Jump to content

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, yankfan said:

In order to be a red it would have to be violent conduct, deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity or be considered a serious foul play(uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play). The high boot doesn’t warrant any of those. 

Of course it does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy is turning out to be a good investment!

I see your user name is submarine. Is that why you got this wrong?

2 superb passes from, without doubt, our best player. All those doubting Dack need to give their heads a wobble.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I don't disagree, yes I'd have been pissed off the other way round. The ref got it wrong. Would you not see the justice in a yellow/pen? Keeps 11 v 11 early on. Opinions, eh?

I know refs like to keep their cards in their pocket early on if at all possible but I don't think a ref can bend the rules and award a yellow in lieu of a clear red simply in the interests of keeping  it 11 v 11. They'd get hauled over the coals.

Be interesting to see what happens next. If the ref says he saw it and decided to take no action I don't think there's anything that can be done. If in his report he says he missed the incident altogether  Branthwaite could face retrospective action from the FA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was the other way around we'd all be spitting fire and fuming that it wasn't a red. We were lucky to get away with it today.

Warnock's reaction was OTT for sure though. He admitted in his post match interview that he didn't think Branthwaite meant it, and don't tell me he's never managed a player - especially a younger player - who made a reckless challenge. No need to go at Branthwaite like that at the end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a red is harsh for that but by the letter of the law I think it’s a red. I was at city a few seasons back when they beat Liverpool 5-1 and mane cleaned the keeper out but he never took his eye off the ball coming over his shoulder as the Keeper came flying out. I thought that was harsh but if that’s the law then it’s a red. Although the rules change so much I’m not sure what is or isn’t anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I think a red is harsh for that but by the letter of the law I think it’s a red. I was at city a few seasons back when they beat Liverpool 5-1 and mane cleaned the keeper out but he never took his eye off the ball coming over his shoulder as the Keeper came flying out. I thought that was harsh but if that’s the law then it’s a red. Although the rules change so much I’m not sure what is or isn’t anymore

Red all day long you just can’t do it in today’s game, guy had to be subbed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

True but that incident changed the course of the match.

Down to 10 men and one down from the penalty spot, we would have been on course for a hiding just as Rovers handed out to other teams (when down to 10 men) earlier this season.

but 11 against 11, they weren’t good enough.

Boro should have got on with it and won the game via their own ability. Virtually every game teams have penalty appeals brushed aside, ignore it and get on and win the game without the refs help. 
 

I have little sympathy Mercer. Win the game yourself, don’t rely on the ref to win it for you.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

True but that incident changed the course of the match.

Down to 10 men and one down from the penalty spot, we would have been on course for a hiding just as Rovers handed out to other teams (when down to 10 men) earlier this season.

If ..If ..If ..Christ anyone would think you wanted us to get beat Merce  (1-0 boro Merce ??)..its football shit happens for and against Rovers won .. happy days ..yeah ..??

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I thought the criticism of us was that we were too nice.

So you are condoning the incident?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only incident that changed the game was Rovers scoring!

it might have been a yellow, it might have been red - the referee didn’t give it.

If it had been given as a penalty there was no guarantee boro would have scored it!

A clean sheet and 3 away points means we must now make it count with the next game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

If ..If ..If ..Christ anyone would think you wanted us to get beat Merce  (1-0 boro Merce ??)..its football shit happens for and against Rovers won .. happy days ..yeah ..??

Yeah we won.

Just hope Mowbray and co and posters on here contain their outrage when a key decision goes against us.

I've always argued that over the course of a season, you get decisions that go both for you and against you and, at the end of the season, they balance out.

Of course I'll take the win but it shouldn't overshadow the facts that it was fortuitous and, sadly, only serves to, IMO, paper over the cracks that are widening by the week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really pleased to get a win and a clean sheet against tough opposition. Lucky and not a good performance but at least we got that win.

Lets not beat around the bush, we were very lucky with the decision and the game would likely be totally different had we gone down to 10 men and they been given a penalty as should have happened, embarrassing on behalf of the official and to be understand I understand why Warnock was so angry.

Mowbray got the midfield balance wrong, not for the first time. The initially selected 3 obviously didnt get much time before Johnson's injury, I thought that Travis was a bit more like himself but still not great, at times he played poor passes/made wrong decisions and I was wondering whether they were down to rustiness or just the limitations in his game. Davenport was fairly underwhelming and we failed to gain any control of the game until after the goal.

On to Buckley and he was literally totally invisible. Unfortunately he shouldnt be anywhere near the squad, he doesnt impact on games and its an area where we have Travis, Davenport, Trybull, Downing, Evans, Johnson, Holtby etc so we dont even need him to add to the numbers. Get him out on loan and re-evaluate upon his return as to whether he thrives and develops, whether he needs further time out on loan next season or indeed whether it is best for him to make a name at a lower level permanently. He just looks totally lost.

Too much unfair criticism towards Armstrong again about his greed. I think that one extreme example v Bristol City has tarnished his reputation, he does shoot a lot in general but he also scores a lot of goals, hes the top scorer in the league. He is going through a dry patch (is it 2 in 10 and 2 games without so its not horrendous) and looks lacking in confidence but he took 3 shots today, none of which he made the wrong decision by shooting. The first was a difficult one early on, the second was clearly a man lacking in confidence and the third lacked composure, but im sure he will return to form. He was chasing the keeper down every time and his work for the goal was excellent, hold up play he isnt famed for but a lovely touch and perfect ball to Elliott who also was again very quiet aside from yet another assist. The pair offer a threat even when they are out of form. Rothwell was also invisible but pleased to see him get a third goal which I think is his best ever League return which shows you where the frustration comes from, hopefully the contributions will become more consistent.

Dack's cameo was really, really pleasing and exactly why I keep saying that we should start him and get him fully fit ASAP and playing as a number 10. He makes such an impact in that final third and makes us so much more dangerous, some great hold up play himself and one or two superb passes. 

Defensively, we were much more solid led by Lenihan who deserved his man of the match, he was colossal at the back. Branthwaite doesnt convince me based on todays showing, lucky both with the penalty incident and taking too long on the ball not long after. Nyambe was below his usual standards and let them in a couple of times, I thought Douglas was the better of the 2 full backs even if he isnt totally convincing, defended much better and also better on the ball than Bell could ever dream to be. Am I convinced about him for the rest of the season? Definitely not but in recent weeks he has been a bit better. Kaminski has an aura of reliability behind and gives us the security we need.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Delighted with the win and the fact we have grind it out at times. We looked miles better after we scored. Like the confidence came back to the players after scoring 1st. Our goal was beautiful piece of play and the best of the match. Happy all front 3 were involved. 

Armstrong should have made it 2 nil with his 2 chances 

Thought Warnock behaviour was a disgrace towards Branthwaite considering how much Warnock has got and he knows that our player never meant any harm to Fry and he went for the ball. Thought Branthwaite gave it back towards him. Good on him. Warnock should have knew better. 

Dack's cameo was good. 

Thought Kaminski was excellent and what a bargain we got for him. Lenihan and Branthwaite were very good aswell. Lenihan deserved his MOTM award from Sky. Proper Captain performance. Davenport did well today. Hopefully he starts next week. 

Hopefully we can kick on now and get 3 points against Luton. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

If this is progressive and entertaining football @chaddyrovers then forget it.  Think there'll be plenty of space at Ewood when fans are allowed back in.

another usually rant from yourself. Same Mercer just different day. no difference to any other day. 

Rovers have to grind it out and get the points. We defended properly and took no risks defensively. Thats what we need to do today to get the 3 points. After we scored we controlled the game and get better as the game went on. Plenty of positives for us and the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boro fan coming in peace here.

I can't believe some people say it could be a yellow card not a red, although most accept it was a red.

If you go in studs showing in that manner on someones leg, its a red card no question, so how is there any doubt 6 ft in the air with someones face its a red card or not?

There's no way to prove it but as a fan watching, especially the rest of the first half, the incident made me totally switch off from the game and my head wasn't in it. I can only imagine how the players felt seeing it happen to a team mate and for me, I think it effected both teams in the first half. 

I think we came out the 2nd half probably after Dael had said to go out and win it for him, wanting it more and the better team, then the goal totally deflated that momentum and we could have lost by more.

The point is forgetting the penalty and red card, I think the incident massively changed the game psychologically for the players - although I can't prove that and we were terrible in our last game against Birmingham so we'll never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Delighted with the win and the fact we have grind it out at times. We looked miles better after we scored. Like the confidence came back to the players after scoring 1st. Our goal was beautiful piece of play and the best of the match. Happy all front 3 were involved. 

Armstrong should have made it 2 nil with his 2 chances 

Thought Warnock behaviour was a disgrace towards Branthwaite considering how much Warnock has got and he knows that our player never meant any harm to Fry and he went for the ball. Thought Branthwaite gave it back towards him. Good on him. Warnock should have knew better. 

Dack's cameo was good. 

Thought Kaminski was excellent and what a bargain we got for him. Lenihan and Branthwaite were very good aswell. Lenihan deserved his MOTM award from Sky. Proper Captain performance. Davenport did well today. Hopefully he starts next week. 

Hopefully we can kick on now and get 3 points against Luton. 

another usually rant from yourself. Same Mercer just different day. no difference to any other day. 

Rovers have to grind it out and get the points. We defended properly and took no risks defensively. Thats what we need to do today to get the 3 points. After we scored we controlled the game and get better as the game went on. Plenty of positives for us and the team. 

Would you agree that we should have conceded a penalty and a red card and were very lucky today?

Also, does Dack's cameo change your opinion on building around him as a number 10?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have to start the match threads more often, I'm obviously a good luck charm 🍀

You can all thank me for the 3  points with a pint, next time we meet at Ewood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

Boro fan coming in peace here.

I can't believe some people say it could be a yellow card not a red, although most accept it was a red.

If you go in studs showing in that manner on someones leg, its a red card no question, so how is there any doubt 6 ft in the air with someones face its a red card or not?

There's no way to prove it but as a fan watching, especially the rest of the first half, the incident made me totally switch off from the game and my head wasn't in it. I can only imagine how the players felt seeing it happen to a team mate and for me, I think it effected both teams in the first half. 

I think we came out the 2nd half probably after Dael had said to go out and win it for him, wanting it more and the better team, then the goal totally deflated that momentum and we could have lost by more.

The point is forgetting the penalty and red card, I think the incident massively changed the game psychologically for the players - although I can't prove that and we were terrible in our last game against Birmingham so we'll never know.

A very fair post - you are very welcome here. Do you think you will get in to the playoffs ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

 

another usually rant from yourself. Same Mercer just different day. no difference to any other day. 

 

Delighted you are happy Chaddy and no doubt, similar to your cover photo, you are in your living room jumping up and down like a demented terrier.

Calm down, treat yourself to a takeaway, enjoy a beer and have a nice night!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gumboots said:

I see your user name is submarine. Is that why you got this wrong?

 

Can I just say I’ve laughed so much it’s brought tears to my eyes that is so observant and witty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. 

I always enjoy a trip to Ewood Park, we normally take a really good following. Hopefully I can go back soon.

I think under Warnock, if things go right for us with injuries etc we should do. 

I said Norwich would win the league before it started and tbh anyone from about 16 teams in this league, including us and yourselves could have finished 2nd before the season started, I don't see a big gap in quality between the others. 

I don't think many teams will take 4 points from us this season so enjoy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Borofan87 said:

There's no way to prove it but as a fan watching, especially the rest of the first half, the incident made me totally switch off from the game and my head wasn't in it. I can only imagine how the players felt seeing it happen to a team mate and for me, I think it effected both teams in the first half. 

I think we came out the 2nd half probably after Dael had said to go out and win it for him, wanting it more and the better team, then the goal totally deflated that momentum and we could have lost by more.

The point is forgetting the penalty and red card, I think the incident massively changed the game psychologically for the players - although I can't prove that and we were terrible in our last game against Birmingham so we'll never know.

If that put your players of their game that massively then they need to toughen up, that football things will go against you sometimes. It's unlike Warnock to have such a soft hearted group of players. Morsy aside of course, who committed the worst challenge today when he deliberately hacked Travis down from behind making absolutely no attempt for the ball, with only one thing in his mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I will have to start the match threads more often, I'm obviously a good luck charm 🍀

You can all thank me for the 3  points with a pint, next time we meet at Ewood. 

You're on a winning run,get the one for Luton started before someone else nabs it 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.