BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

On 27/07/2021 at 12:17, JoeH said:

And in our current position I think you do have to take the money, to follow this analogy

Someone will pay 20, so anything else is panicking. The issue is , we need the money right away due our poor recruitment set up. 

We should comfortably be signing out of contract players with all the wages we freed up, but things are at a stand still 

On 27/07/2021 at 12:51, JoeH said:

There's no sense in that. We aren't going up with him here, so why keep him to let him go free. £15m is better than £0.

Because losing him may well cost us Championship status and all the costs that come with that? Far greater than £10 million.

I hope nobody is under any illusions here. Relegation isn't only possible it is probable particularly if we lose Armstrong.

On 27/07/2021 at 12:20, Bigdoggsteel said:

The point was we are less likely to go down with him. 

Can we guarantee that he will give 100%.

I think it is fanciful to believe a sought after player playing with a year left on his deal will play to his max.

15 million is an acceptable amount for a player with only one year left on his contract who has never been tested at Premier League level and has only been performing to such a high standard for 18 month and even last season he had moments that let us down missed penalties, taking the wrong option when clear on goal.

Be surprised if we get offers as high as 20

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 12:22, Bigdoggsteel said:

Someone will pay 20, so anything else is panicking. The issue is , we need the money right away due our poor recruitment set up. 

We should comfortably be signing out of contract players with all the wages we freed up, but things are at a stand still 

Not sure on Armstrong going for £20 mill (given last year of contract and how desperately we are hawking him). But your last paragraph is spot on and a huge worry. 

We have let a lot of players on significant wages go plus all the loans and yet no one has come in. We have lost so, so many players and to not even have replaced one is a very worrying situation. The squad was short last season (albeit injuries contributed to this a lot) so without them it's only going to be more threadbare. And it takes time to get up to speed. It's a Coyle situation all over again. Taps off and the drips we do get come in late. It's going to cost us in August (and the rest of the season) big time. 

• Like 1

I would also add the sell on clause wasn't the issue. The issue was us letting him get to the last year of his contract along with having the most sorry lot of strikers available and everyone else decent running their contracts down too. Any one of these issues being addressed and the sell on clause is not so much of an issue. 

• Like 2

Armstrong’s body language when things aren’t going his way is poor. If he were to be kept, probably against his will to the end of his contract , I fear little return in terms of goals and big return in terms of dressing room disruption . 

We’re between a rock and a hard place …….Thanks Waggott and co …. 

• Like 3

On 27/07/2021 at 12:43, Dolly blue said:

Armstrong’s body language when things aren’t going his way is poor. If he were to be kept, probably against his will to the end of his contract , I fear little return in terms of goals and big return in terms of dressing room disruption . 

Exactly this...plus a massive risk to a player of a long term injury.

Lyle Taylor at Charlton downed tools when coming to the end of his contract, same as the two boro strikers Britt and Fletcher last year.

We ain't in a position were we can just say no to bids as high as 15 million when we will get nothing for him in 12 months time

• Like 4

On the Arma situation. As in all other things in life a 'single point of failure' is a disaster just waiting to happen. If he's our only source of goals then if say he gets injured or loses form we are screwed.

Makes sense to try to get two cheaper less prolific attackers even if individually they are less skilled than him. If we had loads of money then you'd ADD an extra striker along side Arma to give a bit more resilience. We have no money so in my opinion we should sell and rebuild the forward line.

On Rothwell, he has loads of talent and application, he works hard, but he fails the 'so what' test. He earns the right to take the shot, he earns the right to deliver the killer assist yet he doesn't. He does all the right things, gains all the yards and then becomes Mr Clueless.

I like both players, they have flair, but they're not right for us. Sell and regroup.

Mind, we're talking a Mowbray rebuild which is no rebuild, just more of the same with one guy up front and the latest kid with potential who can't make the grade elsewhere.

Only real solution is to change the entire management team but I guess we have to wee with the willy we've got so I'd sell both Arma and Rothwell tout suite.

On 27/07/2021 at 13:32, JacknOry said:

I see Joey Barton is reminding everyone what a despicable human being he is, once again.

Over 3 years since he was charged with assault at Barnsley and still not stood trial.

With that sort of system in place you have to wonder what's going on.

On 27/07/2021 at 12:35, islander200 said:

Can we guarantee that he will give 100%.

I think it is fanciful to believe a sought after player playing with a year left on his deal will play to his max.

15 million is an acceptable amount for a player with only one year left on his contract who has never been tested at Premier League level and has only been performing to such a high standard for 18 month and even last season he had moments that let us down missed penalties, taking the wrong option when clear on goal.

Be surprised if we get offers as high as 20

It's not acceptable. Ollie Watkins moved for 26 million. 

Of course it is in a player who is almost out of contracts interest to perform. It means he could get a better deal and a bigger team. 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:01, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course it is in a player who is almost out of contracts interest to perform. It means he could get a better deal and a bigger team. 

Watkins is a far better all round player than Armstrong and like you said was tied down to a longer contract.

If Watkins only had a year left he wouldn't have been bought for 26 million you also have to take into account clubs have had hardly any income for near 2 year. 

Also plenty of recent examples of players downing tools when coming to the end of contract.Fletcher and Britt last season amongst the most recent examples

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 12:43, Dolly blue said:

Yeah I've always said he was a bit of a luxury player, capable of the spectacular then too slow to get back on side in time. There's no denying he has been brilliant, for the last 18 months and we would have been knackered without his goals. 

He will go we just need to try and hold out for as much as possible. How much of that we will get to reinvest worries me. 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:01, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's the one year left thing BDS. From what I see I think the two are comparable and fee wise we should be looking at that kind of fee. But one year left often reduces fees by at least a third so assuming 26 mill is the going rate 17 mill would be about right. Add in that we are desperate and it's not a good situation. 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:05, islander200 said:

Watkins is a far better all round player than Armstrong and like you said was tied down to a longer contract.

If Watkins only had a year left he wouldn't have been bought for 26 million you also have to take into account clubs have had hardly any income for near 2 year. 

Also plenty of recent examples of players downing tools when coming to the end of contract.Fletcher and Britt last season amongst the most recent examples

He wasn't an £11 million better player. Scored fewer goals in a much better team at this level. Take your point about the contract situation though.

Agree that keeping him into the last 12 months of his contract (assuming he won't re-sign) is a massive call which could backfire, but there's still plenty of time to go until the end of the window. There seem to be a healthy number of clubs sniffing round too, so I think playing a bit more hardball to get a few more million quid (or 60% of a few more million quid!) isn't overly risky at this point.

Tonight we're hosting a live show in support of mental health charity, Sporting Minds UK. Whilst I know this isn't topical to the thread, this is the most active thread on the forum and we want to try and reach as many people as possible. Hopefully admins won't mind as BRFCS are getting well involved with tonights show!

Along with Rovers Radio, Rovers Analytics, BRFCS, Rovers Chat, Jaquob Crooke and other panelists we'll be hosting a live extravaganza from 7pm.

We've got appearances from Marcus Bent, John Buckley, Tyrhys Dolan, Craig Conway, Elliott Bennett, Joe Rankin-Costello and MANY more. Join us live from 7pm via the video below.

Donate to the worthy cause via https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rovers-chat

.Thanks everyone. Hope this is okay. And a huge thanks to those who have donated already! 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:20, Admiral Nelsen said:

He wasn't an £11 million better player. Scored fewer goals in a much better team at this level. Take your point about the contract situation though.

Agree that keeping him into the last 12 months of his contract (assuming he won't re-sign) is a massive call which could backfire, but there's still plenty of time to go until the end of the window. There seem to be a healthy number of clubs sniffing round too, so I think playing a bit more hardball to get a few more million quid (or 60% of a few more million quid!) isn't overly risky at this point.

We can't afford to wait until the end of the window if we need money brought in to make signings ourselves.If we had a healthier looking squad then yeah waiting till the end in the hope a team will panic and pay a few extra quid would possibly be the best thing to do.But we are just over a week till start of season and the squad is already riddled with injuries and looks weak .

• Like 2

Considering all the money in football, the way transfers are brokered is amateurish at best....

How many times do we see those idiots on Sky going mad at 1 minute to midnight over last minute transfers between massive clubs worth millions of pounds? Or better still missing the deadline and blaming the fax machine! 

The Armstrong saga is dragging on as usual, I'd set any prospective clubs a deadline to meet the price or he stays, simple as that.

We are already on the backfoot waiting for funds over this transfer, get a bleedin move Watford/Southampton or sod off would be my stance. 

If only Carlsberg ran football clubs....

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 09:19, islander200 said:

Mowbray and our coaching staff don't take to the field with Rothwell,it's not them who go missing in the matches 

I beg to differ.

We all know Mowbray can't last 90 minutes without a quick nap in the stands.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 08:12, MarkBRFC said:

Leighton Clarkson from Liverpool is my guess.

Young, cheap, two professional games so far in his career,  can wax lyrical about our relationship with a top side etc etc

Ticks all the boxes for this lot.

100%, absolutely not what we need at the moment in a team/squad packed full of untested and unproven kids and sorely lacking in experience.

Clarkson may well be a talent although that is a total unknown in regards to first team capabilities until he plays senior football. If he is better and improves our first team, by all means get him in too, but we badly need some knowhow and proven quality.

On 27/07/2021 at 11:51, JoeH said:

There's no sense in that. We aren't going up with him here, so why keep him to let him go free. £15m is better than £0.

Totally agree that we simply cannot allow him to go for free, and turn our noses up at for example 15m simply because it isn't slightly more. We are in a self inflicted weak negotiating position therefore we likely will need to accept a price a couple of million off what would we like had the situation been managed better. 

I don't get the logic of "We aren't going up with him here" though, we are so far away from challenging for promotion that such an argument is totally irrelevant. It would be like Southampton and Watford deciding against signing him because he wont get them into the Champions League.