BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am intrigued about how exactly Venkys are going to find and negotiate with a new manager. The whole setup the club is so mental. 

As someone on here pointed out we got Mowbray through Paul Senior. Then Mowbray effectively appointed Waggot (lol) . So they don't know if they can really trust him to find a new manager. 

So they've got to go via an agency (but presumably will be wary of that after being rinsed by Kentaro). Or go for something mad like the Shebby Singh thing where thye get someone they trust to do it, even if they know nothing about football. 

We could be in a bit of weird situation where 

• Mowbray wants to go (his interview sounded like he does...)
  • The owners want him out
  • But the owners actually don't know how to do it.

How mad is that?

In that context I reckon maybe the rumours about Hughes could be true as he is well known enough for them to just pick up the phone to him directly. But I imagine Hughes won't be particularly impressed with the level of dysfunction at the club.

I think a lot of the clues point towards Pulis. On the books of the agency supplying our previous 4 managers. And I’m sure he himself would chuck his cap straight in for the job. Convenient for both Venkys and Pulis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don Said said:

I think a lot of the clues point towards Pulis. On the books of the agency supplying our previous 4 managers. And I’m sure he himself would chuck his cap straight in for the job. Convenient for both Venkys and Pulis.

Ah.... that would tie up with Mowbray banging on about possession football getting teams promoted in that interview, and you should stick with it, and not tear it up and start with a "new idea" - ie. Pullis hoof ball....

Jesus. Pulis would be a real downer.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Well he’s now saying ‘the product isn’t that bad’ and he fears who Venkys would appoint.

It would be difficult at this point to get in somebody who would deliver worse than 1 point from 21 available. 

I mean, I get the concern, but under that logic we'll be stuck with Mowbray forever and looking at this season's regression we could be back in League 1 before too long. At the very least we can hope to tread water in the Championship for a few more seasons whilst our debts continue to increase and our non-playing assets are sold off... whatever way you look at it a change needs to be made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ooh.... that would tie up with Mowbray banging on about possession football getting teams promoted in that interview, and you should stick with it, and not tear it up and start with a "new idea" - ie. Pullis hoof ball....

You could be right there Joey, might all be sorted already.

Edited by West Yorks Rover

1 minute ago, Don Said said:

It’d be interesting if Pulis had already been mooted at the club. I thought Mowbrays comments about keeping our footballing philosophy if he was to go were really odd...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am intrigued about how exactly Venkys are going to find and negotiate with a new manager. The whole setup the club is so mental. 

As someone on here pointed out we got Mowbray through Paul Senior, who left when we got relegated. Then Mowbray effectively appointed Waggot (lol). So they don't know if they can really trust him to find a new manager. 

So they've got to go via an agency (but presumably will be wary of that after being rinsed by Kentaro). Or go for something mad like the Shebby Singh thing where thye get someone they trust to do it, even if they know nothing about football. 

We could be in a bit of weird situation where :

• Mowbray wants to go (his interview sounded like he does...)
  • The owners want him out
  • But the owners actually don't know how to do it.

How mad is that?

In that context I reckon maybe the rumours about Hughes could be true as he is well known enough for Venkys to just pick up the phone to him directly. But I imagine Hughes won't be particularly impressed with the level of dysfunction at the club if that is true.

HSH supply the managers i'm not sure Senior had much to do with it at all. He was just parachuted in as a consultant to get rid of Coyle, then he was a head to roll upon relegation. 

He might have tried to put his name to it but really do we think they would listen to him when they've never listened to anyone else ?  

Iv'e been told all appointments are done well away from Ewood and even the directors didn't know who was coming until the day before they arrived. That was from someone who was involved.

Same thing will likely happen again, probably after Venus has stood in for a while.

• Like 5

Seems to like mentioning that he might not be here for long or not here to take us on the journey in his last few interviews.

Pretty much asking to be sacked but Venkys probably won't be acting anytime soon.

So demoralising having such a dysfunctional set up throughout the club.

• Like 1

Pullis 🤢 I despair, we need someone whos going to bring some optimism & charisma with him, not another hasbin dinosaur. 

When Mowbray was initially hired, he was the right man for the job at that time and it turned out to be one of the venkys very few successful decisions, let's keep a little faith and hope we again get the right man for the job and also that they don't let Mowbray carry on moping about the place for much longer, further destroying whatever moral is left at the training ground! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, West Yorks Rover said:

You could be right there Joey, might all be sorted already.

Somebody on Twitter said how Pulis mentioned Mowbray was lucky to still be in a job. Didn’t hear/see anything myself but could add some weight if he did say as much.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

I've thought about it, based on the comments above and the managers available, and agree it sounds like it will be Pulis 😞

The key thing with Venkys is low effort simplicity - so if Pulis is represented by people they know, and is available, and has the basic metrics on his CV (ie. a promotion) then that makes sense. Add to that Mowbray's pretty intense discussion of possession football winning promotions post game, and saying to stick to that philosophy, I think it sounds pretty nailed on that Pulis is on the cards. 

To be more optimistic maybe there are a couple of names in the hat (say Pulis and Hughes) and Mowbray is trying to steer them away from Pulis. But I just can't see Venkys looking beyond someone represented by people they have a relationship with who meets some basic easily understandable criteria.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Jesus Christ, apologies if it was mentioned in the last few days, but Pasha’s last two likes on Twitter are:

Bayes praising Mowbray’s Reading pre-match interview and Lancs’ Sports tweet where it quotes Mowbray not fearing for his job. 

FFS.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Jesus Christ, apologies if it was mentioned in the last few days, but Pasha’s last two likes on Twitter are:

Bayes praising Mowbray’s Reading pre-match interview and Lancs’ Sports tweet where it quotes Mowbray not fearing for his job. 

FFS.

🤮😑

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I've thought about it, based on the comments above and the managers available, and agree it sounds like it will be Pulis 😞

The key thing with Venkys is low effort simplicity - so if Pulis is represented by people they know, and is available, and has the basic metrics on his CV (ie. a promotion) then that makes sense. Add to that Mowbray's pretty intense discussion of possession football winning promotions post game, and saying to stick to that philosophy, I think it sounds pretty nailed on that Pulis is on the cards. 

To be more optimistic maybe there are a couple of names in the hat (say Pulis and Hughes) and Mowbray is trying to steer them away from Pulis. But I just can't see Venkys looking beyond someone represented by people they have a relationship with who meets some basic easily understandable criteria.

He's not going anywhere. 

15 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Pullis 🤢 I despair, we need someone whos going to bring some optimism & charisma with him, not another hasbin dinosaur. 

Like Mick McCarthy and Neil Warnock ?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Don Said said:

I think so too. I'm convinced Pulis is going to be the next man in. I really hope that doesn't happen.

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ah.... that would tie up with Mowbray banging on about possession football getting teams promoted in that interview, and you should stick with it, and not tear it up and start with a "new idea" - ie. Pullis hoof ball....

Jesus. Pulis would be a real downer.

This squad is not remotely equipped for a Pulis rescue act. No height or physical presence in attack and diminutive ball players in midfield. Replacing Mowbray with Pulis would be a disaster. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alcd said:

This squad is not remotely equipped for a Pulis rescue act. No height or physical presence in attack and diminutive ball players in midfield. Replacing Mowbray with Pulis would be a disaster. 

Im not sure. Firstly, I don’t think we have enough ‘ball players’ and assuming we sell AA in the summer and invested inevitably in 5/6 6ft 2in plus players, adding some steel and leadership to the ranks, I think we’d potentially be better off?

Pulis would tick all the 2015- present boxes. 

HSH

Unemployed

Would love the job

Once got promotion from this league a long time ago

Just like Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray

I don't know how I would feel TBH. Prior to his Middlesbrough and Sheff Wed spells I'd be all over it but he didn't impress in either of those and he doesn't have the same sort of track record as Warnock, Bruce, McCarthy and Hughton (the other 'dinosaurs'). It took Pulis a while to get Stoke sorted and he hasn't done it anywhere else.

He's better as a firefighter keeping teams up than dragging them to promotion.

I'd rather him than a needless and reckless gamble on a rookie or nonentity from lord knows where but I think there are many better and more exciting options for the club.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Im not sure. Firstly, I don’t think we have enough ‘ball players’ and assuming we sell AA in the summer and invested inevitably in 5/6 6ft 2in plus players, adding some steel and leadership to the ranks, I think we’d potentially be better off?

When I say "disaster" I mean relegation would be even more likely under Pulis than with Mowbray. 

1 hour ago, slowmo said:

Shocking interview , just reeling of the same sound bites and never looked at the camera.

Never trust someone who doesn't look you in the eye .

He will be gone before the next international break imo ,can see this form continuing a while yet.

Contrary to popular belief, the interviewer does not wear the camera on a head mount.

Really, really sounded like he’s going and he knows it though

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1