BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

22 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Same! Remember hearing this from primary school upwards. Sure there was always one pillock who shot every time he got the ball regardless of options and needed to be told to look around and think. But overall the encouragement was to not be afraid to have a go. 

Also there's some pretty shocking keepers out there! A B or C shots would trouble the likes of Walton and Leuits and at lower level (non professional) mistakes are common so it always seems to me to be worth a crack if there isn't a better option on. 

Paul Robinson's Rovers career ended partly because he was awful at stopping shots from distance. He let loads in from far out. 

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A lot of those age old things we were taught growing up playing the game are in direct contrast with how it tends to be played now.

Playing it across your own goal would’ve got you a rollicking in the not too distant past and it happens all the time now. And imagine a player saying he took the man and ball after a crunching tackle.

Playing it across the box has become so much easier due to the rule change allowing a goal kick not having to leave the box before being touched by another player. It opens the area up, making the pitch bigger thus making it easier for defenders to do it. It's also much harder for attackers to intercept it. Back in my day - especially at kids level - it was a comedy show at times. 

Anyway, we might as well talk about this as Rovers aren't signing anybody any time soon. The Premier League starts on August 14th. Only when those teams get their matchday squads organised will Mowbray get offered a loan or two of  players who aren't needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's something I've seen too. The heady days of Mexico '86 may never return.

Klopp's Liverpool won't shoot from 18+ yards out. I think that it was one reason why they struggled last season. It was like watching handball. They'd pass it around the box without any penetration. Someone having a long shot now and again would have forced defenders to think.

I have a few friends who coach at the university level over here. I was talking to one a few months ago and he was telling me about a course he was on. One segment was on shooting, and how to get players to prioritise "A" shots over "B" and "C" shots. Apparently they refer to the opportunity to score. "C" shots have the lowest chance of going in. The game is indeed changing. I was always told; if you don't shoot you won't score.

there was a russian player in mexico 86,igor belanov,who had a fantastic long shot,he smacked in some beauties,agree 100% about the current possesion craze,fortunately football tactics always come full circle,everyone will be trying other stuff in the next few seasons

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Same! Remember hearing this from primary school upwards. Sure there was always one pillock who shot every time he got the ball regardless of options and needed to be told to look around and think. But overall the encouragement was to not be afraid to have a go. 

Also there's some pretty shocking keepers out there! A B or C shots would trouble the likes of Walton and Leuits and at lower level (non professional) mistakes are common so it always seems to me to be worth a crack if there isn't a better option on. 

I'm making this up as I go here but surely if you took a 'C shot' (hate that term) there are ways of increasing the odds which make it a C shot opportunity. 

For example hard and low and some kind of signal you are about to have a go and few other players follow in at pace. Or even making a dummy run when they see you lining one up to open up the chance of a reverse pass when the defender goes for a block. 

I agree that so much attacking is very sterile. Crossing being the same. Big sides don't do it. They look for an overlap in the box, square it and a tap in. So long as the midfield are positioned well to pressurise and prevent a counter there's nothing wrong with giving the ball away. Sure certain moves result in goals more often. But if you spend 30 minutes playing it sideways to get there because the opposition know exactly what you're doing it's slightly self defeating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

there was a russian player in mexico 86,igor belanov,who had a fantastic long shot,he smacked in some beauties,agree 100% about the current possesion craze,fortunately football tactics always come full circle,everyone will be trying other stuff in the next few seasons

For those that weren't around; World Cup Mexico 86 Top 20 Goals BBC - YouTube

Belanov has one in starting at 3.50.

• Like 1

• Backroom

It's just the end of another FFP cycle. Seen it all before under Bowyer and wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately ends in the same way. The only difference I can foresee is that I don't think we'll be bouncing back up at the first attempt next time. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So basically it appears there will be no incomings of any kind until Armstrong is sold. 

And even then we will just be back to scraping the barrel, the club seems to have regressed 5 years since Christmas. 

There are plenty of outgoings, sadly, most are season ticket holders.

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19462969.ex-loanee-key-blackburn-rovers-pursuit-fulham-man/

Apparently Fulham want Tom Trybull, presumably they are not serious about promotion because he is rubbish.

Speculation that Stefan Johansen could then be free to move, I would be amazed if he chose us over QPR, who seem not only to be giving it a go this season, but he has been there last season on loan. He is a good, experienced midfielder at this level so he would be a good addition though.

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's something I've seen too. The heady days of Mexico '86 may never return.

Klopp's Liverpool won't shoot from 18+ yards out. I think that it was one reason why they struggled last season. It was like watching handball. They'd pass it around the box without any penetration. Someone having a long shot now and again would have forced defenders to think.

I have a few friends who coach at the university level over here. I was talking to one a few months ago and he was telling me about a course he was on. One segment was on shooting, and how to get players to prioritise "A" shots over "B" and "C" shots. Apparently they refer to the opportunity to score. "C" shots have the lowest chance of going in. The game is indeed changing. I was always told; if you don't shoot you won't score.

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I do wonder if a lot of this is data driven. Shots ranked via probability, and wingers discouraged from dribbling in order to fit into shape. (Keith Treacy mentioned the robotic nature of football and I think David Bentley said similar when he retired early) I suppose that statistically, it helps, but in regards to entertainment, at what cost?

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's just the end of another FFP cycle. Seen it all before under Bowyer and wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately ends in the same way. The only difference I can foresee is that I don't think we'll be bouncing back up at the first attempt next time. 

I’m glad someone else understands the mess that is the FFP cycle. Nothing to see here for the next 2 years, folks. 

• Like 5

• Backroom
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19462969.ex-loanee-key-blackburn-rovers-pursuit-fulham-man/

Apparently Fulham want Tom Trybull, presumably they are not serious about promotion because he is rubbish.

Speculation that Stefan Johansen could then be free to move, I would be amazed if he chose us over QPR, who seem not only to be giving it a go this season, but he has been there last season on loan. He is a good, experienced midfielder at this level so he would be a good addition though.

Bloody hell if we are in the market for the player Tom Trybull is replacing its panic stations! 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

However, if he plays well for them we can make the obvious conclusion!

1 hour ago, 47er said:

However, if he plays well for them we can make the obvious conclusion!

Was it Harrison Barnes who needed to learn to play midfield from Richie Smallwood?

The same Barnes who held his own against the big boys in a poor Fulham side.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That's the Trouble with Trybull.

More likely to get Scarlett Johansson.

9 hours ago, J*B said:

I’m glad someone else understands the mess that is the FFP cycle. Nothing to see here for the next 2 years, folks. 

If this fiasco is FFP caused then the next question is why this only seems to be a major problem for Rovers. Almost everyone else manages to avoid restrictions or this situation of being unable to do any business. We're in it for the second time in 5 years.

Why?

I predicted months ago that we would be in this position, heading into the season a shambles with no business done. Not because of FFP, but because of Venkys getting fed up and going silent again.

Reading Mowbray's comments in March and April it was obvious he was quite rightly expecting the sack and was braced for it. Yet word never came from India so inertia and on the show rolls.

The same silence is the reason behind no contract extensions, no ability even to sign free agents, no management changes, no season tickets until they had to be released.

The whole setup is a joke. Not just player recruitment. You can't use FFP to justify all of it. It is a convenient excuse.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

Trybull is a good player he was a victim of injury issues and the Mowbray chop and change syndrome. Given a long run of games he is exactly the type of defensive midfielder that we need.

Others May disagree on that but I think he is much better than we got to see 

Edited by 1864roverite

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Exactly that. Hibernation season. Staying up with kids is this season's only target.

Probably why they decided not to bother paying Mowbray and his stooges out. Waste of time and money for a dead season. New manager and start over next season.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Exactly that. Hibernation season. Staying up with kids is this season's only target.

Probably why they decided not to bother paying Mowbray and his stooges out. Waste of time and money for a dead season. New manager and start over next season.

Do you think Venkys are so clever ???

If we stay up with kids , Mowbray will be lauded has the new Pep ..

Followed by a new 5 year contract!!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I predicted months ago that we would be in this position, heading into the season a shambles with no business done. Not because of FFP, but because of Venkys getting fed up and going silent again.

Reading Mowbray's comments in March and April it was obvious he was quite rightly expecting the sack and was braced for it. Yet word never came from India so inertia and on the show rolls.

The same silence is the reason behind no contract extensions, no ability even to sign free agents, no management changes, no season tickets until they had to be released.

The whole setup is a joke. Not just player recruitment. You can't use FFP to justify all of it. It is a convenient excuse.

Listening to Tracy Crouch on Today---a Tory MP I do have time for--our club would be in the sights of the independent Overseer she longs to appoint.

Let's hope the Premier League doesn't start donating to Tory coffers and Johnson listens to her.