BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

42 minutes ago, rigger said:

If you are so certain of us being relegated. What odds will you give me, on the Rovers staying up next season ?  

8-1 for us to go down last time I checked. I’ll likely be advising friends and family with no emotional attachment to us, to lump on.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't know what contracts offers were made to any players like Armstrong, Rothwell or Nyambe. 

Do you know what any of these players are on now after signing their new contracts like Buckley, JRC, Dolan or even Dack?

Guessing AA is on £15k, Rothwell 5k, Ryan 3-4k

Young lads probably about 40-50k pa

Edited by Sparks Rover

The thing that annoys most at the moment is we ve signed no one one even on a  Free.

But looking at this list of players that have been signed by Championship clubs makes me wonder just how good are they ? The majority ive no idea of and all seemingly free ?

And as for actually paying a fee for a player ..IF this list is correct no ones spent anything bar one or two looking at Expenditures? All clubs look very  reluctant to spend cash ... welcome to the Championship 21/22.

Championship - Transfers 21/22 | Transfermarkt

This summer was one whereby due to circumstances including expiry of contracts, a good manager, proactive CEO and perhaps most importantly an interested set of owners could have streamlined and improved the squad even without needing to spend on fees, reducing the wage bill in the process.

You look at the players who we have lost and we are undoubtedly so much weaker without them as things stand.

At centre back, Harwood Bellis and Branthwaite have gone back and Williams and Mulgrew have left. We could probably get away with signing only 1 centre back, making a saving. Yet to happen.

At left back, we have lost Bell and Douglas. Pickering has now joined up with the squad so we need one more in, but with scope to again make a wage saving in this position. No left back as of yet.

In midfield, we have seen Trybull, Bennett, Downing, Holtby and Evans all depart. We should have released Johnson too. We are undoubtedly far weaker without them but none individually are huge losses. I would say we could even get away with signing 2 midfielders, making a considerable saving on wages. Nothing yet.

Elliott is a huge loss and he needs significantly replacing, as would Armstrong of course, probably with 2 attacking players.

Its just piss poor all round.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

The thing that annoys most at the moment is we ve signed no one one even on a  Free.

But looking at this list of players that have been signed by Championship clubs makes me wonder just how good are they ? The majority ive no idea of and all seemingly free ?

And as for actually paying a fee for a player ..IF this list is correct no ones spent anything bar one or two looking at Expenditures? All clubs look very  reluctant to spend cash ... welcome to the Championship 21/22.

As you say, not many cash transfers anymore, teams seem to be more aggressive in letting players go on frees and ultimately the free agent market is possibly the most important of all at the moment. It requires proactivity to master.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

8-1 for us to go down last time I checked. I’ll likely be advising friends and family with no emotional attachment to us, to lump on.

I was not asking for odds on us getting relegated. I was asking JH Rover, if he was so certain that we were going to get relegated. What odds would he give me on us staying up. Please follow the debate, not just the last comment.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, rigger said:

I was not asking for odds on us getting relegated. I was asking JH Rover, if he was so certain that we were going to get relegated. What odds would he give me on us staying up. Please follow the debate, not just the last comment.

Calm down pal, was just offering an opinion.

• Like 4

There won't be much money being spent on transfers, outside of the Premier league this summer. Alot of teams swapping things up, mostly releasing players and signing other free agents. I think we've always done well in recent seasons with loan signings. Mowbray although not well liked amongst us rovers fans is still well respected in the wider footballing world . We also have decent coaching set up and great facilities, in comparison to everyone bar the very top championship teams. Meaning we usually get a decent pick when signing loan players. 

Pickering is a great attacking fullback and although not especially quick, could turn out to be a great signing. We definitely need some more experienced squad players and other options to change a game. But our starting eleven at full strength (given we keep hold of our best players). Is more than capable of staying in this division, there are far worst teams in this division than us. 

We need players in certainly to add options and to cover the expected injuries we'll pick up, over the season. Hopefully it isn't a mad deadline day again and we can get some numbers in sooner rather than later. 

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 11:24, Parsonblue said:

I watched that 64-65 team and yes it was a cracking side - one of the best I've seen at Ewood.  But Pickering wanted away due to the wage situation at Ewood.  Local businessmen who had limited finances were suddenly thrust into a situation were it was impossible to compete with the big city clubs in terms of wages. 

The likes of Bill Bancroft and Bill Fox did a great job - often under appreciated at the time I admit - to keep us competitive on little or no money.  John Williams and Tom Finn ran the club superbly on limited finances compared with other Premier League clubs.

The owners made mistakes when they first got involved with the club and whilst one could understand initial mistakes the fact that ten years later the club continues its downward spiral suggests that they still haven't a clue how to run a football club.  Throwing £20 million a year at it and not coming close to getting anywhere near the play-offs, let alone promotion, is not a sign of good ownership it's a sign of complete incompetence.  

After 60 years of supporting this club I feel totally despondent about the future of this club.  I've renewed my season ticket more out of habit than anything else.  For the first time in more years than I care to remember I will not spend money renewing my away travel season ticket - partly due to Covid and partly due to the mind-numbing football that we play.

Our squad this season is weaker than last and frankly if we finish fourth from bottom I will view that as an excellent outcome.

As many on here will tell you, I've been one that has been prepared to give the owners time to get it right but, sadly, I've come to the conclusion that they will never get it right because they just aren't interested in the club. 

I know we’ve had our differences in the past but it honestly breaks my heart to read that post.

Are you reading Waggott? I suspect not. But if any of his minions are, please pass on to your boss that he is complicit in what is happening and the impact it is having on the very fans are the absolute bedrock of this club and contribute to his undeserved salary.

Either start behaving like a CEO worthy of the title or piss off somewhere else. You aren’t fit to lace Paul Senior’s slip-ons - and he is no longer in football!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I know they haven't signed new deals. Which is all that really matters. Trying and failing is still failing. Question is have they even tried?

of course they tried but you wish to continue this negative behaviour towards the club at every opportunity. Why wouldn't they tried. 

But what I do know is that Dack, JRC, Buckley and Dolan have all signed new contracts in the past months

2 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

got to say I wouldn't have signed many of these transfers here as they aren't going to any better than we got or fit into the tactics we will use. one of the best transfer this summer is Birmingham City signing Ryan Woods. very good midfielder

1 hour ago, rigger said:

has JH Rover reply to you yet?

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

of course they tried but you wish to continue this negative behaviour towards the club at every opportunity. Why wouldn't they tried. 

But what I do know is that Dack, JRC, Buckley and Dolan have all signed new contracts in the past months

got to say I wouldn't have signed many of these transfers here as they aren't going to any better than we got or fit into the tactics we will use. one of the best transfer this summer is Birmingham City signing Ryan Woods. very good midfielder

has JH Rover reply to you yet?

No.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hold on, so Luton and Preston have bigger commercial incomes than Blackburn Rovers? And that's acceptable? The same Luton that have no corporate facilities and were non league recently? 

You do realise that expenditure on facilities and academies are exempt from FFP? 

Even if they weren't why does it cost so much more here?

Deepdale is better maintained than Ewood. They have two training facilities to operate.

Simply doesn't add up which ever way you put it.

You asked for a middle ground, i told you what it is. If you want a middle ground where we don't gamble, sell players when we should or have issues with FFP, we have to cut our cloth accordingly. It's that simple

Preston income £13m, total expenditure £18.5m. Luton income £12.8m, total expenditure £14.5m.

Our income £13.8m, total expenditure £33m.

I also don't think it is acceptable to have commercial revenue plummeting as much as we have. Last season we lost Dafabet sponsorship and replaced with Recoverite at a cost of £2m. Dafabet sponsorship was worth £2.9m a season, Recoverite are paying £750k a season, that is how much our stock has fallen. Companies don't want to be associated with a laughing stock and poorly run show. There is no board and even companies in the Far East have functioning boards to hold a companies management to account.

Yes i know they are exempt but they still have to be paid for, if you are not spending on facilities and management you can put more into your squad.

Pretty much everything at Ewood these days does not make any sense what so ever.

All of this is pretty academic really, Venky's seem to be fine pumping in £20m a season and we negotiate FFP by selling everyone after 2 seasons and rebuilding. If that is the way they want to go fine, but they need the right manager in who goes for it in those 2 seasons and does not blabber on about a slow build when we all know he has 2 seasons to do it before the taps are turned off.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, phili said:

You asked for a middle ground, i told you what it is. If you want a middle ground where we don't gamble, sell players when we should or have issues with FFP, we have to cut our cloth accordingly. It's that simple

Preston income £13m, total expenditure £18.5m. Luton income £12.8m, total expenditure £14.5m.

Our income £13.8m, total expenditure £33m.

I also don't think it is acceptable to have commercial revenue plummeting as much as we have. Last season we lost Dafabet sponsorship and replaced with Recoverite at a cost of £2m. Dafabet sponsorship was worth £2.9m a season, Recoverite are paying £750k a season, that is how much our stock has fallen. Companies don't want to be associated with a laughing stock and poorly run show. There is no board and even companies in the Far East have functioning boards to hold a companies management to account.

Yes i know they are exempt but they still have to be paid for, if you are not spending on facilities and management you can put more into your squad.

Pretty much everything at Ewood these days does not make any sense what so ever.

All of this is pretty academic really, Venky's seem to be fine pumping in £20m a season and we negotiate FFP by selling everyone after 2 seasons and rebuilding. If that is the way they want to go fine, but they need the right manager in who goes for it in those 2 seasons and does not blabber on about a slow build when we all know he has 2 seasons to do it before the taps are turned off.

So basically for £15-20 million a year extra on Preston and Luton we get nothing. Infact less because they can look after their facilities, improve and expand them (Luton new stadium, Preston new training ground), and both are able to avoid our boom and bust model of having to slash costs every few years in a desperate late attempt to avoid FFP sanctions.

I don't agree that money not spent on facilities can be spent on the squad instead. I just don't think that expenditure on our academy can be used as an excuse or reason for FFP difficulties when the truth is that Venkys could tip endless cash into facilities and it ought not to harm our FFP position.

It was this 'model' of management that saw the chaos of 2015-17 and our relegation to League One. The parallels are obvious and clear. It isn't acceptable.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So basically for £15-20 million a year extra on Preston and Luton we get nothing. Infact less because they can look after their facilities, improve and expand them (Luton new stadium, Preston new training ground), and both are able to avoid our boom and bust model of having to slash costs every few years in a desperate late attempt to avoid FFP sanctions.

I don't agree that money not spent on facilities can be spent on the squad instead. I just don't think that expenditure on our academy can be used as an excuse or reason for FFP difficulties when the truth is that Venkys could tip endless cash into facilities and it ought not to harm our FFP position.

It was this 'model' of management that saw the chaos of 2015-17 and our relegation to League One. The parallels are obvious and clear. It isn't acceptable.

Yep we are completely mismanaged from top to bottom and have not learned a thing.

That is really because we have no functioning board who would normally advise against these things. If you look at it, no one, apart from Cheston is here from last time behind the scenes so Mowbray is making the same mistakes as Bowyer.

Waggott is useless and just a cash drain so here we are in our rinse and repeat playbook

• Like 4

It is always a sign of an absence of a constructive response when a poster implies that someone is merely being negative, even if the point put before them is something that has happened time and time again in the last 10 years. Why would anyones default response still be to give the owners or even Waggott or Mowbray the benefit of the doubt?!

6 hours ago, phili said:

Venky's are happy with this model, hence they keep doing it. They're obviously getting something from this setup...we just have no proof as to what that is. 

Why do they pump in this money? It's clear that a championship club need not have the expenditure that we have. So why is the expenditure so much? Where is it going to? How is this benefitting the Venkys? 

Does being in the EFL allow for lesser scrutiny than being in the Prem would? Do they receive some spectacular tax benefits back in India over this? For such 'badly advised' rich people, they seem happy enough to merrily keep on doing the same thing again and again with the same results.

They must be getting something from the current status quo...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Venky's are happy with this model, hence they keep doing it. They're obviously getting something from this setup...we just have no proof as to what that is. 

Why do they pump in this money? It's clear that a championship club need not have the expenditure that we have. So why is the expenditure so much? Where is it going to? How is this benefitting the Venkys? 

Does being in the EFL allow for lesser scrutiny than being in the Prem would? Do they receive some spectacular tax benefits back in India over this? For such 'badly advised' rich people, they seem happy enough to merrily keep on doing the same thing again and again with the same results.

You'd have to look deep. In fact, Down Down Deeper and Down. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Only forensic accounting would uncover what the real benefit is and the only forensic accounting is the type they probably have in India.

Unless money laundering, arms or drugs are suspected to be involved, which they aren't, then no authority is bothered this end. Whatever corporate spin they are pulling will be going on elsewhere as well to varying degrees. It's why such people buy such businesses and 'lose' millions through them quite happily.

The other thing to consider is one or all of them make so much money from their core business. Alongside their own personal investments that they just throw it around and don't keep track of it properly because they don't have to.

Only every now and then or when some shit his a fan is there a proper review into what's going on.  

I suspect here that's entirely possible but it's a mixture of corporate benefits for the core business owning the club. Coupled with personal ego and a money pit to get rid of spare change with the added kudos of putting money into grateful peoples pockets in England.

10 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

It's astonishing that we spend £15-20m more than Preston.

Where exactly does that go?

A lot of it still paying for past / repeated mistakes no doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised though if an entire British or European based branch of the family get paid through the club !