a proud history in its own right.

• Moderation Lead

I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to believe anyone would be okay with us potentially appointing Warren Joyce....Absolutely baffling.

There isn't any justification for it in the slightest.

I cant comprehend that.

I can he's basically saying we were a well run prem club before these charlatans took over but never mind we are where we are now so @#/? it, its not venkys vault, we have to accept what we are and we will go cap in hand to those big wonderful people at man utd for castoffs and this nomark appointment will deliver us championsleague football in a few years cause he managed their amazing youth team

Whilst valid points I can't help but think 3rd rate coach is being a little harsh

Look at his record Tom, he's done nothing aside from being "Well respected at Utd" what does that mean? it means he's done nothing :rock:

He's got very little standing in the game, and I can guarantee that the only reason he's being talked about is because of Marcus Rashford, if he can produce 1 Marcus Rashford its job done for Venkys.

B0llox to promotion, b0llox to the future of the club, they're interested in bringing youth team players through and nothing more, they've told us this so many times in the past.

:angry2:

I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to believe anyone would be okay with us appointing Warren Joyce....Absolutely baffling.

There's plenty of them out there, one born every minute as they say.

• Backroom

I must admit, I find it incredibly hard to believe anyone would be okay with us potentially appointing Warren Joyce....Absolutely baffling.

There were people justifying appointing Steve Kean when we were still a Premier League club. For some, anybody will do.

Or more fairly;

According to your own post no-one trying to rebuild their reputation would take on the job without short-term investment.

Since Lambert did take the job on, he must have been led to believe there would be investment which did not materialise.

The same will happen to any other manager. Only the desperate should apply.

Look at his record Tom, he's done nothing aside from being "Well respected at Utd" what does that mean? it means he's done nothing :rock:

He's got very little standing in the game, and I can guarantee that the only reason he's being talked about is because of Marcus Rashford, if he can produce 1 Marcus Rashford its job done for Venkys.

B0llox to promotion, b0llox to the future of the club, they're interested in bringing youth team players through and nothing more, they've told us this so many times in the past.

:angry2:

"Well respected at UTD" should be no barometer. I give you.......... : Mr René Meulensteen and Brian Kidd"

Venkys gambles get more and more outrageous. They gambled on LAMBERT GAINING PROMOTION WITHIN 6 MONTHS. Now, THEYRE GAMBLING ON UNEARTHING A MULTI MILLION POUND PROSPECT.

Tells you all you need to know, when Paul Lambert said that Alan Irvine wouldn't be the next manager.

At most clubs at this level, the number 2 would surely be interested in the job, especially someone with Irvine's experience.

That remains very much to be seen. The longer it drags on without a resolution, the stronger a possibility Irvine becomes I'd have thought.

Given what Glenn M was discussing last night Im now more convinced than ever, that the choice of manager has nothing to do with football philosophy or even success. It is entirely about having someone who can be controlled and have the transfer policy dictated to them in order to generate income for the syndicate. Hence the succession of inexperienced novice managers. And why we now appear to be going down the same route.

I believe that they deviated from this policy with Lambert believing, even though he was experienced, that he would be pliable, having been out of work and his stock low after the Villa events. However, being a proper manager, he started communicating his squad plans, ambition and spending requirements to Venkys. This IMO made Venkys get cold feet, realising they had a manager who they wouldn't be able to dictate transfer policy to for their own/syndicates benefit. So they cut him off.

The only explanation IMO for Venkys continued ownership of Rovers, is that we are now a vehicle for speculative investment in players in the hope of hitting the jackpot. It explains the high turn over of players since Venkys/Syndicate took over, especially the recruitment of unheard of Portuguese players. Someone previously posted a figure for transfer fees earned, which was something like £30m+ (guessing the actual figure, so happy to be corrected). The question was where the hell did that money go, certainly not on reducing the £100m+ debt!.

It should also be pointed out that this syndicate Transfer policy can operate in any division, so success on the field isn't crucial. If we drop down the leagues they just have to reduce operating costs accordingly (sound familiar?) But players can till be bought cheaply and young players developed to be sold for profit in the hope of hitting the jackpot with a high fee sale.

A nice arrangement for Venkys and the syndicate to earn an income and In the meantime, the BOI overdraft keeps the Club ticking along and the debt growing with Venkys knowing they will never have to pay it back, because they can bankrupt the Club and walk away.

Can that theory be proved? At, the moment no. But Im more convinced than ever that this is the case and best explains Venkys continued ownership of a Football Club in turmoil and with no coherent plan to turn things around.

I didn't liken him to Kendall, I simply said that the experienced Iley failed whilst the inexperienced Kendall was a major success. The point being that every managerial appointment is a gamble and doesn't always work out as you might expect. It seems clear that the owners don't want to sell the club and don't want to spend much on transfer fees. Until someone can come up with an offer large enough to tempt them to sell we are where we are. If the aim is to work and develop younger players - either from within the club or from without - and bring in cheap or free signings to work with them then the manager will need to one who is well versed in coaching and developing that type of player. Whilst I admit that Joyce is a gamble it may well be one that pays off. One suspects that someone like Davies would become very frustrated by the lack of money in the same way that Lambert did.

Or more fairly;

According to your own post no-one trying to rebuild their reputation would take on the job without short-term investment.

Since Lambert did take the job on, he must have been led to believe there would be investment which did not materialise.

The same will happen to any other manager. Only the desperate should apply.

Or he thought there was nothing to be lost having a well paid quick stab at getting us into the play offs with the security of the get out clause if it didn't happen.

He's meant to be highly-rated though, at getting Antonio Valencia back to full fitness.

I agree, I must have read 10,000 posts over the past 5 years calling for an experienced manager. There's a reason for that.

Archived