BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

14 hours ago, arbitro said:

I had several rows with him over the years and I have to say I found him a nasty individual who invariably blamed me when his team had lost. In the same season he called me the best first year referee he had ever seen to the worst official on the list later in the season. Today's rant was typical of him and it's simply a deflection tactic designed to ease any criticism for losing. This is a man who called Diouf a sewer rat then signed him.

That’s very interesting. I also noticed during his post match interview he continually referenced that he almost lost an eye by a 1/4 of an inch confirmed  by the medics. Later it was almost lost by 1 mm confirmed by the medics. ( 1/4 inch is 7mm). Looking at the photo it looks more like 20 mm to the stitch.

I think if your going to demand sanctions supported by medical opinion it needs to by accurate and not emotive.

Those type of injuries are a shoulder shrug in sports like rugby and boxing. Imagine if every time that happened the manager/ coach/ trainer appeared on telly saying the game was irrelevant after the injury.

Warnock has stated by arbitro was using the injury to deflect from another home defeat and a poor performance.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

Absolutely and he will be banned for it. 

I don't think he will get a retrospective ban as he can only get one if the officials say they didn't see it and I don't see how they can all say they didn't see it considering the ball was on head of the player who was kicked and they gave a goal kick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's not the law as it stands.

Can't remember the Evans incident but Raya got accidentally injured diving in at someone's feet. There's a massive difference between that and what happened yesterday, you've a right not to be kicked in the face six feet in the air hence the current regulations requiring you to take care for another player's safety and not requiring deliberate intent.

I have always believed that Rodrigues could have avoided the contact and chose not too.

I agree with you on the Branthwaite incident - the rules call it 'careless'

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's not the law as it stands.

Can't remember the Evans incident but Raya got accidentally injured diving in at someone's feet. There's a massive difference between that and what happened yesterday, you've a right not to be kicked in the face six feet in the air hence the current regulations requiring you to take care for another player's safety and not requiring deliberate intent.

The Raya incident looked more deliberate. 

And 4 feet isn't 6 feet.

The lad made a mistake that was a penalty and probably a red card.

These refereeing mistakes happen routinely and generally even themselves out.

Boro still had 80 minutes to beat, but didn't.

Warnock is an arse of the highest order, maybe the worst in football, and behaved disgustingly.  

Can we agree that these are the facts?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

The lad made a mistake that was a penalty and probably a red card.

These refereeing mistakes happen routinely and generally even themselves out.

Boro still had 80 minutes to beat, but didn't.

Warnock is an arse of the highest order, maybe the worst in football, and behaved disgustingly.  

Can we agree that these are the facts?

If it had been me Warnock had a go at, I would have gone over to him and said, either hit me or sit down and shut up, old man. 

I can agree.

I'll also add Morsy is a horrible niggly player. Exactly what every team wants.

With regards Warnock. I wasn't a huge fan before he was our manager. What he achieved keeping us up was a miracle and now I wouldn't have anyone else here.

We put out 2 hour long zoom interviews with him and every fan is glued to them and you can listen to them all day. He's funny and just an all round football man. He says it how it is unlike most other people in football, such as Mowbrays pathetic excuse of an interview yesterday.

Once he retires, any club that was lucky enough to have him in this division will remember him fondly, the rest will be happy about the day, not knowing what they've missed out on.

• Like 4

So we got away with one... it happens... we have been on the receiving end of some dodgy refereeing in the past, and I am sure we will in the future.  My thoughts on the matter would be in hindsight... one of two things should have happened.

1. Red card & penalty

2. Yellow card & penalty

I am of the mindset that unless something is malicious we stick with option 2.  Dont destroy the game for all of us, give the injured players team a brucie bonus penalty and the fouling player a yellow.  No double damage! Option one is only for a a malicious nasty tackle within the area. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

I can agree.

With regards Warnock. I wasn't a huge fan before he was our manager. What he achieved keeping us up was a miracle and now I wouldn't have anyone else here.

We put out 2 hour long zoom interviews with him and every fan is glued to them and you can listen to them all day. He's funny and just an all round football man. He says it how it is unlike most other people in football, such as Mowbrays pathetic excuse of an interview yesterday.

Once he retires, any club that was lucky enough to have him in this division will remember him fondly, the rest will be happy about the day, not knowing what they've missed out on.

You say that till you fall out of love with him. Plenty here who loved Allardyce, and I was even known to defend him myself to outsiders, despite disliking him in the extreme, because we were winning and stable with him. All managers have a shelf life - then disenchantment gradually grows. You may never hate him but you wont hang on his every word always. We didn't get the chance to fall out of love with Allardyce - Kean saw to that

Edited by gumboots

Regarding, retrospective action, I don't recall Tom Clarke being given a red after the incident with Evans which, imo, was quite similar - high boot, going to clear the ball, eyes on the ball, player coming in to head the ball on the blind side. IIRC, no action was taken at the time on the pitch by the match referee The injury to Corry was far worse than the Boro lad who will be back playing again in a week or two.

I also don't recall any OTT reaction from either us fans or Rovers management & officials. It was put down to 'one of those things'.

The reaction towards Branthwaite from Warnock in particular is disgusting. He's reacted like Jarrod's just murdered his first born! It was an accident, probably should've been a pen, wasn't given, you lost. Get over it.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

The reaction towards Branthwaite from Warnock in particular is disgusting. He's reacted like Jarrod's just murdered his first born! It was an accident, probably should've been a pen, wasn't given, you lost. Get over it.

I watched the highlights. It should have been a penalty and a booking as it was clumsy from Branthwaite. It didn't warrant a sending off though.

As to Warnock's reaction, having a go at Branthwaite is poor form. Mowbray should have stepped in and mediated it. However, you can see why Warnock is a good manager. He's past 70 and still has a lot of passion. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I actually thought the Morsy/Dack incident was a lot worse than that, the ball was going out anyway and whilst he probably didn't intend to put him out of action for 12 months, I thought he "did" Dack by deliberately stamping on his foot.

The one today on Travis I thought was something and nothing, a professional foul/taking one for the team which is often referred to as "a good foul" by ex-pros".

Morsy's a horrible barsteward. However if he played for us I'd probably think he was great.

And a little bit of extra momentum added to Dack by shoulder push just a little added oomph, I said at the time if not for that Dacky may have been not so badly hurt.

41 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

I can agree.

He sells himself well to the public and he has done it at every club he has been at. I can tell you that after refereeing his teams on at least a dozen occasions he is a nasty piece of work. Here is an example.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2304152/Neil-Warnock-wont-missed-referees--GRAHAM-POLL.html

I had a conversation with another manager a few days after I did a game between him team and Warnocks. He told me he heard Warnock telling one of his players to break an opponents leg.

He called Diouf a sewer rat and then signed him.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/neil-warnock-signs-sewer-rat-el-hadji-diouf-8034496.html

Ternant has it right.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/jan/01/newsstory.sport4

• Like 2

Four incidents that won Rovers the game:

Incident One: Well, we got away with that one, didn't we? Stonewall penalty and it's clear that by the laws of the game it should have been a red. We'd have been raging against it if it'd happened to us. However, it wasn't given so we: didn't lose a penalty, kept eleven players on the pitch and Boro lost one of their best players. We've had some decisions go against us this season, but we've certainly had them go for us as well. 

Incident Two: That said, at least as important was the incident when Kaminski pulled off a fantastic reflex save. Despite this, the Boro player should have scored. He's but a couple of yards out. With the penalty let off and that woeful excuse for a finish, we seemed to be living a charmed life.

Incident Three: Quality play by Nyambe steaming forward followed by some deft touches by Elliot and a superb pass by Armstrong meant a tap-in for Rothwell. Armstrong might not have had his shooting boots on last night (or indeed recently), but his buildup play has often been excellent. Comparisons with Vardy are obviously over the top, but he's destined to play in the premier league at some stage. I can't see him being the main man anywhere like Vardy, but as a squad player? It'll happen. 

Incident Four: Taking off the goalscorer and the creator straight after the goal seemed bizarre, but for once Tony Tombola's throw of the dice worked. Ditch the 4-3-3, please! We should have won by more than one in the end, but Arma's not quite in that goalscoring form of 2020 at the moment. He's getting in the right positions time and again though, so he'll come good again soon.

Conclusions - 

- Fortunate win in many ways, but that's what sides who have playoff aspirations need to do. We'll need more "fortunate" wins to come, this is the championship and it's a heck of a tough league to escape.

- Surely we can all understand Warnock being upset, but surely we can all understand how he's one of the biggest hypocrites in football so it was funny to see. Still, why the hell did we choose Coyle over him? Mind boggles and we'd have been in the prem (and perhaps come back down, admittedly) if that appointment had been made. 

- Get Buckley out on loan. There might be a player in there, but he needs regular game time in a settled position, not right back one week, left wing next, central midfield next.

- The worries about Dack returning to form are lessening. Great vision displayed.

TL;DR - We got lucky...and it feels great! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough, but in Killer's day you could get away with a lot. These days you can't (usually) so if he carries on in that sort of vein he'll spend most of his loan spell here suspended and be neither use nor ornament.

Seem to remember Keeley taking pelters from Jimmy Hill for upending Lil Fucillo on a frozen pitch, I wasn't far away and he hit him so hard he ended up vertically hitting the pitch head first.

Ironically given the Everton connection I also remember Keeley being absolutely bamboozled in the derby game against Liverpool when he got sent off whilst on loan which proved a godsend as he came back and signed a new contract with Rovers.

Agree that Branthwaite needs to learn, we could do with another experienced CB but he's started ok for me.

3 hours ago, Borofan87 said:

I can agree.

Agree entirely. I wasn't a fan until he was out of work for a while and had an extended spell as  Co presenter on the Talk Sport Breakfast show with Alan Brazil.

To my surprise I found him a really engaging character who wears his heart on his sleeve and says exactly what he thinks unlike most managers who lapse into ridiculous manager speak to cover their backsides. The only criticism you can lay at his door imo is that he gets carried away in the heat of the moment either during the match or immediately post match and says the sort of things a fan would say. Again I find that rather refreshing.

Meanwhile you've got a manager into his seventies bouncing with enthusiasm and passion busting a gut trying to add yet another promotion to his already impressive CV.

Whereas we have Mowbray going through the motions counting down the days until retirement pulling the wool over our owners eyes by waffling on vaguely about journeys and challenging for the top 6 sometime never.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree entirely. I wasn't a fan until he was out of work for a while and had an extended spell as  Co presenter on the Talk Sport Breakfast show with Alan Brazil.

To my surprise I found him a really engaging character who wears his heart on his sleeve and says exactly what he thinks unlike most managers who lapse into ridiculous manager speak to cover their backsides. The only criticism you can lay at his door imo is that he gets carried away in the heat of the moment either during the match or immediately post match and says the sort of things a fan would say. Again I find that rather refreshing.

Meanwhile you've got a manager into his seventies bouncing with enthusiasm and passion busting a gut trying to add yet another promotion to his already impressive CV.

Whereas we have Mowbray going through the motions counting down the days until retirement pulling the wool over our owners eyes by waffling on vaguely about journeys and challenging for the top 6 sometime never.

I’m sorry Rev but I can’t let your post go unchallenged.

Your last paragraph shows well your disdain for our manager. You assert he is deceitful to his employers, he is lazy and is only motivated by his retirement pot at the end of his career.

Assertions that I doubt you have any evidence for.

Astonishingly, you contrast him with a 70 year old who engaged in a foul mouthed rant against the officials and later with an 18 year old boy wearing blue and white. 

Your defence of him is that he is “engaging” and “ he gets carried away in the heat of the moment!” You must have missed Arbritros’s earlier post which contains plenty of damning comments about Neil Warnock.

Some posters may also remember Warnock’s attempted assault on Shearer after words were exchanged at Brammall Lane in the 1990’s.

I have listened to every interview Tony Mowbray has given and being a  reasonable judge of character  in my honest opinion our manager is a man of standards and integrity.

• Like 6