BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall v rovers

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

100% agree about dack but don`t think brereton can play centrally,he`s got a real problem holding the ball up and for someone his size,he ain`t half weedy,defenders knock him off the ball at will

I think Brereton is really good at hold up play. Rarely loses it and if he does usually gets a free kick.

What he is really rubbish at is heading the ball, which is what makes me wonder if her can really play a 9 role.

But given how terrible we are I'd give him a run at 9. If Armstrong's out what other option do we have? A half fit Dack as the so far totally unproductive false 9, and the kid McBride.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

dacks best position is just behind the main striker,he will look average if mowbray keeps sticking him here,there and everywhere

This is part of the problem with Mowbray allegedly strengthening the squad in all departments except obviously defence which is worse. We certainly have better individual players but that’s exactly what they are, a collection of individuals who don’t fit into any particular system together and certainly not the one he’s settled on.

It'll be interesting to see what he does should Armstrong not play. It's fast becoming obvious that Armstrong and Dack don't really work in the same team.  When Dack got injured there was mass concern about where the goals would come from, understandably so. Up stepped Armo who to be quite honest, prior to that wasn't talked about anywhere near as highly as he is now. Fast forward to now and we're in a similar scenario except it seems to be Dack who has looked completely out of sorts. It hasn't helped that he's been trying to regain fitness and he's clearly carrying some extra timber BUT pre injury would that even matter as much? He was just in the right places at the right time, a classic penalty area poacher. He's not currently even getting in those positions hardly and I can only attribute that to how he's being asked/told to play. Watching Everton the other night and there was a ridiculous stat that mentioned about DCL and how he hadn't scored from further out than 7 yards all season. He's having his best season playing exactly how he needs to as a poacher and the team around him compliment that.

Not sure we even have the perfect Danny Graham style player to compliment Dack currently though. We could try Ben centrally but it's absolutely critical that Dack, Elliott and even Rothwell are given a license to really push forward and support.

Someone else who's blatantly been missed, despite not being the first name on most people's team sheets is Johnson. Check the results since he's been out injured? Coincidence? Or is he an unsung hero that's actually pretty key.....

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, alcd said:

Give Armstrong a rest as losing him for an extended period would be a disaster. Put Brereton central with Dack behind as No10. Playing Dack in any other position is ridiculous. 

Was my thinking too. I mean, why not try it? Cant be any worse. If at least to have Dack in his best position. We know it will bounce off BB in all directions but maybe Dack can work with that. 

BB does seem to have a knack of getting a tad lucky with his directness. Poor touches, bounces off defenders in his favour but his doggedness gets him through sometimes. I actually think BB is one of the only positives this season - and that's saying something. He has at least warranted selection on the most part when in previous seasons he shouldn't have been near the starting 11.

Bulked up, been more of a threat and got amongst the goals a bit more. Still nowhere near a 7 mil player mind you but thats another story. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If there was 40 more games and Armstrong didnt play one of them, he would still finish top scorer to be fair.

I appreciate your tongue is firmly in your cheek when you say that but this is the same argument that has kept Mowbray and Bowyer bulletproof with a large section of fans for too long.

It’s an unpopular opinion but, in my view, Armstrong is hugely overrated and occupies a “shoot on sight” role. I bet some players would kill for that privilege. Everybody else has to track back or they are dropped.

This is Mowbray’s preferred approach though. We play with nine midfielders and one striker - he even buys strikers and plays them out wide to accommodate the so-called false nine role.  I’m sure someone else could score a goal with every 8 shots. (Last season he got 1 in 6-7 and the season before 1 goal every 15th shot).

The only thing Mowbray has done well in the Championship with Rovers is to turn Armstrong into someone the papers are talking about being worth £25m. But it’s all smoke and mirrors by giving Armstrong the freedom he used to give Dack, a ‘be greedy’ remit, and no other responsibilities.

IMHO, if we ever want to get promoted we need a style of play that produces two 20-plus goal strikers not one. If anything Armstrong’s one-eyedness and profligacy contributes to that not happening.

29 minutes ago, matt83 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rovers/status/1367882600996503552

I think in terms of motivational speeches Henry v at Agincourt has met its match. No wonder never score in the first half. The poor sods  probably still asleep after listening to him that drone on.  

As a player listening to that you'd be ready to run through brick walls for the man once he finishes speaking. The focus on our positives and not worrying about the opponents (whoever they are, who cares) was the most impressive part of that soundbite. It's difficult to listen to that and not think that we are the Rovers and we fear nobody. 

Prediction after that? Millwall 1 Rovers 0. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think Brereton is really good at hold up play. Rarely loses it and if he does usually gets a free kick.

What he is really rubbish at is heading the ball, which is what makes me wonder if her can really play a 9 role.

But given how terrible we are I'd give him a run at 9. If Armstrong's out what other option do we have? A half fit Dack as the so far totally unproductive false 9, and the kid McBride.

Heading ability wise, all our attackers are poor.

9 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

As a player listening to that you'd be ready to run through brick walls for the man once he finishes speaking. The focus on our positives and not worrying about the opponents (whoever they are, who cares) was the most impressive part of that soundbite. It's difficult to listen to that and not think that we are the Rovers and we fear nobody. 

Prediction after that? Millwall 1 Rovers 0. 

Just the 1

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Free kicks and indeed any set piece are totally pointless to this team.

I think we are back to days of just 5 asides and short passing drills in trainlng as they clearly work on nothing else.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Free kicks and indeed any set piece are totally pointless to this team.

I think we are back to days of just 5 asides and short passing drills in trainlng as they clearly work on nothing else.

Oh for a Scott Sellars ..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Oh for a Scott Sellars ..

Even Wilcox could bang the odd one on target !

Crazy really when we have talent like Dack in the team and even Downing in the squad. I remember him scoring a few free kicks, one against us in smog land.

Comes back again to need a manager who can squeeze every drop out of his squad if you want promotion. Versus one who thinks he can get a championship team cobbled together playing like 1980's Liverpool.

Fools errand !

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

I think in terms of motivational speeches Henry v at Agincourt has met its match. No wonder never score in the first half. The poor sods  probably still asleep after listening to him that drone on.  

Blimey - that was depressing.

If he was sending out a youth team to play against them I could understand it a little but ffs - we don't have to try to compete, we have to compete. So many ifs' and "try tos' " after 4 years of building a team is just scary. A caretaker manager in his 2nd game has more positivity and higher demands from the players!

That said i actually expect us to rag a win here just to remove even the remote possibility that a change would be made or even discussed in a place far far away...

40 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Even Wilcox could bang the odd one on target !

Crazy really when we have talent like Dack in the team and even Downing in the squad. I remember him scoring a few free kicks, one against us in smog land.

Comes back again to need a manager who can squeeze every drop out of his squad if you want promotion. Versus one who thinks he can get a championship team cobbled together playing like 1980's Liverpool.

Fools errand !

Who takes the free kicks? Last time i watched it was Douglas 😳

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Club men, club men lend me your ideas. This game, this club. Forth to Millwall. For Blackburn rovers...onwards.

14 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would be over the Moon with a draw....my optimism stretches that far.

Going nowhere.

Unfortunately the manager will see it the same way. At least he’ll have earned about £20,000 this week for his troubles. 

• Backroom

I think we're hoping that BB's clumsy touch up front (albeit, he IS capable of holding the ball with his back to goal) could actually reignite Dack.

It's a desperate throw of the dice, but it may work 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think we're hoping that BB's clumsy touch up front (albeit, he IS capable of holding the ball with his back to goal) could actually reignite Dack.

It's a desperate throw of the dice, but it may work 🤷‍♂️

Why don't they try out these ideas in full scale training games ?