BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

22 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I hope the 'Boro lad is ok but he had been trying to impose himself on our young centre half prior to the incident, bet he regrets that now!

All I saw was a reincarnate Glenn Keeley, in a young blond headed body, wearing the famous blue and white halves, with a nasty glint in his eye after the unfortunate incident. I thought about bloody time, you'll do for me Branthwaite!

We saw the game out well and in the end, were unfortunate not to bag a couple more (if only Arma could learn to round the keeper when through one v one!)

Average 2 points per game between now and seasons end and we're up there!

Great Result, well suited.

COYB!! 

Fair enough, but in Killer's day you could get away with a lot. These days you can't (usually) so if he carries on in that sort of vein he'll spend most of his loan spell here suspended and be neither use nor ornament.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As I understand it:

Not if the referee says in his report he saw the incident but didn't deem it worthy of any further action. 

However if he says he missed the incident altogether then retrospective punishment could be imposed.

He won't be doing the first one. If he saw it and gave nothing he should be fired (mind you, most or all of the refs in this league should be fired).

Where I stand on it...yes, blatantly a penalty, and if intent is irrelevant (which I don't think it should be, but rules are rules) then it's a definite red.

However. Enough has gone against us this season, far more than has gone for us from the refs, that I just don't feel bad. Other than for the poor lad whose face got smashed. But that said, I don't remember anybody being sent off when Raya or Evans got their faces smashed to pieces. Did we even get free kicks? So I think we are due getting away with breaking someone else's face.

Happy to have won today despite predicting we had no chance of better than a draw. Think we rode our luck with it though until after the goal when we came to life. Odd to stick with the planned changes immediately after the goal which saw the scorer and the assist-maker both get hooked immediately. But we won so it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough, but in Killer's day you could get away with a lot. These days you can't (usually) so if he carries on in that sort of vein he'll spend most of his loan spell here suspended and be neither use nor ornament.

You're right Rev but I'm sure you get my general point.

What are defenders supposed to do? Let opposing forwards grapple and crawl all over them, lay down and half heartedly jump for headers, meanwhile nasty bastards like Nick Powell and Jay Rodriguez frighten our centre halves to death?

Bollocks to that, we've got a young centre half (sadly on loan) who's prepared to give opposition senior pros, more than a run for their money, where it hurts. That rubbed off on the rest of the team today IMO because they showed far more grit and determination than of late.

Don't forget refs in this league are ridiculously lenient, as evidenced today in our favour, as it happens. If Branthwaite were to get an odd red card, so be it. He certainly wouldn't be "neither use nor ornament" as you say.

Soft bastards win feck all.

For the past 7 or 8 years, we've been absolute powder puff! Hopefully that's gonna change and we've now got some bite to add to our undoubted attacking armoury!

• Like 5

What is interesting - just prior to the boro player got injured, there was a blatant foul on Travis where the Boro player tried to cheat a penalty by holding Travis and then chucking himself to the ground.

No free kick was given - and just after this their player got injured. Could it be that the Ref thought the player was feigning injury to get a penalty - only later to find the actual extent of the injury ?

Let's hope the Boro player makes a full recovery - it is never nice to see a player getting injured.

From a Rovers perspective, it was good to see that it didn't affect Branthwaites game too much. He is obviously far from the finished article - but defensively we have looked better with him.

• Like 2

My take on the incident is that Braithwaite didn't see the Boro player coming in from the side and was concentrating on the ball,. So no malice or intent. But careless it was.

But I have no sympathy for Warnock, surely the most cynical and ruthless manager in football. That's part of the reason he get's results. 

If that incident had been the other way round he wouldn't have given a stuff about a Rovers player's eye.

Nice goal from us by the way.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We have to be alert to the possibility.

When's Ayala due back? He really has been a poor signing thus far and we've got another two years of this to come.

Signing a player without a pre season and after the season started was more of an issue. Only a plonker does this every year. Look at the Holtby signing the year before. The approach never works.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

When's Ayala due back? He really has been a poor signing thus far and we've got another two years of this to come.

Everyone could see it.  There must be someone earning good money on that apart from Carthorse.   Smells like fuck.

Unless something changes he will be on the bench getting free money for 2 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Borofan87 said:

Boro fan coming in peace here.

I can't believe some people say it could be a yellow card not a red, although most accept it was a red.

If you go in studs showing in that manner on someones leg, its a red card no question, so how is there any doubt 6 ft in the air with someones face its a red card or not?

There's no way to prove it but as a fan watching, especially the rest of the first half, the incident made me totally switch off from the game and my head wasn't in it. I can only imagine how the players felt seeing it happen to a team mate and for me, I think it effected both teams in the first half. 

I think we came out the 2nd half probably after Dael had said to go out and win it for him, wanting it more and the better team, then the goal totally deflated that momentum and we could have lost by more.

The point is forgetting the penalty and red card, I think the incident massively changed the game psychologically for the players - although I can't prove that and we were terrible in our last game against Birmingham so we'll never know.

We've had two players needing their faces rebuild for kicks in the head. neither were sent off. It was a penalty, but not a red in my book. 

Boro is the team we have had by far the most luck against all season; sorry about that. 

6 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Raya and Evans needed their faces rebuilt; don't remember the aggressors being sent off.

The young lad should've had a yellow card; it was accidental.

That's not the law as it stands.

Can't remember the Evans incident but Raya got accidentally injured diving in at someone's feet. There's a massive difference between that and what happened yesterday, you've a right not to be kicked in the face six feet in the air hence the current regulations requiring you to take care for another player's safety and not requiring deliberate intent.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's not the law as it stands.

Can't remember the Evans incident but Raya got accidentally injured diving in at someone's feet. There's a massive difference between that and what happened yesterday, you've a right not to be kicked in the face six feet in the air hence the current regulations requiring you to take care for another player's safety and not requiring deliberate intent.

He'd have got a red card had he kicked him up the arse!

It was clearly dangerous play, and merited an indirect free kick. However, with all of the extenuating circumstances (e.g. age and inexperience of the player, the trajectory of the ball, the fact his view of the attacking player was obscured by another player, the speed at which play was moving, the slo-mo fall to the ground that their lad had) it would have been mighty harsh to red card Branthwaite. Red cards are for when a player recklessly jumps in in the full knowledge that their action could injure an opponent. Branthwaite was just doing his job as a central defender and looking to clear a dangerous cross.

He is a bit Bambi though, isn't he.

Oh, and Warnock is a prize knob.

• Like 1

Not sure who was commenting for BBC yesterday but it was certainly more descriptive and enjoyable than normal;

Rovers contingent of midfielders with dark flowing locks and beards seem to get to every ball. Hard to tell them all apart.

Boro can't take advantage, and Rovers' Timotei-advert midfield cope with the danger again.

Credit to Blackburn for trying to up the excitement in this six minutes of injury time with some really shoddy clearances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/55771969

I thought Dack`s through ball (not a hoof over the top) to Gallagher in the second half was worth the "entrance fee" alone. Pity Arma skied it at the end of the move.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Raya and Evans needed their faces rebuilt; don't remember the aggressors being sent off.

The young lad should've had a yellow card; it was accidental.

Whether it is accidental or not is irrelevant his foot is 6ft up in the air and his studs are in an opponents face. It's reckless ,has endangered his opponent and is therefore a red card.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Whether it is accidental or not is irrelevant his foot is 6ft up in the air and his studs are in an opponents face. It's reckless ,has endangered his opponent and is therefore a red card.

Absolutely and he will be banned for it. 

Let's say Morsy goes to clear the ball but can't get his laces on it so stretches to use his studs In exactly the motion your defender did. Unbeknownst to him dack is behind him and gets to the ball first, Morsy accidentally makes contact with his leg and almost certainly if he goes studs first, breaks Dacks leg. Is it a red card because he didn't mean it. Absoltuely it is. 

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

To be fair - I think most Rovers fans wanted us to sign Chapman. I think most thought it was a gamble (from injury perspective) - but worth taking based on his time with us in L1

You mean his fan club on here did. I liked the lad a lot the first time around. I thought he had a future in the game but once he sustained those injuries I would have left well alone. It was a risk we didn't need to take. He relied massively on his electric burst of pace and once that wasn't available he became a much more limited player.

Brantwaithe played dangerously and should have had at least a yellow card and conceded a penalty according to the rule book. That doesn't make him into some Machiavellian genius we should be glad to have on our side, but rather an inexperienced defender who got very lucky to escape attention from the referee. 

Either way, I thought we had a decent period of 10 or so minutes in the first half, but then got sucked into Boro's usual scrappy play (very similar to the game at Ewood) and only threatened on the counter. Which admittedly worked out fine, I don't think Boro ever came close to goal apart than from set pieces, but I don't think it's a tenable strategy if we're aiming towards the top 6 and above. Mowbray talks about how he wants us to be a controlling team that wants possession, but didn't come close to implementing it yesterday.  

I loved Warnock hanging around after the game to give both barrels to the Everton loanee - and the 18 year old telling him where to get off.

The 70+yo, clearly quite unhealthy, scumbag quickly scurried behind a wall of his players for protection. Tosser.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

Absolutely and he will be banned for it. 

Let's say Morsy goes to clear the ball but can't get his laces on it so stretches to use his studs In exactly the motion your defender did. Unbeknownst to him dack is behind him and gets to the ball first, Morsy accidentally makes contact with his leg and almost certainly if he goes studs first, breaks Dacks leg. Is it a red card because he didn't mean it. Absoltuely it is. 

Morsy isn't the best example to use, he's a dirty player.