BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Straw poll:

Who'd rather we spent £3m - £6m on:  

1. A player with a long history of injuries and unproven quality who has had attitude problems in the past

2. Renovating and upgrading Ewood Park from its current unkempt state

3. Retaining a first class training ground that 25 years on is still the envy of many Premier League clubs

1. For me

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Straw poll:

1. A player with a long history of injuries and unproven quality who has had attitude problems in the past

3. Retaining a first class training ground that 25 years on is still the envy of many Premier League clubs

You forgot point 4?

Paying off Mowbray, Venus and Waggott

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems incredibly harsh to write off a 21 year old as being a crock with a bad attitude, as though he’s incapable of making those changes at his age. Perspective and that….

Especially when you are getting this info from a few fans on a message board.And the manager has come out since and said his attitude has improved.He was 18 when he broke through its like people can't understand that a person can mature with age and life experience

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Straw poll:

The deals for Brereton and Gallagher have contributed to why we are where we are on points 2 and 3.

As pointed out though there's a point 4 and it would be that for me all day. Although if i knew their time was up for sure at the end of this season i can lump it.

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Just out of interest and from my own observations, Newcastle United are not an equation in the deal with AA or Obefemi. They are the recipients of 40% of the profit on AA only. So, by my reckoning the lesser cash value rovers get the lesser money they pay out.

They cannot interfere with the deal, they cannot even dispute it because the FA/Pl are the only ones who can intervene on a transfer deal.

If we cheat them that'll be the last signing we make with them though on these terms. It'll be full price next time.

I think that the idea that Obafemi has been written off again by an angry mob insistent that he is forever injured and has an irreversible bad attitude and thus would be a terrible signing is disingenuous, it is 2 posters saying that, both of whom regularly have provocative viewpoints.

More constructively, one of the main points to which any deal is being dismissed is to me an illogical one, that we should "give a chance" to the strikers that we already have. Its nonsensical in that if you look at the team on Saturday, just that first 11, the weakest area is 100% the front 3 in its sustainability. Armstrong leaves a massive hole and our attack is massively light both in depth and in quality in front of goals, Brereton contrary to popular belief is unproven and not even necessarily a central striker, so that just leaves Gallagher. If we do not sign a striker, we do not have enough goals within the current ranks.

There is also seemingly many wary of FFP regulations, but we are bringing in a considerable fee, which is the whole process that we should be regularly undertaking, reinvesting only a small % of that is not going to jeopardising that, indeed it could lead to a future big sale in the future and if we dont sign a striker, we risk our own competitiveness. The idea of investing in January, equally illogical, both from a footballing perspective and also in that the January market is notoriously inflated.

Back to the player, and I am mixed on it really, having seen him 2 or 3 times at Southampton. He has all the raw attributes, he could press high, he is really quick and powerful and he would supplement what we have. Obviously it would be a huge risk because he is injury prone (that is a fact) and there is no evidence that he can score regularly. So there are pros and cons but I would much prefer him than no permanent signing. I wonder if we will look at Rhys Healey at Toulouse who we have been linked with and has been banging in the goals in Ligue 2.

Meanwhile on Khadra, annoying that he seemingly comes injured, we could have done with him in the squad at the weekend.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Straw poll:

There's alot of what id rather spend the money on - but we're not really even spending it. Its not like we have 3-6 mil to go and buy however we like. Either Southampton refused to pay any more in cash and offered us this player to get closer to our valuation of AA or TM already identified Obafemi as a target and wanted him as part of the deal (although a separate deal).

Its already been said that funds generated by this sale are unlikely to get reinvested, so at least we're getting someone who has the potential to be a decent replacement for our outgoing star man. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

There's alot of what id rather spend the money on - but we're not really even spending it. Its not like we have 3-6 mil to go and buy however we like. Either Southampton refused to pay any more in cash and offered us this player to get closer to our valuation of AA or TM already identified Obafemi as a target and wanted him as part of the deal (although a separate deal).

Its already been said that funds generated by this sale are unlikely to get reinvested, so at least we're getting someone who has the potential to be a decent replacement for our outgoing star man. 

So, we say make it £18m cash, don't have to hand a very risky 4/5 year deal to an unproven player.   We invest 3m in  couple of proven players.   Southampton must see us coming every time and start getting the baseball bat out and ask us to pull our pants down

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, we say make it £18m cash, don't have to hand a very risky 4/5 year deal to an unproven player.   We invest 3m in  couple of proven players.   Southampton must see us coming every time and start getting the baseball bat out and ask us to pull our pants down

Would we invest the additional 3M? The money would disappaear, we have been told as much that there is not going to be any of this money reinvested.

As for pulling our pants down, we still win that one as we got Shearer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

If we cheat them that'll be the last signing we make with them though on these terms. It'll be full price next time.

I think Newcastle will be happier with what they are going to get, rather than us keep Armstrong for this season  and they get 40% of nothing

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Aware that the same fans adamant that no replacements would be brought in following Armstrong’s sale are now trying to find ways to criticise the £6m rated striker we’re trying to sign. Pick a lane.

Correct and IF the Obafemi deal falls flat will then use this as a stick to batter the club with for not replacing him.

Some will go as far as full 180’s saying Obafemi could’ve been our saviour. Others will slaughter Venkys for not reinvesting it whilst refusing to pay a tenner to go to Morecambe tonight (or whatever).

WTF 🤣🤣🤣

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that the idea that Obafemi has been written off again by an angry mob insistent that he is forever injured and has an irreversible bad attitude and thus would be a terrible signing is disingenuous

Funnily enough what is disingenuous is pretending that people are claiming there’s an angry mob after Obafemi

Nobody has said that, but people have responded to the handful of people claiming he has a bad attitude without really knowing the lad 

8 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Aware that the same fans adamant that no replacements would be brought in following Armstrong’s sale are now trying to find ways to criticise the £6m rated striker we’re trying to sign. Pick a lane.

I think Mowbray and Waggott have done a good thing here.You either try and get 21 million for Armstrong hoping to get some money from Venkys back to sign a replacement or just negotiate 15 million and sign a player who you might not have been signing if you went to venkys and said can i have 6 million to sign another forward when you already spent 12 on 2 others who so far haven't worked out very well.