BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

32 minutes ago, 47er said:

if we keep Nyambe the defence next season could be 

Nyambe       Carter       Macgloire   and that new Guy from Crewe (whose name I've forgotten)

With Kaminsky behind them, there is something solid to build on.

Given that Travis would start in the middle, hopefully alongside Davenport, there's a really good young side merging there----hopefully skilled and hungry. We'll have to replace Armstrong of course------McBride?

There's also Rankin-Costello/Pike if Nyambe goes. And Dolan  to throw in.

I could be proud of a line-up like that but not with Mowbray coaching the life out of them.

Carter and Magloire are not ready to become a Championship partnership anytime soon. Both looked nowhere near during their very limited games, it sounds like they have done well in other leagues on loan and regular game time will do them good but we need a more ready made central defender alongside Lenihan. Maybe there is scope for one of them to be 4th/5th choice but they are very early into their apprenticeships elsewhere.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Carter and Magloire are not ready to become a Championship partnership anytime soon. Both looked nowhere near during their very limited games, it sounds like they have done well in other leagues on loan and regular game time will do them good but we need a more ready made central defender alongside Lenihan. Maybe there is scope for one of them to be 4th/5th choice but they are very early into their apprenticeships elsewhere.

scott wharton ?

play to your strengths and let the opposition worry about us,not the other way round,you`ve got 5 or 6 lads with the speed of a greyhound,utilise it and get away from trying to pass other sides off the park,it`s not working,has never worked and just leads to us losing the ball and getting pressurised in defence,**** me if i can see whats going on surely you can tony

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoda's brother said:

scott wharton ?

Sorry, I forgot him. Clearly he would start before Carter. For those who say we'd get mauled, we're already getting mauled--1 point out of 18! 

Players with some long affiliation with the club might bring some heart into the squad.

Really, I'm only pointing out that the sole bright spot in this sad saga is the calibre of the young players we are turning out.

Great decision to slash the Academy!

When they have come in, generally they have impressed.

If we started next season with Lenihan, Wharton, Magloire and Carter as the four centre-backs, with Ayala able to appear every now and then, would we be better or worse than at the start of this season? Branthwaite isn't ready but he's playing every game.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4

has anyone noticed that venus and mowbray don`t actually communicate with each other during games,when tony takes his nap in the stand at some games it`s venus giving orders but when tony is on the touchline it`s venus asleep in his seat,lowe and the clipboard wielding benson just seem to be there to make the tea at half time,i wonder if they really don`t like each other,it`s well known they have completely contrasting views on how the game should be played,it`s a strange way to run a team

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 47er said:

Sorry, I forgot him. Clearly he would start before Carter. For those who say we'd get mauled, we're already getting mauled--1 point out of 18! 

Players with some long affiliation with the club might bring some heart into the squad.

Really, I'm only pointing out that the sole bright spot in this sad saga is the calibre of the young players we are turning out.

Great decision to slash the Academy!

When they have come in, generally they have impressed.

If we started next season with Lenihan, Wharton, Magloire and Carter as the four centre-backs, with Ayala able to appear every now and then, would we be better or worse than at the start of this season? Branthwaite isn't ready but he's playing every game.

We're not getting mauled at the moment, we're just shite.

But half of our problem at the moment is it's a relatively young squad and has little know how, whether that's from the manager or their own experiences of how to tackle games. It's partly why we keep losing by the odd goal. 

I appreciate the notion about the young players, Wharton surprised me with how he played (after a dodgy substitute appearance against Watford), but Carter looked well out of his depth at the end of last season. JRC jury still out, Dolan burst onto the scene but largely ineffective since his goal against Preston, though would have liked to have seen him get a start again at some point. Magloire had one good friendly appearance.

We need a core of better experienced players than we have to help the young ones on, that's the big thing that needs to change in the summer (asides from the manager at the very latest)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How about Lenihan with Wharton with Ayala, Carter and Maglorie in reserve 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

We're not getting mauled at the moment, we're just shite.

But half of our problem at the moment is it's a relatively young squad and has little know how, whether that's from the manager or their own experiences of how to tackle games. It's partly why we keep losing by the odd goal. 

I appreciate the notion about the young players, Wharton surprised me with how he played (after a dodgy substitute appearance against Watford), but Carter looked well out of his depth at the end of last season. JRC jury still out, Dolan burst onto the scene but largely ineffective since his goal against Preston, though would have liked to have seen him get a start again at some point. Magloire had one good friendly appearance.

We need a core of better experienced players than we have to help the young ones on, that's the big thing that needs to change in the summer (asides from the manager at the very latest)

Magloire is playing well for Motherwell though. Its hard to make the comparison but I imagine, apart from Rangers and Celtic,  that League is somewhere between Championship and League 1.

But you've said it yourself, Wharton surprised by how well he played when he got the chance. And he was loaned to lower league clubs wasn't he? You can't take the opportunity if you are not given it. Branthwaite is 18 and playing like it!.

There would still be plenty of players with experience--Lenihan,Dack, Rothwell,Kaminski, Travis, Holtby.

On another point, don't be conned by this "losing by the odd goal" bit. If you are 3-1 down and you score a 2nd in the 90th minute, the scores are close but the game wasn't. And we've had plenty lately where the narrow margin flattered us.

Anyway, perhaps we can agree that a better manager would handle these kids better than Mowbray could. It seems to me our young players only make their debut when there's no choice left.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We've signed Ayala permanently so he'll always be in the frame. But his injury record shows he will rarely be in the team.

A very poor signing. Other than that you're saying what I'm saying and I agree with you!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No, we need at least one more senior centre back, if not two. Ayala is a waste of space and Wharton will be injured into next season based on the reports when it happened. We cant just expect 2 kids to fill the void. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No, we need at least one more senior centre back, if not two. Ayala is a waste of space and Wharton will be injured into next season based on the reports when it happened. We cant just expect 2 kids to fill the void. 

I rather use them then keep signing players. Use our academy players 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We've already got 3 teenagers starting games and they aren't even our's! What's the use of it!

22 is not a kid. You should be ready for first team football at that age or even earlier.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

We've already got 3 teenagers starting games and they aren't even our's! What's the use of it!

22 is not a kid. You should be ready for first team football at that age or even earlier.

On the flip side, Jamie Vardy was 25 when he made his football league debut and he's not done too badly.

Didn't realise his first ever football league goal was at Ewood Park as well.

38 minutes ago, rigger said:

Is he still being paid by the Rovers ? If he is, he is still our player. 

He's been paid by Rovers since last year but to all practical intents hasn't been our player since we tried selling him off and it didn't happen.

I've heard that he's off abroad in the summer and the deal is already in place. No way his next employers are going to allow him to get injured playing for us before then.

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

On the flip side, Jamie Vardy was 25 when he made his football league debut and he's not done too badly.

Didn't realise his first ever football league goal was at Ewood Park as well.

He's unusual though eh?

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

has anyone noticed that venus and mowbray don`t actually communicate with each other during games,when tony takes his nap in the stand at some games it`s venus giving orders but when tony is on the touchline it`s venus asleep in his seat,lowe and the clipboard wielding benson just seem to be there to make the tea at half time,i wonder if they really don`t like each other,it`s well known they have completely contrasting views on how the game should be played,it`s a strange way to run a team

They're communicating by telepathy. I thought everybody knew that to receive a message you have to close your eyes.

On a serious note that quote is so Mowbray. " Let's have a new way of playing because I fancy it " .  Not " What system will suit the players , can this lot play a passing game, or are they more suited to a more direct style of football ? "

The first rule of coaching is to play in a way that suits the players you have,  not the ones you'd like to have. Either that or sign players that will fit the system you would like to play.

Mowbray hasn't done either.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Magloire is playing well for Motherwell though. Its hard to make the comparison but I imagine, apart from Rangers and Celtic,  that League is somewhere between Championship and League 1.

I would pitch it as around League 1 standard (old firm apart). Craig Conway is comfortably getting a game every week, and indeed helped to lift silverware at the weekend. That said, Magloire is playing well for 'Well at the moment, and he will hopefully benefit in the way that Wharton did during his loan spells.

Edit: just seen there is a separate thread discussing this very topic.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

So the suspicion is Williams is being protected for his own good so he can further his career elsewhere ?  AKA  Galdwin & Smallwood who benefited from Mowbrays genteel humanoid approach.  What is he running, his own football charity ?

If there's even a grain of truth to it it stinks, again. It's a tall order but would be in no way surprising. 

Mind you now it's been mentioned on here i wouldn't be surprised to see him back sometime soon. There's a habit down there to react or comment on what comes out on here.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I rather use them then keep signing players. Use our academy players 

Do you think we could genuinely challenge for promotion with Carter and Magloire involved regularly? The latter spent half of this season in non league. It would be another failed chance to fix the defence.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Thats a very unfair strict barometer to suggest that if they arent ready by 22 then they never will be. But my reservations are more around their quality at this stage, Wharton played 80 odd games before getting involved properly in our first team. Both Magloire and Carter were taken to the cleaners by very average Championship strikers in Atdhe Nuhiu and James Collins in their last games at this level and both looked well off. 

It sounds like both have had a couple of good performances but that in isolation doesnt change much in regards to their ability to play for us where we supposedly aim to be. Magloire spent half a season in non league, it sounds like having initially been on the bench he has been needed in the Scottish Premier League and had a couple of games which is good to see, same with Carter at the bottom of League 1. Hopefully they will continue to impress but even if they have a full half season of success, I would not be content with them being expected to solve our defensive issues. Maybe have one as a squad player but I would prefer them to have a full season out on loan again and really prove themselves as the gap back is a big one.

Elliott is a player of talent that we wouldnt ordanarily be able to have. Branthwaite and Harwood Bellis are poor signings.

• Like 1